Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    yes i am well aware of this lol. i used to work as a DB admin and have/had my SQL certs so i know a thing or two about databases. i was just trying to sarcastically point out that he was saying it was impossible to do something that they are going to be doing lol. it would be the same type of flag as your talking about in your example. item #xxxx, yes or no.
    And they're going to have that... once the wardrobe is released.

They aren't tracking non-quest items yet, so storing crates in stacks of 20 is easier than storing the items they contain.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    yes i am well aware of this lol. i used to work as a DB admin and have/had my SQL certs so i know a thing or two about databases. i was just trying to sarcastically point out that he was saying it was impossible to do something that they are going to be doing lol. it would be the same type of flag as your talking about in your example. item #xxxx, yes or no.
    We are not talking about quests here. You mentioned EVERY ITEM EVER DROPPED. Also Accounts does not equal characters. Also they would have to be tracking that since 2004 for US, 2005 for EU. I sincerely doubt they were caching that info somewhere all those years. Especially with new items added in each expansion. So even your thought/speculation was ridiculous.

With the new system they are going to be tracking APPEARANCES. They will store ONE appearance of a multitude of items with it. Not the whole bunch of items dropped since 2004-2005. Vastly less space.

Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    ~12kB for 10,000,000 accounts? (Let's say there are 100,000 items. That's a roughly 12kB bit string.)

You don't think Blizzard has 120GB of storage somewhere?
    They could do it, if nothing else since they are about to shows they can. Now there would be no reason now to track every item a toon has ever touched now though. Being able to is one thing, needing or wanting to is another.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

if you pay attention to the news, you'll know ahead of time whether or not they will be removed before it goes live, so hold onto them for now and then if they are staying, pop them once legion goes live or do it before if they are nerfed. Simple

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They could do it, if nothing else since they are about to shows they can. Now there would be no reason now to track every item a toon has ever touched now though. Being able to is one thing, needing or wanting to is another.
    "Ever touched"? No, the system will apply only to bound items. It's easy to keep track of every item that a character (or account) is bound to, going forward, as well as all past quest rewards (because all quest completion is tracked). There are audit logs that might go back 30-90 days or perhaps even longer. The "undelete" feature requires some of that.

But it's no harder to keep track of every item that a character has ever touched.

"Ever touched"? No, the system will apply only to bound items. It's easy to keep track of every item that a character (or account) is bound to, going forward, as well as all past quest rewards (because all quest completion is tracked). There are audit logs that might go back 30-90 days or perhaps even longer. The "undelete" feature requires some of that.

But it's no harder to keep track of every item that a character has ever touched.
    I am not saying it is hard to do, it isn't in place now and they aren't going to patch it in all by itself for kicks prior to the pre legion patch.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I am not saying it is hard to do, it isn't in place now and they aren't going to patch it in all by itself for kicks prior to the pre legion patch.
    We don't actually know what is in place now. However, "we" probably underestimate Blizzard's ability to construct a history of soulbound items. They could have been collecting that data through all of WoD and even MoP, for example, anticipating that a "wardrobe" system was coming, or just generally wanting to have that data available for some unspecified future use.

I've personally waffled on this one, but I think given the fact that they HAVE been fairly open about the garrison changes that they've made, I'm comfortable for now holding them in inventory until Legion. Or until they announce some major change where it makes more sense to open them immediately.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

We don't actually know what is in place now. However, "we" probably underestimate Blizzard's ability to construct a history of soulbound items. They could have been collecting that data through all of WoD and even MoP, for example, anticipating that a "wardrobe" system was coming, or just generally wanting to have that data available for some unspecified future use.
    Unlikely, though. They'd have told us about that already. On the other hand, you'll probably not find more than 1 worthwile item in 20 boxes anyway, so keeping them stacked up doesn't really do much.

