Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    It's actually rather funny to me that Blizzard shits on your nostalgia losers. Grow up and move on.
    If your the opposite of the ''nostalgia losers'', I'd rather be a nostalgia loser any time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Oh sure. Then when I go on their website, I get:
    And then when I go on their membership page, one-month membership is 9,99$ US. Yep, the very incarnation of free!
    http://www.runescape.com/members_ben...ia&jptv=navbar -> scroll down. You wanna keep your claim still?
    runescape IS free. and hey you can even pay for membership with gold!
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2016-04-15 at 09:02 PM. Reason: my spellings

It's actually rather funny to me that Blizzard shits on your nostalgia losers. Grow up and move on.
    What a grown-up thing to say.

Nostalgia was the first thing that got me to Nostalrius. The sense of a community is why I stayed and got me hooked to a 10 year old game again.
    Last edited by Blackcoffin; 2016-04-15 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    http://www.runescape.com/members_ben...ia&jptv=navbar -> scroll down. You wanna keep your claim still?
    With that logic, WoW is free too, up to level 20.

Get out and come back once you've started growing hair on your balls. No way am i going to believe something so stupid came from an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Oh sure. Then when I go on their website, I get:

And then when I go on their membership page, one-month membership is 9,99$ US. Yep, the very incarnation of free!

http://www.runescape.com/classicapplet/playclassic.ws
    nost players don't use logic, everything is free in their eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Ok, I don't think you thought this one through. Let me help you.

1. Runescape AS IS is free to play yet still offer subscription with in-game advantages (some rather strong ones at that, that can go as far as nerfing the in-game graphics, I know I tried the game recently). IE: Current Runescape. Legacy Runescape? Nope, not even close. 10$/months or no go.

2. Those nice little things that you can pay with golds have to be paid by someone else first. It's the equivalent of Wow tokens.

Common buddy, do you even try?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Compelling argument. Good points to consider. I like the way you used logic to explain your thought process. Your intelligence is admirable.

(Don't be so toxic. It's quite unnecessary.)

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You brought it up in the first quote. And in the second quote you demonstrate convincingly that it's pointless.

The other issue with anyone licensing vanilla WoW from Blizzard and it's actually a show-stopper is that no one is going to pay for a license and do the work with dozens of other "free" vanilla servers out there. It's a pointless idea. Even what I wrote about Morhaime doing a public RFP for this is a pointless idea for this very reason.

The way it will work is the way it's always worked. People will continue to do servers, shitty and otherwise. Blizzard will close down the ones they choose to and life will go on.

EDIT: There's also pretty convincing evidence in this thread that if Blizzard did get into bed with someone to do legacy servers people would know. For one thing, Blizzard would probably tell them since they would be benefiting in the deal. People would know. Oh yes they would.
    Blizzard would only license the game in one way: using their own assets. The faked scripting that illegal servers will never - repeat never - be used for anything even remotely sanctioned by Blizzard. The very idea is ludicrous. You don't use something like that for a commercial product, for a host of reasons. It's just common sense.

The only way Blizzard could or will license their IP is exactly how they do with whoever runs the Asian version of WOW - Blizzard's assets, blizzard's infrastructure, Blizzard's trademark stamped all over it. Years of lawyers hammering out the contracts, and NDAs signed at every level.

There is no way Blizzard will license their trade secret, multi-million dollar server technology to people who have been infringing their copyright. First, that's as good as making their proprietary server technology freeware and not very secret anymore, and second, its sets a dangerous and precarious precedent. "I don't like Overwatch 2.3.1 - I demand you license 1.0 to me!"

It's just not happening.

The only way you will see legacy servers is through Blizzard, using their own code and systems. Anything else is unicorn stuffed pipe dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In his $3million bus?

ROFL I had forgotten about the bus. Laugh of the day awarded to Pann, for those that are familiar with the issue.

If you AREN'T familiar with 'the bus' you really should read up, its better than a NYT bestseller novel. More original plot too.

This is the last guy you want on your side. I actually agreed with his 'we killed a genre' short article some years ago but having an opinion i tend to agree with has zero correlation with this guys business and management savvy.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2016-04-15 at 09:45 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    So, he supports it. Blizzard themselves said that they've discussed the matter internally, and there's support for it internally. It's not surprising, nor something under debate - the ones who's opinions count said no, for reasons other than "I think it should happen."

