Thread: Nostalrius Ends

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Because people can't read the threads to see that there is a thread for this shit ^^
    I thought this was that thread. Didn't really pay much attention to it until others pointed it out. It's 1:30am and I'm just waiting for my newborn to get back up so I can feed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    already got a thread of shit flinging

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    This site is profiting from Blizzards IP and Blizzard could issue DMCA take down here or any youtube lets play/twitch stream if they wanted, but just because Blizzard "tolerates" doesn't change that this site and many other fansites/youtube channels/streamers are profiting from Blizzard copyright protected game.
    This site likely falls under fair use here in the states. Also, DMCA applies to US law.
    Not sure where this site is hosted from, but iirc it's not the states.

Here's the international version of the DMCA you're looking for. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPO_Copyright_Treaty
    Fair use would still apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    This needs another thread...

Also if you were having "fun" on a private server you should of educated yourself more on the legality of private servers and how it would all come to end. Private servers have always been against the rules, so it's your fault you invested yourself into something temporary.

Why oh why is there a need for a second thread exactly like the first?
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    I bet you did cross the road on a red light once. That's illegal. Better shut you down? (Oh and all the evil things people here wish to nost players who enjoyed the game.)
    Nost are on trial along with the hosting company. That means they've already received a warning & ignored it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Irony of posters here shouting "copyright" or "you break the rules" when this site profit from datamining (against EULA btw) unreleased content.
    I do not believe you are correct on this score. The issue in the Eula you refer to allows for people to use the IP with Blizzard's permission.

Data Mining: Use third-party software that intercepts, collects, reads, or "mines" information generated or stored by the Battle.net Client or the Game(s); provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third-party user interfaces;
    I would be very surprised if Blizzard and MMO-C do not have an arrangement where Blizzard allows and even encourages MMO-C to publish information about the game content in exchange for sticking to what Blizzard is happy with. It's common sense - Blizzard loves their fansites because they're great for publicity.

This thread is good example how shitty wow community is these days when so many posters are "enjoying" because other players lost something they enjoyed.
    I don't think this is a fair accusation at all. There are many legitimate reasons for people to dislike Nostalrius, first and foremost that it was a parasite feeding off Blizzard's IP. Private servers harm WoW and to argue otherwise would be, IMO, disingenuous and/or self serving. It is perfectly rational for anyone who actually likes WoW to feel animosity towards Nostalrius and what it represents.

Deleted
    I don't really give a shit, if you play on those servers or not doesn't harm me one bit.
    But the law was broken so I can't really blame blizzard for protecting their investment.

All of this doesn't matter to me though .

10+ Year Old Account
    Irony of posters here shouting "copyright" or "you break the rules" when this site profit from datamining (against EULA btw) unreleased content. This thread is good example how shitty wow community is these days when so many posters are "enjoying" because other players lost something they enjoyed.

I never played on Nost, but I am glad that at least some players got to experience something similar again or experience it first time. Hopefully it is signal for Blizzard that they do some research what made the game great back then.
    But, they don't profit. They display. That is it. Blizzard haven't taken action, they just warn that what has been datamined might not always be right.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    I might have felt a little bit of sympathy if I'd heard about it in passing. It was inevitable but it still kinda sucks.

Seeing a giant week-long pity parade has sapped any sympathy I might have had. It's not a mystery.
    I get that, I really do - and I think a lot of people are in that boat.

Myself, personally, having played on Nostalrius... Yeah, I was pissed off. But when I rolled on the server I accepted that, at any time, the hammer would fall and all of my time would have been wasted. But I'm not a sunk-cost sort of guy; my disappointment didn't, at any stage, turn into regret at the time I'd spent there. I enjoyed it, and will remember enjoying it for as long as I remember it.

Maybe an action could be to have all those players who built that community reroll onto a single dead server on retail (there are plenty to choose from), and rebuild their community. Sadly, it'd mean paying for a product that simply isn't worth paying for, and maybe that's the hurdle Blizzard just don't believe they can truly overcome.

