Poll: What was your favourive expansion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Vanilla fanboys, assemble! only 6 votes, where are all Nost fans?

I give Wrath a slight edge over TBC just because I had more friends playing it then. MoP would follow behind them a wee bit, then Cata would bring up the rear.

WoD isn't even worth of being called an expansion.

for me it's a close tie with Wrath and MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC for me. The community was still helpful and not as toxic, everything was "new" still, flying for the first time was amazing, and it was also the expansion when I started raiding seriously and met most of my WoW friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've always enjoyed the most any current expantion since WotLK so I've voted WoD. Had really a lot of fun this expantion and I find raiding to be in best place ever. But tbh, I like all expantions that came after TBC more or less equally. Each of them had some flaws but in general they all were a lot of fun and a huge improvement compared to everything that was before WotLK.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I give Wrath a slight edge over TBC just because I had more friends playing it then. MoP would follow behind them a wee bit, then Cata would bring up the rear.

WoD isn't even worth of being called an expansion.
    how about Calling it a filler PATCH ;P

TBC for me as a pvper, even tho arena was all warrior druid in 2s and warrior lock druid in 3s The world pvp and stuff was still great, and if I am not mistaken the whole mega realm thing wasn't in yet so there was a bit of renown for your servers better pvpers.

WoTLK for me as a raider. It was the first time I even tried raiding besides afk stealth following some huntard in Molten Core for DKP. Had a blast getting into it with easy mode Naxx, and stepped that up in Ulduar hard modes. The trial of the crusader was ok, but ICC was epic too (if not as perfect as ulduar in design, at least better for lore). I quit until cata around Ruby Sanctum

Well Vanilla is a 9 for me and TBC is a 10.
    So I would prefer a 2 out of 6 or 3 out of 6 multiple choice poll and I think it would also give a better spread for the same amount of voters.

I'm also always rather conflicted at voting Classic as an "expansion" since it's the original game.

TBC for me was most of the good parts from Classic with a much more mature client
    (better macro system, improved UI, proper support for focus and mouseover)
    The role system was also more mature:

- Classic we didn't really have a holy trinity.
    It was more like tank, healer, damage and support (all the specs that worked as buffbots, mana batteries etc)
    But the support role wasn't so well defined so for a big part of the playerbase it looked more like an unknown that was somewhere in-between.
    It also didn't work well in small group (1-5) content.
    - BC we had a more well-defined role system and a better class and spec spread among roles (more specs could effectively tank, healers and dps were more balanced but still fairly distinct and each with their niche, enough to make them feel special).
    You can argue that the game "lost" some diversity with abandoning the support role as a distinct role and instead splitting up and absorbing it into the other 3 roles,
    but it did make for very interesting group play dynamics.

It was also the golden age of small group content so in the balance sheets it will always come just a little ahead of vanilla for me.
    Last edited by Roadblock; 2016-04-14 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    MoP by far, tons of content for both solo and group players, amazingly presented story at max level (5.1-5.2 and the legendary questline which, outside of grinding, was way better than WoD's) only downside was that stupid fucking ending and the Pandaren turning into the world police.

Then I suppose TBC, flying, early lore was great (Blood knights pre 2.4 and the blood elves in general), raids were interesting, quests felt like they had worthwhile max level rewards behind them, quite a few dailies to do, classes improved vastly over vanilla, but still clunky. Some pieces of lore didn't make any sense at all (Kael'thas going crazy and everyone's desire to kill Illidan for...some reason, I don't think I ever figured out why they hated him).

After that it goes

Cata: Tol Barad (No clue why, but I enjoyed those dailies and the battleground was fun as hell) Firelands Dailies and Post-launch dungeons, especially the 4.3 ones, darkmoon faire revamp, old world revamp and most importantly, transmog. Major downside is the difficulty of dungeons at launch, horrible experience for a new player, especially as there were few other ways to get gear since rep was mostly tied to dungeons.

WotLK: Terrible questing, boring zones, ugly dungeons, Argent Tournament was a little over the top as far as dailies went but was still the best content in the whole of Wrath. There was very little to do outside of that unless you raided or pvped, dungeon finder was alright, but not too big a deal if i'm honest, lore was okay, but looking back it wasn't amazing outside of the lich king stuff, introduced heirlooms, which was great, death knights were introduced very well.

Vanilla: Loved the feeling of the quests and dungeons, but at times was a little too difficult and clunky, I can definitely see the charm of the RPG elements...but it wasn't THAT great. Raids were utterly lackluster, for a casual player it was hard to motivate yourself to do stuff after hitting 60 because it felt like you'd beaten the game, gear was too exclusive and quite a few things sucked if you didn't have any friends, I did love the darker mood of the game though, at least as far as lore went.

WoD: Stat squish, content cut at every corner, price hiked, only one major patch, terrible revamp of the daily system, garrisons were meh, lore sucked (Even if the presentation of it while levelling was better than any other expansion), Iron horde never felt threatening, the era of twitter lore began, only upsides were levelling, new character models and the heirloom tab.

