Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If you haven't figured out by now that Blizzard has no plans to increase content distribution going forward I don't know what to tell you.
    Things won't change in Legion, they will probably get worse.

Blizzard is milking you guys for all you're worth.
    It is most obvious a few years ago they had a meeting with the execs and decided not to invest much time or resources into WoW anymore. Legion is going to be a failure of epic proportions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steps :

1) Create more incentive to complete all the existing content and collections

Understand that it's useless to throw more and more content if 80% of the playerbase consider the content done when they do 20% of said content because they're not interested on the rest

7+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, they could come out with small content patches, like the ZA patch in TBC. Or they could just make more content They have increased their team, they have not done anything extreme with the code lately, so making more stuff should not really be that hard. They made more content pr.month in TBC and Cata, so why not now? The amount of content produced pr. dev is also very low, so something is wrong here So, yeah, i think that just asking/demanding more content, is a thing that can reduce content drought. Other then that, make more small patches. It does not have to increase the content by much... Like 1-2 events, which have some quests and some lore, some more achievments and maybe a small extra area opened for people to farm something in It will proberly keep people happy for a month or 2, atleast up to a major patch every 4-6 month

Blizzard really needs to focus on replay value, life after raids.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    There are certain things where they are just being lazy or intransigent and you don't need to be a software engineer to work that out.
    Saying a company is lazy is itself a lazy argument. How exactly would "Blizzard" be lazy? It's a company. It has employees who are paid. If said employees are lazy they get fired and replaced. The company has zero incentive to allow laziness within its employees.

Intransigent? Sure, I can accept that they have their way of doing things, a way that takes time and produces results unacceptable to some players. That doesn't mean they would have more success by changing the way they do things. Sure, they could change their whole approach and maybe it would result in faster content - or maybe it would result in complete disaster. Maybe they actually have been trying to change their way of doing things, and that is part of why everything is taking longer.

Case in point. Pvp. No new bg's in wod or legion. Here's what a bg is. It is a chunk of the existing world content chopped up and instanced. That isn't difficult to do. All the content is already there. It should take a day or something at most. How is this difficult? I'd really like you to answer that but I don't believe there is a plausible explantion.
    Maybe this is the problem with not being a software engineer....you can't understand why the task is difficult because you have never had to do it. You've simply abstracted the problem into oversimplified chunks and then assumed that it is easy to do. FYI - it is hard enough for experienced engineers to avoid abstracting in this way - we look at problems and we solve the critical issues conceptually in our minds. And then we build the system and discover the other 90% of the work that actually needs to be done.

Some things do need more time, but it is increasingly difficult to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt when they repeatedly get caught bullshitting.
    They got caught bullshitting?

I get that they fail to meet expectations, even those they themselves have created, that doesn't mean they were bullshitting. I genuinely think that they had hoped and expected to produce content faster for both WoD and Legion. And what I am trying to get across is that they didn't fail to meet their goals because they were bullshitting. They failed because that is the nature of this kind of project - it always takes longer to build than what was planned.

But I guess if you want to assume that it is always because they are bullshitting, then you are going to attribute every failure to more bullshitting. It's a circular argument. All I will say is this: Why would they bullshit? What do they hope to achieve?

In the end I choose to believe that they are doing their best to produce the content as fast as possible, and I recognise that they probably won't be able to deliver on their own expectations. You choose to believe that they're dishonest and deceitful. In the end maybe I am wrong, maybe you are wrong, but I would ask you this: Whose choice leaves them happier? Sure doesn't seem like yours does

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    We know that. The question is "How?" How can Blizzard create a lot more content in a lot less time given what happened in WoD and given all the additional systems that need maintaining.
    Oh that's easy. They need department managers that actually give a fuck. It's really that simple. If they had better management both in the content creation and the overall project development departments, they would be able to push deadlines faster. As it stands? Their work ethic is skewed, sloppy and above all other concerns, slow.

There wasn't an air of quality with WoD after it was rushed, so the idea that Blizzard takes its time because of quality is pure nonsense. At the end of the day though? There are probably a ton of reasons why they are slow with content creation (even though they really, REALLY should not be considering their team, resources and offhand cash.), but the biggest reason I can see from a quasi-outside-looking-in state is management and accountability.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quite easy. They need to create more content patches per expansion since content patches generally take a lot less time than an expansion to develop. This would give them more time to develop an expansion parallell.

They could stop doing major overhauls of the classes every expansion since it's more often than not not something anyone has asked for. Minor adjustments and refinements can go a long way.

To avoid having to do number squishes every other expansion they could fix the problem permanently instead of temporarily. Anyone with a decent mathematical mind could sit down and figure out a good solution in a couple of nights with tweaks to past and future content.

I'm amazed how out of touch with reality they are that they can't see this themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    I'm not interested in a pedantic argument about wording.
    Because that allows you to completely ignore what people are actually saying. Well done.

There's more complaining about the drought because it's on the heels of a 14 month drought from 5.4. It is a consistent trend now.
    No. The problem is the length of the drought itself. 14 months are unacceptable. 12 months are unacceptable.
    Even if it was made worse because of the MoP drought, that is not a point in Blizzard's favour.

