Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone I know who quit just went cold turkey. The only physical act required to not smoke is "not smoke," so I guess focusing on that to the exclusion of all else works? Maybe?

Try lollipops if all else fails. Oral fixation and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think quitting with just willpower will do it harder for you. (I'm not saying you can't, tho)
    First you have to think I you really REALLY want to quit. Like, forever. If you still have doubts, it's gonna be impossible.
    If you take it as a sacrifice, that's what's going to feel. That's how you're gonna still craving them sometimes.
    I believe the first step is to think quietly about the reasons you want to quit, and the benefits you're going to receive for every day without smoking.
    Don't take it as a restriction, but a liberation.

First time I quitted it wasn't even hard for me. I was so convinced, that even working around smokers everyday didn't feel like I was missing something.
    But then, after a lot of time, in a very stressful moment on my life, I tried one.. and disaster.
    Now I'm fighting again to quit, but somehow it feels harder.

The Allen Carr book is something I can recommend. I found it on-line, and it gives you very good point about the psicology behind smoking.

Also, replacing cigars with gum/food/whatever, doesn't make the craving go away. It only makes it longer.
    Last edited by Hawthorne Wipes; 2016-04-15 at 04:04 PM.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Try lollipops if all else fails. Oral fixation and all that.
    Seems like a quick way to get some serious tooth problems. But then again smoking is also terrible for your overall mouth health so lesser of two evils I guess.

i switched to vaping for a month
    <insert witty signature here>

I never started so I never had to quit. Try acupuncture. If you get a good acupuncturist, you can do three sessions of acupuncture and that will severely cut your urge to smoke. You still have to actually quit though, but it helps.

Just think about the absurdity of putting something on fire in your mouth

I remember quitting smokes. Body went through hell getting cold shivers and I wasn't as hardcore a smoker as yourself. I only smoked about a pack every 2 days. I used nicotine patches and it did help a bit. E-cigs might help. Ironically I played tons of wow and kept my mind occupied as well.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ecigs @24mg initially. Still had to have a morning cig for like a week or so, because I just couldn't get enough nicotine to wake up. I hit the point where I didn't need them and just used the Ecig. I still use it, albeit at 3mg or 0mg, depending on the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is how my granddad quit. It will sound like a fantasy story, but it is truth. His wife one day said, "How about this: I'll try to lift your barbell 200 times. If I succeed, you give up smoking forever". He laughed, "Well, OK. No way you can do it". But my grandmother was quite strong and sporty. She started lifting it... She got to 70 or so times and started fainting. The granddad says, "OK, stop, that's enough". She keeps doing it, looking worse and worse. He gets really scared and starts yelling, "Okay, just stop. I'll give up smoking, you win". He kept to his word.

Ironically though, he died of alcoholism... I guess, it is not as much about harmful habits, as it is about mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    Smoking cigarettes? I have tried everything, the prescription medication(I had horrible side effects). The gum, the patch, a vapor pen with a box mod with 38mg juice. Nothing seems to get me off my marlboro reds. I have the desire to quit. But its just so fracking hard. And I turn into some kind of monster about 12 hours into not smoking. What worked for you guys? I'm at 2 1/2 packs a day and I'm only 22 been smoking for 7 years. I don't want to lose any digests or have any major health issues.
    Cold turkey. Coming up on 8 years of smoke free and still crave the fucking things. You will crave them for the rest of your life, so either master yourself or die of some smoking related disease.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

7+ Year Old Account
    I used to smoke since I was 16, sometimes more, sometimes less including two major breaks due to non-smoking boyfriends. But even with those two breaks I eventually relapsed a couple of months later, simply because I wasn't around the boyfriends in question at the time. I was basically doing it for them, which, at that time, was actually a poor motivator.
    Even when I was getting really poor, could barely keep myself fed, I still couldn't quit, in fact, I think that time made it even worse.
    Once I had work and money I smoked even more, mostly due to smoke breaks at work where the entire (small) office went together and also because of University, where I always had these perfect 5-minute break between lectures and walking from one building to the next was perfect for that one cig. However, I eventually became too greedy, and tried to at least cut it down. Just don't do those 5-min walk cigs, don't do the 'walk to train' cig.
    Met and started dating a guy who was really into healthy food, being a goody-goody person, doing sports, you get the drill. He did never even once ask if I even planned on quitting, but just having his positive and healthy outlook on life around so often made me start to reconsider.
    I got sick (where I never smoked) just before a major holiday, which I wanted to spend with my family (where I never smoked either, due to little brother, bad role model, etc.). Circumstances alone made me take a break of roughly three weeks and by then it was New Year's and I was like "I could sell it as some sort of New Year's resolution".

As for how I can stay off...I still love and enjoy the smell of a fresh cigarette being smoked. I never avoided the smokers and still inhale deeply when they smoke my favorite brand (I guess you could argue that I still smoke passively on occasion, which is, unfortunately, on point.)
    Drinking/Partying without smoking is still hard, but as someone pointed out, you need to learn to deny yourself. I keep my half-empty pack in a drawer next to my desk; there is something incredibly empowering and rewarding in saying 'No' when the possibility to be weak is litterally just one motion away. (I'd simply have to stretch my arm to reach said drawer.)
    Other than that...I did try sweets, those hard candy ones. (Never been fond of chewing gums, don't like the constant chewing, nor the minty taste of most) on those short walks and breaks I mentioned.

What it boils down to: Find your own reason to quit. It doesn't matter if it's taste, money or health. Don't do it because someone else wants you to, or might think better of you. It's your choice, your body.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    Smoking cigarettes? I have tried everything, the prescription medication(I had horrible side effects). The gum, the patch, a vapor pen with a box mod with 38mg juice. Nothing seems to get me off my marlboro reds. I have the desire to quit. But its just so fracking hard. And I turn into some kind of monster about 12 hours into not smoking. What worked for you guys? I'm at 2 1/2 packs a day and I'm only 22 been smoking for 7 years. I don't want to lose any digests or have any major health issues.
    I quit smoking at 29, started at 12 and Im going on 32 now by vaping. Before I quit I was smoking 2 packs a day on average, 3-4 packs if I was drinking and I smoked Newports 100's. My suggestion to you is go with a 100w variable sub ohm mod with an atlantis tank, .05 ohm atlantis coils. Your gonna want something that can last you all day, Istick eleafs, Foxxvape, any Jellyfish mod will suffice and are pretty lenient on your wallet. I'm suggesting this to you after spending close to 2 grand on mods. You won't outgrow any of these mods and the variable wattage and airflow designs will continue to produce bountiful vape plumes that feel like real smoke. The closer you can get to the real thing through vaping, the better chance of success you will have.

As far as E-Juice goes I recommend https://www.texasselectvapor.com. They have great tasting vape at the lowest prices I have seen on the internet for pre-made ready to go e-juice. An average 30 mil premium bottle usually goes for around 20-25$, you can buy 130 mil bottle for 50$ here. I recommend vape the rainbow, sweet tarts, and both the juicy watermelon and watermelon bubblegum. Some of the best tasting vape you can buy. My advice is to go with lower nicotine juice here, 3.8 is way to high. The withdrawal symptoms you are having don't come from a lack of nicotine but other additives in cigarettes. It took me about 2-3 days to detox from whatever chemical cocktail was specifically responsible. Once you hit the 3rd day of non smoking though, you get this incredible wave of energy, almost like a natural high that will last from a day to a week. Mine lasted around 4 days but other users reported up to a week.

Get rid of all your smoking paraphernalia, ashtrays, lighters, matchs, anything. Get rid of it. When you try this time around, start on your weekend, and smoke your last cigarette on your friday night before bed. Sleep in as much as you can Saturday, this will put you a good 8-12 hours into that 48-72 hour withdrawal period. It is important that you DO NOT drink alcohol, soda, or coffee during this time. Drink juice, decaffeinated soda, tea, whatever. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol. Buy a shit ton of games on steam, ps4, whatever, keep yourself extremely busy as long as you can and make sure you use your vape mod. If your having trouble sleeping take some shots of tylenol pm and swig it down with some sleepy time chamomile tea.

Combined with the right mod, the right juice, at the right settings and 72 hours of staying smoke free you will break your addiction to cigarettes permanently. The crazy impulse to go smoke will be gone and you can even smoke a cigarette after this period and the symptoms will not return. Your taste will start returning, so will your sense of smell. Smoking a cigarette at this point will be no different then vaping for you. You won't get a head rush from smoking a cigarette, there is no discernible difference. You will have broken the chemical, psychological, and physical addiction components to cigarettes. You will still get cravings to smoke or vape, but the craving is miles apart in intensity with how it would have been with cigarettes. If you can maintain vaping for 6 months, smoke free, start to reduce your nic levels from 1.8, to 1.4, to 1.2, to .08 to .04 to .02. I'd suggest a 3 month interval on each reduction. In a year and a half you will have completely rid yourself of nicotine from your system and done so with absolutely zero side effects. At this point, if you ever get a craving to smoke, keep some nicotine free ejuice and your mod charged. There will be some lasting psychological cravings but so long as you vape nic free, you break the reward system that comes with that behavior and eventually the craving to vape will dissipate all together.

I've gotten around 12 people to quit smoking via this method, including my mother who is a die hard alcoholic. Personally, I enjoyed smoking, I didn't enjoy the negative side effects. I still vape to this today, but I am nicotine free.

If you need some help on finding the right mods, equipment, etc, feel free to PM me
    Last edited by Stacyrect; 2016-04-15 at 06:30 PM.

Deleted
    Cold Turkey is the only way.

Patches, gum, etc. will only replace the nicotine addiction with another distributor.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Cold Turkey is the only way.

Patches, gum, etc. will only replace the nicotine addiction with another distributor.
    It's not nicotine that makes cigarettes addictive to the point people can't quit

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just stopped smoking
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Consider me boring, but never started

So much knowledge on how utterly horrible smoking is for your body, yet people still do it.

Might as well take a few dollars and light them on fire. Complete waste of money.
    I didn't either, nothing seemed appealing about it, it stunk and it made you cough, sign me up

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I didn't either, nothing seemed appealing about it, it stunk and it made you cough, sign me up
    And turns you lungs into charcoal.

Yup, really worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    And turns you lungs into charcoal.

Yup, really worth it.
    But you look cool as fuck when you do it Bucky