Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    "Blizzard couldn't let them hurt their brand !"
    Fact.

when you see how Blizzard manages to do it by themselves
    Opinion.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjam View Post
    I guess that hosting a server for about 14k members causes a lot of traffic and also they needed Gamemasters that helped the people playing on that server.
    Personally i hate the thought that Blizzard is closing privateservers just because a lot of people want to play THEIR game but in an other stat than it is on the live servers. In my opinion they should´ve take Nostralius as an clue that theire´re enough people willing to play their old content as it was.
    Why is it that this topic daily brings people with a post count of 1-5?

Could it be alts? :P

Quote Originally Posted by hnlntm View Post
    They took donations to help pay for the server, it has be said that if Blizz didn't shut them down, it was likly they would have shutdown anyway because they couldn't afford to run the server.
    I don't think is accurate, they were not only working on a TBC server but they were hiring up too for more "devs"

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Why is it that this topic daily brings people with a post count of 1-5?

Could it be alts? :P
    I find it amusing they use the same tired arguments that have been said the past 800 pages. They know better than Blizz. Blizz needs to make those classic realms happen! *eyeroll

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjam View Post
    I guess that hosting a server for about 14k members causes a lot of traffic and also they needed Gamemasters that helped the people playing on that server.
    Personally i hate the thought that Blizzard is closing privateservers just because a lot of people want to play THEIR game but in an other stat than it is on the live servers. In my opinion they should´ve take Nostralius as an clue that theire´re enough people willing to play their old content as it was.
    But then the argument is that people won't pay for a sub if legacy servers are made. Fun fact though, most people who played vanilla are now older and have a stable enough job to allow them to pay for something that costs $15 a month and will. Anyone who played on Nostalrius wants that again, it was something I hadn't felt in years playing on there.

With that said, I'll admit BC is better than Vanilla and I hit 60 on Nostalrius and I saw the flaws of the game but the overall core of the game is still solid. The grind to get pre-raid gear is no joke, arguably harder than raiding 5 days a week.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Byronorpheus View Post
    The easy solutions are

1) Let private servers do what they want because they aren't selling that anymore.
    2) Make legacy servers so the people that liked your old product can buy it from you.

Anything else is half assed and, while obviously legal, pretty much a stupid/dick move.
    Actually the only sane thing to do from a business PoV is to shut down anyone that steals from you, regardless of what the fuck they are doing with it. If you steal from the rich and give everything to the poor, you're still going to jail if you're caught. Of course they can't chase every private server with 300 players on them, but they HAVE TO shut down the major ones. If they can, obviously. What you call dick move is actually "protecting their business".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    I don't think is accurate, they were not only working on a TBC server but they were hiring up too for more "devs"
    Volunteers, nobody was ever paid.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    But then the argument is that people won't pay for a sub if legacy servers are made. Fun fact though, most people who played vanilla are now older and have a stable enough job to allow them to pay for something that costs $15 a month and will. Anyone who played on Nostalrius wants that again, it was something I hadn't felt in years playing on there.

With that said, I'll admit BC is better than Vanilla and I hit 60 on Nostalrius and I saw the flaws of the game but the overall core of the game is still solid. The grind to get pre-raid gear is no joke, arguably harder than raiding 5 days a week.
    The grinding of gear in dungeons and crafting isn't harder than raiding 5 days a week on heroic/mythic content in WoD or even past expansions. Even you said yourself that Burning Crusade was better, had much harder dungeons/raids and the grind wasn't easy.

And just because some Vanilla players could afford both does not mean they would. Besides the fact that most former Vanilla players are likely long gone and don't have time for games period. Keep in mind WoW has lost something like 95 million players over the past 10+ years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Actually the only sane thing to do from a business PoV is to shut down anyone that steals from you, regardless of what the fuck they are doing with it. If you steal from the rich and give everything to the poor, you're still going to jail if you're caught. Of course they can't chase every private server with 300 players on them, but they HAVE TO shut down the major ones. If they can, obviously. What you call dick move is actually "protecting their business".
    I think a lot of us get that but the point of all this was proof that there is a market for it and Blizzard ignores that. It didn't take Jontron for me to realize that I can go and play any old game like Banjo Kazooie, pop the cartridge in and play it. I can't do that with older iterations of WoW and that fucking sucks so yes call me a fucking criminal for wanting to play an older video game that is basically impossible to get nowadays. Some of you defend Blizzard for shit so hard on here and that's cool, Blizzard was a great a company that made revolutionary games.