MoP was my favorite. I personally loved the Asian theme & the world & many of the dungeons, raids, zones, and music was just beautiful. First experience with the thrill of challenge modes, first social guild I was in where a lot of people actually greeted me & talked/played together when I was on, first time players could actually work towards a world rare that dropped a mount (Alani) that was achievable through your own hard work & not simply being logged in to the game without actually playing it (mindless camping), first legendary I got when an expansion was current. Other things I enjoyed was the whole Sha & pandaren themes, the cloud serpent questline for flying (reminescent of BC Netherdrakes), beautiful gear. I could probably go on, but I'll stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungo View Post
    MoP has a weak story but Cata has good lore? LOL
    You're not responding with anything intelligent, so I guess I'm done here.

10+ Year Old Account
    End-Vanilla was my favorite era of the game, but Wrath is my favorite expansion, followed by BC and then Cataclysm. Mists would be the worst.

for PVE it was TBC
    for pvp it was wrath

but my favourite raid content was t11 (first cata)

Had to go with Vanilla (although not an expansion....), nothing can or will ever beat that as far as World of Warcraft goes. It just can't be done, given that I will never be that young age I was then again, and given that I will never again know so little about what I was getting into when I start playing a game as I did then. Had no clue what an MMORPG was or what to expect from WoW. Everything was so mysterious and epic as a result of that. Also, the level 1-60 experience was far larger in terms of quantity than any subsequent expansion, which also makes it hard for any expansion to top that. The end game was much more seemingly endless than that of any subsequent expansion, even the Burning Crusade (as by that point I was an expert at the game and was a ranking member of well-organized and long-since established guild), as there was always content in terms of raiding left to beat for me throughout the expansion, I didn't even have time to clear it all before the first expansion of the game hit and I had to abandon it (with the "it" being Naxxramas of which we only had time to clear a few bosses of). Unbeatable as far as the overall experience goes.

In terms of lore, though, Wrath of the Lich King is the standard-bearer. And in terms of PvE end-game gameplay it would be the Burning Crusade. In terms of PvP end-game it might be Mists of Pandaria for me, really enjoyed the shit out of PvP at the end of MoP - but I have a feeling Legion will top that so MoP, like Cataclysm, will be left without any prize.

Wrath is mine, it had the perfect balance of accessibility and exclusivity (Both of which are a positive thing for the game), It retained difficulty without being unreasonable, and in my opinion classes were the most fun during then. Really my only qualms were absurdly OP DKs for season 5/patch 3.0 (Though killing one was the most satisfying thing ever), and 5 mans were too easy.

If anyone cares, by "like" order is...

Wrath > Vanilla > BC >>> Cata > MoP >>>>> WoD

I really hope Legion fixes things, though my hopes are not very high at all.

Infractions: 2

Vanilla isn't an expansion so it shouldn't be on the list, but it will hold a special place with me as it was my 1st real MMO and the enjoyment i got from it can never be repeated from Blizzard. TBC was the best expansions tho, everything you had to earn and nothing was handed to you on a plate. TBC was more like Vanilla WoW which i loved

Wrath was good but started to go down hill with LFD etc, but the raids where fkn epic.

I think we all should just forget the Legion ever existed, and i hope Blizzard can too with the expansion after Legion and not have some shitty follower system etc from WoD. Just let WoD fast so we can all move on from that horrible memory.
    Last edited by Roar-Powah; 2016-04-14 at 10:19 PM.

After yet another one of these posts (how many in the last three months has it been?) I will ask the same question...

Why do a poll when you know people are just going to ignore it because limiting them to one choice is not good.

As for my list.

WoTLK 9.9/10 (there is no such thing as perfection)
    MoP 8.6/10
    TBC 8/10
    Vanilla 7.8/10 (because again its not an expansion, but there's always gonna be someone that says "Where's vanilla?")
    Cata 6/10
    And there isn't enough spaces on the internet for....WoD .1/10

And I really want to play right now on one of my alts, but I know i'll have to head to Dreanor as some point and I never want to look at that place every again. Realllllyyyyy hope Legion gets over to Beta soon, so we can do anything but dreanor!! ANYTHING!!!!
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Vanilla: Loved the feeling of the quests and dungeons, but at times was a little too difficult and clunky, I can definitely see the charm of the RPG elements...but it wasn't THAT great. Raids were utterly lackluster, for a casual player it was hard to motivate yourself to do stuff after hitting 60 because it felt like you'd beaten the game, gear was too exclusive and quite a few things sucked if you didn't have any friends, I did love the darker mood of the game though, at least as far as lore went.
    You felt like you beaten the game @ 60. This is the most bullshit thing I've ever heard, the game opened up at level 60 to a whole new world of Raids / Reps / PvP / 10/15 man dungeons. I still cannot understand which game you where playing since it was 100% not WoW Vanilla, or more so that Vanilla didn't hold anyone's hand and that is why you didn't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    You felt like you beaten the game @ 60. This is the most bullshit thing I've ever heard, the game opened up at level 60 to a whole new world of Raids / Reps / PvP / 10/15 man dungeons. I still cannot understand which game you where playing since it was 100% not WoW Vanilla, or more so that Vanilla didn't hold anyone's hand and that is why you didn't like it.
    Maybe it was burn out, but once I hit 60 I didn't really see what else to do, gear felt way too high up for me to get and I was kinda stumped. It felt like I'd already beaten the game to the best of my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Its a fact that interest in WoW grew by 6 million subs during that expansion. Hmm... what facts do you have?

None.
    lol shut up.