65. This poll is closed
  • the players

29 44.62%
  • blizzard designing team

36 55.38%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast

who failed wow? the players vs blizzard management

certainly blizzard created the game, but it was the players who built the communities.
    i have to say it is blizzard's failure to listening to the player community lead to the downfall of wow.

Deleted
    expansions. all that previous work & content down the drain and takes up to 12 months of nothing for it to come out

Deleted
    WoW hasn't failed. It got old.

Name me a 10 year old game that has more players now than it has ever had? The only possibility is Counter Strike, and that's if you even consider that a fair comparison as CS, CS:Source, CS:GO are technically three separate games.

Did the devs make mistakes? Absolutely.
    Did the players make mistakes? Absolutely.

Happens in every game.
    Last edited by mmoc89ec62a408; 2016-04-13 at 10:24 PM.

Deleted
    Blizzard. They build the game that shapes the community, you make things too convenient, community will turn to suit the game. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post

Name me a 10 year old game that has more players now than it has ever had? The only possibility is Counter Strike, and that's if you even consider that a fair comparison as CS, CS:Source, CS:GO are technically three separate games.

Happens in every game.
    Not to mention monthly subscription.

What is this about? I mean what happened that made OP create this thread?
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Happens in every game.
    Only if you assume WoW never expanded it's engines and assume Vanilla, BC, WotLK, MoP, WoD, and Legion are all three seperate games. How you play a prot paladin now is VERY different than how you played it in BC.

Whereas CS .. is still basically the same mechanically.

10+ Year Old Account

Happens in every game.
    EVE Online. Still holds the record for longest-lasting subscription based game.

Who fails? The murderer or the one who was murdered?

Happens in every game.
    I agree with this.

I don't think WoW failed at all. I mean, its quality has dropped sure, as Blizzard is trying to cater to new demographics, but its not fair to say the game failed.

Its like saying a TV show that runs 10 years failed. It didn't, it just got stale and it had to end.

All good things must come to an end, and WoW really should end(it won't because it still rakes in a ton of money relative to the industry).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody. Games change over time. Fixing broken things, trying out new things or simply catering to different tastes. Some people seem to remember JUST the fun things from the old version and whine about it now (the WoW equivalent of your grandpa muttering about things were so much better back in his day). Others are pissed that the game is trying to make things that may interest or cater to people who like different things about wow. I am pretty sure that since the first patch for wow relased, there have been people yelling about how Blizzard has ruined the game.

Disclaimer:

I have played wow since the tail end of vanilla till now. I understand how some people may feel nostalgic for older version but I also know they were far from perfect (ask anyone who tried playing Enh Shaman in Vanilla or to a lesser extent during BC).

I am also do not have a Blind Spot to blizzard f*ing up occasionally (Anyone else remember that asinine forum RealID idea they had or the Call of the crusade raid).\

I just am starting to get tired of the 'ZOMG the sky is falling' whining based on incomplete content that is sill in the testing phase.
    I can stand the sight of worms,
    And look at microscopic germs,
    But Technicolor pachyderms,
    Is really too much for me.

Tragic victim of Altitis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    EVE Online. Still holds the record for longest-lasting subscription based game.
    A good one, but incorrect. EVE has been in decline since 2014.

I was not asking about long last subscription games, there are many. But a game that is 10 years old AND has a higher user base than it has ever had. I believe all games of that age have peaked and are in decline. It's natural.
    Last edited by mmoc89ec62a408; 2016-04-13 at 10:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how it could be the players fault if wow sucks, we just play the game, we don't design it. Even if blizz decided to listen to player feedback and make 100% of the changes that are asked for, it's still blizzards fault, still their decision.

Only "fail" about WoW would be the sub-par expansion packs; Because one can argue that all the other aspects make or break the game, but I don't necessarily count them as failures, not to mention very subjective at that.

And even so, in the end, it's not the players that make the game. Blizzard is the one that should be making the decisions and keeping a balance of what is good for the game and good for the players - and not only about profit and resource management.

The players would be there if Blizzard created the right environment.

Quote Originally Posted by giovannileanza View Post
    What is this about? I mean what happened that made OP create this thread?
    I would say just want to find another topic to shit on Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying WoW failed is like saying CSI: was a terrible show because it had two spinoffs and like 17 seasons.

Gary says it best at the begining of WoD:

- - - Updated - - -

A good one, but incorrect. EVE has been in decline since 2014.

I was not asking about long last subscription games, there are many. But a game that is 10 years old AND has a higher user base than it has ever has. I believe all games of that age have peaked and are in decline. It's natural.
    It's decline is no where as severe as WoW's was.

Of course it's Blizzard who failed WoW. The players don't "owe" anything to the company and never have. It's blizzard's job to keep creating a compelling game that keeps people coming back, and they have failed that objective hugely in recent years

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    It's decline is no where as severe as WoW's was.
    Rough numbers, but EVE has lost 30%, WoW has lost 50% (at last known numbers). While less severe you've only reinforced my point, old games peak.

If you look at the game objectively it is one of the highest quality MMOs with outstanding CS etc etc.

The Lore is subjective, you love or you hate Green Jesus etc.

The only thing wow has failed to do is grow.

Thus it has stagnated and has kind of been in a rut since Cataclysm.

We expected an expansive universe with cumulative amounts of content to devour.

What we got was lateral growth and copypasted continents with questionable motives for going to war