If a lot of people like old model cars actually they should continue to make old models with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    I'm not on the moral high ground I think you will find that's the forum solicitors. I have no beef with blizzard shutting it down, but what I do have beef with is people telling me it was only nostalgia and a legacy server shouldn't be allowed.

So what is your opinion on a legacy server?
    You can think that all you want but it's on both sides. I don't even care who's worse because it's irrelevant. The whole "Stealing is wrong" isn't the only type of moral high ground there is. There's plenty of people, hell there's a guy on the very page I'm quoting you from, trying to argue the "it's doing no harm" position among other attempts to claim the high ground.

Personally? Couldn't give less of a shit if one existed. I enjoyed Vanilla while it existed but I see no reason beg for it to come back. I have no problem with people who legit enjoyed Vanilla and want to go back. But for me personally? Sorry I remember the class I love being a second class bitch of a citizen only fit to innervate the "real healers" and barley being allowed to tank 5 mans without at least 1 random throwing a fit just as much as I remember the fun, and stress, I had questing and the friends I made. I personally liked TBC and I think you're high in the head for prefering Vanilla to TBC if you want to go back to anything but I also have no desire to return to TBC because that's not a MMO. That's a boring stagnant bigger pile of shit then what any of you claim WoD is and I'll choose not to play it if it ever comes to be and I also don't think it's worth the effort to make a TBC server. There's always going to be people that enjoy it still and would happily play the same Vanilla for 50 years with no changes, stuck in their little Naxx patch world, just like there's people who do those crazy speed runs of Zelda for their 500th play through. That's fine. I have no beef with people who enjoy and still enjoy Vanilla like yourself, but what I do have a beef with is the follows:

Keep in mind in my typing of this I may have used the wrong pronouns, but I am not specifically referring to you. DOn't feel like editing it.

All my previous statement is true with the caveat that Legacy server's are a profitable endeavor for blizzard. And with that being said I think they're not and I think most people whining for one ignore the reality of the situation that no matter how you feel that Blizzard is far more qualified to make that decision then you are. Period. There is absolutely no arguing that. You can make the claim that they are wrong(and they might be), but I irrefutably maintain that without Blizzard's vastly superior position in terms of knowledge about whether or not Vanilla would even be a money making endeavor in the first place you can never hope to truly make an accurate judgment about whether it's a good idea for them as a company. Instead what we get is whining and tantrum throwing and a horrid miss use of numbers fueled by a child like entitlement or just an outright hatred for Blizzard just as often as we get the passionate player who just misses vanilla. I see the same people saying Blizzard has become a bunch of money grubbing, nickel and diming, cheap fuck the player for profit company then claim Legacy Servers would be a gold mine and can't see the own inconsistent in their statements. But any time I point that out I'm labled a blizzard shill or blah blah blah.

And that also follows that even if it is a profitable endeavor, and as much as people clamor no one can prove it, that doesn't mean you get to steal it to play it and then get butthurt when you get caught and your clubhouse get shut down like quite a few people did for Nost. It's Blizzard's IP and as shitty as IP and copyright law can be in this country this isn't one of those times where it's in the wrong. You continue to appeal to Blizzard and if they disagree then accept that fact.

When I didn't enjoy WoW I quit, simple as that. Do I miss TBC and the experience I had? You bet. It was new and awesome and fun. But just going back to it isn't going to recapture that feeling and I'd much rather see exciting new content or find a different game to play and I see no reason why Blizzard should ever provide a legacy server if it's going to lose them money.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    This is what I find myself wondering about the most. Okay, so people don't like the idea of vanilla servers and prefer the game to move forward. I get that.

What I don't get is why people are happy that a community-run and voluntary project was destroyed. Typically, I get this type of thing:
    Please quit with your non-stop appeal to emotion. And yes you're trying to appeal to emotion with that last statement. Supercool hit it on the head.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2016-04-12 at 08:41 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I would be very surprised if Blizzard and MMO-C do not have an arrangement where Blizzard allows and even encourages MMO-C to publish information about the game content in exchange for sticking to what Blizzard is happy with. It's common sense - Blizzard loves their fansites because they're great for publicity.
    I almost passed out due to my agreement with Raelbo.