You can open them, vendor follower items, rings/trinkets/necks and duplicates sell materials, and group 12 items and mail them to on of your alts, this way you can open boxes, sell useful stuff and still keep gear "grouped".
    I was opening about 1500 crates when I started to encounter more and more duplicates, where in 60 items i've received i got 10 new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    But what about a quest that for example rewards 4 chest pieces (one for each armor type)? Would that only unlock the version that's wearable by the character that completed the quest? Say I did that quest on my warrior, would my mage have access to the cloth version?
    The latest talk on that suggests not.
    The original statement on that was incomplete, as it missed out the relevance of the proficiency.
    Any "relevant" items that the quest rewarded will be unlocked, when completed on a given character.
    if you want to unlock the plate rewards from a quest, do it again with a plate-wearer.
    Not really any different from what you must do now actually.
    If you want to use a BoP quest reward for transmog you must get it on that character.
    The primary difference is most items will then be available to other characters of the same proficiency instead of having to repeat it on every single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    I've personally waffled on this one, but I think given the fact that they HAVE been fairly open about the garrison changes that they've made, I'm comfortable for now holding them in inventory until Legion. Or until they announce some major change where it makes more sense to open them immediately.
    What I recall so far is that gold missions will be rewarding garrison resources instead of gold.
    And that the legendary questline initially planned for removal could remain intact for the story, but obviously would not be rewarding the legendary ring any longer.

I have seen no information yet on what will happen to salvaging.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-04-14 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the whole spirit of making Garrisons unprofitable, so people will continue to Legion, i speculate the amount and/or quality of items in the salvage yard boxes will be altered in the pre-patch event. Since loot is created when a container is opened, i also speculate that any salvage crate obtained before the pre-patch will also produce the new content, if opened after. I'd open them all before the prepatch, send all items with mail to an alt and open the mail after the prepatch launch, so to obtain the skins of the items from crates.

7+ Year Old Account
    "In addition, you may now discover player items in Salvage." has been removed from the Salvage Yard tooltip.

I don't think we'll be getting any sort of weapons/armor anymore once the pre-patch hits. If this is true and not just a tooltip error/bug, then it looks like people who are hoarding crates will have to open them up before the pre-patch/xpac and stock them if they want to keep all of the appearances in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothex View Post
    "In addition, you may now discover player items in Salvage." has been removed from the Salvage Yard tooltip.

I don't think we'll be getting any sort of weapons/armor anymore once the pre-patch hits. If this is true and not just a tooltip error/bug, then it looks like people who are hoarding crates will have to open them up before the pre-patch/xpac and stock them if they want to keep all of the appearances in Legion.
    I really don't believe they will fuck us up like that. But then again, anything is possible..

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post

That makes sense--I mean, just because they're tinkering with the alpha version doesn't mean there wont be a little advanced warning before the pre-patch is suddenly sprung on us, especially since it wont even be a factor for months.

Since we're discussing transmog stuff anyway, I think this is a good time for a PSA. Theres a blue-quality world drop cape from Cata mobs called "Ritssyn's Ruminous Drape." that has a chance of coming from salvage crates. In the 'wild' it has a very low drop rate, and a pretty unique color/design that is red/orangy gold and very luxurious and royal looking. according to comments about it, back in the day it used to sell for 20k on the ah because it was a pretty good intel cloak. I managed to find a copy for my transmog for just like 800g, and a few days later another appeared on the AH.

My point is, unless you're comfortable with paying Far out the ass for it when it becomes ultra rare again, or love grinding cata mobs, I Really suggest if you find it, you hang onto one of those suckers. Link for convenience so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=67131/ri...ruminous-drape

(and dont miss one of the craziest things about it is that the mob with the highest drop rate (4%) is POSIEDUS. Yes, the one people never see lol)
    Last edited by Asotcha; 2016-04-15 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zmuci View Post
    I really don't believe they will fuck us up like that. But then again, anything is possible..

Better start believing.

It's not worth saving crates. Just make a bank toon to hang onto any blue or purple BOEs and vendor all the green junk.

step 1 : save boxes
    step 2 : wait till pre-patch hits PTR
    step 3 : check PTR and see what changed
    step 4 : profit

Now is the time to start saving the full set of 610 blues for each class, for transmog purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothex View Post

Better start believing.
    Fuck me sideways...