Quote Originally Posted by peterpan007 View Post
    And hence the petition
    You think a petition is going to change copyright law, copyright treaties, and force Blizzard to stop defending their copyright?

You're not delusional, you're insane. Hilariously so!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    You think a petition is going to change copyright law, copyright treaties, and force Blizzard to stop defending their copyright?

You're not delusional, you're insane. Hilariously so!
    It may make Blizzard reconsider its stance on legacy servers much like what happened with Runescape

It may make Blizzard reconsider its stance on legacy servers much like what happened with Runescape
    Sure it will. You keep dreaming, Champ.

Deleted
    roughly 3 years ago runescape split into oldschool runescape and normal runescape. today oldschool runescape is more popular, although only a tiny bit - they are close to 50:50.
    There is a recent article about that process, and that they are happy how it turned out, because thanks to that runescape started to grow again, oldschool even made inroads into esports.
    one of their problems was that their tools were not backed up - they had the old source-code and all, but did not backup their tools to work with the stuff they did backup

https://bl.reddit.com/r/2007scape/co..._mmk_into_the/

It’s more than three years since we had our first discussion about releasing legacy servers for RuneScape. However, we can now say that releasing Old School RuneScape was one of the best decisions we ever made. Since Old School RuneScape’s launch in February 2013 we have seen just short of seven million players log in with over two and a half million becoming members. During that time Old School has of course faced a number of challenges, but here’s how we overcame them and how we took a version of RuneScape from 10 years ago and made it relevant for todays’ gamers.

[...]

A lot of discussion about this matter, but yet noone is actually willing to do anything about it. I am willing, and instead of going in at the next Blizzcon I'd like to stay outside and protest.

We the players - fans have the power to change things.

We are not asking for something bizarre and unachievable. I am sure most of us would be willing to pay a sub to play on those servers. Even if Blizzard doesn't want to push resources into it... why not franchise its community. There are plenty of us out there that would volunteer take part on such a thing.

Lets gather people.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it will. You keep dreaming, Champ.
    We all are - hence this convo across the whole gaming community - the discussion is the first step

10+ Year Old Account
    @tratra Was going to post in your thread, until it got locked. Anyhow, here's my thoughts and opinion about the "legacy-syndrome".

You are over glorifying the image that old content is still great by today's standards. It was great at the time. Most of the classes back then was merely just a nicer name for buff-bots, de-cursers and Mana Spring Totem/Earth Resist/Armor/God what knows. Saying that it wasn't fun would be a lie, but if people complain about how problematic the current system is, they (the pro-legacy) will really lose their heads when they get to experience "real grinding" (and no, MoP and WoD legendaries wasn't a real grind), if by any chance Blizzard releases some kind of legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë View Post
    @tratra Was going to post in your thread, until it got locked. Anyhow, here's my thoughts and opinion about the "legacy-syndrome".

You are over glorifying the image that old content is still great by today's standards. It was great at the time. Most of the classes was merely just a nicer name for buff-bots, de-cursers and Mana Spring Totem/Earth Resist/Armor/God what knows. Saying that it wasn't fun would be a lie, but if people complain about how problematic the current system is, they (the pro-legacy) will really lose their heads when they get to experience "real grinding" (and no, MoP and WoD legendaries wasn't a real grind), if by any chance Blizzard releases some kind of legacy servers.
    It was much nicer, its not a syndrome, I did play a bit of nostralius and although I spent my longest time played on vanilla, I really enjoyed the content again, I forgotten how hard it was to get mats and do normal things, farm wintergrasp furblogs... epic raids, its not a syndrome mate, am speaking by experience.

And yes destro locks and rogues were broken, same as bubbladins but I don't rly care about it, I enjoyed that much more than the past expansions maybe after wotlk.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    Exactly this.

The WOW fanbase is much bigger than the current subscribers - from what I can read here and WOW forums are happy with WoD and current WOW. But the many other WOW fans who no longer relate to current WOW also have a voice to be heard.

