Quote Originally Posted by Zequill View Post
    I have been trying to do a little research on Blizzard closing private server and I have only find server that were doing micro-transaction or those that were in NA, where it most be easier for Blizzard to close it (finding a lawyer with knowledge of the region Law). Are there other private server that got close by Blizzard that don't fit those 2 reason?

If not, you really cannot say they knew it would happen... There is a impressive list of private server with all kind of rules/version running that will never get close just because they don't have the fame Nost had.
    That's why it got shut down - it was getting too big, too fast for Blizzard's liking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zmp View Post
    Even if Blizzard would retrieve the source code that Nostralius had compiled ($0 dollars spent), had technicians gather dusty old hardware to create a server to run it (maybe $50 dollars spent), it will somehow still "cost a raid tier" in their current/"new" WoW game. Cant let that happen!!!11

Edit: Oh and classic WoW did not have an ingame Bli$$ard store, maybe that is the core reason that official Vanilla servers will never exist.
    Again...and again...I've had to post that they would never, ever do that. Can't do that. Blizzard would never release or maintain a game that was bug-filled, security-exploitable by a decade, and couldn't be connected to their network now.

Again, they would have to pay to fix the bugs, weave in the exploit fixes, hardware updates, driver update, rebuild the backend (missing textures, quest dialogs, items, just as Nostalrius did), get the Battle.net code as it exists today in place, and staff a team of GM's and support roles. They've explicitly said these are the things they would have to do and they're not willing to front the millions of dollars it would cost for what would likely be a low-turnout and bad return on investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    It's not the same game, and it's not what those players want.

The Vanilla experience doesn't exist anymore. The MMO genre has shifted.
    They saved you time by cutting an MMORPG into just an O

Yes , WoW is an Online.

it ends there

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post

They notice there is a demand but it does not seem like there is enough of that demand to make it worth it.
    They also, I might add, completely contradict what the rabbid fanboys on this forum have been arguing: "The old code is lost, Blizzard doesn't have it anymore."

I phrase: "The old code is designed to run on the old hardware. The old code brings with it the old data, which includes the old bugs."

Aka: Blizzard hasn't lost the old code. It was a bullshit excuse. Anyone who brings up that point again will be referred to Kyanion's post #17066 in future. I was right.

As I have said for months: if Blizzard was in a position where they didn't back up old code and old iterations of a piece of software they would be deemed fucking incompetent.

They have only excuses and worries to fend the idea off, no actual data surrounding actual interest or demand from their potential playerbase. They have no facts, they simply don't want to. That is the cold, hard fact people need to realise. "My artistic vision q.q" is basically what Blizzard is excusing themselves with.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2016-04-16 at 04:33 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Again...and again...I've had to post that they would never, ever do that. Can't do that. Blizzard would never release or maintain a game that was bug-filled, security-exploitable by a decade, and couldn't be connected to their network now.

Again, they would have to pay to fix the bugs, weave in the exploit fixes, hardware updates, driver update, rebuild the backend (missing textures, quest dialogs, items, just as Nostalrius did), get the Battle.net code as it exists today in place, and staff a team of GM's and support roles. They've explicitly said these are the things they would have to do and they're not willing to front the millions of dollars it would cost for what would likely be a low-turnout and bad return on investment.
    Yeah and that is even before you get to the pitfall of WHICH classic servers exist. What patch? Why vanilla? Why not TBC or WotLK both had more players. Shit is just a massive can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    They also, I might add, completely contradict what the rabbid fanboys on this forum have been arguing: "The old code is lost, Blizzard doesn't have it anymore."

I phrase: "The old code is designed to run on the old hardware. The old code brings with it the old data, which includes the old bugs."

Aka: Blizzard hasn't lost the old code. It was a bullshit excuse. Anyone who brings up that point again will be referred to Kyanion's post #17066 in future. I was right.

As I have said for months: if Blizzard was in a position where they didn't back up old code and old iterations of a piece of software they would be deemed fucking incompetent.
    She never said anything about we have the code still, but what a rabid Nostalrius fanboy would know about that

I'm not one of the ones saying they did or didn't have the code, I did say that it didn't really matter if they had it. What about what the rest of the blue post says though? "Not feasible to support multiple versions of WoW" and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    That's why it got shut down - it was getting too big, too fast for Blizzard's liking.
    But they didn't plan their fame. And those that were playing first on it didn't plan it either.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and that is even before you get to the pitfall of WHICH classic servers exist. What patch? Why vanilla? Why not TBC or WotLK both had more players. Shit is just a massive can of worms.
    Exactly. Everyone has an idea of what part of classic and TBC was "the best", and would likely clamor for specific patches. Or, they'd ask for a re-progression of the prior raids (like Nost was doing), but realistically, how often could you press RESET and begin again?