But come on, if I want to play Vanilla WoW why the fuck can't I? The best thing about all this, it's a grey area. Blizzard can threaten to sue these private servers like Nostalrius (great scripting btw on the server) and even if they're wrong nobody will take the risk to challenge them because it will cost a shit ton of money in legal fees and nobody knows the outcome. So basically it's not even fair, Blizzard could technically be in the wrong here but nobody can challenge the corporate titan they are.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Basically. The ex-WoW players amount to 20 times (probably 25 now) the size of the current-WoW players.
    Current WoW players: ~ 5 million players.
    Estimated vanilla-tbc players by Akka: 100-125 million players.

Sure man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    The grinding of gear in dungeons and crafting isn't harder than raiding 5 days a week on heroic/mythic content in WoD or even past expansions. Even you said yourself that Burning Crusade was better, had much harder dungeons/raids and the grind wasn't easy.

And just because some Vanilla players could afford both does not mean they would. Besides the fact that most former Vanilla players are likely long gone and don't have time for games period. Keep in mind WoW has lost something like 95 million players over the past 10+ years.
    Mate once you've ran UBRS 30+ times in a week to get the Dal'rend swords for your rogue, you start to question your existence. Most people I talked to on Nostalrius agreed pre-raid was harder to do because you aren't locked out of stuff like Dire Maul (technically you can only do 5 five mans an hour) so you in essence had all the time in the world whereas raids are locked out to one per week. It's harder because you actually have no excuse not to be grinding 24/7 so the people that do get ahead faster, there is no gating with getting pre-raid gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarlol View Post
    Current WoW players: ~ 5 million players.
    Estimated vanilla-tbc players by Akka: 100-125 million players.

Sure man.
    It's lower than 5 million, lets be real. Blizzard just isn't releasing the numbers anymore.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    It's lower than 5 million, lets be real. Blizzard just isn't releasing the numbers anymore.
    I am real, last time they were around 5.5 million before they stopped with the reports.

But let's play it your way, ok, let's assume they are down to 4million. Akka estimation is still around 80-100 million vanilla-tbc players.
    That's not being real. Is actually being delusional.

Mate once you've ran UBRS 30+ times in a week to get the Dal'rend swords for your rogue, you start to question your existence. Most people I talked to on Nostalrius agreed pre-raid was harder to do because you aren't locked out of stuff like Dire Maul (technically you can only do 5 five mans an hour) so you in essence had all the time in the world whereas raids are locked out to one per week. It's harder because you actually have no excuse not to be grinding 24/7 so the people that do get ahead faster, there is no gating with getting pre-raid gear.
    Considering my main was a rogue until I switched to druid I was running UBRS/Molten Core(Garr)/Onyxia trying to get a sword to drop period. I questioned my existence enough times that I went druid when I got so tired of not seeing a weapon. I had the same issue in Everquest trying to get daggers that I had enough of it.

I ran dungeons enough to gear up my druid in full UBRS/Dire Maul/Scholo/Strat gear, I was fully pre-raid geared so I know the time investment. Did not mean it was more difficult however. It was pretty easy dungeons for the most part. The difficulty in TBC heroics wasn't even in the same ballpark as plenty of people on my realm couldn't even run some of the heroics because the amount of cordination/CC/being not-shit required.

It is all opinion really but it is why I say if Blizz was to consider classic realms, why would they do Vanilla over ones like WotLK? That was the more popular expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarlol View Post
    I am real, last time they were around 5.5 million before they stopped with the reports.

But let's play it your way, ok, let's assume they are down to 4million. Akka estimation is still around 80-100 million vanilla-tbc players.
    That's not being real. Is actually being delusional.
    I think Akka means that 80+ million people have left the game since Vanilla was a thing. Think that number is closer to 100 million. So people left in Vanilla, in TBC, in WotLK and so on.

Volunteers, nobody was ever paid.
    That was their language, not mine. Was on their front page within the last week

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering my main was a rogue until I switched to druid I was running UBRS/Molten Core(Garr)/Onyxia trying to get a sword to drop period. I questioned my existence enough times that I went druid when I got so tired of not seeing a weapon. I had the same issue in Everquest trying to get daggers that I had enough of it.

I ran dungeons enough to gear up my druid in full UBRS/Dire Maul/Scholo/Strat gear, I was fully pre-raid geared so I know the time investment. Did not mean it was more difficult however. It was pretty easy dungeons for the most part. The difficulty in TBC heroics wasn't even in the same ballpark as plenty of people on my realm couldn't even run some of the heroics because the amount of cordination/CC/being not-shit required.

