Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    I have a few reasons as to why people like skins

1. It shows off your prestige to other players
    Absolutely not. First, it's totally random. Second, skins are not gain by achieving something in game (like an achievement or extra display of your skill).
    2. Its an Extra reason to continue playing the game
    Hmm.. is it? I thought beating people and crushing their souls is the main reason. Dunno m8, I play to win.
    3. They look bad ass (You can still see them if your hero has an ability that makes the game third person and also on the main menu screen)
    Yes, they do look great - I'm actually quite impressed with the recent additions. But considering that you can't see them during 90% of your activity.. it's not that awesome. And again, they are gain through random means or through sheer force of a wallet, so you can't show of them as "hey, I got X skin so be careful cause I did Y and Z which proves my skill".
    4. They just look cool and people like collecting them
    Pokemon complex - yeah I agree, some people need to collect everything. Then again basing your game model on people's OCD/Autism is kinda meh :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Hmm.. is it? I thought beating people and crushing their souls is the main reason. Dunno m8, I play to win.
    He said an Extra reason, not main.

But considering that you can't see them during 90% of your activity.. it's not that awesome.
    Irrelevant. You know what you are wearing, you dont have to see it. Others see it.

and a lot of skins do change what you can see of your player in your 1st person perspective.

During highlights, potg's, winning team screen and 3rd person streams you can spot who's who and see yourself or that person through their chosen skin.

But all this is also irrelevant.

This isnt complicated in the end. It's just the basic appeal of aesthetics and fantasy at play. People like using a certain skin more than the default or anything else and like others seeing them use it.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-04-15 at 11:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    This isnt complicated in the end. It's just the basic appeal of aesthetics and fantasy at play. People like using a certain skin more than the default or anything else and like others seeing them use it.
    I kinda agree. Though I would like some "exclusivity". In Smite you have separate category of skins gained through godranks (time/matches played with that god) - IT'S NOT a display of your skill, but a nice touch for committed people.

I would love to see some kind of aesthetic in OW that is granted in other way than just luck/wallet.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are special sprays that can be earned through achievements. The 16-bit and Cute (Chibi) sprays are all from achievements like, "Kill two players with one Deflection as Genji."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    1. Ship spinning, 2. look good to others (prestige value), 3. More ship spinning! 4. look good on the main menu hero select screen, 5. even more ship spinning! and 6. to look good on the victory screen. Did I mention SHIP SPINNING!?!?
    Must be a goon

But really, ship spinning (character select) and victory screen.

Or you play Zenyatta a lot and are abnormally good at getting the ultimate charged.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    I don't quite understand the perks of these extra skins. It isn't like you can see them to enjoy them. It just doesn't make any sense to me how having something you can't see is enjoyable.
    Why do you customize your avatar on this webside?

Are you starring at your pokemon avatar every single time you read your own posts out loud?

Besides, when I roll over you over and over again with my skin of choice I can rest easy knowing that your screams of agony are truly for me and not mistaking me for another guy on my team who also chose that character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    There are special sprays that can be earned through achievements. The 16-bit and Cute (Chibi) sprays are all from achievements like, "Kill two players with one Deflection as Genji."
    Uhm.. you're right, I totally forgot about those o_O. I want more though :P.

dont let all the fanbois here tell you otherwise...

they are pointless

They are pointless on Overwatch, i must agree.