Please offer suggestions as to what content you plan on designing that is fun to play for 14 months at a time though.
    Is that a serious question? What content? I don't even know how to answer that question.

The same content as usual? Raids, dungeons, quests.

What else?

Are you trying to say that no type of content could be fun to play for 14 months at a time? Yeah. Right on. See that's the whole point. That's why there shouldn't be a content gap of 14 months. The problem is the length of the content gap. Bring new content every 6-8 months.

Create a game with more open world content -- especially player-driven.

ArchAge was a TERRIBLY managed game but as long as people are playing it, it has content. That's the only way. Sandbox. Emergent gameplay. Living world.

Only by having millions more unsubscribe in protest will they get the clue.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Make content last longer. They make wonderful stuff, but not counting organized group activities(real raiding, rated BGs, rated arena) you burn through it significantly faster than pre-wotlk content. That's where the timegates come from. To give us a sense of pacing, which isn't actually there. The entire garrison campaign took me a few hours at most, but was timegated to last weeks.

It's OK to make questing take a few weeks, make some dungeons take a few hours, make professions something that requires effort. Having objectives take time isn't a bad thing. Having bosses not drop all their items at once isn't necessary. Not everything has to be accessible to someone that plays 2 hour/saturday.

It's just insulting to the WoW fanbase that you can be done with so much content so quickly, and then have to stay subscribed for timegates to reset.
    Last edited by Pieterman; 2016-04-12 at 04:39 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's cheaper to make content like a hearthstone expansion or a HotS skin than to sink a huge amount of work into a content patch that only brings fickle players back for a month or two.
    While that makes for a nice little conspiracy theory, the fact is that they are spending more money on WoW development than they ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While that makes for a nice little conspiracy theory, the fact is that they are spending more money on WoW development than they ever have.
    Source ? Or just pulling out of ass ?

Deleted
    It certainly doesn't show.

Maybe I am just "odd" because I am an engineer with 15 years experience working on complex systems. But yes, I get how someone who is an expert at playing games would have a better idea of how long this shit should take to build. /s

Look, I get it, you want your content faster, and you aren't particularly happy that it isn't coming faster. That doesn't mean your expectations are reasonable though. Some things just take time. I suggest working on learning how to be patient. It will serve you well in all aspects of life.

don`t be an apologist for blizzard. anything over 5 months for a new raid is just lazy and/or a symptom for wrong priorities by the team behind this game. a full year is nothing is just scandalous and suicidal. new dungeons and world content/bosses should also come rather frequently in wow. Now..If they have a problem putting out more content they should hire more people or maybe find new slower paced jobs. "no" excuse are good enough for this farce. people won`t come online and pay for so little interesting to do in return. this is just common sense
    Last edited by wooters; 2016-04-12 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Well it's nice that they are spending all that money on WoW. What's interesting is that even with the resources and the budget, they still can't produce a piece of quality content faster than the crow flies.

As I said before, it's likely due to a lack of core management. That's one of the only things that could be plaguing a company that has the resources, talent and money to do something, but still can't do it in a timely manner.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Well when we start seeing the actual fruits of those seeds feel free to throw that in my face. Until that time you're the only who looks like a looney for believing Blizzard's "double the size development team!" propaganda when there's zero evidence to support it.

Raids: Instead of a single 12ish encounter raid every 6-8 months, adopt something akin to the tick-tock cycle; first raid, have it be around 9 bosses, give or take 1; in 4-6 months, have a smaller scale raid of sorts, even if it is based off of a side story and not the main plot of the expansion (where said raid is 5 bosses, give or take 1).

Daily stuff: A hub related to or tied to each raid wouldn't be a terrible thing; again, tick-tock, or perhaps it could alternate where if you have the larger scale raid, the daily hub isn't as massive, then vice versa. Netherwing and Order of Cloud Serpent offer unique rewards (in a way) as an example of things that don't have to directly tie to the raid. Rep grinds (at this point in the game) aren't really a necessity, given how there are so damn many of them now.

They've got to divvy things up a little and spread the love out instead of giving us a clump of stuff and then shooing people away for a year or more.

they can reduce content droughts by doing one simple thing: quit fiddling with game systems and various "modes" and just create some good old fashioned content like a dungeon or a raid.

It appears that the current game is being run by system/mode designers rather than content creators. Just take a look at the upcoming mythic/mythic+ dungeon system that requires a table/figure to understand what the hell they are planning to do there. Things should not be this complicated. Core of good MMO game play has always been interactions with other players and "player-created" content, rather than a plethora of different convoluted game play modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemb View Post
    they can reduce content droughts by doing one simple thing: quit fiddling with game systems and various "modes" and just create some good old fashioned content like a dungeon or a raid.

It appears that the current game is being run by system/mode designers rather than content creators. Just take a look at the upcoming mythic/mythic+ dungeon system that requires a table/figure to understand what the hell they are planning to do there. Things should not be this complicated. Core of good MMO game play has always been interactions with other players and "player-created" content, rather than a plethora of different convoluted game play modes.
    I agree with this 100%

There's no reason for Blizzard to reach up inside the game's asshole and rearrange everything every single expansion. Just make some fucking content.