Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Their lives were only worth 180 days? 2 years for a punk who compounded his crimes by trying to escape?

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Um, no. It wasn't first degree murder. Probably like 10x longer than he is getting now though.
    He is white and wealthy so that takes death or life in jail off the table for sure. The legal system seriously failed here. The judge and DA that allowed this nonsense to happen should do the remainder of the time this piece of shit isn't going to have to do. On a side note if you are going to argue affluenza and get away with it then the parents should be held responsible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Their lives were only worth 180 days? 2 years for a punk who compounded his crimes by trying to escape?
    Nevemind the fact he was was so drunk he would have faced that much time just for the extreme dui in most states. 3 times the legal limit is jail time in about half of the country.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

this whole thing has been an abortion of justice, really. I'm curious how hard his mother was hit for helping him flee.

Let's send him a 50-gallon drum of lube. Strawberry-flavored.

Deleted
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

Just reading the wiki is pretty bad. His parents are trash and so is he.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, that's it? Texas rarely plays around when it comes to harsh sentences. Dudes family must have some serious connections if they can pull this shit off. Dude deserves to spend the rest of his life behind bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Wow, that's it? Texas rarely plays around when it comes to harsh sentences. Dudes family must have some serious connections if they can pull this shit off. Dude deserves to spend the rest of his life behind bars.
    His father is a gov contractor. I'm not sure what services he provides to the feds, but its enough to get his kid off for murder. /shrug
    Had he not fucked up and got caught on camera playing beer pong, he would have gotten off 100% free. It infuriates me, TX throws the book at any and ALL drunk driving incidents........ Unless your daddy has federal cock in his mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like he's getting off easy to me. I mean he fled the country.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    His father is a gov contractor. I'm not sure what services he provides to the feds, but its enough to get his kid off for murder. /shrug
    Had he not fucked up and got caught on camera playing beer pong, he would have gotten off 100% free. It infuriates me, TX throws the book at any and ALL drunk driving incidents........ Unless your daddy has federal cock in his mouth.
    His dads been mixed up with the law plenty too :

His parents have also each had legal problems, publicized retrospectively in the media following their son's conviction.[9] Fred Couch has been charged with criminal mischief, theft by check, and assault, but the charges were dismissed. On August 19, 2014, he was arrested for impersonating a police officer, allegedly displaying a fake badge during a disturbance call.[11][14] In 2013, Tonya Couch was sentenced to a $500 fine and a six-month community supervision order for reckless driving when she used her vehicle to force another motorist off the road.[9][

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Seems like he's getting off easy to me. I mean he fled the country.
    Pretty sure the max they could give him is 180 per victim because of juvenile system plus how original sentence was handled. Blame the original judge for such a shitty sentence, not current for following the law

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's to hoping he'll make a habit of being put back in prison to make up for the time he wasn't given.

Will his mother be charged with anything?
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Was it manslaughter or murder in first degree or what?

If you kill someone while drunk you can get:

Alabama
    : 1 to 10 years
    Alaska
    : 1 to 99 years
    Arizona
    : 1 to 22 years
    Arkansas
    : 5 to 20 years
    California
    : 0 to 10 years
    Colorado
    : 0 to 24
    years
    Connecticut
    : 1 to 10 years
    Delaware
    : 1 to 5 years
    DC
    : 0 to 30 y
    ears
    Florida
    : 0 to 15 years
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois
    : 1 to 28 years
    Indiana
    : 2 to 20 years
    Iowa
    : 1 to 25 years
    Kansas
    : 0 to 172 months
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    : 3 to 30 years
    Maine
    : 6 months to 10
    years
    Maryland
    : 0 to 5 years
    Massachusetts
    : 30 days to 15 years
    Michigan
    : 0 to 20 years
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    : 5 to 25 years
    Missouri
    Montana
    : 0 to 30 years
    Nebraska
    : 1 to 50 years
    Nevada
    : 2 to 25 years
    New Hampshire
    : 0 to 15
    years
    New Jersey
    : 5 to 10 years
    New Mexico
    : 0 to 6 years
    New York
    North Carolina
    : 15 to 480 months
    North Dakota
    : 0 to life
    imprisonment
    Ohio
    : 1 to 15 years
    Oklahoma
    : 0 to 1 year
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Islan
    d
    : 5 to 20 years
    South Carolina
    : 1 to 25 years
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    : 8 to 60 years
    Texas
    : 2 to 20 years
    Utah
    Vermont
    : 1 to 15 years
    Virginia
    : 1 to 20 years
    Washington
    : 31 to 177 months
    West Virginia
    : 90 days to 10 years
    Wisc
    onsin
    : 0 to 40 years
    Wyoming

