Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My experience with anti-anxiety medication went a bit like this:

I find myself having a hard time getting to sleep at night with a bit of tightness in my chest.
    I go to the doctor, who tells me that I'm depressed and anxious. I tell him, "I don't feel depressed or anxious." He says, "Well sometimes you don't feel the anxiety, but your body does. I'm going to prescribe you some Escitalopram (Lexapro, SSRI) and some Alprazolam (Xanax, Benzodiazepine). Take the Escitalopram every day and the Alprazolam when you're feeling especially anxious."
    I proceed to do as directed, though I wasn't feeling anxious or depressed. Didn't really feel any change in anything. I could have been taking a sugar pill. So when the prescription runs out a few months later, I stop taking the Escitalopram entirely. Within a day, I start feeling very strange. Every couple seconds, it feels like an electric shock is zapping my brain. I can't concentrate at all, feel bizarre.
    So I go back to my doctor, who tells me that maybe it's a brain tumor and that we need to get an MRI. I say, "Well I just stopped taking the Escitalopram. Seems like this is probably just withdrawal symptoms, right?"
    Doc says, "Oh no, Escitalopram doesn't have any withdrawal effects. It can't be that, so we'd better get you this $5,000 medical scan."
    I said, "Thanks, I think I'm going to get a second opinion." I go online, and see that the withdrawal symptoms of Escitalopram are EXACTLY what I'm going through. Never went back to that quack of a doctor. Never want to take an SSRI again.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    My experience with anti-anxiety medication went a bit like this:

I find myself having a hard time getting to sleep at night with a bit of tightness in my chest.
    I go to the doctor, who tells me that I'm depressed and anxious. I tell him, "I don't feel depressed or anxious." He says, "Well sometimes you don't feel the anxiety, but your body does. I'm going to prescribe you some Escitalopram (Lexapro, SSRI) and some Alprazolam (Xanax, Benzodiazepine). Take the Escitalopram every day and the Alprazolam when you're feeling especially anxious."
    I proceed to do as directed, though I wasn't feeling anxious or depressed. Didn't really feel any change in anything. I could have been taking a sugar pill. So when the prescription runs out a few months later, I stop taking the Escitalopram entirely. Within a day, I start feeling very strange. Every couple seconds, it feels like an electric shock is zapping my brain. I can't concentrate at all, feel bizarre.
    So I go back to my doctor, who tells me that maybe it's a brain tumor and that we need to get an MRI. I say, "Well I just stopped taking the Escitalopram. Seems like this is probably just withdrawal symptoms, right?"
    Doc says, "Oh no, Escitalopram doesn't have any withdrawal effects. It can't be that, so we'd better get you this $5,000 medical scan."
    I said, "Thanks, I think I'm going to get a second opinion." I go online, and see that the withdrawal symptoms of Escitalopram are EXACTLY what I'm going through. Never went back to that quack of a doctor. Never want to take an SSRI again.
    SSRI's are fucking wak.

I have a friend who actually has depression that is pretty serious and they wouldn't let him try a non SSRI treatment until he had tried and failed on like 4 different ones.

After that they started him on a MRI treatment that was actually really helping, but by then his insurance ran out and he would have to pay 5k that he didn't have to continue it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    SSRI's are fucking wak.

I have a friend who actually has depression that is pretty serious and they wouldn't let him try a non SSRI treatment until he had tried and failed on like 4 different ones.

After that they started him on a MRI treatment that was actually really helping, but by then his insurance ran out and he would have to pay 5k that he didn't have to continue it.
    Ive tried several ssri's and agree with you 100% it's a huge hit and miss game.

And despite them being a newer class of drugs people generally see a better result in the old class of antidepressants which have worse physical side effects.

A friend tried sertraline at 75mg and started seeing her dead nan and talking to her, while I was on 300mg and felt nothing.

Changing to Prozac now with a few others but fuck me is it hit and miss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

And despite them being a newer class of drugs people generally see a better result in the old class of antidepressants which have worse physical side effects.

A friend tried sertraline at 75mg and started seeing her dead nan and talking to her, while I was on 300mg and felt nothing.

Who knew human brains were so varied and complex, amirite?

