10+ Year Old Account

How World Quests have gotten it wrong

Serious question here - What do people think of the idea? For me, I feel like Blizzard is once again demonstrating a disconnect with the playerbase.

I like the concept; Notification on the map of stuff to do. But of course the modern Blizzard approach seems a bit off the mark. It seems to be both
    • A randomised treadmill; and
    • Something done in place of actual physical NPCs you go off and talk to.

In my eyes the second point there is the key problem. I like the idea of the map telling me "There are things over here that need doing." But I'd rather have the map saying "There are people over here who would like your help with something. Go and talk to them."

Tthat kind of approach adds context, immersion and emotional investment. If I'm heading around the map just killing stuff because a menu told me too that's basically just putting lipstick on an Apexis zone.

Another important thing is that in the old days (even MoP) having faction reputations and rep bars was a way that you could feel like you had substantively "beaten", "won", or "finished" a faction. You won't get that with these world quests, which I think will be something we look back on negatively in the Legion post-mortem.

Just some thoughts. I'm happy for a map pointing me to stuff but I want to be given context in the world. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Klingers; 2016-04-14 at 03:01 AM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering there's only 300+ quests split between all of the various activities in the game, it's going to get extremely repetitive. That and taking multiple flight paths, riding around, and dealing with unnecessary shit on the ground. They might as well add a second monitor as a system requirement.

They said that they have over 300 ready for testing, meaning that there will be more than 300 by the time the full system launches.

While the "purposeless ness" may be an issue (though didn't they say at Blizzcon that quests would be tied to factions, and you would have dailies from those factions asking you to focus on particular areas?) I can't say the triviality of whether I talked to an NPC or not is a sticking point with the system at all.

LOL It's not even out yet and you people are crying like the man-children you are.
    Holy fucking shit, I can't believe how you people could even exist in the real world

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Serious question here - What do people think of the idea? For me, I feel like Blizzard is once again demonstrating a disconnect with the playerbase.

I like the concept; Notification on the map of stuff to do. But of course the modern Blizzard approach seems a bit off the mark. It seems to be both

In my eyes the second point there is the key problem. I like the idea of the map telling me "There are things over here that need doing." But I'd rather have the map saying "There are people over here who would like your help with something. Go and talk to them."

Tthat kind of approach adds context, immersion and emotional investment. If I'm heading around the map just killing stuff because a menu told me too that's basically just putting lipstick on an Apexis zone.

Another important thing is that in the old days (even MoP) having faction reputations and rep bars was a way that you could feel like you had substantively "beaten", "won", or "finished" a faction. You won't get that with these world quests, which I think will be something we look back on negatively in the Legion post-mortem.

Just some thoughts. I'm happy for a map pointing me to stuff but I want to be given context in the world. Thoughts?
    Have you not played Diablo 3? Because it's exactly the same as bounties. People like bounties for the most part, so here we are. Also, World quests don't grant Rep. Finishing a zone's 5 world quests grant an Emissary quest. Those grant Rep. And for those you have to go talk to the Questgiver.

My thoughts are that you're a terrible senior armchair designer, and should sit back while real designers do their job during 'alpha', before complaining like it's the end of the world.

Rereading that post, it also mentions that specific quests are linked to specific rep factions. Perhaps you missed that as I did?
    I can't imagine the quests are going to be as unexplained as "go here, kill thing" either, there are plenty of quests during levelling even now where you are given an objective without physically talking to someone.
    What you are achieving will be explained, and it will advance the cause of a specific faction group, so these issues seem like things already covered by the system (if it works as explained in that post).

There should already be context for what you are doing covered by the system as implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post

Good post.

I too want the RPG elements brought back into the game. Class fantasy is just a paint job and doesn't do anything for the RPG aspect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Rereading that post, it also mentions that specific quests are linked to specific rep factions. Perhaps you missed that as I did?
    I can't imagine the quests are going to be as unexplained as "go here, kill thing" either, there are plenty of quests during levelling even now where you are given an objective without physically talking to someone.
    What you are achieving will be explained, and it will advance the cause of a specific faction group, so these issues seem like things already covered by the system (if it works as explained in that post).

There should already be context for what you are doing covered by the system as implemented.
    Remember, this guy has made BS posts before!

Will people whine over every single one of Legion's features? Jesus Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    My thoughts are that you're a terrible senior armchair designer, and should sit back while real designers do their job during 'alpha', before complaining like it's the end of the world.
    A senior Armchair designer without arms couldve made a better product than WoD

Quote Originally Posted by Grandork View Post
    Apparently, I mean I did over the garrisons 2.0 thing, I think people are worried that even though Blizzard says it's not, it is in fact going to be that. 300 ready for testing more than likely means 300 ready for testing before live, and then some added later.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandork View Post
    If something exists there will be people who whine over it. Stupid question really.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is an active thread about the recently revealed World Quest feature. Please discuss it there.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2-World-Quests
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."