Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    snip
    Were you born yesterday? There's rotten apples everywhere. And your attitude is quite similar to what you're calling out, so it makes you look like a massive hypocrite.

People on both sides have said things like kill yourself/i hope you die. Don't turn a blind eye on what people you agree with are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    They were infringing on Blizzard's property, and Blizzard should have supported that? I'm not sure how that would have been smart?
    It's just more magical thinking from people who don't like being told "no". The real humor in this thread is the preposterous ideas and statements by kids upset Blizzard took their illegal toys away. Everything from "civil rights" to "they should hire the people who they're suing" has been flung around with abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Well, that's what you hope is true, to rationalize you playing a game you're not legally entitled to.
    I buy every game that I download and like and play except for a couple. I buy them when they are on sale, and I could probably go out on a limb and say most people also do that.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    As far as I could tell, 10 man was a lot more popular. Especially the ease of access it gave to server PuGs. Logging on a Saturday afternoon and you could most likely form a group for most any of the 10 man non heroic content they had made. Obv. different server to server. I'd agree there weren't nearly as many "10 man dedicated" raiding guilds. But I think the format of 10 man was run more often than 25 which is why they did what they did for Cata.
    10 mans outnumbered 25 mans in MoP for sure (even factoring that 1 raid team was 10 people of course), I think in Cata is was even more one-sided towards 10 man. Blizz wanted to build raids with a set size in mind and picked 20 and I think it would have done even more harm to guilds if flexible and cross-realm raiding didn't get introduced as well.

Cross-realm raiding + flexible + personal loot I think is going to help in Legion at least.

I dunno in WotLK you could do BOTH 10 and 25 man, or am I really failing to remember accurately. The transition between TBC and Wrath was "more accessable" rather than less. But the people who could only gather 9 other friends at the same time were upset at not getting as good quality loot as the people who could gather 24, so they made the Catabortion hue hue hue.

Not, I worded that deliberately, I'm not sincerely trying to antagonise
    Yeah, that was basically it.

10-mans in Wrath was basically the "PuG" difficulty, as most guilds (and realm forums) only counted 25-man for the realm progression race.

Cata flip-flopped that, and MoP did little to alleviate that with Blizzard saying that they themselves preferred 10-man. Then Flex came out and was totally awesome. (Actually preferred Flex to LFR at the end of MoP), and WoD decimated all of that (except perhaps Mythics.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkspace View Post
    In the end it doesn't matter. They surely could afford a classic realm, they won't make billions with it. It could just be a service to the community but they don't want that obviously.

Thanks for the link... exactly what I thought... it shows literally nothing about a donation debacle. I don't even now what you want to proof with it?
    They got too much players (more than expected), couldn't pay it without donations and asked for it (for a period of time)... the post is a year old and as you clearly can see, the server ran for one more year until Blizzard put an end to it.

It was f2p... a few people donated... everything went well. If more money would have been needed, more peopel would have donated. Period.
    I wonder if that argument is going to help them in court. You clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Oh thank goodness I wasn't saying Pet Battles added a new difficulty setting to the game, or anything like that. I doubt theres a figure anywhere but I'd expect "time spent doing pet battles" to have a healthy chunk of player time-spent.

May not have been for you, that's groovy, I never really got into Arena, always preferred the BG style of PVP; but I wouldn't try to pretend Arena just reduced the value of PvP to a four digit rating.
    I remember trying pet battles. I think I got a pet to level 3 (or was it 5?) and said to myself "this isn't what I want to be doing". And I never fought another pet battle again.

I had the same experience with arena. I did a few arena battles with some guildies in BC, decided I didn't like it, and never entered an arena ever again after that.

I wonder if it's just me, or do a lot of people reject some part of the game forever if their initial experience with it isn't good enough?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Sure, but money still goes to Blizzard.
    What? Account selling is through 3rd shady parties. Original post was talking about account selling which also happens on live and it not condoned by Blizzard (much like gold selling).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    10 mans outnumbered 25 mans in MoP for sure (even factoring that 1 raid team was 10 people of course), I think in Cata is was even more one-sided towards 10 man. Blizz wanted to build raids with a set size in mind and picked 20 and I think it would have done even more harm to guilds if flexible and cross-realm raiding didn't get introduced as well.

Cross-realm raiding + flexible + personal loot I think is going to help in Legion at least.
    I meant 10 man was more popular in Wrath. Of course it was more popular after Cata, there was only about 5% of the 25 man guilds left after that
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by wanna993 View Post
    Were you born yesterday? There's rotten apples everywhere. And your attitude is quite similar to what you're calling out, so it makes you look like a massive hypocrite.