Deleted
    Who knew human brains were so varied and complex, amirite?
    me no understand

But in just surprised at how the older more toxic drugs tend to be more effective v the newer classes

10+ Year Old Account
    me no understand
    Just saying it shouldn't be all that surprising that without how different every human brain is from every other that these brain chemistry altering drugs affect each person quite differently.

It's also always seemed strange to me that the government is totally OK with (prescribed) mind altering drugs like SSRIs, Lithium, etc. some of which seem linked to increased suicide rates, but drugs like LSD will get you thrown in prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Came here to find out what Anexity was... yes I am slightly dissappointed it was a typo.

Just saying it shouldn't be all that surprising that without how different every human brain is from every other that these brain chemistry altering drugs affect each person quite differently.

It's also always seemed strange to me that the government is totally OK with (prescribed) mind altering drugs like SSRIs, Lithium, etc. some of which seem linked to increased suicide rates, but drugs like LSD will get you thrown in prison.
    Because fun should be illegal.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    Made up shit? Have you never had anxiety? No imagine that on a scale multiplied by a factor of a 1000.
    give me a break, what is it cause your dad raped you? deal with it. Stop trying to sound like you have a mental illness of some short, unless you have ptsd or some shit, dont act like you are diseased by some uncontrollable force that give you anxiety.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    What is it with Americans and taking medication for made up shit?
    What is it with ignorant foreigners being dumb?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    For someone with "pharmaceutical know-how" it's sort of embarrassing how deep into the woo you are. If you have a chemical imbalance in your brain (which is the part that does the thinking) you need help evening that out before you can change your behavior or thought patterns. The end goal is absolutely to establish healthier behavior. Doing that is next to impossible for someone who is physically, chemically incapable of thinking straight, which describes literally everyone with correctly diagnosed Major Anxiety and Major Depressive disorder.
    OT: Get the meds you need to help you make the changes you need. Do it under supervision of a doctor and probably a therapist. Get better.
    Yeah so stop eating twinkies and acting like a victim. Stop all those behaviors that mess up your brain, most of them you aren't aware of, so educate yourself, they put poisons in the air and all over the place that are endocrines disruptor.

I have pretty severe social anxiety at times. It seems hit or miss. Some times I'm totally fine, and other times I'm really uncomfortable.
    This happens especially in this example:

I'm with 2 other people.
    a third person (or even worse, more and more) comes over that doesn't know me, but knows either 1 or 2 of the people I was with.
    They don't properly introduce me, or they do and the person who came over doesn't care to meet me properly.

Then the dice rolls. I struggle to feel useful in the conversation, and worse, I struggle to be near them while I'm just standing there saying nothing or not being involved whatsoever.

The worse case I've ever had of this was at a graduation party of a friend of the family. The kid who's party it was invited me and my Mother, and those 2 others were the only people I knew there out of a few hundred. Typically, it wasn't a big deal because the little interaction I had with them was normal, but one case some one I knew from my childhood came over and started talking to my mother. I had a real bad time with this, and I really can't explain why. I remember calling like everyone in my contact list trying to find some one to talk to so I could quit this feeling, but no one picked up. It was a really uncomfortable feeling for me and made me realize one massive gap along these lines:

The situation where people say "hey man come with me to this place," and its not a place I'm familiar with, it always triggers this feeling. I know a lot of people who go out with complete strangers and still have fun, but whenever I do its such a roll of the dice.
    If conversations or connections don't happen a certain way it gets really intensely uncomfortable.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Doesn't help everyone though
    That's because all those shits that mess with your brain are in more then food, its the air, the pesticides, the gmo, the heavy metal, the chemtrail, yep, it goes on and on, its called killing the population and cashing on it, double loss on the population and double win on the government side.

Meanwhile people blindly trust their government, that same government that not so long ago had slaves and killing its people and starved them, now we give them minimum wave jobs and the illusion of choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather listen to a professional thanks
    Your issue right there.

[Infracted - Conspiracy theories aren't allowed]
    Last edited by Annoying; 2016-04-13 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    Really? All my panic attacks have been extreme to the point where I've passed out. I mean, sure; I won't show any signs of distress initially, but it's hard to disguise hitting the ground.
    It takes practice, but if you can identify your triggers, you can incorporate it into how you hide it. For example: If I'm out with a group of people and my anxiety kicks in, I can excuse myself and go to the restroom, go outside and smoke or move myself to the outset of the group so I don't feel pinned in. Anything to change the situation and get my mind off the panic. If I'm home or at work and it kicks in, I try to start a project to distract myself like cleaning, making something, or rearranging things. Really anytime I can get out of the situation and distract myself will help stop a panic attack. I know what my most of my triggers are and I avoid them, things like large group situations, being stuck in traffic, even just being at home doing nothing can trigger it so I try to stay busy.

