View Poll Results: Do you use DBM, bigwigs or nothing?

Voters
180. This poll is closed
  • Bigwigs

107 59.44%
  • DBM

67 37.22%
  • neither

6 3.33%

Thread: bigwigs vs dbm

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

bigwigs vs dbm

I haven't used bigwigs since BC and have been using DBM since. Recently I have seen a lot of people on forums and in /trade pushing for bigwigs over DBM. I have heard a few reasons why people like one or the other, but thought I would ask MMO-Champs. Do you use bigwigs or DBM and why?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Both are good and authors of both addons put in a awesome level of work. I just prefer BigWigs because it's basically boss timers with weakauras build in. Each timer can be customised to your liking.

Deleted
    I started using big wigs because you could not turn of dbm's animated transition from the small bar to the big bar back then. It was "flying" over my dots
    This was years ago though.

I tried going back while SoO because dbm had this little info screen that was useful for Sha of Pride, Nazgrim and some other bosses.

My problem was that dbm told me to much for my taste. Had the feeling that it was constantly announcing something via sound.
    I know that is something that could be addressed in the options but bigwigs pretty much works out of the box for me.

I think it has more to do with what you are used to.

ps: Sometimes i got the feelings that my timers are better than the ones of others. But who knows how regular other people update their addons and stuff
    Last edited by mmoc2e5b8dbff7; 2016-04-13 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    dumb question alert: what ever happened to VEM?

I use both of them and they have different advantages and weaknesses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Vem used dbm's code to publish their own addon. I think dbm changed something so vem could not be continued as a fork.
    But there is a dbm plugin for it now afaik.
    Last edited by mmoc2e5b8dbff7; 2016-04-13 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I haven't used bigwigs since BC and have been using DBM since. Recently I have seen a lot of people on forums and in /trade pushing for bigwigs over DBM. I have heard a few reasons why people like one or the other, but thought I would ask MMO-Champs. Do you use bigwigs or DBM and why?
    Prefer bigwigs because its less intrusive. DBM has lots of noises, screen blinking and now in wod there are arrows and stuff covering up the screen for some encounters. With bigwigs there is timers, some countdowns and the occasional pling - thats all i want
    Last edited by vvaniish; 2016-04-13 at 07:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    Vem used dbm's code to publish their own addon. I think dbm changed something so vem could not be continued as a fork.
    But there is a dbm plugin for it now afaik.
    Thank you

Deleted
    We use a mix of both, some players use DBM, some use BW here. I have seen both addons fail, one of them for instance failing to show the abilities of Manno at the start of the third phase correctly or the other erroneously reporting chains are incoming in Xhul (those things happened very recently on the latest stable versions, it's not just a 0-day thing).

I get a rough impression that DBM is better for impressive and very elaborate features like HUDs and complex assignments of marks, but BW is more about 0-day fixes which might be more relevant for the top 10 to top 100 guilds but less relevant to those that will go to the bosses weeks later, where both addons will be similar at that.

It's telling that the DBM author does not force DBM in his raid. Both can be used. It's an advantage to have both in some cases since one of them may fail at something, but having the same has also an advantage in some rare cases where weakauras get into play or some special marks assignments.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2016-04-13 at 09:10 AM.

I am currently using BigWigs as I am using LittleWigs for dungeons.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

In WoD I used BW timers for their customizability and DBM's HUDMap. In Legion I'll probably move on to WA timers and have to do my research on which one gives the more accurate timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    dunno. but it needs to come back. I think one of the big two ate it.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Download the VEM/Voice plugin for DBM off curse. Make you you enable voice in the DBM options.

DBM, tried bigwigs for all the commotion people make about it and it had inaccuracies just like DBM - but I prefer DBM by familiarity and prefer to support DBM's author who makes every attempt to work cooperatively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    I am currently using BigWigs as I am using LittleWigs for dungeons.
    What is that?

15+ Year Old Account
    I always have both installed for some bigger patch days in case one is working better at certain point. But at the end of the day I always end up using BWG.

After having issues with DBM a long time ago, I switched to BigWigs and never looked back. I've never had any issues with it since then. I've noticed sometimes in raids pull timers made by people who are using DBM sometimes won't work for other people using DBM because their version is out of date. But it always works for people using BigWigs.

Neither; My guild doesn't use DBM or BigWigs. We've been using DXE (Deus Vox Encounters).

Some of us get some strange latency problems with DBM's Sync options, and others get some FPS drops.
    BigWigs has a few options that can't be disabled that (Last I saw) that are really annoying.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    What is that?
    Littlewigs is effectively a dungeon version of the bigwigs boss mod.
    Taking the raid timers functionality and applying them to dungeon encounters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Neither; My guild doesn't use DBM or BigWigs. We've been using DXE (Deus Vox Encounters).

Some of us get some strange latency problems with DBM's Sync options, and others get some FPS drops.
    BigWigs has a few options that can't be disabled that (Last I saw) that are really annoying.
    It's probably best if we had a concentration on devs on one or two addons. None is perfect but all have inaccuracies. It's not even minor since I've seen major inaccuracies in all big addons months after a boss' release on live.

The ideal is probably having developers doing aesthetics for this kind of thing (HUDs, Bars, Warnings, Audio, etc.) to be completely separate from the devs that do logic of bosses.

That way we would have near perfection on logic, and if someone wanted different aesthetics they'd pick and choose. Right now we have the aesthetics guys doing logic too.