Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Why do PC gamers make charts like this?

Hey guys,

I love PCs and consoles very much. I also believe people should play whatever platform they want. Today I came across this revolting image that is misleading. Here's why I hate this image

http://imgur.com/jJYnvdH

Cost of Online Features:

The guy says the cost of online is $180 for 3 years or $60 a year. A very select few people pay that amount. On groupon you can find a year subscription for $40.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-12-...d-membership-1

The Cost of the System:

The guy is right about the price but the console also comes with a free AAA title depending where you get it from.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-1TB-C...0677247&sr=1-5

Cost of Games:

Games are $60 on release for PC and consoles. Console games also go on sale just like PC games. I don't know anyone who pays full price for console games

The guy who made this chart is misleading people into thinking console gaming is expensive, it's not. Just let people play what they want.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys,

I love PCs and consoles very much. I also believe people should play whatever platform they want. Today I came across this revolting image that is misleading. Here's why I hate this image

http://imgur.com/jJYnvdH

Cost of Online Features:

The guy says the cost of online is $180 for 3 years or $60 a year. A very select few people pay that amount. On groupon you can find a year subscription for $40.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-12-...d-membership-1

The Cost of the System:

The guy is right about the price but the console also comes with a free AAA title depending where you get it from.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-1TB-C...0677247&sr=1-5

Cost of Games:

Games are $60 on release for PC and consoles. Console games also go on sale just like PC games. I don't know anyone who pays full price for console games

The guy who made this chart is misleading people into thinking console gaming is expensive, it's not. Just let people play what they want.

So because this chart uses the MSRP for the cost with regards to the features listed, the creator is lying?

You are right, people should play what they want to play, but needing to use groupon to save some money to be able to play online is still bullshit. Outside of your ISP bill, you don't have to pay to play PC games online, or Wii (U). My question (and I am a PC gamer) Why in the hell do PS4 and XBONE players not revolt over the online costs? some PC games have subscriptions, but that's the deal with those type of games, and there are f2p options as well.

If I buy Doom 4 when it releases (and I damn well am), then it doesn't cost me anything extra to play multiplayer with my friends. Why is it OK for Sony and MSFT to charge you? Seems silly to me.

All-in-all, it's an attempt to get people to think it costs the same to be a PC gamer as a console gamer. It's apples to oranges, as you can pick and choose what you want your PC to have, but a console is plug it in, update it for a few hours, then you are good to go.

As for games, depending on the time of year consoles sales beat out PC sales. I've seen Fallout 4 on sale for consoles for $40 during the holidays, yet the PC stayed at $60, but several other times through out the year I'll see PC games on sale for crazy prices where the console version is full price.

The graphics isn't complete bullshit, but it's obviously biased.

There are issues I have with consoles (I personally prefer mouse and keyboard), but I'm not going to hate on someone because they play a console. Though I will say I'm a proud member of the PC master race when someone asks me what I play...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I could throw a shoe out of my window and hit a more reliable source than noxxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    But Tennisace I want you to provide a solution. You're our only hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite honestly you aren't going to find a lot of rational answers here, see example above.

The reasoning in general is a 'superiority complex'. It's like born again christians, but for PCs. They want to be right regardless.
    It's easier to twist (or fabricate usually) anything to fit their own agenda, reasonable or not.

Personally, I say play the games you want on whatever you want. There's no real rational reason to be so attached to a platform to that extent. Have fun playing the games you want, don't give a shit about this dick waving contest.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-04-15 at 01:08 AM.

Remilia pretty much had that spot on. People really need to stop caring about what other people play.

PC gamers refuse to accept that console gamers still exist, and that there are good reasons to play on consoles (though I and many PC gamers choose not to). What they DO believe is that showing a bunch of charts and spitting out terms like "FPS" and "resolution", they may convince some 20 year CoD player that he should stomp on his PS4 and buy a PC.

In a nutshell: just ignore people like that, because they are nothing but elitists. They usually even hate other PC gamers, and are the same people who argue about nVidia vs AMD to no end.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Deleted
    I use my PS4 mostly when I have friends over, PC for when we're all at home. Or sometimes just PS4 if they don't have a PC.
    Both are cool, but in the end if I had to choose I would take my PC. Because I can do more with it, open up some tabs while gaming to search for new builds for example.

PS4 is still pretty fun to play though when you hang with some friends on the couch while playing rocket league or stuff like that.

But we shouldn't pretend that this is only happening with PC vs console, this is with most stuff in life. Most people aren't really subjective and will prefer what they have themselves, which is logical because that is probably the reason they bought it in the first place.

Long story short, I like both. Both are better in different situations and for different typesof gamers.

But I don't really agree on the price though. Lets say that in the end both systems cost nearly as much while consoles are slightly cheaper lets say 90% of the price of a PC.
    The initial cost of a PC is far greater then that of any console. Sure games might be slightly more expensive for a console but that is over the course of several months. Most people simply can't afford to pump that kind of money into a gaming rig and end up buying a console. At least I think that this is where the main difference is.

