Thread: Nostalrius Ends

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    Again:

The product being offered by bootleggers is free.

Bootleggers don't have to do even a fraction of what Blizz development proper would have to do to integrate old-ass WoW into modern bnet.

Bootleggers have far, far, far fewer security and DDOS risks than a big company like Blizz.
    And yet somthing like a 1/5th of the current subs for retail wow signed up for the game. DO some math. People want it and were willing to deal with low development experience and inferior servers.

Rip Nostalrius. I hope we will have a new one pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Then this is going to keep happening untill blizzard puts the servers up. Sorry but over a million registered accounts. OBV there was a huge calling for it. And considering how dismall the current sub numbers are for blizzard this should be eye opening. But if they would rather people keep putting up private servers in countries they cant do dick about then thats what will happen.
    And only 150000 of those were actually active, according to their own numbers.
    That's the same as saying that the 100+ million total registered accounts on retail means that WoD is the most popular game ever.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That doesn't answer my question. That answers why Blizzard shut them down, it doesn't answer why you care, or how it would affect you in any way, shape or form.

Nice try though.
    Actually, that wasn't what you said, though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Irony of posters here shouting "copyright" or "you break the rules" when this site profit from datamining (against EULA btw) unreleased content.
    Blizz is fully tolerant of MMOC's activities, and if they weren't, you'd know it.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    EULA != law.
    Copyright violation = illegal
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Why is this whining thread of rose-tinted thieves not shut down yet. It has a longer duplicate thread of equally whiny people

Then this is going to keep happening untill blizzard puts the servers up. Sorry but over a million registered accounts. OBV there was a huge calling for it. And considering how dismall the current sub numbers are for blizzard this should be eye opening. But if they would rather people keep putting up private servers in countries they cant do dick about then thats what will happen.
    Then that's fine. Businesses always have to budget money for legal defense, cyber security, etc etc. Part of operating in today world with people who think that just because they want something that they deserve it. Pirating games happens.

That's also a pretty shitty argument. Either appease them or we'll keep doing it! There's no reason posting the laundry list of reason why your argument is bullcrap. Just read through the 50 tantrum throwing threads on this forum.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Some good points in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    These three reasons aren't exclusive, you know that right? Two of them are valid reasons against pirate servers, and all of them are valid reasons against official vanilla servers.
    Using nostalgia as an argument to me sounds invalid on so many reasons. You (not you specifically) put a feeling on someone else and say that's how that person feel and that's how it is. People have been playing on these servers now, for a long time and they keep returning when old ones shut down. People say they like this play style and this kind of game, but only get accused for being fully nostalgic.

Breaking the law argument doesn't even matter in this overall discussion, now does it? People knew the server was illegal, but it's not Nostalrius alone they are wanting back, it's a classic realm they want to be provided, done or approved by Blizzard to exist. "Breaking the law" argument is invalid in a discussion where you want a real classic server to exist.

Which brings me to the profitable argument which is probably the only one I can see is a valid one, but the numbers we have been shown looks on the upside to me, even if it only was 50% of those numbers, and then you can discuss the whole PR deal how it will look for people on the outside, with the morality rising amongst the community for Blizzard finally expanding their views and trying something out for their community and player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    I played in Vanilla and it was utter shit. Buggy as hell, way too grindy, and you were forced into playing only one spec for most classes.

Quit whining, you pleb.
    To each his own, I started playing on a private vanilla server this week and I'm really enjoying it. Sure it has its issues, but overall it's been a long time since I've been so immersed in the game.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would hate every minute of it, though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    Copyright violation = illegal
    A) Your point wasn't being debated
    B) But since you're here; It depends on the country. Some EU countries protect their citizens from EULAs
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Why is this whining thread of rose-tinted thieves not shut down yet. It has a longer duplicate thread of equally whiny people
    because people bump it with jabs like these provoking them further

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I don't think Blizzard cares. Sub numbers will go up when Legion pre-patch hits. No, they'll never be as high as they were during WotLK, but they have other cash cows now: Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and soon, Overwatch. The fact that they introduced the WoW game time token for gold just shows that they can do without money from WoW subs because they're making more than enough from their other IPs.

I have nothing against private servers or those who wish to play on them. Vanilla was a really fun time for me and I think it'd be cool to go back and relive that again. Just don't hold your breath waiting for Blizzard to make official vanilla servers because I really don't see that happening.

And yet somthing like a 1/5th of the current subs for retail wow signed up for the game.
    So you're comparing total accounts for the free private server (not active accounts) vs. active accouts (not total) for the live game.

