Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Yeah you get the oils from the weekly CT quest regardless if you are or aren't on the relic quest.
    So I should probably get on that if I wish to save myself some time...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Nono, you never activate the F! The F is evil!

D, E and J are fine though.
    Ι cannot stress enough the importance of this.
    Never ever ever under any circumstances activate the F.

I managed to get MCH to 60 just a short while ago. I'm aiming for the 'Grandmaster of War' title. I need to get WAR, MNK and DRK to 60 now and then I'll get it. DRK is at 54 so that shouldn't be too difficult.

As a Canadian, they're right.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Ι cannot stress enough the importance of this.
    Never ever ever under any circumstances activate the F.
    As a monster hunter player i learnt to fear the 'je suis un monte xD!' pop up but the XIV reddit has some fascinating discussions about why French players commonly come across as the eu equivalent of the "BR? BR? GIBE MONE PLS" stereotype.

Badly paraphrasing the french players who were tired of others from their own region propagating the stereotype said it was to do with the language choices and how english in some areas of france is apparently barely taught and speaking english fluently is to 'give up on being true frenchmen' or something compared to england, america, germany and japan where phrases like 'thank you' are commonly understood even if they arent part of your native lexicon.

The infamous 'F' contingent in online games nowadays seems to just have a chunk that despise speaking english, english speakers and seek to create french only microcosms inside games and none F labled players are numbers padding for group finder you shit talk in french the whole time and good for nothing else -while the other less vocal chunk cringes going "please stop making everyone think us french players are all racist shitters, you are ruining it for everyone!"

Its an interesting albiet kind of depressing thing to see, but its always fascinating to see how online games can have -for better or worse- these stratas of layer cake style subcultures in videogames.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Do you have all languages enabled, and are you trying to find a group in progress?
    Everything but 'F', naturally.

10+ Year Old Account
    *chuckles*
    I actually meant that as a joke, though I am surprised that you too had such negative experiences with french players.

Imho, the worst thing is that thy often don't speak English. So you can't even explain simple strats to them. >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is what time of day are you trying to queue up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is what time of day are you trying to queue up?
    I wouldnt be surprised if it was because it was dark souls 3 release day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    As a monster hunter player i learnt to fear the 'je suis un monte xD!' pop up but the XIV reddit has some fascinating discussions about why French players commonly come across as the eu equivalent of the "BR? BR? GIBE MONE PLS" stereotype.

Badly paraphrasing the french players who were tired of others from their own region propagating the stereotype said it was to do with the language choices and how english in some areas of france is apparently barely taught and speaking english fluently is to 'give up on being true frenchmen' or something compared to england, america, germany and japan where phrases like 'thank you' are commonly understood even if they arent part of your native lexicon.

The infamous 'F' contingent in online games nowadays seems to just have a chunk that despise speaking english, english speakers and seek to create french only microcosms inside games and none F labled players are numbers padding for group finder you shit talk in french the whole time and good for nothing else -while the other less vocal chunk cringes going "please stop making everyone think us french players are all racist shitters, you are ruining it for everyone!"

Its an interesting albiet kind of depressing thing to see, but its always fascinating to see how online games can have -for better or worse- these stratas of layer cake style subcultures in videogames.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a French player in my static who is an extraordinary player. Has an accent but speaks fluent English and performs very well in a raid environment.
    Most of my experiences with French people have been bad not only because they refuse to communicate in English but because they are just flat out bad. I don't know why but they just are.
    They are in the same category for me as anyone who sports Dragneel/Heartfilia for their character names. They are stereotypicaly very very bad and toxic players.
    I don't know if France has the same issue in FFXIV that us Greeks have as a community in League of Legends and it's giving us a very bad name.
    Generally Greeks in LoL are considered cancer. And for the most part we are. Why is this though you may ask?
    It's because League of Legends has become so popular and mainstream in Greece that it has attracted a very very young and cancerous audience. Over 50% of the Greek LoL players are the stereotypical raging 12 yr old (or even younger) who screams at CoD. The young adults/adults that ddo play League of Legends in Greece are generally very good players. But those are sitting high up in the ladder rarely ever to be seen by most people and thus the name was given.
    I have no idea if French people are facing the same thing with FFXIV.
    On games like hearthstone that has attracted a much older and mature demographic Greece even has a pretty strong competitive scene with players like Hawkeye and Dethelor for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had french Tanks that were really badass and absolutely comfortable to heal despite doing big pulls.
    Also had french DPS that blew my socks off.

So good french players do exist. But the question is: are they so rare or is it just our brain and memory doing funky tricks, making us forget all the hilariously bad D/E players we encountered and the Fs somehow stand out?

I'll admit, despite being from the UK one of the main reasons I avoid the European servers is the fact that a decent chunk of players don't speak English.

nice! i'm like 40/80 on my 2nd anima

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    <StartShitStorm>

Is the Holy Trinity really necessary? People keep tell me that it's a zergfest with no mechanics without HT.

This just popped up on my YT homepage,

There looks like there are mechanics to me - simple ones but hey it's a new game; can't throw players in the deep end of the pool at the start.

Mechanics-wise, if you played WoW or FFXIV, it's nothing new. We already do that and those said mechanics are what make bosses hard.

So what does the Holy Trinity have to do with things? You can make challenging content without it.