No reason why both current and old WOW fanbase can't live in peace - makes a bigger WOW

Deleted
    Read back in the thread for the the numerous posts where I discussed the high cost of doing legacy servers. I won't find them for you, you can go look for yourself, if you're going to be snotty, I'm not going to make any effort to help you. Do your own homework.
    And where do you get this data that doing legacy servers would be costly and not be profitable? You have absolutely ZERO data. It's ALL speculation.

We do have some data, we have nosts player numbers, we have the online petition, we have this thread that has THOUSANDS of replies, we have numerous , incredibly LARGE threads across MANY OTHER WoW and MMORPG related sites. You are quick to dismiss that, but before you do that, let me remind that even if this isin't ALOT of evidence, you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO evidence. Nothing. What evidence do you want? How many need to sign the petition? 200k? 300k? A million? How many posts does this thread need to get?

Tell me, what do you have? Yeah, you have blizzard saying, you think you do, but you don't. So please, stop acting like a smartass. The only way to convince blizzard - is by posting on forums.

And i guess some speculation on how it would cost millions of dollars and that blizzard doesn't have the old code. By the way, THEY ADMITTED TO having the old code for vanilla. The only thing THEY have to do is update it. That's the ONLY issue.

Anyways, got any idea how to convince blizzard to make legacy servers?
    Last edited by mmoc7f3035b6ae; 2016-04-14 at 08:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalënë View Post

You are over glorifying the image that old content is still great by today's standards. It was great at the time. Most of the classes back then was merely just a nicer name for buff-bots, de-cursers and Mana Spring Totem/Earth Resist/Armor/God what knows. Saying that it wasn't fun would be a lie, but if people complain about how problematic the current system is, they (the pro-legacy) will really lose their heads when they get to experience "real grinding" (and no, MoP and WoD legendaries wasn't a real grind), if by any chance Blizzard releases some kind of legacy servers.
    Are you trying to tell me that I played Nost and only dreamt of enjoying it more than the last 6-7 years of WoW? wow.
    and just for the sake of it antoher excerpt from what I posted in my post just a bit above:
    After about six months we started to see player numbers settle and we could see that very few players migrated between Old School RuneScape and RuneScape. What we were not seeing was one game cannibalising the other, so we wanted to understand why a player would play one game and not the other. Through a series of surveys and data gathering from the game servers we saw there were some distinct reasons why people played Old School RuneScape. The three key reasons were the old combat system (which was changed in the main game in 2012) the grinding of levels, and the straightforward membership monetisation model. This made it very easy to position Old School RuneScape as complementarily to RuneScape and give us a very clear direction of where the game could go. More importantly, it identified areas we could branch into much more effectively than we could have done with RuneScape on its own. For example, the old combat system leant itself well to PvP combat, which in turn allowed us to take our first steps into the eSports market last month with considerable success.
    Last edited by mmoc559564dcfa; 2016-04-14 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    So why are people here trying to "convince Blizzard" not to do legacy realms just because "they're not profitable"?
    Because they aren't. Whatever reasoning an "anti-legacy" posting provides is there to try and convince the "pro-legacy" of something. Not Blizzard. Blizzard is more or less on the "anti-legacy" side already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post
    And where do you get this data that doing legacy servers would be costly and not be profitable? You have absolutely ZERO data. It's ALL speculation.

We do have some data, we have nosts player numbers, we have the online petition, we have this thread that has THOUSANDS of replies, we have numerous , incredibly LARGE threads across MANY OTHER WoW and MMORPG related sites. You are quick to dismiss that, but before you do that, let me remind that even if this isin't ALOT of evidence, you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO evidence. Nothing. What evidence do you want? How many need to sign the petition? 200k? 300k? A million? How many posts does this thread need to get?

Tell me, what do you have? Yeah, you have blizzard saying, you think you do, but you don't. So please, stop acting like a smartass. The only way to convince blizzard - is by posting on forums.

And i guess some speculation on how it would cost millions of dollars and that blizzard doesn't have the old code. By the way, THEY ADMITTED TO having the old code for vanilla. The only thing THEY have to do is update it. That's the ONLY issue.