Also, get to a gym. Exercise works wonders. You dont have to go full on beastmode crossfit, but get on a treadmill or a bike, maybe swim a few laps. Light exercise like this has taken me from near daily attacks to maybe a couple a month.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    That's because all those shits that mess with your brain are in more then food, its the air, the pesticides, the gmo, the heavy metal, the chemtrail, yep, it goes on and on, its called killing the population and cashing on it, double loss on the population and double win on the government side.

Meanwhile people blindly trust their government, that same government that not so long ago had slaves and killing its people and starved them, now we give them minimum wave jobs and the illusion of choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Your issue right there.
    Chemtrails lol. Conspiracy theories not allowed.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Tried medication. Makes you apathic and uninterested, nothing i would recommend doing! For me it was about getting back to the roots of said anxiety, studentlife, not playing football anymore etc. Now i'm fixing all that and it's much better already. Pills can work to some degree, but for many it's just a way to hide behind the actual problems.

I have an anxiety disorder (linked to my ADS/Aspergers) and I function very well on the meds (SSRI) I get. My meds don't make me lose interest in things, don't give me any side effects and are a part of my life now. My doctor (and I) felt benzo-meds would be a step too far, so the meds I have for if an anxiety attack flares up are basically antihistamines. Never had the opportunity to try them, since my attacks are triggered by very narrow and hard to recreate scenarios.

The meds I eat long-term have stopped my depression and gotten rid of that constant feeling I used to have of dread and unrest. Feels pretty damned great! Just wish I'd gotten my ASD diagnosis as a child instead of as an adult, would have saved me many years of unnecessary suffering.

My mom has ADHD (also diagnosed late in life, at the age of 45) and when they were experimenting with meds on her, they gave her some med (not SSRI) that basically turned her into a zombie...like, holy shit, why is medicine like that even allowed? Sure it "cured" her symptoms, but it also "cured" her personality and spirit...can't remember the name of the meds, but talk about scary. Now she's on SSRI and some med which helps her calm down before she sleeps, and she's bloomed as a person and mother thanks to them!
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-13 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    I used to suffer from really bad anxiety attacks, to the point of nearly vomiting. I started going to the gym, but the ride to the gym would be terrible for me. But it eventually helped me to reduce the severity of my attacks. Eventually I stopped going to the gym because I no longer needed it's help. And now i keep my mild attacks in check with marijuana. You'll definitely have to try a few before you find one that helps with your anxiety. I never went on any benzo's, i've heard of how much hell it is transitioning onto them, onto different ones and (if ever you need to) off them. And I hear people talk of feeling like you're in a zombie like state, or "not themselves." No thank you! Marijuana even helps me with the nausea, so even if I do have a little attack, I won't vurp during it.
    You no longer need its help because now you got pot? sound to me like you still need it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen four professionals over 10 years and despite our best efforts nothing has changed
    Because all they will ever do is try a pill or another and will never try to fix the cause, because they are not educated about what that root cause may be except for ptsd, that's all their reptilian brain can think of.

- - - Updated - - -

that sounds quite awesome lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I have an anxiety disorder (linked to my ADS/Aspergers) and I function very well on the meds (SSRI) I get. My meds don't make me lose interest in things, don't give me any side effects and are a part of my life now. My doctor (and I) felt benzo-meds would be a step too far, so the meds I have for if an anxiety attack flares up are basically antihistamines. Never had the opportunity to try them, since my attacks are triggered by very narrow and hard to recreate scenarios.

The meds I eat long-term have stopped my depression and gotten rid of that constant feeling I used to have of dread and unrest. Feels pretty damned great! Just wish I'd gotten my ASD diagnosis as a child instead of as an adult, would have saved me many years of unnecessary suffering.
    Is it Atarax? If so. Don't use them. I've tried them twice, you're gone for two days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Anxiety disorder and OCD. Put both of those together and life is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun

(No it isn't)
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi