Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is prot in pvp? NOT Gladiator Stance

Hello,

I was wondering if Prot pvp is any good. It's very fun to play but i wanna if it does good damage and if it fares well againsts other classes 1v1. I still haven't spend my honor points and i was thinking of buying the shield and 1h weapon!

Thanks in advance

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you encounter a good healer or someone who manages to stay far out of range, not even popping everything at once + stuns + kicks will be enough to burst them down. If you want to make this work, you need to play together with one or two superbursty others. You peel away the heal and they pressure their DDs.

Mages and good hunters will kite you.
    Pala and DK tanks will out sustain you.
    There are no PvP items with Bonus Armor on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot Warrior is garbage. Just play Arms like everyone else.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prot Warrior is garbage. Just play Arms like everyone else.
    Look who´s unbanned again. Mind betting what comes first: You getting banned again or producing quoteworthy nonsense out of your vast pool of toxicity?
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    If you encounter a good healer or someone who manages to stay far out of range, not even popping everything at once + stuns + kicks will be enough to burst them down. If you want to make this work, you need to play together with one or two superbursty others. You peel away the heal and they pressure their DDs.

Mages and good hunters will kite you.
    Pala and DK tanks will out sustain you.
    There are no PvP items with Bonus Armor on them.
    There are actually 4, 5 if you count trinket: 2 rings, neck, and back. Just like normal PvE gearing.

But yeah, prot is more a novelty better suited for pub stomping. It doesnt have the damage to warrant taking outside of random RBGs and dueling.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

15+ Year Old Account
    Prot PvP w/ full gearing + BA, heavy vers (can easily get 17-20%) fills more a support/CC/peels role. As mentioned, they won't have the burst of arms fury or glad, but they can utilize consistent stuns and combat dispels via shield slam glyph. Just don't expect to burst/kill any healer or good hunter 1v1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    Prot PvP w/ full gearing + BA, heavy vers (can easily get 17-20%) fills more a support/CC/peels role. As mentioned, they won't have the burst of arms fury or glad, but they can utilize consistent stuns and combat dispels via shield slam glyph. Just don't expect to burst/kill any healer or good hunter 1v1.
    What stuns/CC does Prot have the Arms doesn't?

MS is better than dispell. Other classes can dispell and dispelling doesn't matter when you deal no pressure anyway.

Prot sucks, leave it in PvE.

What stuns/CC does Prot have the Arms doesn't?

MS is better than dispell. Other classes can dispell and dispelling doesn't matter when you deal no pressure anyway.

Prot sucks, leave it in PvE.
    Due to their much higher rage gain, they are capable of using stuns more often via anger management. They are also much more difficult to kill off which on some BG maps can be very useful. They have some fairly good pressure too. Their damage isnt all that much behind normal DPS, and their dispells help make up for it.

They have a place in BG's, but none at all in arenas.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Due to their much higher rage gain, they are capable of using stuns more often via anger management. They are also much more difficult to kill off which on some BG maps can be very useful. They have some fairly good pressure too. Their damage isnt all that much behind normal DPS, and their dispells help make up for it.

They have a place in BG's, but none at all in arenas.
    I'm sorry but one or two extra seconds off of Stormbolt doesn't make a difference. It doesn't, especially when Arms just deals more damage anyway.

Arms has better cleave, better single target damage, better burst damage and yeah even more utility. I mean does Prot have Shattering Throw? Nope.

Anything has a place in random bgs because random bgs is filled with unskilled players aimlessly pressing buttons. Of course Prot seems "tanky" against people that have no idea how to line of burst with their class or have no idea how to gear/build their character.

I can tell you that one Wizard like a Warlock or Mage can literally shred a Prot Warriors health bar in a matter of a few globals. Now imagine two Wizards on one Prot Warrior. That Prot Warrior is going to die as fast as any DPS Warrior (probably faster actually).

So what exactly is the point of playing Prot if its just an Arms Warrior that deals less pressure. Oh right, its there for bad players that think they need "extra defense" to play solo Warrior because they don't understand either how to use Defensive Stance or position themselves to avoid damage correctly.