Quote Originally Posted by Madscientist View Post
    She never said anything about we have the code still, but what a rabid Nostalrius fanboy would know about that
    The bottom line is it does not even matter if they have the old code or not.

- - - Updated - - -

But they didn't plan their fame. And those that were playing first on it didn't plan it either.
    Well it is a bit hard to find sympathy for people playing on a PS. There was still a risk no matter how small the people felt it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Madscientist View Post
    Hey, go figure: I NEVER PLAYED ON NOSTALRIUS. Nor do I condone piracy... Do you strawman much? She literally verified that the old code exists. She even explained why it would be a hassle to use it, which we all know is just another excuse to not do it. Don't try to weasel your way out of that by targeting an imaginery Atelniar that is supposedly a Nostalrius fan-boy.

I like how you point out the code bit, read it how you will.. yet ignore the fact that they DO NOT HAVE ANY PLANS TO SETUP CLASSIC REALMS.

All you read is: Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit ,Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit, Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit, we lied! Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Exactly. Everyone has an idea of what part of classic and TBC was "the best", and would likely clamor for specific patches. Or, they'd ask for a re-progression of the prior raids (like Nost was doing), but realistically, how often could you press RESET and begin again?
    Yup or what about class balance changes. Bux fixes? What about new content if it does well? Why stop at one version, give us a natural progression TBC and then a TBC with everything unlocked. Oh and let us move TBC characters to WotLK later!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    I like how you point out the code bit, read it how you will.. yet ignore the fact that they DO NOT HAVE ANY PLANS TO SETUP CLASSIC REALMS.

All you read is: Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit ,Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit, Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit, we lied! Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit.
    Hey come on. The plans to not have classic realms hurt their narrative about the "HUGE" amount of people that want them despite what Blizzard wants to do.

I'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone for their contribution, 17186 posts in this thread, well done everyone.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have been trying to do a little research on Blizzard closing private server and I have only find server that were doing micro-transaction or those that were in NA, where it most be easier for Blizzard to close it (finding a lawyer with knowledge of the region Law). Are there other private server that got close by Blizzard that don't fit those 2 reason?

If not, you really cannot say they knew it would happen... There is a impressive list of private server with all kind of rules/version running that will never get close just because they don't have the fame Nost add.
    A few streamers and positive reviews of Nost made it grow insane over the past 4-5 months. Blizzard could not just watch as it was rivalving the current busiest retail realms.

Though now that whole crowd (along with a new crowd due to all the publicity) are waiting for the next private legacy realm to open.

If you google you'll find more info on this and very recently a new one did open getting over 18,000 unique connections (that's 4-5 high pop realms)
    Last edited by peterpan007; 2016-04-16 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    I'd just like to take a moment to thank everyone for their contribution, 17186 posts in this thread, well done everyone.
    Okay? If we filtered out posts like those this thread would shrink by a few hundred posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    Heh no problem you taffer.

blizzards biggest problem: listening to noobs

after legion will be: world of safespace: hello kitty^^ *FREE EPIC with every purchase!

I'm not one of the ones saying they did or didn't have the code, I did say that it didn't really matter if they had it. What about what the rest of the blue post says though? "Not feasible to support multiple versions of WoW" and so on.
    Excuses, other companies have done this, but my point has been established: the old code exist and the old argument that it didn't has been duped unreliable by Blizzard themselves. I kept saying it, but no one would listen to logic, hence why I am happy as a salmon now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post

Reading comprehension? Have you read my previous posts on the topic? That's what I have been saying all along, are you dimwitted?

Excuses, other companies have done this, but my point has been established: the old code exist and the old argument that it didn't has been duped unreliable by Blizzard themselves. I kept saying it, but no one would listen to logic, hence why I am happy as a salmon now.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading comprehension? Have you read my previous posts on the topic? That's what I have been saying all along, are you dimwitted?
    Oh nice just handwave away the parts of the post saying where Blizz does not want to do classic servers. Hey whatever works for your narrative. Keep wishing for those servers!