Anyways, got any idea how to convince blizzard to make legacy servers?
    I don't care about legacy servers, not my circus, not my monkeys. Do your own homework, making the case for legacy servers is your problem, not mine.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of discussion about this matter, but yet noone is actually willing to do anything about it. I am willing, and instead of going in at the next Blizzcon I'd like to stay outside and protest.

We are not asking for something bizarre and unachievable. I am sure most of us would be willing to pay a sub to play on those servers. Even if Blizzard doesn't want to push resources into it... why not franchise its community. There are plenty of us out there that would volunteer take part on such a thing.

Lets gather people.
    Oh, look, the V For Vendetta crowd is here.

And I'm fresh out of popcorn.

legacy servers which is literally the best idea.
    literally /10car because we've never ever seen the WoW community ever ask for anything and then immediately complain about how terrible of an idea it was

Deleted
    I don't care about legacy servers, not my circus, not my monkeys. Do your own homework, making the case for legacy servers is your problem, not mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, look, the V For Vendetta crowd is here.

And I'm fresh out of popcorn.
    Which is exactly what i'm trying to do here.

Many (not all) of the anti private crowd: "They broke the rules." "Blizzard was within their rights.." and many other common sense things said.

Many (not all) pro private crowd: "Blizzard suxxors!" "I'm a special snowflake and demand attention!" *puts fingers in ears* "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post

The only way to convince blizzard - is by posting on forums.
    Or hiring Lizard Squad to attack them to the point it knocks all their servers off-line. Hard to get much sympathy for group that throws a tantrum

Not everyone has taken a diplomatic approach to the servers being shut down. Legendary troll group, Lizard Squad, has been paid to attack Blizzard’s game servers. However, they don’t explicitly say if it’s in response to the shut down of Nostalrius.
    Read more at http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/201...A084tBystgu.99

Read back in the thread for the the numerous posts where I discussed the high cost of doing legacy servers. I won't find them for you, you can go look for yourself, if you're going to be snotty, I'm not going to make any effort to help you. Do your own homework.
    Honestly the numbers seem high looking at 136k per day server upkeep cost back in 2009. That number is the cost for all the servers back in 2009 server costs have gone down including crz condensing the cost. Were talking a 150k active players recently from a private server most players that leave wow don't even know about private servers. If blizzard even put up 3 legacy servers capable of retaining that many players with today's pets and mount store its hard to see how they couldn't pull a profit. 150k is the active user base so were being modest here. That's 2,250,000 a month on subs plus possible mounts and pet sales per server. 136k a day when you look at how many servers there are and factor in the cost of one isn't that big a cost increase. Its hard to say exactly what the cost is now with crz but there's 226 US realms 5 Brazilian realm 3 Latin American realms 12 Oceanic Realms. Assuming they all cost the same and the numbers its really only 552 dollars a day per server. Heck there are even more servers out there when looking at china.

My numbers aren't perfect but its very very obvious this is not the impossible task you think it is money wise. Its not 136k per server per day do the math if that was ever the case blizzard would have lost all its money. It even adds upp nicely with other articles that there server cost over the first 4 years was 200 million and the made a very nice profit from wow despite those higher costs. There is nothing to actually suggest the servers costs in doing legacy wouldn't be profitable

Everything about legacy server in this freefall moment of blizzard is really very profitable. There is nothing to lose trying. Also they don't have to do it now I'm all for them doing there best to make legion great but not actually considering doing legacy servers after the success of Nostralius is foolish. At the very least when the wow story makes it end they should allow us to relive it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's highly amusing to see how salty and enraged some people here get over the fact that many people prefer Vanilla to today's WoW. It's like a hobby to angrily or condescendingly write up nasty posts about nostalgia, no return on investment, waste of dev time, etc. It's like it is personally offensive to them and they just really can't deal with it. Sad.

Exactly this.

The WOW fanbase is much bigger than the current subscribers - from what I can read here and WOW forums are happy with WoD and current WOW. But the many other WOW fans who no longer relate to current WOW also have a voice to be heard.

No reason why both current and old WOW fanbase can't live in peace - makes a bigger WOW
    You must be reading forums from an alternate universe, then; general consensus I see about current WoW (WoD specifically) is that it's awful.