Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethanor View Post
    the community destroyed itself ... its this current generation of young people with their need for instant gradification and being triggered by any and all bullshit.
    this is also not a wow problem, its a problem in EVERY aspect of life.
    This.

But it's hard to convince people that they are at fault, and also wrong, so they will continue to blame LFR for all the world's problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just go outside and make new friends rather than hoping a game will provide you with them? I don't get all this fluff about "community" when it's better to have real friends, and a real life. This is the major problem with people bemoaning the lack of community, most of WoW's former players moved on and joined a real life community and have no interest in devoting insane amounts of time to a game anymore. The ones who didn't do that sit in forums all day asking "what ever happened to the community!?", they went outside.

No. They need to implement more options for Wow. Same, as PVE and PVP servers.. Implement Vanilla/TBC/WotLK servers. Implement servers with flying enabled. Implement servers for noobs, where they have to push 4-button rotation only. Etc. No need for new game - just improve existing one.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by thefkuffyrocker View Post
    The model T ford works as well these days as it did when it was first made and with better replacement parts, better fuel and oil it probably works better than it did when it first came off the assembly line but my Ford Focus is still better.

There is a difference between actually still working and being better.

In all reality no one liked sitting in trade chat for hours just to get a group going with the possibility of it failing before you even spent the 20 minutes to get to the instance but it was more 'social' than the LFD tool.
    The LFD tool is more convenient but it is little better than playing with a group of NPC's most of the time.
    The interesting thing is there already is a great compromise in the game which is the LFG tool which people use for mythic dungeons and Pug raids.
    Vanilla system was poor, LFD tool is poor, the compromise between the two is much better.

By your own analogy you're wrong, there are plenty of older cars that are clearly superior cars than your ford focus. The focus might have fancy new technology built into it but as a car its inferior. There are many older cars I would trade your ford focus for in a heartbeat.

You are grossly exaggerating the amount of time to form groups, I've spent more time waiting in queues than I ever did forming groups myself. Also in vanilla we had a LFG channel made that you could use from anywhere in the world. A player made channel to find replacements if anyone dropped group during a dungeon, and you could continue clearing a dungeon with 4 people while the 5th made their way there, unless you had a warlock. Sure there were times when it was less efficient, a better option would have been a summoning feature for all or more classes. The LFG tool does nothing to address the anonymity that is the root of the toxic community.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    They just need a game that fosters community and people will flood to it.
    If players don't choose to foster a community then forcing them to isn't the solution. LFG and LFR didn't kill the community. There was a LFG tool in burning crusade that wasn't widely used because it wasn't very convenient or cross realm. A new game won't be like Vanilla because the world has changed since then. Any new game that doesn't have modern features won't be a critical success and will only draw people that are intent on punishing themselves on certain things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The community destroyed the community. With the Advent of trolls (who have always been there, only more subtle), streamers, etc, the total amount of people finding ways to belittle, embarrass or otherwise annoy part of the community / players rose up and they found new pathways to do their bidding. Like every trend/bad behavior, this caught fire and more and more people just decided to hop along and do the same crap.

Its not a generational thing, its not an LFR/LFG feature fault...its the own playerbase. Bad apples are found everywhere, and when we decide to copy/emulate the actions of a few and spread it, it destroys the desire for people to interact in a world (of warcraft /snort) that would jump at the opportunity to put them in ridicule.

That's about it.

Sig made by @winter blossoms

They tried that, with Titan. Then it failed and they started over from scratch. Then it failed again and it became Overwatch / Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethanor View Post
    its not the game that destroyed the community ... and even tho i loved the old days, i dont get why people think the game made the community into the abomination it currently is ...

the community destroyed itself ... its this current generation of young people with their need for instant gradification and being triggered by any and all bullshit.
    this is also not a wow problem, its a problem in EVERY aspect of life.

and your proposition wouldnt work, cause the people that used to love the old days are now older and mostly dont play anymore or dont play as much anymore (priorities seem to shift over the course of ones life ... who would've guessed ^^) and the young crowd wouldnt play such a game for all the reasons why we get the kind of games we see these days.
    While it's true this generation is like that, the game caters to their every whim at every possible turn. This game greatly encourages people to solo and use people as NPC's and guild hop to get what they want, because it's SO easy to do that with zero side effects.

The player pool is too big and people are too easily disposable, thanks to LFR and LFG(cross server).

Deleted
    I do think that if they made a new MMO, they would have the benefit from the ground up to design it with longevity in mind. That said, no I don't think it makes much sense for them to begin a new MMO now.

They could save a lot of time by just putting the development $$$ in a big pile and setting it on fire.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    When will people stop making these threads? Unless you invent time travel to go back in time to when all these players you talk about loving Vanilla were in their glory age, it's pointless. People get older and move on.

The current market for everything is instant gratification. It's not WoWs fault or just a problem with WoW. It's a problem with EVERYTHING!
    You sure are quick to generalize an entire generation of people. Many people would have probably said the same thing about kids in 2005 you know...
    The truth is that the youth now isn't much different than the youth in 2000, or even earlier. There have always been instant gratification types. The game just caters to them much more now.
    If a game nowadays tried to attract a better community it would still be possible to find a good playerbase.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    They tried that, with Titan. Then it failed and they started over from scratch. Then it failed again and it became Overwatch / Destiny.
    Destiny? It's not even fucking close to Destiny

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't get into any other MMO after playing WoW for 10 years that even another MMO from Blizzard I don't see myself playing.

