Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Sounds an awful lot like Chechnya when said out loud, not sure why they would even want to be thrown into that conversation.
    Most languages appear to refer to that republic in the Caucasus as Chechenia, so easier to say than "Chechnya" which seems to also be the Russian name. Funny what a little "e" can do to ease pronounciation

Edit: the Chechens themselves call it Nohchiin Respublika :O fascinating!
    Last edited by Faenskap; 2016-04-15 at 09:25 AM.

We are already naming it that way in my country. Spelled very differently but yeah, it sounds the same

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Werent the boston marathon bombers chechens?. I don't like Chechnya.
    and the Oklahoma City bomber were American, so I'm guessing you don't like America either?
    That made me lol :P

For reference though neither of them were Chechnyan, the older one was Russian and the young one was born in Kyrgyzstan (IIRC from reading about it at the time the family moved there before the fall of the USSR and after couldn't afford to move back), it was their father who was Chechnyan.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's already called Tschechien in German. That republic addon made it sound like it's not independant. Bohemia-Moravia (Böhmen-Mähren) was the name used during the time of the Holy Roman Empire. People living in those regions are still aware of it. They use these names only the same way Germans declare themselves either of Prussian or non-Prussian background, so it's mostly ethnic and regional but not expressing national identity.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    It's already called Tschechien in German.
    Before which it was called "ours" (sorry, had to :P).

Deleted
    "Land of the hot girls"

The spelling of Czech is not English, and sounds really strange in English.

I'm voting for Czehotgirlsanddrugsia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    I always thought Czech Republic or just Czech was at odds with most country names. Good decision.
    Not really. French Republic, Swiss Confederation, Russian Federation, etc. Lots of nations have names like that, we just don't call them that often.

what about "Germany"

SNAP
    They could get owned by Austria again too.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Not really. French Republic, Swiss Confederation, Russian Federation, etc. Lots of nations have names like that, we just don't call them that often.
    Indeed, most countries with big names are usually referred to by a shorter name such as Mexico and China (United Mexican States, People's Republic of China) or an abbreviation like UK/USA.

Those consonants are impossible for us to pronounce, so we call them csehek (CHE-HEK)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    How about Bohemia?
    Because Bohemia is name for only one of historical region of Czech republic (others are Moravia and Silesia), so it doesnt represent whole country. Personally, i dont like Czechia and most Czech ppl dont like it either. Just few ppl in gov think it is top priority, so we can talk about that and not about real problems caused by gov.
    Last edited by Sakki; 2016-04-15 at 10:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Why not, if it helps the country brand itself.

No real different I guess from "The United States of America" just slapping "America" on things.
    With the minor distinction that 'America' is retarded - as America refers to both continents, and even just for the north, Canada and Mexico are not in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakki View Post
    Because Bohemia is name for only one of region of Czech republic (others are Moravia and Silesia), so it doesnt represent whole country. Personally, i dont like Czechia and most Czech ppl dont like it either. Just few ppl in gov think it is top priority, so we can talk about that and not about real problems caused by gov.
    Yeah, but those lands were all under the kingdom of Bohemia back before Austria annexed them. At one time Bohemia did represent all of the current land of the nation.

Deleted
    Well, to be honest, I prefer calling it "République tchèque" over "Tchéquie", i'm too used to it and the latter sounds ugly to me even though french people occasionally use it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Most important of all, what is Romania's opinion on how they conduct their business?
    We already call it Cehia actually.

Deleted
    Middle Earth tbh.

Deleted
    Oh come on, you had the chance to call your nation "the republic"! Leave it to the government of a nation to not grab the opportunity to print money

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Middle Earth tbh.
    that's New Zealand

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    that's New Zealand
    Lies, that's upside down earth.