Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was rarely punished with physical violence. The only times I was hit was if I actually intentionally physically hurt someone else, or I it was a matter of safety I didn't listen to (Telling a 3 year old to stay out of the road is difficult, so my mother smacked me and I got the picture).

Infractions: 2

Their children are up at the crack of dawn, well before they are. Plus they are only in the 3rd and 5th grades. The school calls and asks where the kids are if they aren't in class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    You're just projecting your personal attitude onto all other parents as if it's some given that non-parents don't understand.

It's the rationalization of a person with anger and resentment issues. You were beaten as a child, so you're paying it forward because it's "necessary" when the "stubborn little shit [...] refuses to listen," but you have a rationalization for why you're really just doing what is right and necessary.

And before you ask, yes, I have two kids of my own.
    I have zero anger or resentment issues against my parents. I'm glad I got my ass busted when I deserved it. I was never beaten so don't put words in my mouth.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilrathos View Post
    I'm glad I got my ass busted when I deserved it. I was never beaten so don't put words in my mouth.
    Does this level of cognitive dissonance make your head hurt?

Keep on telling yourself whatever you want. Try not to take too much of it out on the kids.

Deleted
    You're just projecting your personal attitude onto all other parents as if it's some given that non-parents don't understand.

It's the rationalization of a person with anger and resentment issues. You were beaten as a child, so you're paying it forward because it's "necessary" when the "stubborn little shit [...] refuses to listen," but you have a rationalization for why you're really just doing what is right and necessary.

And before you ask, yes, I have two kids of my own.
    maybe hear the experts before you let your ass speak , abusive parents didnt get much discipline as kids (most of the time) . your stubborns will be very bad and mean with your grandchildren haha

Does this level of cognitive dissonance make your head hurt?

Keep on telling yourself whatever you want. Try not to take too much of it out on the kids.
    There is a whole lot of difference between having your ass busted and a beating. I never had marks left, no bruising, or any of that. What is so hard to understand about that?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is a whole lot of difference between having your ass busted and a beating. I never had marks left, no bruising, or any of that. What is so hard to understand about that?
    My mistake, then. Getting your "ass busted" generally means getting the crap beat out of you, not a spanking.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    maybe hear the experts before you let your ass speak , abusive parents didnt get much discipline as kids (most of the time) . your stubborns will be very bad and mean with your grandchildren haha
    While Kaeth and I might not agree on how to discipline our children I believe we can agree that nothing you say makes sense and I don't think it is a language barrier.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mistake, then. Getting your "ass busted" generally means getting the crap beat out of you, not a spanking.
    In some circles, busting up an ass means something entirely different.

My apologies. I'm too used to speaking to people around here where the generalities of words or phrases are a bit off from other places. I need to get out of Georgia.

Or you know, the child is a stubborn little shit and refuses to listen no matter how many times and different ways you explained why something is right or wrong. If you don't have children of your own as of yet you will learn real fast once you do that everything you thought you would or wouldn't do goes out the window. I always said I wouldn't spank my kids because I got my ass whooped as a kid but low and behold I do when the situation calls for it. I, like your dad, am a Marine but I don't believe in mass punishment. I don't discipline all of my kids for what one did.
    Maybe I am just super lucky and have found a way to teach them and resolve issues without them acting out and me acting a fool.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Georgia still has segregated proms.
    I'll be perfectly honest this should probably be the priority in that case...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Physical violence suggests a lack of creativity when it comes to discipline. They don't hit in the Military any more and I wouldn't say discipline has declined, though I can only speak for my country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    absurd. as a healthy sin'dorei my parents beat the draenei out of me at a very young age.
    What the hell is wrong with you .. just what.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thought this was about the country at first and got confused, forgot the USA had a state called Georgia too lol.

Shouldn't be done by anyone other than a parent.

That said you whiny punks saying it mentally damages a kid, it may have mentally damaged you and your pathetic emotional state but the rest of us turned out just fine.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't make them stuck in the past at all. Brats these days need to get smacked and you can't gently make them learn manners or else they won't come out right, schools should be able to paddle students.
    Last edited by want my Slimjim; 2016-04-15 at 10:01 AM.

Deleted
    Although I'm against corporal punishment in general, not all people have the patience to raise a child without some impactful, yet low risk physical form of punishment, or knowledge of other ways of raising their children, yet these parents haven't really got a choice. I'd rather some children grew up with a smacked bum than as a spoiled brat, or a foster child. It can be done without creating a violent monster as so many people prove by being functioning members of society.

That said, teachers are the people who should absolutely have knowledge of other ways of dealing with it, for educated professionals there's really no reason.

I see nothing wrong with it, step in where the parents wont

I've received corporal punishment, the assistant principal smacked my butt. On the playground I threw a rock at a kid and hit him in the face, I forgot why I was mad at the kid. I was 6 I think.

I stopped throwing rocks.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland