Deleted

Any Game WITHOUT Transmog/Costume System?

I'm looking for an MMO, pretty much ANY at the moment which doesn't use a transmog or costume system. I much prefer seeing other players in awesome looking gear, and trying to get hold of it myself instead of realising they only bought it from the cash shop or transmogged it.

I like to look at other players' gear and get a rough idea of how powerful their character is just by looking at them, which isn't the case in a lot of games today. GW2, BDO, TSW, WoW etc all have this system. When I used to play WoW (before they had the transmog system) you could always spot powerful players by looking at their gear, but nowadays even a level 1 can look like an endgame raiding character.

Are there any MMOs at all out there which are like this, so I'm not fooled into thinking somebody has really great gear just because they bought it from the cash shop? The more recently released, the better but it really doesn't matter too much. It can be F2P, B2P or sub based, I don't mind.

Thanks guys.

A level 1 cannot look like an endgame raiding character in the majority of these systems. An endgame raiding character can look like a level 1, though.

As for games that don't allow players to actually keep the look of gear they liked instead of the new attrocious nightmare-of-the-month.... I'm not sure there are any out there. I think locking people out of looking how they want their character to look is a dead design in this day and age.

I can't help you, but I remember the days of upgrading your shoulders first because you didn't want to look undergeared.

Dark Age of Camelot and EQ1? I'm struggling to think of any others that don't have some form of appearance change system by now...I mean, TSW technically counts since your clothes, outside of weapons, are purely cosmetic and statted gear isn't visible.

Seems to be a really trivial reason to join one MMO and disregard another, but ah well. Couldn't name any myself - as stated before, it seems that the era of Xmog is upon us all.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW - newest looks aka the most prestigious, still require you to clear content.

GW2 - The most prestigious skins require hard work via achievements, collections/scavenger like hunts, or merit. Tradable skins that are prestigious are worth their prestigious value in gold so even if you bought it you had to hustle somewhere else in the game. Being able to throw good outfits together, doesn't matter if you use beginner gear or BiS, is part of the prestige in GW2.

SWTOR - I only know old SWTOR but kind of a mix between WoW and GW2.

BDO - Armor variations are minimal unless you're dropping $20-$30 on cash shop skins. So I guess you look reflects real life prestige.

I personally don't care what others look like as long as I'm able to make my own character look how I want them to.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

FFXI to my knowledge when I left never implemented a transmog system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does DCU use costumes? Been years since I've played it.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Tryuk View Post
    Does DCU use costumes? Been years since I've played it.
    If you mean DCUO, yes. Though like just about every superhero game (so...Champions Online and CoH [RIP]), costumes are a core system of the game separate from gear itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV doesn't even let you unlock the Glamor system until you reach the orignal level cap. It's expensive has heck to use if you're not a crafter as you need items made by other players of varying rank each time you want to glamor something.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    FFXIV doesn't even let you unlock the Glamor system until you reach the orignal level cap. It's expensive has heck to use if you're not a crafter as you need items made by other players of varying rank each time you want to glamor something.
    The glamour crystals aren't really that expensive.

It's an obnoxious system, but not expensive...