Bad players don't understand that with Warrior your defense is as good as your offensive pressure. If you're dealing retarded damage as Arms, it forces other classes to run and reset fights or buy time to have any chance of beating you (which they do, but they have to play correctly). Prot Warrior doesn't deal the same pressure as Arms so people just sit on you longer which gives them more uptime on you. They can still reset the fight or buy time, its just that with Prot the whole process takes longer.

Bad players just don't get how Warrior works in PvP.

The question isn't which spec is the best. The question was how to play Protection in PVP. Just due to the fact that something isn't the best option doesn't mean that that option ain't a valid choice, everyone's free to play whatever they prefer to. Please refrain from flaming someone simply due to their choice of play.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

I had a blast playing Prot PVP earlier in the expansion, dispelling shields was hilarious. We ran Brewmaster Monk, Frost DK and Prot Warrior in 3s. Didn't push rating but for the games we played we had about 70% win ratio.. All in all great fun times stomping noobs. Gladiator isn't great anyway because it lacks a dispel, also doesn't have Mortal Strike and the damage gain isn't worth the survival trade off.

Just my 2C from low rated PVP, Prot PVP can be a lot of fun.. Take into account that Ryan is also low rated while talking like he's a Gladiator, unless you're playing for pure rating and PVP rewards then it doesn't really matter that Arms is the superior choice. It takes no time to switch specs, so really you have nothing to lose.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    The question isn't which spec is the best. The question was how to play Protection in PVP. Just due to the fact that something isn't the best option doesn't mean that that option ain't a valid choice, everyone's free to play whatever they prefer to. Please refrain from flaming someone simply due to their choice of play.
    The OP asked if its worth to play. I told him its not and reasons why.

Prot is inferior to Arms in every bracket of PvP. It's not even fun to play, you just aimlessly mash four different buttons that all feel like they're doing the exact same shitty damage.

Arms is much more fun to play in both rated and casual pvp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I had a blast playing Prot PVP earlier in the expansion, dispelling shields was hilarious. We ran Brewmaster Monk, Frost DK and Prot Warrior in 3s. Didn't push rating but for the games we played we had about 70% win ratio.. All in all great fun times stomping noobs. Gladiator isn't great anyway because it lacks a dispel, also doesn't have Mortal Strike and the damage gain isn't worth the survival trade off.

Just my 2C from low rated PVP, Prot PVP can be a lot of fun.. Take into account that Ryan is also low rated while talking like he's a Gladiator, unless you're playing for pure rating and PVP rewards then it doesn't really matter that Arms is the superior choice. It takes no time to switch specs, so really you have nothing to lose.
    Yeah that's what people like you are good at doing is "stomping noobs" because you never want to ever play against people on your own skill level.

I'm not talking about Gladiator, I'm talking about Prot. Prot has zero defense against Wizard damage other than Shield Barrier which fortunately for Prot and Fury Warriors, can use much more. Shield Barrier is the real reason why Prot survives more than Arms. Arms has to dump rage on all of its abilities where as Prot just dumps rage on shitty Heroic Strike only if it wants to.

That's the only thing that makes Prot "tanky". But once you get caught in a stun and WizardLordxx wants to fuck you in the ass, he will and all of your stupid defense that you have is made of paper.

The OP asked if its worth to play. I told him its not and reasons why.

Prot is inferior to Arms in every bracket of PvP. It's not even fun to play, you just aimlessly mash four different buttons that all feel like they're doing the exact same shitty damage.

Arms is much more fun to play in both rated and casual pvp.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's what people like you are good at doing is "stomping noobs" because you never want to ever play against people on your own skill level.

I'm not talking about Gladiator, I'm talking about Prot. Prot has zero defense against Wizard damage other than Shield Barrier which fortunately for Prot and Fury Warriors, can use much more. Shield Barrier is the real reason why Prot survives more than Arms. Arms has to dump rage on all of its abilities where as Prot just dumps rage on shitty Heroic Strike only if it wants to.

That's the only thing that makes Prot "tanky". But once you get caught in a stun and WizardLordxx wants to fuck you in the ass, he will and all of your stupid defense that you have is made of paper.
    Firstly, fun is subjective. Secondly how is stomping noobs as Prot and stomping noobs as Arms any different here? Either way you're stomping noobs. Just to remind you that you too are playing in the noob stomping rating levels. I'm a PVE player, I like PVP but I don't do it often and I don't take it seriously.

