10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xhisors View Post
    haha leveling as a priest *shivers* that was my first toon.. and it was hell.
    Wait, I was wrong again. My Hunter was Spacegoat. My Shaman was in Vanilla. Had them crossed.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    On Nost, I leveled a Dwarf Priest from 1-60. I had 0 problems o_O.
    Get a wand at level 5 and you're golden c:
    Shield>Pain>Mind Blast>Wand to death.
    I remember leveling my priest at the end of vanilla, it was a very smooth experience as shadow.
    I remember it vividly as it took 6 days 13 hours /played, the fastest I had ever leveled a character from 1 to 60. Good times

900,000 did have some interest in it. c:
    That's more than enough, MORE than enough to host legacy servers.
    I still don't know how it's hurting people that don't want them.. People that don't want them can stay on retail, people that do want them can play on them. Win/win. Satisfies BOTH parties.
    Except you miss the glaring point that Blizzard either A) Needs to hire even more people for customer support, maintanence, balance/design, etc, or B) Needs to take people away from the team/employee pool to support legacy servers which will contribute to slower content & potentially longer droughts due to fewer manpower resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Then is wasn't like vanilla, because it was murder.
    Vanilla is a LOT easier with 10 years of exp on your belt. I mean, if I ever pulled 2 mobs it was most likely going to result in death, lol. Plus, it was all on the 1.12.1 patch, with raid/content being released progressively.. So classes had it a tiny bit easier than say the "Beginning"

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Fair, but I'd imagine just a C&D letter from Blizzard would make people shit the bed unless the server was based in Russia.
    Yeah probably. I just have no idea what makes them go after anyone. Was it they finally got noticed, finally got big enough to care about or finally the legal team got to it after higher priority items. Or hell did one Blizzard's staff members get banned by Nos. LOL that would be funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Why do people act like Blizzard commonly shuts down private servers? There's one that's been up for over 4 years by now that makes a profit off of selling stuff in the game. Hell, they even launched another server to go with their other group of servers about half a year ago and it has almost as many players as Nost does.

The only reason Nost was shutdown was the location of the server, which was France. Other servers are still safe.
    Well and because it was the largest and people were drawing attention to it. Ultimately I don't even think it was size that got it, I think it was the attention on twitch that forced Blizzard to do something about it. Being in France just made it easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahnah View Post
    Why do the people arguing that it should have been shut down actually care so much? is it just because its illegal?
    Yeah, what's with all this law stuff? I mean, it's just the foundation upon which the existence of civilization depends. Nothing too important about respect for law, right?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I want to interject with some numbers basically and you can continue with the throwing of rocks.

Registered Accounts for Nostalrius existence: 800.000 (rounded)
    That includes everyone that registered, whether they played and for how long notwithstanding.
    Can/should only be used as an indication of general interest.

Active Accounts (i.e unique logins over the course of 10 days): 150.000 (rounded)
    This would probably be a bit higher if counted over the range of 30 days as is customary for active counts.

Concurrent Peak Players (i.e players logged in at the same time): ~19.000 (rounded up)
    This counts both the PvP and the PvE realm with the PvP one being the most populated at a ratio of roughly of 4:1.
    PvP realm was also the older one and further ahead in patch progression.
    This is the only number that any player on Nostalrius can verify through the /who command
    (note: the total was both factions, so seeing 13.5k meant everyone on the realm at that time)
    or by using an addon like CensusPlus to cross-reference.
    No discrepancies between the tracked accounts and actual players were ever detected
    (and believe me with such a statistical sample, sooner or later someone would have detected "ghost" numbers)

We have no reason to believe the numbers were fudged in any way.

This number is both somewhat smaller due to some of these logins probably being multiboxers
    (multiboxing was prohibited on the servers and bannable but some are bound to have slipped through)
    and some of it probably being low level gold-sellers which one can argue are not really part of the server community.
    Nostalrius GMs were very heavy handed with offenses, no warnings, no 3strike rule, I never saw such an account live to spam another day.
    Number is also somewhat larger due to server being international so some timezone banding is to be expected.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 2016-04-12 at 09:24 PM. Reason: removed data I couldn't find reference for

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Except you miss the glaring point that Blizzard either A) Needs to hire even more people for customer support, maintanence, balance/design, etc, or B) Needs to take people away from the team/employee pool to support legacy servers which will contribute to slower content & potentially longer droughts due to fewer manpower resources.
    Nost had a team of 30 people. Out of those 30 people I believe 26 were GMs. It's not going to need THAT much because for 1, it's not going to need updates. No balance/design etc. Leave it alone. Customer Support and Maint. is all it needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I remember leveling my priest at the end of vanilla, it was a very smooth experience as shadow.
    I remember it vividly as it took 6 days 13 hours /played, the fastest I had ever leveled a character from 1 to 60. Good times
    Absolutely c:

Once my Dwarf hit 40, I respeced from 5/XX (Disc for dat wand damage ;P) and went full shadow. Getting Shadowform was fucking amazing. Loved it. :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Yeah probably. I just have no idea what makes them go after anyone. Was it they finally got noticed, finally got big enough to care about or finally the legal team got to it after higher priority items. Or hell did one Blizzard's staff members get banned by Nos. LOL that would be funny.
    I keep getting this feeling one of the live devs was playing it in the office and got caught. Always missing deadlines and bitching about the living bomb during meetings was probably a tell. Damnit, James...

