Page 1 of 3
LastLast

removing pointless difficulties in raids, dungeons=cure wow

hey people does anyone else think we should go back to the way things used to be without mythic encounters, im not saying hardcore raiding doesn't have its place but it definitely feels like ever since we started getting so many difficulties in the same dungeon or raid we have lost content, every expansion we have had less and less dungeons and raids and i think this is what is burning out so many people. is it not simply allowing blizzard to re use bosses under the pretense that they are harder and that makes them different. i loved doing dungeons in vanilla and bc and wrath and there was so many to choose from all with different cosmetic styles that peeked interest and made you want to play more. would you guys prefer to going back to having more content rather than fighting the same boss in 4 different difficulties?

Yes, making one change will "cure wow" because its underlying problems are just waiting to be hit with a single magic bullet suggestion.

Deleted
    Or you know, just make raids + content. Pretty sure Blizzard has the time and people to do this but they just choose not to and focus on stuff like heartstone and overwatch. I play wow mainly to raid and if there is no high difficulty like Mythic i wouldn´t be playing this game.

Anyway this topic has been discussed/argued about a 1000 times now, use the search option.

Designing an entirely new dungeon is 100 times the work of giving mobs/bosses increased health/damage numbers.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dungeons are a giant timesink, and nothing else, after the first month of an expansion. The only become relevant again when they create newer levels like mythic. Had they not released mythic dungeons, I can safely say I wouldn't have done a single dungeon after the first month
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Designing an entirely new dungeon is 100 times the work of giving mobs/bosses increased health/damage numbers.
    Just because something is easy to do doesn't mean it's a good thing to do or the right thing to do- and this is even assuming it's easy to do, which isn't necessarily the case.

Raids having multiple difficulty levels has seriously compromised the game's ability to retain longevity deeper in the expansion. Instead of running older raids like HM and BRF and enjoying the variety that they bring, you're doing one of four flavors of HFC. Like it or not, that gets boring.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

If you remove challenge modes you remove challenging content, if you make heroics hard then the bad players cry, if you make them easy then the good players cry. Multiple difficulties was a natural solution to a genuine problem. I'm not saying I think how it works out is all that great but if you remove it then you create a problem that needs to be fixed.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

It would cure one of the numerous problems WoW currently has.

The difficulties are not the issue.

The problem is that tier set bonuses share between difficulties and that you can find gear upgrades in lower difficulties.

If you had no reason to do lower difficulties, you wouldn't do them. Sadly they are using this to artificially make the content last longer at the expense of making people sick of that content faster.

Deleted
    To cure wow it must be sick. What sickness does it have? When it had one difficulty it had severe problems with gating, because in order to keep some exclusivity you had to gate people behind grinds that offer no real challenge (and create unnecessary management issues with recruitment of new characters) while now mythic raiding is actually easy to get in, hard to get out of it successful, instead of being hard to get in, easier to get out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksin the enhance shamy View Post
    every expansion we have had less and less dungeons and raids
    Well, it is somewhat a lie. True, there was 2 raids in 6.0. WoD compared to 3 in MoP and Cata at launch. However, there was more bosses in Warlords 2 raids than MoP 3 raids. As for dungeons, there was more dungeons in 6.0. than in 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Dungeons are a giant timesink, and nothing else, after the first month of an expansion. The only become relevant again when they create newer levels like mythic. Had they not released mythic dungeons, I can safely say I wouldn't have done a single dungeon after the first month
    Or they can add a (proper) currency to keep them relevant throughout the expansion.

are you not counting vanilla and bc? i know vanilla isnt an expansion but it still had a lot more content as far as raids/ dungeons went

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    The difficulties are not the issue.

The problem is that tier set bonuses share between difficulties and that you can find gear upgrades in lower difficulties.

If you had no reason to do lower difficulties, you wouldn't do them. Sadly they are using this to artificially make the content last longer at the expense of making people sick of that content faster.
    im not saying its too hard, i ment what you said last. making content last longer than it should do is whats happening with the muiltiple difficulties and its making the content stagnate faster than it would if they had only two difficulties+ more content

Deleted
    WoW was on the rise up to the end of WotLK, what was different then and now?

TBC:

Dungeons had 2 difficulties, one you could jump in while leveling, one for raid preperation.
    Raids had 1 difficulty.

WotLK:

Dungeons remained the same way.
    Raids had 2 difficulties, 10 and 25 man. (up to ICC)

and now?
    Dungeons at 3
    Raids at 4

Legion
    Dungeons at 4
    Raids at 4

What I would consider a good option:

Dungeons:
    Normal - Leveling Content
    Heroic - Max Level Content
    Mythic - Scaling Difficulty to rival raiding (Challenge Modes)

Raids:
    Flex Mode - Scaling from 10 (8?) to 30 man. If you have 40 - 50% competent people you can do the raid
    Heroic Mode - Fixed Raidsize (20/25) make it a real challenge to beat these bosses

And to make up for the "lost" content: (Current Tier = X, Previous Tier = Y, Tier before Y = Z)
    At the release of Tier X, Tier Y is the gear level you should have to enter Heroic Mode, Tier Z can be skipped with a catch-up mechanic

So you always have 2 active raid tiers, expect at launch.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Or they can add a (proper) currency to keep them relevant throughout the expansion.
    I agree. Valor made it worthwhile to do the content. If there's some valor gear along with upgrades, I'd be very happy to do the content
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by tanksin the enhance shamy View Post
    hey people does anyone else think we should go back to the way things used to be without mythic encounters
    Uh, "going back" would mean there's only one difficulty that's equivalent to what mythic is now. Posts like this make me wonder if people doing them actually raided vanilla and BC content when it was current.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because removing all challenge from a game is a good thing.

Jesus fucking christ.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Well, it is somewhat a lie. True, there was 2 raids in 6.0. WoD compared to 3 in MoP and Cata at launch. However, there was more bosses in Warlords 2 raids than MoP 3 raids. As for dungeons, there was more dungeons in 6.0. than in 5.0.
    MOP actually had a lot of content. Most of the dissatisfaction and cries for more content came from the unreasonably long delay between SoO and WoD.

MOP had tons of reps to grind (which I hated), battle pets, scenarios, Isle of Thunder (one of my all time favorites), Krasarang Wilds (story driven dailies with weekly quests and world pvp content), Timeless Isles, Challenge Modes, farmville, and a great legendary cloak quest. There was plenty to do right up until SoO.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I don't think this will cure wow. I personally believe it should just be RF/Normal/Mythic. Leave raid finder like it is....it's just for tourist to see the area. Normal should be ramped back up to what it used to be, slightly difficult but there to show you the core mechanics. I just don't see the point of having mythic and heroic, just make it one. You get the mechanics you don't get in normal, have a fixed amount of players, less room for error, better loot. That'll also help with stat squishing since you will have three tiers vs four. Saves time in development also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    MOP actually had a lot of content. Most of the dissatisfaction and cries for more content came from the unreasonably long delay between SoO and WoD.

MOP had tons of reps to grind (which I hated), battle pets, scenarios, Isle of Thunder (one of my all time favorites), Krasarang Wilds (story driven dailies with weekly quests and world pvp content), Timeless Isles, Challenge Modes, farmville, and a great legendary cloak quest. There was plenty to do right up until SoO.
    I did not talk about overall content in WoD. I was just answering to the person who said that raid and dungeon content went downhill.