Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You'd be a poor marketer if you suggested to a developer or other company representative (Wilson is both btw) to make declarative statements that are contra to community feedback.
    That depends on the feedback, no? I mean, if a developer wants to develop a game in a certain way, and while that way is perfectly functional, there's some feedback from the community suggesting that some people in the community don't like that certain way. Then, to be a "good marketer" you'd have to at least say that you're going to stop developing what you want to develop, and instead, develop what the people want you to develop.

Now, there's a couple problems with that. First of all, we all know a microfraction of the community can be extremely vocal about a certain thing, such as, to use a recent example, Tracer's butt. They're such an insignificantly small minority that they're a drop in the ocean. However, they yell loud enough, and then those loud yells are echoed in regular media, social media and on forums, and there you go; bad publicity. However, now that they - the developers - make that change, they're not actually listening to actual community feedback. They're just listening to two or three morons who thought that a thing should be changed and who yelled loud enough. So what kind of PR and marketing will that bring, then, when the vast majority of the community realizes that said change wasn't done because the community wanted it, but because the developers immediately bowed down to ridiculous demands? That's poor marketing if you ask me.

Secondly, do we honestly want developers always developing the game the community wants? Do we honestly think that groupthink and the will of the herd of sheeple that is the gaming community will create the best possible outcome? Isn't expecting developers to immediately do what the community wants them to do, instead of allowing them to express themselves, stifling their own artistic views? And what kind of marketing is that, then? I mean, giving the impression that they have no view, no vision and no conviction to carry out that vision, but instead, if someone thinks what they're doing is somehow wrong, they immediately change it? I'd say that, again, is poor marketing.

I would say that good marketing from the PR people and developers would be to, yes, be open to community feedback, but when that feedback is in direct conflict with the developers' own vision, and there's no reason why they'd have to change anything, then they should outright say that the community is wrong, and end the discussion there. Yeah, the kneejerk reaction to that would be "well you can't tell people they're wrong, they won't buy your product!", but I don't think it's quite that simple. Some thin skinned assholes might "boycott" the product, but people who can recognize true conviction and true faith and trust in the product by the developers, would actually see this as a plus.

All I'm saying is, I don't think it's that black and white. There's a fine line between being an independent company with independent developers who listen to feedback but aren't afraid to tell the people giving that feedback that they're wrong, and becoming complete and utter assholes like, for example, all the Gawker publications.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-04-12 at 02:55 PM.

A developer should always develop the game they want, not the game the loudmouth fat bellyscratching consumer wants. If the game fails, fine, since it was what the developer wanted to make. If it succeeds, great. Never, should tuning to a game solely (note, solely) be based on consumer rage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I understand completely but you put unrealistic expectations on a free indie game that is funded by what's essentially donations. If we would be talking about Blizzard and a game they charged you for the box/expansions and possibly a monthly fee then I'd be right with you having high expectations.

The fact remains that there is workarounds for your issues, you're just unwilling to use them and as such have to suffer the consequences.
    Me: "I don't accept 'we're indie' as an excuse for everything, and don't like having to use 3rd party tools for basic functionnality"
    You: "You say that because you don't accept 'we're indie' as an excuse for everything, and don't like having to use 3rd party tools for basic functionnality"

Great talk here, really
    Oh, hi.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cadiro spawn rate has been nerfed in Solaris 1 right? What good places are left to farm him?

Also, what good zones to find vaal zones? Tidal island still the best?
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Unless you've decided that there's more to be gained from disagreeing with that angle of feedback and/or giving off that "honest/open/making OUR game" image.
    You'd still be a poor marketer if you'd let a company rep make too many statements; opening up easy litigation and/or charge backs. You'd lose your job too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Me: "I don't accept 'we're indie' as an excuse for everything, and don't like having to use 3rd party tools for basic functionnality"
    You: "You say that because you don't accept 'we're indie' as an excuse for everything, and don't like having to use 3rd party tools for basic functionnality"

Great talk here, really
    It's not basic functionality though. Like I said, play the game without using xyz and you have basic functionality as it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Yeah the podcast was really good, and Chris showed that they really put way more effort and thought into these issues than we even do. He made a point to say that very few people (relatively) ever actually bother with trading at all, and that trading improvements tend to only help those people. I also liked their reasoning for why they don't give people a free premium stash tab, I still have yet to regret giving GGG my money.
    Well his point that people would make mule accounts..like isnt already happening, i know a guy from eve that he have different characters to sell stuff so he just buy stash for the "main" and use mule accounts to sell, anyway it would be cool to have them unlocked after reaching certain achievement like get to lvl 75.

I have played a lot of mmos games and poe have one of the worst chat system. the whole < - > pm system can be tricky to follow if you are getting multiple pms at the same time, pm that are lost in limbo if people pm you while you are in a loading screen, not to mention that is common for people to play with the sound disabled to get extra performance, im not asking much, just make the pm system bit more 2016, replace the arrow with the word from / to, make the poe windows blink if you get a pm if you are alt tabbed like in wow and many other programs.