North Dakota don't funk around. Oklahoma is like 1 year.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Pretty sure the max they could give him is 180 per victim because of juvenile system plus how original sentence was handled. Blame the original judge for such a shitty sentence, not current for following the law
    He's no longer a juvenile. Surely he can be charged for skipping out on his probation and then fleeing capture by leaving the country as an adult.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    He's no longer a juvenile. Surely he can be charged for skipping out on his probation and then fleeing capture by leaving the country as an adult.
    Don't think you can give an adult sentence over violating a Juvie probation at 18. That's prob why this is so short. Now that he's 19 and apparantly the law considers 19 as when one moves into adult sentencing here, if he violates again he can get adult sentence

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    His dads been mixed up with the law plenty too :

His parents have also each had legal problems, publicized retrospectively in the media following their son's conviction.[9] Fred Couch has been charged with criminal mischief, theft by check, and assault, but the charges were dismissed. On August 19, 2014, he was arrested for impersonating a police officer, allegedly displaying a fake badge during a disturbance call.[11][14] In 2013, Tonya Couch was sentenced to a $500 fine and a six-month community supervision order for reckless driving when she used her vehicle to force another motorist off the road.[9][
    Wow. A family full of shit stains.

Hopefully they send him to Federal Pound You In The Ass Prison.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    720 days is nothing really. Once you are committed to a sentence and prison, the warden controls your sentence. With but a flick of his pen he could commute his entire sentence. Depending on how he was sentenced for his charges, to be carried consecutively or non consecutively means he could earn jail credits which would lessen his sentence. Violating probation and fleeing from law enforcement are technically non-violent crimes and thus prisoners are able to earn "good time" on those charges. It's usually something along the line of every 10 days you spend in jail you get an extra day off credited to your sentence. By working or doing a job in jail you can also earn additional time off. Once he serves 40% of his time for each charge he will be eligible for parole. Depending on how texas does it, good time may not apply to that 40%.

The article is rather conflicting stating at one point that he got 180 days for each victim and nothing is set in stone, they will reconvene in 2 weeks. Violation of probation is a low class misdemeanor which usually carries a 6 month minimum 2 year maximum sentence. Maximum sentencing for probation violation or fleeing from law enforcement will unlikely be used because he is not a "repeat offender" in that regard. Fleeing from Law Enforcement, depending on the statute, is either a class A misdemeanor or Class D felony. Class D felony's usually carry a 1 year minimum, 2-4 year maxout. So it appears right now, the time he is spending is purely on manslaughter/vehicular homicide charges.

Hopefully the judge will be tough and make his sentence NON-consecutive. If your sentence is consecutive, you gain a day of jail credit for each charge you have vs non consecutive where you do not. If it is non-consecutive, he will have to serve 720 days before he can start serving his sentence for fleeing, and after that time is spent start spend down his violation charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Was it manslaughter or murder in first degree or what?

If you kill someone while drunk you can get
    In Norwich Connecticut, we had a guy run over, drag, and kill a brother and sister in front of NFA highschool. He dropped his beer in the car, it was his 5th dui and his license was suspended for a DUI. Guy only got 7 years served little over a year and he is still eligible to get his license back. Shameful

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    He is white and wealthy so that takes death or life in jail off the table for sure.
    Actually, he didn't get the death penalty because he didn't commit capital murder. He didn't commit murder at all which also took life in prison out.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    *snippity snip*

North Dakota don't funk around. Oklahoma is like 1 year.
    http://www.orangecountyduilawyersblo...ing-penalties/

I vote we send his ass to Saudi Arabia.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Hopefully they send him to Federal Pound You In The Ass Prison.
    If you were to go to prison, federal prison is where you want to go. Facilities are nicer, swimming pools, tennis courts, etc. The food you get is substantially higher in nutrition and quality then state/privatized prisons who serve food which is deemed unsafe for the normal public to consume. By nice I mean steak, fish, icecream etc. Their are vending machines, soda machines in federal prison as well as a considerably larger commissary list. Prisoners are given actual mattress's and you can actually get a tax payer paid temper-pedic mattress. You can get full cable packages vs state/privatized prisons which offer a very limited selection. In addition, the pay phones in federal prison will allow you to call cellphones, even prepaid, which is something state/privatized prisons do not allow. As for federal pound me in the ass prison gays, trans, are considered heightened security risk prisoners and are generally segregated from the general population. Conjugal visits are allowed in federal prison