For one, most people don't shop those deals. I know quite a few console gamers and most of them, stupidly I might add, buy their stuff new from Game Stop, so yeah, they do end up paying those prices and yeah, there are plenty of games that only play at 720p where I can play them at 1080p on my PC and if I had a better PC could play them at 1440p or 4k. Just plain can't do that on current consoles.

However, what he leaves out of his argument is the cost of the PC. PC gaming is hands down more expensive. You get your console for $300-400. If you add what he says you spend a year on for XBox Live or PSN or whatever other console nonsense is there and that adds up to a max of $680. That's enough to build a pretty low end gaming rig, but most of the time, if you can, you really want to spend closer to $1000 for a good rig that will blow consoles out of the water. In addition, let's look at the time in between when the PS3 and PS4 were released. 7 years. A PC would likely have needed an upgrade at some point in time during all that, making the cost even more. Of course, the PS4 costs too, but really, in 7 years, most people I know would have upgraded their PCs twice, or at least be getting ready to again. When you have Video Cards out there that can cost more than a console, well, consoles are definitely cheaper.

The price of games is really irrelevant because PC games cost just as much and both have sales. Console gaming does have a used market for games though, so consoles actually get a slight edge in cost there.

In addition, PCs have other additional costs. Peripherals for one. Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers/Headset, things you don't need on a Console. Then there are monitors. One could say well you need a TV for your console but most people already have a TV. Add all that up and that's easily another $200-400 depending on how fancy you want to get. Then you need a desk. Your TV that you likely already own likely already has a stand and you probably already have a couch/some chairs. So add in the cost of a desk and a computer chair as well.

Then the other thing console gaming has going for it is simplicity. Pretty much anyone can and has no problem just hooking it up to their TV. While building a PC is pretty easy too, many people are intimidated by the process. Even buying a pre-built or getting a custom builder to do it, there are a lot of options that can be intimidating to many. Then, PCs can have other major issues that need to be fixed that consoles just don't have.

So yeah, the guy is an idiot. PC gaming is definitely more expensive in the long run. It's also has more customization though and can make games look better. In addition, Mouse/Keyboard is a superior style of play and even though you can do this on consoles, it's just not as comfortable as at a desk.

Another part of it is, I think PC gamers know this. They know they spend more. So they have to justify it to themselves and put others who do things differently down. Pretty normal human reaction to defend your purchases.

console games are often cheaper than pc games as they age or right away if the game was not well received or if the game was just incredibly short with too little replay value. Used copies start floating around in large quantities and in good condition hardly used.

At the end of my console games. I bought games Used only for 5 - 20 bucks for games that ofc when released were 59.99 + tax. All of them worked fine. I sold all my xbox 360 games for 5-35 each depending on the game. All were in perfect condition with the instruction booklet included which is a big deal for some used game retailers. Some individuals not associated with a game store scored my copies of Games that just released not six months past for half the price + shipping an were thrilled. Most of my games were purchased in Bulk by game stores however. Games worth 5-10 bucks I bundled together in packs of 4 if it was selling for more on ebay I would sell it by itself.

I sold all my Original Xbox games total 40 for 100 dollars. Most of them were worthless individually.

Gamestop will charge you less than 5 dollars for some 5 year + old games. Steam for that same old game that wont work properly on a modern PC will sell that game for 9.99-19.99 when it is not on sale.

When I was new to steam i thought it was the holy grail library for games. I now realize thats not true. Steam boasts thousands of titles. many are old and dont work or Indie with a duration of 2 hours or less or extremely poorly made.

If you could hit a filter that whitewashed out every game that was not a major release steam would say only a few hundred games exist. I outright deny there is "so much or too much to choose from"
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2016-04-15 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moslin View Post
    Gamestop will charge you less than 5 dollars for some 5 year + old games. Steam for that same old game that wont work properly on a modern PC will sell that game for 9.99-19.99 when it is not on sale.
    For older games I think GOG is better. Not only is it often cheaper, but it's DRM free.

Just let people play what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Personally, I say play the games you want on whatever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    People really need to stop caring about what other people play.
    Meanwhile, the infographic only went so far as to say "Try PC gaming". You guys need to get over yourselves.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I sure know at least one part of that is right... the online fee... No way in hell am I going to pay a monthly fee to play any game online when those same games don't require a fee on PC.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy playing first person shooter games or games like skyrim on the console with a game pad instead of a mouse and keyboard.

I play racing games and madden on my computer with a game controller but I hate first or third person games with game controllers.

Deleted
    We want to actually use our PC and not just half of it.
    It's a fact that the consoles slow down the graphic development with them only ever getting better hardware every decade.

That's the reason why we argue against consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can enjoy playing first person shooter games or games like skyrim on the console with a game pad instead of a mouse and keyboard.