WoW is the definitive MMO. I have played so many MMO's but its WoW I come back to, maybe because I been a fan of Warcraft lore since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans there is no other MMO that can draw me in, even LotR Online, in which I am a huge Tolkien lore nerd, didn't draw me in with their MMO.

WoW will be the first and last MMO I will ever play unless revolutionary changes are made to the genre.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by smallz View Post
    You sure are quick to generalize an entire generation of people. Many people would have probably said the same thing about kids in 2005 you know...
    The truth is that the youth now isn't much different than the youth in 2000, or even earlier. There have always been instant gratification types. The game just caters to them much more now.
    If a game nowadays tried to attract a better community it would still be possible to find a good playerbase.
    There are definitely generational issues. When WoW came out a lot of gamers that were born in the 80s and even 70s were still playing. This generation of players were raised with a completely different mindset that in order to get what you wanted you had to work for it and teamwork and social play were very important and this affected how they appreciated and viewed rewards.

Within the last 10 years a large chunk of these players have a lot less time for games or have even lost interest in gaming. WoW is probably exactly the game it needs to be to cater to the current generation of gamers. But for those older players that are still left in the MMORPG community this paradigm shift can be very annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    No. They need to implement more options for Wow. Same, as PVE and PVP servers.. Implement Vanilla/TBC/WotLK servers. Implement servers with flying enabled. No need for new game - just improve existing one.
    We don't even get regular updates for the current version of WoW, which should have the absolute top priority. Unless Blizzard massively stocks up on resources, such servers would be a completely silly waste of such.

I mean, I am a supporter of playing vanilla, but i understand that the economic hurdles for it atm are just that, hurdles. maybe you can make the jump, maybe not, maybe you hit the first hurdle but succeed over the rest or whatever.

Anyway, I dont care what format its in, but I just want an actual MMO COMMUNITY.

Vanilla, not specifically nost(not trying to make this about nost or legacy servers, just mentioning them), but back when i played vanilla. it had great community. the community was great all the way through most of WotLK. it started its decline with the introduction of LFG, then LFR. I stopped playing before WOD came out and from what i hear or see wow has pretty much turned into a single player game.

Also I completely understand that not everything in vanilla was all so perfect as people claimed it to be, it had plenty of problems, the suicide rate for people leveling warriors was high, depression for people trying to play ret pallies or boomkins were at dangerous levels. finally finding your 5th person for stratholm but their in silithus with a CDd hearth and your group doesnt have a warlock..PvP balance was perfect tho! i mean come on, it was =P 3k backstabs anyone!!?!

BUT, the community that was born made all this crap that people had to endure worth it.

So really, If blizz just makes another MMO, they need to do this.

new story
    no LFG
    no LFR
    no garrisons i guess
    no listening to players who whine about wiping in a heroic 5man, demanding it to be nerfed because they are in mostly all blues and the expansion came out 5 days ago and it should be super easy by now!!!! (that really is the worst >_>)

and whatever else i can't think of right now that destroyed community

They just need a game that fosters community and people will flood to it.
    Complaints like this are why I wish Blizzard would open a new server type where there was no CRZ, LFG, LFR, and possibly no group finder since it's almost the same thing.

I would never play on that server, but at least its success or failure would prove once and for all whether queuing ruins communities or not. If it was successful enough for even one populated server, then at least you are servicing those gamer's needs better.

10+ Year Old Account
    They already said they don't see a future in investing in the MMORPG market. World of Warcraft was lightning in a bottle and they're gonna ride it out until it ends. I think they're mostly right. The game market is changing and Blizzard is adapting to it. Smaller, faster games are more popular now than ever before.

Blizzard drained the life out of the entire genre, it's going through a bust period right now, making a new MMO wouldn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Complaints like this are why I wish Blizzard would open a new server type where there was no CRZ, LFG, LFR, and possibly no group finder since it's almost the same thing.

I would never play on that server, but at least its success or failure would prove once and for all whether queuing ruins communities or not. If it was successful enough for even one populated server, then at least you are servicing those gamer's needs better.
    That server would fail because those issues alone aren't why WoW is in the pathetic state that it currently is.

Deleted
    Also I completely understand that not everything in vanilla was all so perfect as people claimed it to be, it had plenty of problems, the suicide rate for people leveling warriors was high, depression for people trying to play ret pallies or boomkins were at dangerous levels. finally finding your 5th person for stratholm but their in silithus with a CDd hearth and your group doesnt have a warlock..PvP balance was perfect tho! i mean come on, it was =P 3k backstabs anyone!!?!
    Ill give you that it was so annoying and took forever to get the people together but 3k backstabs absolutely werent a problem. Vanilla let players craft their own playstyles and experiment with them which was a very very good thing. It would only have been a problem if one playstyle would become too effective and forced every player to choose that or lose. However that wasnt the case. As for balance, well, an RPG shouldnt be balanced, its a team game.