</StartShitStorm>

PS: I know this forum is quite conservative. Let's just talk about this and don't assume anyone is advocating anything. Please.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

So I just finished the Praetorium last night and it was cool, I've really enjoyed the story so far. My question is with the story quest continue to show the stuff from the patches up to Heavensward or do I have to go look for that on my own. I've really enjoyed the lore and stories so far so I wanted to know what the story quest will show me and what I have to find on my own. ex: Crystal Tower, Coils of Bahumat, Shiva, etc

Side thing, I had watched all the cut scenes in advance because I did not want to slow the group down. Well we had a healer who ended up watching every scene and it was funny because no one bitched we all just waited for them to watch it. I've found that the community over all so far has been really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Is the Holy Trinity really necessary? People keep tell me that it's a zergfest with no mechanics without HT.
    You have 2 choices:
    Either do it like GW2, where every class can sorta tank and sorta heal and everyone has to perform a bit of all three roles.
    Or do it with the trinity where you have specialized classes.

IMHO, the trinity gives the developer the most freedom to design PvE encounters.

EG: a boss in GW2 must never hit hard enough to kill a clothie Elementalist in one hit because there is no defined tanking role capable of permanently holding aggro and keeping the clothies safe.
    That also rules out mechanics that necessitate a controlled tank swap or dangerous adds that need to be brought under control by a tank ASAP.

Also, non avoidable damage must never exceed the rather limited healing capabilities of the classes in any setup.
    Avoidable damage can be as punishing as you like, because players are supposed to be avoiding it.

Deleted
    You have 2 choices:
    Either do it like GW2, where every class can sorta tank and sorta heal and everyone has to perform a bit of all three roles.
    Or do it with the trinity where you have specialized classes.

IMHO, the trinity gives the developer the most freedom to design PvE encounters.

EG: a boss in GW2 must never hit hard enough to kill a clothie Elementalist in one hit because there is no defined tanking role capable of permanently holding aggro and keeping the clothies safe.
    That also rules out mechanics that necessitate a controlled tank swap or dangerous adds that need to be brought under control by a tank ASAP.

Also, non avoidable damage must never exceed the rather limited healing capabilities of the classes in any setup.
    Avoidable damage can be as punishing as you like, because players are supposed to be avoiding it.
    Actually, there is a soft-tank mechanic in gw2. In which the player with the highest toughness stat gets the aggro. This isn't really important in the regular game but it is rather important in raids.

Also, even though the game still doesn't have a hard trinity, healing is pretty important in the game nowadays. The new areas are pretty punishing if you go at it solo. The fun thing is that everyone can chime in and support each other rather than having one or two dedicated healers.

/goes back to lurking

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not going to bother with BD's post as once again he opens with an accusatory tone. Pile crap on me that I have never said nor implied except in his imagination.

EG: a boss in GW2 must never hit hard enough to kill a clothie Elementalist in one hit
    Hitting hard enough to one shot specific classes is a mechanic?

How much interesting gameplay does that add? Everyone that isn't a tank just sits behind the boss.

Let's not ignore the downside. You must have a tank, the least played role in the HT.

I figured players who have taken too much non-avoidable damage will just run to a safe spot to heal up. The gameplay is in when to retreat.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    -snip-
    I've been playing Skyforge lately and while it does kinda have a trinity, it's a little lax. There are tanks, DPSers and "Support", no real healers. Even the tanks are basically just melee DPS with a few shields, but from what I can tell it's better to spec towards DPS and just take out the high damage targets first. Healing is really weird as it's done mostly through DPS. When mobs take enough damage they throw out orbs, running over that orb heals you. Not entirely sure what support classes actually do yet as I have not been playing very long at all, but it appears to be mostly buffs/debuffs and of course, damage.

A lot of the group content can be soloed as well. It is broken down into Squads and Group Adventures. Squads are for 1-3 players and scale, playing them solo so far and some of them have presented a pretty good challenge. I play a Paladin which is a tank, but you still really need to dodge most of the attacks. Tanks can not stand in bad and do ok. I've been hit for well over half my health by some abilities, and if my resources are down I do not have a way to hit the mob hard enough to make it drop an orb for a little while.

I really like this system, while it does include the trinity to a degree, they are some healthy changes that make it feel different. Will probably not play the game too seriously though and once I hit max "level"(there are not really levels, but that's not what this discussion is about) and get to end-game will probably move along as I have with multiple other MMOs lately.

Again though, I do have to kinda agree with BD in that I would not like to see this, or any systems like it, in FFXIV and this -is- a FFXIV forum, so it is kinda out of place to talk about it here. I really like FFXIV the way it is, I just wish I had the time to commit to it.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also about tank swaps ... isn't that like the only worthwhile mechanic for tanks? Every fight seem to involve a tank swap. It's so overused that it's kind of silly at this point. Because other than that ... there really isn't much for a tank to do apart from popping CDs on a timer.

Adds ... somewhere along the line it when from the responsibility of DPS to keep them under control with CC (or kill ASAP) to the tank's job ... the way I see it, it's just developers looking for something for tanks to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lurkingPeanut View Post
    Actually, there is a soft-tank mechanic in gw2. In which the player with the highest toughness stat gets the aggro. This isn't really important in the regular game but it is rather important in raids.
    Could be fun if designed right no? Everyone can be a tank for a short period of time. See someone low on HP in trouble, enter tank mode and taunt then disengage with an aggro-wipe skill when the fella has gotten his bearings.