Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I never played Nost. I am only anti-Nost because they stole something and someone was making money.

Three things would happen if Blizzard created a server:
    People wouldn't try it because it wasn't free.
    People would try it and then lose interest in three months.
    Some people would hang on for a year, however the server would be so dead you couldnt do anything.
    They weren't even making money off of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I believe it can also, at least under US law, affect whether the copyright infringement rises to the level of violation of criminal law (possibly even a felony).

Eh. It's not common, but yes, they can be charged criminally, but the rules for what constitutes criminal infringement are pretty vague. Purposeful intent is one of the hurdles to get over, and this sever has that in spades - but ultimately it's up to the district attorney to bring charges, or whatever the equivalent is in France. Most IP infringement is dealt with civilly. I only say that to stop any "They're going to JAIL" comments - it's highly unlikely. Usually criminal charges are brought up for distribution, not sure that this is distribution in any sense, really, unless they were offering the client for download off their servers, for sale. But even then, criminal charges are extremely rare for sharing movies and music.

Quote Originally Posted by xhisors View Post
    Maybe a super experienced player who has the run from 1-60 memorized and just goes crazy yes.

If I remember right, would have to look into it, the fastest 1-60 ever was just under 4 days. So saying it took just slightly longer for every other class for casual person... just no. 58-60 took like 2 weeks to do grinding mobs on its own.

But again, this was not on a private server where XP wasn't altered or scaled differently (if Nos was even scaled differently than what it was back then, i've heard it was easier to level on Nos than it was on live vanilla servers).
    It took me just under 6 days /played to level my paladin to 60 on Nost. Back in 2005 I went from 56-60 in 24 hours on my mage. Nost leveling speed was exactly like live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post

That doesn't matter, the infringement happened. It's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Priests were the most mana efficient levelers, even in the early beginnings of wow. All you had to do was shield, pain and wand. All the way to 60.
    Yeah if you pulled one mob at a time it worked fine. If you pulled more than one you would just flop over unless you burned through your mana.

Maybe it was just me, but I found priests the most painful class to level until about WotLK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    "Inspiration" is just a euphemism for ripping off.
    Mkay so everyone is ripping off J.R.R Tolkien hot daymn!
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

That was always exaggerated lol.
    Go away, troll. Shoo.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-12 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    It took me just under 6 days /played to level my paladin to 60 on Nost. Back in 2005 I went from 56-60 in 24 hours on my mage.
    Except I'm not talking private.

I've heard Nos made it easier to level in general and 56-60 significantly.

Yeah if you pulled one mob at a time it worked fine. If you pulled more than one you would just flop over unless you burned through your mana.

Maybe it was just me, but I found priests the most painful class to level until about WotLK
    I found the most painful to level were Warriors :x. The amount of suck... Also Druids from 10-20. ;-;

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    That doesn't matter, the infringement happened. It's illegal.
    Good job on figuring it out, the rest of the thread found out since Page1.

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Mkay so everyone is ripping off J.R.R Tolkien hot daymn!
    He borrowed heavily from Christian, Norse, Greek, Celtic and a multitude of other mythologies to build his universe. He talks about it in his letters to other people.

There are very few original ideas in any creative medium, almost everything is based on what came before.

10+ Year Old Account
    They weren't, but someone was. Most likely the server providers.

10+ Year Old Account
    He borrowed heavily from Christian, Norse, Greek, Celtic and a multitude of other mythologies to build his universe. He talks about it in his letters to other people.

There are very few original ideas in any creative medium, almost everything is based on what came before.
    Exactly. This whole rip off accusation is pointless.
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Good job on figuring it out, the rest of the thread found out since Page1.

Good job not noticing I've been one of the people stating it all the way through this thread.

Good job not noticing I've been one of the people stating it all the way through this thread.
    Don't even try to argue with brown nosing nosdrones. they will never change their minds. too much butthurt :P

10+ Year Old Account

I had not heard that at all, but then again I had only glanced at it as I don't play private realms.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid View Post
    How come you think it would drop off? Nostalrius only saw an increase in population throughout its time, so that leads me to think that if Blizzard had seized the opportunity and offered this service for a fee, they could have a sizable player base on these servers.
    Like I said there would be more than enough players to make it worth the time, but there would be a drop off. It's pretty simple logic really. You are going to have tons of people from live and various other areas that are going to come try it and either like it less than live, have the nostalgia burn off and leave, or discover it wasn't as great as we all hype it up to be.

I would figure at best you are looking at a long term stable size of no more than 500k and probably no where near that. Considering there have been over 100 million WoW accounts made over the years, that spells surge with a decline and then stabilizing. I am a legacy supporter but I am not crazy enough to believe that it has infinite growth potential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Punisher View Post
    Yeah. Now.

Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game. That is not a matter of debate. We know that. Why do you think it was orcs and humans?

After that they obviously added other ideas to it. They stole from all sorts of other sources, like norse mythology.
    You're grasping at straws at this point. I suggest you go watch "everything is a remix" so you can get past the WoW stole from X and Y.

Because Warhammer also was heavily inspired by some sources. I work in the art field, and I can tell you right now, the advice you hear over and over is to take 2 (or more) ideas and mash them into something new. Robots+trucks and you suddenly get transformers.

You and everyone else, as a minority in this thread - probably countable with one hand - says it's not a crime. That bit is not even debatable unless one wants an echo-chamber, as everyone knows it is, indeed, a crime and that it was an illegal private server.

You heard wrong. And the mage was on live, over a decade ago.