Cadiro spawn rate has been nerfed in Solaris 1 right? What good places are left to farm him?

Also, what good zones to find vaal zones? Tidal island still the best?

Avoid zones like tidal island and the ledge to farm vaal zones and cadiro, these zones are nerfed by default, for vaal zones i used to farm them in the archives and cadiro i used solaris 1 but i havent farmed since last week.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clerigon View Post
    Avoid zones like tidal island and the ledge to farm vaal zones and cadiro, these zones are nerfed by default, for vaal zones i used to farm them in the archives and cadiro i used solaris 1 but i havent farmed since last week.
    I tried tidal yesterday for vaal and it seemed quite great. Even if the spawn rate is lower, the zone is so small it doesn't take a minute to go all around it.

Tried the Aqueduct too yesterday, had a few great things from Cadiro and quite a lot of vaal zones, also has nice card drops: got a Tabula Rasa from it, and a blue 104 life ilvl 80 armor (+2 other with low life), the drop rates for both of these cards seems really high. Takes a bit too long to go through though. Haven't tried the archives yet, I'll give it a try tonight.
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then why did he make the statements if it's suuuuuch a bad idea?
    Likely because he didn't have a PR rep or CM there.

I tried tidal yesterday for vaal and it seemed quite great. Even if the spawn rate is lower, the zone is so small it doesn't take a minute to go all around it.

Tried the Aqueduct too yesterday, had a few great things from Cadiro and quite a lot of vaal zones, also has nice card drops: got a Tabula Rasa from it, and a blue 104 life ilvl 80 armor (+2 other with low life), the drop rates for both of these cards seems really high. Takes a bit too long to go through though. Haven't tried the archives yet, I'll give it a try tonight.
    Whats the level of tidal island? iirc midnight fragments only drop in act 2 > and i dont remember any good zone to farm in act 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clerigon View Post
    Whats the level of tidal island? iirc midnight fragments only drop in act 2 > and i dont remember any good zone to farm in act 2.
    Too low for midnight (57), might not be worth it yeah, got my first midnight drop yesterday in aqueduct actually.
    Oh, hi.

Too low for midnight (57), might not be worth it yeah, got my first midnight drop yesterday in aqueduct actually.
    doesn't really matter as you can very quickly run the area to find vall areas and stock up on the other fragments then run those to get your midnights

Deleted
    How many perandus chests is it possible to find in a zone? Just got 7 in a map and before I've never seen more than 4.
    Last edited by mmoce213c955fb; 2016-04-13 at 04:52 PM.

I'm not sure this is true, as it's just anticdotal...

When I needed a fragment I just kept tossing fragments that I had too many of into the map device and running the corrupted zone it spawned.

Every time I did that I got another fragment.

I'm not sure if those zones also have a chance of dropping a vaal gem. If they do, then there is a possibility that you screw yourself out of a fragment. They never did for me, it was always another fragment. I just kept throwing the new fragment into the device and running it again and again and again until I got the fragment I wanted.

tl/dr: There's a chance you screw yourself, but you can possibly "trade" fragments by putting one you don't need into the map machine and running the corrupted zone.

Edit: Lagwin kind of said that already. I need to L2R.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    I'm not sure this is true, as it's just anticdotal...

When I needed a fragment I just kept tossing fragments that I had too many of into the map device and running the corrupted zone it spawned.

Every time I did that I got another fragment.

I'm not sure if those zones also have a chance of dropping a vaal gem. If they do, then there is a possibility that you screw yourself out of a fragment. They never did for me, it was always another fragment. I just kept throwing the new fragment into the device and running it again and again and again until I got the fragment I wanted.

tl/dr: There's a chance you screw yourself, but you can possibly "trade" fragments by putting one you don't need into the map machine and running the corrupted zone.

Edit: Lagwin kind of said that already. I need to L2R.
    lol.
    It's rare to get a vaal gem now, the chances for them were significantly reduced when the temp league that added them came to an end.....i'd say on average about 1 in 10 runs would get a gem, though it can take longer

Deleted
    Best fucking rollback ever.

at this point we are going to need this http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ in the login screen.

PoE protip of the day:
    The second you get something valuable (1 ex+ imo) immediately tp to town. Going back to town forces the server to sync with your inventory so you can't be rolled back. The only way you get rolled back and lose items is if you stay in the instance. Every time I find a clean exalt or tier 1 unique you bet your ass I instantly go back to hideout/town. I have yet to suffer a rollback myself, these server crashes are actually pretty rare, but it's better safe than sorry.

Deleted
    Yeah, if I had more than 2 seconds from picking it up T_T

poe is being a dick to me over patches.

disk write errors even on an ssd, ffs
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"