Why do people act like Blizzard commonly shuts down private servers? There's one that's been up for over 4 years by now that makes a profit off of selling stuff in the game. Hell, they even launched another server to go with their other group of servers about half a year ago and it has almost as many players as Nost does.

The only reason Nost was shutdown was the location of the server, which was France. Other servers are still safe.
    Certain self play programs thought that for the longest time as well. Look at what eventually happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Yes. That's how modern storytelling works.
    ripping off is how modern storytelling works
    uh huh
    not a shill at all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Yeah, what's with all this law stuff? I mean, it's just the foundation upon which the existence of civilization depends. Nothing too important about respect for law, right?
    The right of a billion dollar corporation to shut down a non profit making operation run by enthusiasts is pretty low down my list of moral priorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You will find most people don't give a shit about laws unless it really concerns them. I jaywalk all the time and never wear my seatbelt. I also can't remember the last time I didn't speed to work.

As long as you kept buying the latest and greatest wand it was okay. Nothing special, but not murder.

Warriors will always suck though. Got the Cyclone Axe on a level 31 warrior and they still couldn't compete with my mage alt that wore "of Frozen Wrath" gear in dps. I'm sure once they reach level 51 and get an Icy Barbed Spear they're okay at leveling, but 1-40 is the biggest drag there is in terms of class leveling.
    Yup warrior was also brutal, the quest for the weapon was also a pain in the ass because you had to either struggle for hours being to low, or over out level the area. Those elemental's and that stupid level 40 rock thing that had the kobold party following him... I still think priest was worse.

Absolutely this.

And before people come on here saying "Yeah, shouting in general/trade chat for hours on end to get groups was fun"
    That is so fucking over exaggerated. it took me MAYBE 10-15 minutes (Average queue as DPS in WoD is what, 30+?) to find a group. AT ALL LEVELS.
    Oh, nonsense. I was on an original 20 server in TBC, and your chances of finding a group depended on A. your class (Healers and tanks always found groups), B. Your gear (Raiders in partial raid gear always got snapped up by dungeon geared groups "Hey, we got a DPS with epics!"), C. what time of the day it was (prime time, 5-10 minutes. Midnight? Good luck. Mid morning? Hah.), D. what instance it was (Black morass? GTFO. Nobody ran that unless they had to. It took me weeks to get a run, let alone one that finished it, for the meta) and E. what point in the expansion it was. You had the first wave, when everyone was running them. Then it died off for a while, as everyone was in heroics on their main. Then the alt wave started, more runs, that died off.

This held true, until LFG came out. I remember the first night it came out, I ran my mage through 3 dungeons that night, and I was AMAZED at how easy it was. I hadn't run 3 dungeons in one day since vanilla, when my job in my raiding guild was to run new recruits through Blackrock to get them geared.

Talk about fucking over exaggerating!

Just some info on private realms after Nost shutdown and with the code not released to the public yet. Wont mention names as there is no need for it and isnt allowed anyway.

One server that i know of which wasn't very popular went 4 X on population just in the last week and seems to keep growing.
    One server that was popular (but not even close to nosts popularity) currently has a 30 min queue to login.
    The two biggest projects will be launching in the next weeks and they will draw the vast majority of Nosts player base (they haven't settled on a server yet) and maybe more.

So in the end all Blizzard did was advertise private servers and the new ones that will pop up aren't being hosted in countries Blizzard can reach as easily as Nost.

Imo if they are to launch vanilla servers they should do so soon. Maybe allowing access to vanilla realms with legion purchase wouldn't be such a bad idea. If they delay in the end they gonna launch their own vanilla realms but private servers will be "bulletproof" and people will have progressed their chars so much that they wont even bother coming back to retail.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2016-04-12 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I can understand why Blizzard feels they need to do this, but in the end it just makes Blizzard look bad and a very greedy company.

Bottom line, Nostraius wasn't there to make money. They weren't there to steal current WoW customers. Their playerbase was old retired WoW players looking for and recapturing some nostalgia when the game was better.

I would even go so far as to say that they were actually doing WoW a service that Blizzard would not provide. It brought back some of the heart and rekindled some of the fire that is in all mmo gamers. And especially considering where WoW is now, and it's on it's last legs, something like Nostralius does nothing to hurt the WoW brand, but actually helped it as it moves to whereever it goes next.
    If you want what WoW has to offer you should have to pay the money to Blizzard, not achieve it through backdoor services. Don't want to miss out? Don't unsub then. Don't get to have your cake & eat it too.

Vanilla is a LOT easier with 10 years of exp on your belt. I mean, if I ever pulled 2 mobs it was most likely going to result in death, lol. Plus, it was all on the 1.12.1 patch, with raid/content being released progressively.. So classes had it a tiny bit easier than say the "Beginning"
    Yeah it wasn't that bad when you know how to play, what gear to get and find, and you know that certain quests means you better find or wait for some help to come around. Also it helps if you can remember which quests to skip because they just aren't worth the amount of time spent running and crossing zones to finish.

Those little wolves in Elwynn destroyed me over and over.