gotta build another new pc...

so my wife's computer is dying so means one of us get a new pc and im paying so its me and she gets the i3 i just built last summer.

my dilemma is i have $900 or less to build it

so i was looking at mobo/cpu combos and my choices in my price range are either a I5-6600K or AMD FX-8320 my question is which is better for gaming mostly wow and hots and some video editing?

10+ Year Old Account
    6600K for both? But to be honest if you can wait a little longer then maybe, just maybe, AMD can pull something with Zen and you'll have more real options.

And to be fair even the 6600K is a waste in a lot of cases, most games won't ever care about the difference between it and a 6500. WoW is an example that the OC actually matters but it's not exactly gamebraking. And since you do video editing maybe we could find a Xeon-E3 solution for you.

"A little longer"? Zen hasn't even had a release time frame mentioned. Be lucky if they ship it before next year.

Stay away from AMD's CPUs right now. Theyre junk.

If you can wait a little longer (no, really) - say until June - i'd recommend holding off and getting a new Pascal/Polaris card.

If you have to build now, this is a basic build that you can expand upon/alter. Add an SSD if you like, etc.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/th6wNG
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/th6wNG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($30.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($328.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $855.30
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 01:53 EDT-0400

Deleted
    Op is in Canada i think, so i guess he needs something picked together in CaD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($293.25 @ Vuugo)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.99 @ DirectCanada)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($50.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.25 @ shopRBC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ NCIX)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($84.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $889.42
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 02:12 EDT-0400

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    "A little longer"? Zen hasn't even had a release time frame mentioned. Be lucky if they ship it before next year.

If you can wait a little longer (no, really) - say until June - i'd recommend holding off and getting a new Pascal/Polaris card.
    Mm, Zen ain't coming till late 2016. So not a little longer

What comes to Pascal and Polaris, I'd definately wait.. if not to buy, just see what happens. Just from little bits of information we know AMD has 7 different cards in their pipeline.. So it's likely they will replace their whole line of products with Polaris 10 and 11.

From Nvidia side you probably won't see anything cheap to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Mm, Zen ain't coming till late 2016. So not a little longer

What comes to Pascal and Polaris, I'd definately wait.. if not to buy, just see what happens. Just from little bits of information we know AMD has 7 different cards in their pipeline.. So it's likely they will replace their whole line of products with Polaris 10 and 11.

From Nvidia side you probably won't see anything cheap to begin with.
    AMD has 2 card coming out this year, maybe 7 in the coming years but I would not wait for those see here https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...-Two-GPUs-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    AMD has 2 card coming out this year, maybe 7 in the coming years but I would not wait for those see here https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...-Two-GPUs-2016
    Yes 2 new GPU architectures Polaris 10 and 11.. The title of the article is very misleading. Also Vega should be out early next year depending on HBM2 and Nvidias moves.

Anywho we shall see, but it will be more than 2 cards, just because Polaris 10 has 2 SKUs, R9 490 and R9 490x. Polaris 11 should also come later during the summer or early fall.. And it may have up to 5 different SKUs.

maybe ial wait another month or 2 if i can and save more cash and lave a bigger budget...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulminia View Post
    maybe ial wait another month or 2 if i can and save more cash and lave a bigger budget...
    Probably a good choice if you don't need it right away.

yea my wifes computer is starting the process of dying but hasn't stopped completely yet just blue screens once a week now when its once an hour ial worry more lol

900 is a good bit if you recycle the case and storage. Maybe the video card to buy you some more time as well because we are kinda between cycles right now with them. Most the newer ones coming out at the moment are just different cooler spit shine card designs that at 6 months to a year old at heart.