Hey, let's flip that around. Nost had something like 0.1% of the total number of people who have ever played retail WoW using it at the time it shut down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Good to see they got shut down.
    This is what I find myself wondering about the most. Okay, so people don't like the idea of vanilla servers and prefer the game to move forward. I get that.

What I don't get is why people are happy that a community-run and voluntary project was destroyed. Typically, I get this type of thing:

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    It was illigal.... End of reason.
    People leeching off an IP. There you go.
    It's nice to see those toxic annoying players get rekt by Blizzard.
    Now, assuming Flurryfang meant "illegal", we're still no nearer a reason why the server should have got shut down and all those players thrown onto the scrapheap. Most of the reasonable commentary on the subject, even from those who supported the Nostalrius project (among others), accept that Blizzard were well within their rights to act as they did. But this isn't a technical issue; it's a moral one. There was no "leeching" because the entire project was non-profit, and arguing that it was nice to see "players get rekt" is about as toxic as one can be on the subject.

Here's where I stand:

Nostalrius was a community-driven project that happened because Blizzard stubbornly refuses to create a legacy/progression server despite there having been a clamour for one for years. Their reasoning is perfectly valid - they don't believe it'd be as popular as those asking for it seem to think, and they believe that the development of future content is more important. But those that do want such a server are then faced with a choice - do they accept that the game they loved is now gone forever, or do they try to recreate what once existed for them? The answer became obvious, hence the existence of private servers. Again, from my own point of view, I find it interminably strange that one of the best games ever made, and the most commercially successful gaming experience of all time, doesn't exist in the form that made it so successful. The Cataclysm revamp effectively destroyed World of Warcraft as it was, pre-expansion, and it strikes me as odd that Blizzard are so strong in their opposition to its return.

The cost is minimal. The argument that they'd need old code or old servers is a smokescreen from a company that makes billions from a game they don't invest anywhere near as much in. One QA pass would squash the bugs, given what they now know, and support would be easy to achieve if we’re only talking about a single, unconnected, server (which is what players want – the real sense of community).

Instead, their reaction has caused untold negative press. Last I looked, the Nostalrius petition that likely won’t make any difference, was over 75,000 signatures and rising. The community on the server was consistently growing, and its population at closure dwarfed any single retail server. Blizzard weren’t losing anything from the server’s existence as it was non-profit and ran by volunteers.

And this is where we reach what I consider the moral conundrum:

When a corporate entity decides what’s best for their customers, without trial or consultation, their customers will go elsewhere. A non-profit volunteer organisation steps in to fill the gap, giving up untold volumes of their time to do so, and it’s out of a love for what the corporate entity originally created and then chose to destroy. That organisation then becomes successful, disproving the corporate claim that nobody would be interested, and then suddenly the legal hammer comes down.

To me, this looks like little more than the actions of a vindictive bully. They stood to gain nothing from their actions, weren’t losing anything within the status quo, but chose to act regardless. What we know about bullies is that they typically behave on insecurity, and that insecurity could easily be trailed back to their latest expansion that, by most reasonable reckoning, managed to throw away over half of its players via bad design, a despicable lack of content, and rudderless leadership.

The Nostalrius community didn’t happen in order to steal intellectual property, or benefit from the use of it. It happened because of a refusal to provide an experience that people loved, for no good reason, and ended up being extremely successful. Blizzard could have shut down every private server in the world via the creation of their own, something they now know would be popular, but instead decided to bully their own fans and players.

I doubt the reckoning for this action is over. And while nobody disputes that Blizzard had every right to behave the way they did, all reasonable discourse I’ve seen on the subject concludes that they made a mistake.

Let’s see what Blizzard, and the community, learns from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    What I don't get is why people are happy that a community-run and voluntary project was destroyed.
    I might have felt a little bit of sympathy if I'd heard about it in passing. It was inevitable but it still kinda sucks.

Seeing a giant week-long pity parade has sapped any sympathy I might have had. It's not a mystery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Because people can't read the threads to see that there is a thread for this shit ^^
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    EULA != law
    edit: meant to add "depending on the country you're in/hosted in
    This site is profiting from Blizzards IP and Blizzard could issue DMCA take down here or any youtube lets play/twitch stream if they wanted, but just because Blizzard "tolerates" doesn't change that this site and many other fansites/youtube channels/streamers are profiting from Blizzard copyright protected game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    I might have felt a little bit of sympathy if I'd heard about it in passing. It was inevitable but it still kinda sucks.

Seeing a giant week-long pity parade has sapped any sympathy I might have had. It's not a mystery.
    This so much. i come on MMO-C for World of warcraft news and lore topics. having these nostralius posts pop up everywhere is just annoying.