But I'm sure this will be worth another couple hundred pages here, lol. And just when I thought the thread has died out, too. Better stock up on some popcorn!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slaise1 View Post
    It's ignorant to judge the code even before to have seen it. Much of the discussion going against legacy servers have been the development costs. Well, here you get, (just to throw out a random high number) 90% of the work for free. If Blizzard had seen the possibilities instead of the obstacles they would not have been in this position.
    You don't need to see the code. The Blizzard servers are mini-networks running custom software and hardware across several blades. The illegal server was not.

Blizzard will never use the faked illegal servers for a commercial product. It's simply not happening. Besides, Blizzard uses stiff like Oracle, and most of it would have to be rewritten to work on their tech - su why flush millions down the drain to rework shitty faking it code, when they have the assets to do it for real?

It's common sense, it's not even a debate. It's wishful thinking on your part to even think there's a point to Blizzard even looking at what they used, for shits and giggles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhai...ty/c/434305499

Even a former developer from their company is telling everyone that Nost players arent the enemy, they are just people who love the game. The belittlement and attacking across the internet over players just loving a video game is so disproportionate.

If anything its good to see a former dev believe in their old product enough to make a statement like this.
    Who at Blizz thinks they're the enemy? It's just financially not worth it, why is this so hard for people to get?

https://www.change.org/p/mike-morhai...ty/c/434305499

Even a former developer from their company is telling everyone that Nost players arent the enemy, they are just people who love the game. The belittlement and attacking across the internet over players just loving a video game is so disproportionate.

If anything its good to see a former dev believe in their old product enough to make a statement like this.
    So now Blizzard is saying no to legacy servers, because you're the enemy.

Gotcha. New meme. Just as naive and childish as the rest.

I looked at the number there's no reasoning in the costs that they couldn't support the servers and profit. Other then its a difficult undertaking, game developer pride, and I'll agree they need to focus on legion for now but there's no real excuse why it can't be done eventually. Saying everyone who want its is going "I think it should happen", as if having a thought relating to clear demand is crazy. The logic against is lazy and people here against it have shown themselves to be very toxic with nothing to add to conversation but I think your a loser. Really productive and charming group of people I see are left playing WoD.

Seriously wheres the creative direction among you that actually want WoW to do well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or he is a down-on-his-luck developer that hasn't been very successful for a decade and sees a way to get back into the spotlight for a while. Could be either or both. His suggestions about what Blizzard should do wouldn't make me want to hire him back though.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I find it funny how the shock numbers of "800k" or even "900k!! want Classic servers!" are being thrown around, yet that petition barely scrapes 105k signs, no doubt a good chunk being made up of the same people signing it several times (going by how internet petitions work).

I also wonder if the best approach is to have the bootleggers do the speaking for those wanting classic servers in Blizzard's hands...

There are no "multiple" versions of WoW. There is only one, current version of their product, which includes all the previous changes and expansions.

Your Word 97 license doesn't give you Word 2003 or 2010, but any Vanilla CD key is still valid for the entire game today.

There is no reason to emulate a particular version of the same product, and it is just a piracy.

So quick to personally attack a developer that helped create no doubt, one of your favourite games, you dont know what hes doing, you know nothing about him, but of course because hes not on your side, you've decided to defame him as nothing more than getting 5 minutes of fame.

This is exactly the bile im talking about, everyone taking personal offence to someone, and I cant stress this enough:
    I've taken nothing personal, and demonizing me by making that up doesn't change a thing. You're the one who's responding with angry words.

I also didn't say a single negative word about the developer, andI certainly didn't defame him. At all.

If your'e going to try and discuss this, I'd highly recommend you stop attacking people and actually address the issue honestly. Lies don't solve anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt say Blizzard Im more referring to the bile that spews from forums like these. And the situtation changes daily, who says it wont be financially viable after this event? Who knows, you dont base your opinions on old news.
    I find the idea that any of this being news to them to be a silly notion. Blizzard has massively more resources than anyone here does and I'm pretty sure if it was viable, they'd know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh damn by that logic we could have expected classic servers years ago! Oh wait...where are they? Ooops.
    Well at least it's logic supported by fact - if they can integrate old games which are basically not sold anymore and have no subscription, it means it doesn't cost that much. It hints at the decisions not being so much about actual technical difficulties and more about organisational ones (and probably a lot of PR and strategic ones too).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slaise1 View Post
    Personally I played there for 6 months and encountered 4 bugs. I wont call that bad, but who am I to judge? The biggest problem was the high population as it slowed down the game at peak times. You had to pick your time during the day to play .
    Honestly, if you play on a PS and you encounter only 4 bugs, it just means you're blind.
    And I say that as someone who support PS.
    People just don't pay attention