Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Yeah right, that stuff was easy compared to the 3 tablets and the 33 whatevers. I probably wont even finish it, this is worse than the stupid ass cloak.. I hope to fucking god that this is the last treasure hunt LFR grind legendary they add, ffs make us do something challenging, not mind numbing.
    I think the last one I did I just did the first two zones in LFR each week. Took me a bit longer but meant I didn't want to stab someone afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I think the last one I did I just did the first two zones in LFR each week. Took me a bit longer but meant I didn't want to stab someone afterwards.
    I did what I could do, and tablets almost entirely off apexis and garrison shit. Absolutely disheartening after all that shit we still have more crap to collect, I didn't want to stab anyone either, but I wouldn't feel bad if they fell down a flight or two of stairs...

Catch-up mechanics are the bane of MMORPGs.

In TBC, my guild was doing Kara and then barely ZA when Wrath dropped ... and we didn't care that it wasn't cutting edge. It was fun and challenging and rewarding for our level. We can always go back and "see the content" in the next expansion if we weren't good enough or dedicated enough to see it when it's relevant.

Catch-up mechanics make old content useless quicker. And makes content droughts, like the last two we've had, way longer. People want more content but any content they are given they want to be able to see it and complete it in a week or two or they call for nerfs.

Deleted
    I wish there was a need to progress through previous raids first, it's good to have a natural progression, and if you really want an alt geared for raiding, it is easier than ever to boost someone in heroic/normal raids of the latest patch.

Having the previous tiers longer relevant means people will get less tired of content because they wouldn't be running the same raid on main and every alt, but they would have an alt progressing through another tier and another alt that would be progressing through another one. And i know, everyone wants to get to max gear as soon as possible, but MMO's have always been about the journey not the destination.

The current MMO generation just can't take their time anymore with content, it's quite sad. I love raiding too, and want to complete it as fast as possible, competition is a normal thing. But the measures some people go through to skip everything just to start end game raiding none stop is just... odd to me.
    Last edited by mmoc911be2cf14; 2016-04-13 at 08:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the solution should be a best of both worlds stance. You need to progress through raids, but there should be single-player content that requires best gear and skill (like a Proving Grounds or something) that rewards BoA tokens that can be redeemed for alts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagga24 View Post
    So if LFR means you get to see more content, then why have a catch up mechanism? that just means people are skipping other content created. If you let everyone catch up their alts, then you are essentially nerfing your starting zones. So by having catch up mechanisms you either nerf content, or mean people skip content either way you are inherently creating bad gameplay. Furthermore, by letting people catch up to the current content it means no one is doing the previous content. If say I want to run Heroic BRF because I'd like to do it no one else would be because "dude just go to tanaan" I don't want to grind mobs i'd like to play the MMORPG with other people and with mechanics. If i wanted to sit by myself and grind i'd play a korean mmo. I also think that some of the reason people want to over gear dungeons and stuff is because. if you can get to 705 in 10 hours, why would you take someone who is super fresh to max level and prolly boosted the toon? they probably have hardly any in depth knowledge of how to be effective compared to someone that actually played their toon. (that argument is shaky i know) Just my two cents though. wanted to see if anyone shared these thoughts.
    As you say, catchup mechanics Defeat themselves.... its like blizzard make good content and then want people to skip it after 2 or 3 months....

Catchup mechanics Destroys the very essence and longevity of WORLD OF WARCRAFT, to play a game it should take time, and if you want to do it with 24 Charaters... then that is your problem (if it gets booring) not blizzards.

LFR has only ever meant that Blizzard misunderstood or was in denial of what sent subscriptions south in Cataclysm.

With traditional catchup mechanics, you're running a variety of dungeons for badges, completing dailies for rep gear, fighting for control of the vault boss and fighting him for drops, PvPing for badge conversion (remember that?), and taking the current or adjacent tier raid a pug-nibble at a time. You're in the world, working toward a goal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Mostly because catch up mechanisms are there for alts or after the content has finished being relevant.
    Funny becouse content finished being relevant becouse ot catch up mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    LFR has only ever meant that Blizzard misunderstood or was in denial of what sent subscriptions south in Cataclysm.

With traditional catchup mechanics, you're running a variety of dungeons for badges, completing dailies for rep gear, fighting for control of the vault boss and fighting him for drops, PvPing for badge conversion (remember that?), and taking the current or adjacent tier raid a pug-nibble at a time. You're in the world, working toward a goal.
    Ya I remember doing badge coversion, so basically it's trying to get through the older content to catch by doing other content and taking a hit to get the other stuff.