I play racing games and madden on my computer with a game controller but I hate first or third person games with game controllers.
    I played The Last of Us on console (no other choice really), felt like I was playing with two left hands while drunk.

Cost of Games:

just throwing it in, consider that getting pc games for free is considerably easier.

also ew compare ds3 footage on ps4 to a max graphics pc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetharl View Post
    Meanwhile, the infographic only went so far as to say "Try PC gaming". You guys need to get over yourselves.
    Get over what? I've seen these things and more way too often. It's propaganda essentially. I don't see what's wrong with people playing what they want without some person telling them that it's wrong. While this one is more mild, it's still dumb and pointless. There are various things on PC that can be an issue that aren't mentioned, conflicting software, driver, hardware, etc are all possibilities. There's pros and cons to each and that's the reality of it. Pick your poison.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-04-16 at 02:32 AM.

Im just going to leave this here. Kinda NSFW (language).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMsGl_XxTk
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

oooh boy, you are just going to HATE me.

I'm the BEST type of gamer.
    I have a job with enough disposable income to enjoy my hobby anyway I like.
    I have gaming PC that I keep refreshed to the cost/performance sweet spot every 18 months.
    I gravitate to this because most of the games I like to play are on PC, and if they are cross platform I prefer the generally superior PC version unless its an increasingly annoying botched console port. Also Steam and Steam Sales are awesome.

I have a Wii U because Splatoon looked interesting and I wanted to play Windwaker HD
    I have a Xbone because I don't know why. It has seen even less use than my 360s which probably has less than 20 hours powered on time.
    My latest purchase is a PS4 so I could play HD versions of their exclusives like the Uncharted series and TLOU. Those handful of games are worth the cost of entry alone.

But I'll spend most of my time on my PC because its a better gaming experience and I can even stream my multi platform game from my PC to my TV and play it from my couch; just like a console but better in every possible way.

I don't say this to brag, because frankly this is nothing compared to the money my peers would spend in a drunken 7 days in Bali, or performance part for their tricked out Subaru, or a new motorcycle, or a massive TV.

PC master race is just people trolling angsty teens living out their lives in a single console household with Love of the common people as their soundtrack.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the point. The point is that it costs a fee to play games online. Something that PC gamers never heard of.

Games are $60 on release for PC and consoles. Console games also go on sale just like PC games.
    This is true, but due to how the market works on PC, you will on average find more sales for PC games than on consoles. Steam, GoG, and etc are all fighting to get you to buy and download a game. Xbox or PS4 has only one online store to buy games from. More competition means more sales.
    I don't know anyone who pays full price for console games
    That's not a way to support your argument.
    Technically yes and no. It depends. Right now a cheap console is hard to beat with PC. Both PS4 and XB1 are now $300-$350 and come with a free game nowadays. If you want an equivalent or better PC, you need at least $500 to buy one. Slightly cheaper if you build it.

If you never intend to play online and get your games used, then console gaming will be cheaper. But if you build your own PC, and just download free games like TF2 or DOTA2, then PC gaming is cheaper. PC gaming requires a much higher investment, but will be cheaper in the long run. Console gaming is cheaper at first, but more expensive as time goes on. But if you want a better experience compared to console, then you're looking at $700+.

As far as console hardware being predictable, just wait for the PS4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's not the point. The point is that it costs a fee to play games online. Something that PC gamers never heard of.
    A couple years ago I would have agreed with you, but a lot of games that you can play online these days have paid DLC, while not mandatory to play you are kind of left behind if you don't get all the extra maps and stuff, makes a 50-60$ game 30-50$ more expensive. This also makes games makers release games with the bare minimum of content so they can charge more afterwards for what should have been in at launch (see the new SW:battlefront for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    This is true, but due to how the market works on PC, you will on average find more sales for PC games than on consoles. Steam, GoG, and etc are all fighting to get you to buy and download a game. Xbox or PS4 has only one online store to buy games from. More competition means more sales.
    Except console games have a used market. By the time a PC game goes on sale, a console game will have plenty in the used market. Not exactly sales, but same thing really. Unless you consider the fact that you can pirate PC games, which is getting harder with things like denuvo out there. I think Just Cause 3 still has not been cracked nor has Rise of the Tomb Raider.

You won't find a lot of rational answers here, see quote for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Quite honestly you aren't going to find a lot of rational answers here, see example above.

The reasoning in general is a 'superiority complex'. It's like born again christians, but for PCs. They want to be right regardless.
    It's easier to twist (or fabricate usually) anything to fit their own agenda, reasonable or not.

Personally, I say play the games you want on whatever you want. There's no real rational reason to be so attached to a platform to that extent. Have fun playing the games you want, don't give a shit about this dick waving contest.
    Quantum Break is an perfect example why some PC only gamers hate console gamers.

btw, the graph is right.

"Wait for it to go on sale"

"buy used"

"use croupon to save 20 cents a month"

the fuck is wrong with you guys?
    Last edited by Karon; 2016-04-16 at 06:05 PM.