I think conflating Nostalrius with MMO-C is misleading at best, and downright dishonest at worst. Boub and Chaud are pretty fair when it comes to what they datamine, and are typically good at protecting secrets when asked to. I doubt there's a formal agreement, but there certainly appears to be an understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimscoes View Post

-> RIP Nostalrius 2015-2016
    Oh, that totally changes the perspective. I thought that thing was running for years or something. Most of those people would have quit in a couple of more months anyway, LOL.

You think you want it, but you don't!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    I bet you did cross the road on a red light once. That's illegal. Better shut you down? (Oh and all the evil things people here wish to nost players who enjoyed the game.)
    If the police see me cross the road on a red light, then i would accept if i got a ticket. I did something illigal, which i thought i could get away with. I do it a lot and i do get away with it, but i am aware, that if i get caught, i will have to pay.

All the Nost players here, got to play a game, even an enjoyable game, for free. But nothing is ever free. There is always a cost or a risk. The risk was that it was going to be shut down. As i have said in the main thread, i had really hoped for blizzard to cowork with the Nost people, but i also understand that they shut it down.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Total amount of grams of sympathy: Would you look at that, below zero.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    And yet somthing like a 1/5th of the current subs for retail wow signed up for the game. DO some math. People want it and were willing to deal with low development experience and inferior servers.
    I DID the maths.

800K accounts created
    150K active
    13K peak activity

So, basically,

1) 650K/800K (82%) of the accounts that signed up in the last year are inactive.
    2) On average the "active" accounts spend less than an hour per day playing.

Comparing WoW's current subs to Nost's total accounts is pretty misleading, since if you wanted to make a fair comparison you should compare it to WoW's total number of accounts created - which hit 100M in 2014. And then you tell other people to do the Math?

Yes I get it, there is a group of players who were passionate about Nostalrius. But please don't try and misrepresent them as statistically relevant in the context of the total WoW playerbase. They're not.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Unless I am misinformed, Nostralius wasn't doing anything for profit. Scapegaming was. Big difference. I've only read on this forum that Nost was taking money to support the actual, physical servers to run the game, and it was in donations, not required. (If someone could point me to proof either for or against this, I would be glad to read it, because I'm still not sure about the money/profits involved with Nostralius)
    It's still a copyright violation.

It doesn't matter if they were making money off it or not. Copyright covers the distibution and reproducing rights which stand regardless if a profit was made or not.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Deleted
    This site might have that now (I don't know if they do), but that certainly wasn't case early days of this site. Blizzard would actually suspend you from official forums that linked here because they didn't want players to talk about unreleased content.

I don't think this is a fair accusation at all. There are many legitimate reasons for people to dislike Nostalrius, first and foremost that it was a parasite feeding off Blizzard's IP. Private servers harm WoW and to argue otherwise would be, IMO, disingenuous and/or self serving. It is perfectly rational for anyone who actually likes WoW to feel animosity towards Nostalrius and what it represents.
    Just like this site and all these youtube channels/streamers are profiting from Blizzard IP. This site is way past of "fair use" and fair use doesn't protect youtubers who make lets play videos or streamers from DMCA. Blizzard just turn blind eye to it, but that doesn't change that this site and all these youtubers/streamers are profiting from Blizzard copyright protected game.

Deleted
    This site is profiting from Blizzards IP and Blizzard could issue DMCA take down here or any youtube lets play/twitch stream if they wanted, but just because Blizzard "tolerates" doesn't change that this site and many other fansites/youtube channels/streamers are profiting from Blizzard copyright protected game.
    It's called "fair use" and totally not the same thing, lol. Nostalrius was providing players with the same service as Blizzard (in the eyes of the law), MMO-C provides us with screen shots...