Instead of having Tannan and stuff like that why not remove the raid lock-out requirement if you want people to catch up right now. I.e. Don't have people go to Tannan have people go to the different levels of HM and let them try to kill imp a few times to catch up. let them reset and go get more gear in the content instead of farming whatever they can actually raid to get their raid gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeMiner View Post
    Justice badges to get you out of heroics into the end of Kara counts as content skipping now? If you recollect people still do full clears anyway and were still running heroics too, I was one of them and I was S3 arena warrior first before I went back and cleared raids. In WotlK the ICC dungeons made all other tiers irrelevant and before that was the ToC dungeon. The poaching wasn't worse, it was just more visible because people stayed in tiers longer. Content longevity is such a flash in the pan the effect of poaching just doesn't sting long enough for people to notice.

The new system fixed nothing and made everything quite visibly worse as far as progression and content longevity is concerned.

- - - Updated - - -
    Um do you not remember in the last patch of TBC where arena gear was equal to if not better then most BT/Hyjal gear? and all it required was 10 games (not even wins) a week?
    Do you not remember with Badges you could buy BT/Hyjal quality gear from the Sunwell dailies hub? Also before that when ZA was released you could buy gear that was better then Gruul/Mag/Kara and there was sooooooooo many ways to get badges.

They did full clears of Kara because bosses dropped a bunch of Badges, which could be used to buy BT/Hyjal quality gear, I cleared all of Hyjal/BT without needing/getting a single item because my gear was good enough solely threw badges/arena
    Last edited by Raone; 2016-04-14 at 09:57 PM.

you should have to unlock it like the legendary questline and flying.

haven't done previous raids or zones or reps? no super fast skip to easy ilvl 7xx for you within 1 fucking week. i mean people will cry oh content is locked, but if you skip to that you're done within the month then unsub because you can't get easy upgrades anymore.

really what is the point? people will just take their easy ilvls then quit, you'll never keep them subbed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    Um do you not remember in the last patch of TBC where arena gear was equal to if not better then most BT/Hyjal gear? and all it required was 10 games (not even wins) a week?
    Do you not remember with Badges you could buy BT/Hyjal quality gear from the Sunwell dailies hub? Also before that when ZA was released you could buy gear that was better then Gruul/Mag/Kara and there was sooooooooo many ways to get badges.

They did full clears of Kara because bosses dropped a bunch of Badges, which could be used to buy BT/Hyjal quality gear, I cleared all of Hyjal/BT without needing/getting a single item because my gear was good enough solely threw badges/arena
    At least Kara was getting cleared. Who cares if it was for the loot or not? If there is such a thing as smart catch up mechanics, that would be it.

Its just nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeMiner View Post
    Badge gear was not Hyjal quality gear, many pieces of arena gear were gated by rating, you couldn't simply grind it out and even then you were missing hit rating when you did have it.
    I worded that incorrectly, the majority of PVP gear was better then Eye/Gruul/Mag/SSC and only took 10 games to get and was comparable to Hyjal/BT gear, the healing mace I got worked fine for the entire raid and I didn't need to replace it till Sunwell.

Badge gear was also better then Eye/Gruul/Mag/SSC and you only needed to do heroic dungeons to get them.

Badge gear and PVP gear allowed you to skip the entire first and 2nd tier of raids and go directly into Hyjal/BT.

Catchups have been here since TBC, my guild cleared Hyjal and most of BT before we did SCC/Eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    At least Kara was getting cleared. Who cares if it was for the loot or not? If there is such a thing as smart catch up mechanics, that would be it.
    I wasn't saying it wasn't nice to have I was just saying a lot of players did kara solely for badges not gear. You could however completely skip raids and just get badges from simply doing heroic dungeons. Like if you want more valor now you have to do LFR, people did Kara because they would run out of dungeons to do. Kara in a way was the LFR of today.
    Last edited by Raone; 2016-04-15 at 07:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    I wasn't saying it wasn't nice to have I was just saying a lot of players did kara solely for badges not gear. You could however completely skip raids and just get badges from simply doing heroic dungeons. Like if you want more valor now you have to do LFR, people did Kara because they would run out of dungeons to do. Kara in a way was the LFR of today.
    And that is pretty damned smart, it was a way to get better geared and further progressed players to run raids with newbies, teaching them raiding basics and getting them their first purples as they were just there for the badges. In a perfect world, LFR would just be replaced by easier raids like Kara, but that might just be too much to ask for.

I agree that content skip should be gone.