People on both sides have said things like kill yourself/i hope you die. Don't turn a blind eye on what people you agree with are saying.
    Well on the last part I believe the 'kill yourself/hope you die' stuff has been only from one side. Long time posters of these forums wouldn't try something that blatantly asking for a ban. Though both sides have engaged in massive shitposting the 'hope you die' stuff is one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I wonder if it's just me, or do a lot of people reject some part of the game forever if their initial experience with it isn't good enough?
    I don't know. I stuck with Arenas for 4 expansions but I never really "got into it" like some of my friends. Just didn't seem to "fit" with the general idea of the WoW universe in the way that the battlegrounds did. Sure "capturing a flag" was a bit derpy, but the idea that WSG was a skirmish in Ashenvale between Alliance forces and horde forces in an attempt to steal resources (the flag) from the other camp, it can be made to fit :P I do think that PvP is one aspect of the game that people struggle to get into simply because when you're new at it it is punishing. Took months before I was able to feel confident charging into the melee and not just getting #rekt

At the time I found a strong negative correlation between "People who had played Pokemon a lot" and "People who liked pet battles", on the grounds of "Why would I want to play a watered down version of pokemon, I could just go and play pokemon?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Best bet to see some of the fights on heroic is just find a guild that clears it often and get in with some friends. Since it is flexible it is a bit easier to carry some people if the rest are good. Also if you like mounts you'd want to do Archimonde at least on normal.
    Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get back in and complete it before Legion. Maybe OpenRaid or something, cause my guild isn't raiding any more this expansion. And, I'll have some time to now that I got laid off (Yay for government budget issues LOL.) Ah well, will give me more time for WoW, FFXIV, and to continue work on the flash game I was building.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    Yeah, that was basically it.

10-mans in Wrath was basically the "PuG" difficulty, as most guilds (and realm forums) only counted 25-man for the realm progression race.

Cata flip-flopped that, and MoP did little to alleviate that with Blizzard saying that they themselves preferred 10-man. Then Flex came out and was totally awesome. (Actually preferred Flex to LFR at the end of MoP), and WoD decimated all of that (except perhaps Mythics.)
    Because in wotlk 25mans had better gear.
    In cata they did not. If I recall they balanced it with 25mans giving more gear/person relative to 10man. And for many, the hassle of 25man handling/organization didn't outweight the 1-2 extra pieces you'd get (same ilvl and all).

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get back in and complete it before Legion. Maybe OpenRaid or something, cause my guild isn't raiding any more this expansion. And, I'll have some time to now that I got laid off (Yay for government budget issues LOL.) Ah well, will give me more time for WoW, FFXIV, and to continue work on the flash game I was building.
    Shouldn't even need OpenRaid with the group finder tools already in game. Though I will warn you some of those groups are very anal about requiring achievements/legendary ring and so on....so maybe yeah OpenRaid might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by wanna993 View Post
    Because in wotlk 25mans had better gear.
    In cata they did not. If I recall they balanced it with 25mans giving more gear/person relative to 10man. And for many, the hassle of 25man handling/organization didn't outweight the 1-2 extra pieces you'd get (same ilvl and all).
    Yeah, I remember now. A lot of 25-man guilds complained about it.

While back on the theme of nostalgia. I notice that a lot of us are talking about non-Vanilla experiences. It just makes me think more and more than if Blizz was to ever start classic servers I don't really think Vanilla would be the choice. I really feel like it would be WotLK.

Shouldn't even need OpenRaid with the group finder tools already in game. Though I will warn you some of those groups are very anal about requiring achievements/legendary ring and so on....so maybe yeah OpenRaid might be better.
    Yeah, my druid has her legendary ring, although I quit before I did any upgrading to it. Her iLvl is probably a bit low though.

Deleted
    Well on the last part I believe the 'kill yourself/hope you die' stuff has been only from one side. Long time posters of these forums wouldn't try something that blatantly asking for a ban. Though both sides have engaged in massive shitposting the 'hope you die' stuff is one sided.
    I've seen anti-vanilla people saying those things. the nost crowd wasn't the only one making new accounts.

While back on the theme of nostalgia. I notice that a lot of us are talking about non-Vanilla experiences. It just makes me think more and more than if Blizz was to ever start classic servers I don't really think Vanilla would be the choice. I really feel like it would be WotLK.
    Wrath & MoP are the two points of my fondest memories in game. (Played a shaman in ICC.. Chain heal spam... Good times... LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I purposefully left out Vash'jir and Stonecore because they were both phenomenal in design. Vash'jir (to me) has some of the best visuals marred by some of the most painfully generic questing, though I did like the storytelling device of seeing through the Naga warrior's eyes.

Maybe I just put some of my own criticisms into that one. It isn't that I didn't enjoy all the zones in Cata, but it really felt like Ashenvale+Fire, Tanaris+Titans and Arathi+Madness. Also I was a bit miffed that it was all designed to be flown over, I did try using a ground mount for a while but there were vast swathes of emptiness and areas that seemed inaccessible without taking to the skies.

Cata was hit or miss the whole way through - great ideas, but the execution was too flawed too many times. And, the Worgen starting zone is still my favorite, most well executed, and best designed starting zone they've done. It kills me that they designed that city, and it just sits there, unused.