It is all opinion really but it is why I say if Blizz was to consider classic realms, why would they do Vanilla over ones like WotLK? That was the more popular expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Akka means that 80+ million people have left the game since Vanilla was a thing. Think that number is closer to 100 million. So people left in Vanilla, in TBC, in WotLK and so on.
    Oh I'm all for BC over Vanilla all day, Vanilla has glaring flaws that in my honest opinion BC fixes.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Oh I'm all for BC over Vanilla all day, Vanilla has glaring flaws that in my honest opinion BC fixes.
    I think BC had pretty much the exact same problems as vanilla.

2/3 specs didnt have a raid set

2/3 specs wherent good enough to raid or even had a thought out rotation

It fixed questing basicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    From what? This conversation has been had a thousand times in this thread. Even if every private server magically up and disappeared, a pretty solid majority of those players aren't going back to live, because we fucking hate it. There is no business to protect because there is no business based around selling the product/experience that we want to buy.

They can choose to sell that product. They have very adamantly stated that they will not. So all they're really doing is throwing money down a pit that is having fuck all effect on the "problem" that they have.

Side note, I'm going to start reading this thread tomorrow, and every time I read someone over-dramatically calling PS pirate "thief" or "pirate", I'ma drink. Seems like a delightful way to get shithoused.
    Last edited by Byronorpheus; 2016-04-15 at 07:55 AM.

Yeah no argument here, if Blizz was to ever do classic realms I'd be more interested in TBC/WotLK than I would ever be Vanilla. Not that I'd likely stick with either one very long but it really depends on if any of my friends would ever come back to WoW and play it. It is why I question it being a viable long term thing for Blizzard, how many people would REALLY stick with it long enough to make the money worth investing into the project.

- - - Updated - - -

I think BC had pretty much the exact same problems as vanilla.

2/3 specs didnt have a raid set

2/3 specs wherent good enough to raid or even had a thought out rotation

It fixed questing basicly.
    What do you mean? I mean this is Tier6 I'm linking all 3 of the druid specs had a set, hunters of course at that time didn't NEED 3 different sets.

I do agree that some of the specs didn't have thought out rotations (some were too easy like shadowbolt spamming) but the amount of specs you could bring was pretty damn good. I don't remember ever saying "Hey you can't raid because you play X" and I did nearly all the content in TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Byronorpheus View Post
    From what? This conversation has been had a thousand times in this thread. Even if every private server magically up and disappeared, a pretty solid majority of those players aren't going back to live, because we fucking hate it. There is no business to protect because there is no business based around selling the product/experience that we want to buy.

They can choose to sell that product. They have very adamantly stated that they will not. So all they're really doing is throwing money down a pit that is having fuck all effect on the "problem" that they have.

Side note, I'm going to start reading this thread tomorrow, and every time I read someone over-dramatically calling PS servers "thief" or "pirate", I'ma drink. Seems like a delightful way to get shithoused.
    They have to protect their IP, that is why he called it 'protecting their business'. You have to try and protect your IP or you could risk losing it. If Blizzard did nothing EVER and just let any and all private realms go, what is to stop them from having a free running version on the current patches. Hey because Blizzard does nothing it MUST be okay. In that hypothetical situation, who would pay for WoW if free servers NEVER had a risk of shutting down.

Deleted
    Yeah no argument here, if Blizz was to ever do classic realms I'd be more interested in TBC/WotLK than I would ever be Vanilla. Not that I'd likely stick with either one very long but it really depends on if any of my friends would ever come back to WoW and play it. It is why I question it being a viable long term thing for Blizzard, how many people would REALLY stick with it long enough to make the money worth investing into the project.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean? I mean this is Tier6 I'm linking all 3 of the druid specs had a set, hunters of course at that time didn't NEED 3 different sets.

I do agree that some of the specs didn't have thought out rotations (some were too easy like shadowbolt spamming) but the amount of specs you could bring was pretty damn good. I don't remember ever saying "Hey you can't raid because you play X" and I did nearly all the content in TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

They have to protect their IP, that is why he called it 'protecting their business'. You have to try and protect your IP or you could risk losing it. If Blizzard did nothing EVER and just let any and all private realms go, what is to stop them from having a free running version on the current patches. Hey because Blizzard does nothing it MUST be okay. In that hypothetical situation, who would pay for WoW if free servers NEVER had a risk of shutting down.
    There where problems with a lot of specs like feral druids bleeds and so on. A lot of specs where simply to bad comapred to the 3-4 specs that dominated dps.

There where problems with a lot of specs like feral druids bleeds and so on. A lot of specs where simply to bad comapred to the 3-4 specs that dominated dps.
    I agree that it wasn't perfect. It was more balanced than Vanilla at least. It is why I'm leery of retro realms because so many classes weren't balanced very well. I mean look at Nost with the huge amount of warriors for an example.