And that's fine, but if you're taking it seriously as the tone of your post would suggest then I'd like to ask you why you're only playing at noob stomping rating?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, fun is subjective. Secondly how is stomping noobs as Prot and stomping noobs as Arms any different here? Either way you're stomping noobs. Just to remind you that you too are playing in the noob stomping rating levels. I'm a PVE player, I like PVP but I don't do it often and I don't take it seriously.

And that's fine, but if you're taking it seriously as the tone of your post would suggest then I'd like to ask you why you're only playing at noob stomping rating?
    It appears you have never come across Ryan before. Just skim through his last ~20 posts to get an impression why your reasoning here is falling on dry soil.

10+ Year Old Account

Fun isn't subjective when you people have to chime in day after day on how fun and good Prot is while Arms is "boring". Yeah no, fuck that. The only reason why I get told to shut up is because I don't join the "hate Arms" train like you people. I'm not going to sit here and let random people tell other random people how good Prot is because its simply wrong. And the only reason that kind of misinformation gets support is because all of you this entire expansion have had this vendetta against Arms.

I don't stomp bad players nor do I seek it. I don't play this game seriously either (I'm not even actively playing it right now). And to make things clear, I find zero joy in beating people that have zero chance at beating me. That's the difference between me and most tryhards like you. You actually find it "fun" to beat someone that is way out of your league when to me it feels more like a mercy killing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    Ryan seems to be most passionate about his opinion : ) but I think he did answer the OP's question, which is "How is Prot in pvp?" not "How do I play Prot in PvP?".
    I do agree that Ryan's way of expressing his opinion was indeed a tad "flammy", but he was not necessarily wrong

Fun isn't subjective when you people have to chime in day after day on how fun and good Prot is while Arms is "boring". Yeah no, fuck that. The only reason why I get told to shut up is because I don't join the "hate Arms" train like you people. I'm not going to sit here and let random people tell other random people how good Prot is because its simply wrong. And the only reason that kind of misinformation gets support is because all of you this entire expansion have had this vendetta against Arms.

I don't stomp bad players nor do I seek it. I don't play this game seriously either (I'm not even actively playing it right now). And to make things clear, I find zero joy in beating people that have zero chance at beating me. That's the difference between me and most tryhards like you. You actually find it "fun" to beat someone that is way out of your league when to me it feels more like a mercy killing.
    I couldn't be further from a tryhard, I stomped noobs with my 3s triple tank PVE geared team to get conquest cap, while you stomp noobs in your fully PVP geared Warrior playing optimal spec and then post on forums like you're Brutal Gladiator! We both be stomping noobs, don't kid yourself here.

Deleted
    Fun isn't subjective when you people have to chime in day after day on how fun and good Prot is while Arms is "boring". Yeah no, fuck that. The only reason why I get told to shut up is because I don't join the "hate Arms" train like you people.
    Not quite, IMO, I think the reason why many people disagree with you is because of the way you say things. You're a bit too blunt and even impolite very often. After a while, it gets on one's nerves.

I don't particularly give a damn to be honest, but I can understand how others do. If you're more careful about the way you express your thoughts, I think you'd have more positive replies/feedback around here. Jus' my 2 cents ; )

I'm not playing WoD so cant tell about current patch. But I'm going to play prot in Legion for BGs and as a very experienced pvp player I wouldnt choose it if I saw it being shit. Prot wont have huge burst dmg (unless you combo Avatar + Booming Voice + Battle Cry + Neltharion Fury), but he shines in other areas. Particularly survivability, powerful AoE slows, AoE dmg and mobility.

I just hope they change Focused Rage to be not stackable crap, but rage > big dmg dump.
    Last edited by mindw0rk; 2016-04-13 at 01:14 AM.

Deleted
    You can 1v1 any class (some dks can be close/ you won't kill good healers alone) no burst though, but good sustained dmg and little damage taken.
    I've played it since launch in pvp and had a lot of fun with it!