Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post
    I have nothing according to you. These numbers can't be confirmed? Well, yes, you can continue to deny them. The petition and nosts playernumbers is just one thing. Deny that, sure , but remember, unless you find evidence that these numbers are fake, it is safe to assume that they are real
    Here's the thing: the ones telling us about Nostalrius' ""official numbers"" are the Nostalrius gang themselves, and, being criminals talking about their crime, that puts everything they say about the subject matter into question. You want us to believe those numbers are real? Then prove it. The word of a criminal doesn't work as evidence. The onus of proof is not on us, but on you, to prove those numbers are real and not made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Ok so can you agree that there is a chance classic realms blow up in their fucking faces? And it might not be worth taking that risk? Sure it could work out great and it could also be an epic failure that costs them money.
    That is pretty much common when you try to develop software. It's hit or miss, but in many cases you never have an inkling of how popular your software will be or what kind of demographic you will truly achieve. WoW is actual proof of that, no one ever thought it would become the social phenomena it did. Which is why it would be downright stupid to assume that legacy servers wouldn't have a pretty high demographic in WoW's case.

There's always a risk. Garrisons are proof of what risks are present even when you try to play it safe.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    It couldn't possibly not be profitable. All they have to do is sell the ip for each xpac to a private server and take a cut. There is no way they can not make money doing this, they wouldn't be spending any money or resources.
    Or, or they can continue with what they have, what they will have after the movie, and Legion.

You can't do anything anyone suggest for Legacy that has zero cost, it is all a gamble, one they are not willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    20 is too small in my opinion. I think 25 was the perfect size, but Blizzard decided 20 and I'm content with that. Whether you like the size or not you have to admit that the homogenization required for 10 man competitive raiding gutted many of the unique aspects of classes. I miss niche roles as I believe they make the game more fun. Utility DPS was a role that was lost and BC Elemental Shaman was one of my favorite classes. Not because my damage was amazing(it was shitty) but because the utility I brought in the form of buffs to my group compensated and then some.
    I don't think the homogenisation happened because of shrinking the raids but because Blizzard decided that hybrid classes should rival pure classes in DPS. The reason for playing a hybrid was because you had the extra buffs and abilities to compensate for your sub-par damage but according to the forums that was "bad".

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank god I've never put any faith in Gamespot and other bs sites like that.
    What score would your faithful reviewer give WoD?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Was more to address the pseudo intellectual "haha my side of the argument is so logically and factually superior" post you made earlier. Both sides of this trainwreck of a thread is full of misinformation. Propainn and I addressed this 500 pages ago.
    There is always people on both sides of anything who make shit arguments. Funnily, it still doesn't mean they do it equally, nor does it mean both sides are equally right.

BTW, the typical WoW player was still an adult back then (which already shot down the retarded "they grew up and got responsabilities" argument on its own), which doesn't mean there isn't also a LARGE amount of players who were younger, for which part the other counter ("each year there is new highschool/college kids growing up to replace those who left") ALSO shot down the argument. It just means the argument is so shitty it can be shot down from several angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    My studies consists mostly of C#, Java, HTML, CSS, PhP, JavaScript, C, SQL, etc. I use tools like VisualStudio on a daily basis. I have enough insight to know a bullshit excuse about "losing old code" from what actual developers do in their line of work. How about you? Oh, and I have been a part of the MMORPG-scene for well over a decade.
    Me too, and if you would read my previous posts I'm a graduated software engineer who manages an intranet system for a healthcare company. I am helping a friend develop a turn based strategy game using java play. I could be a potato farmer though and know that all of this is pointless as we aren't part of the company which is literally all that matters.

Good exchanging info, sweet list of coding languages .
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

at least you are only drunk. I think I might die if I see it again.
    You are such a lightweight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    I don't think the homogenisation happened because of shrinking the raids but because Blizzard decided that hybrid classes should rival pure classes in DPS. The reason for playing a hybrid was because you had the extra buffs and abilities to compensate for your sub-par damage but according to the forums that was "bad".
    Niche roles were eliminated because 10 mans couldn't expect to have said role. The Holy Paladin was changed into this AoE healing abomination in Cata and Mists and only recently started looking like it's old self. All tanks have practically become the same, all healers, all ranged DPS, all melee DPS. They didn't want raids to require a Moonkin for his buff or an Elemental Shaman for his totem because that would mean every 10 man had to have that class.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by ZURD View Post
    You dismiss 100k+ signatures,
    Because they are meaningless. Not to mention that you can sign more than once.

10k+ individual people online at once and tens of thousands of active accounts.
    On a free server

What exactly then is good enough evidence for you?
    Proof that vanilla servers can be profitable, like most pro-vanilla people claim. But not 'chump change' profits: remember: Blizzard won't be hiring a third party to host their servers: they'll buy it themselves, which means doing all the work themselves, buying all the necessary hardware themselves, and hiring and training development, community manager and customer support teams, and pay them monthly.

And you speak about cost, wow, do you realise the Nostalrius dev team had literally zero revenue? The net cost is much more favourable to Blizzard.
    Read above.

You are no different to the hundreds of other Blizzard fan boys with the same rhetoric of 'It's against the rules! Blizzard can do what they like =)).'
    Hah. So hypocritical of you to say we 'repeat the same rhetoric':

"WoW vanilla servers can be profitable!" *offers no evidence*
    "There is a huge interest for vanilla servers!" *ignores the low retention rate"
    *Blizzard are lying to us about vanilla servers!" *trusts the words of criminals*

Me too, and if you would read my previous posts I'm a graduated software engineer who manages an intranet system for a healthcare company. I am helping a friend develop a turn based strategy game using java play. I could be a potato farmer though and know that all of this is pointless as we aren't part of the company which is literally all that matters.

Good exchanging info, sweet list of coding languages .
    Why, thank you, I would list more, but my notifications are going nuts. And to argue that I use python and other languages which I have merely touched upon would be a lie. Still, point remains: theory-crafting is allowed, and you can not devalue that by using the term arm-chair [insert random profession].

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Niche roles were eliminated because 10 mans couldn't expect to have said role. The Holy Paladin was changed into this AoE healing abomination in Cata and Mists and only recently started looking like it's old self. All tanks have practically become the same, all healers, all ranged DPS, all melee DPS. They didn't want raids to require a Moonkin for his buff or an Elemental Shaman for his totem because that would mean every 10 man had to have that class.
    Shit, never realised that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Are you really that silly or just pretending? lets take the average wow player from back 2006:
    - male
    - going to school
    - a teen
    10 years later he has:
    - a job
    - probably a girlfriend
    - mayhaps a family

but go on claiming theres nothing to do in wow now, and claim that was back in vanilla is kinda very silly.
    So there are no male teens going to school playing wow today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    To be fair, the world has changed quite a bit in 10 years. Back then you were more likely to have WoW and maybe another game here and there to kill down time. Now you can get thousands of cheap games from places like steam whenever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    Teens nowadays only know abstinence from the dictionary so probably no

jk

Ok so can you agree that there is a chance classic realms blow up in their fucking faces? And it might not be worth taking that risk? Sure it could work out great and it could also be an epic failure that costs them money.
    It could obviously blow up in their face, because obviously if it was possible to know for sure what works and what doesn't there would only be successful enterprises
    But nevertheless, legacy servers are a very low-cost investment, especially for Blizzard - they might be rather high-risk from a PR perspective, which is IMO the real roadblock - so even if it blew up it wouldn't be a large cost.

Again, the only real problems are most probably "political" (as in : would be a loss of face, and a change in general strategy). Which can be pretty strong incentives to ignore even a low-risk venture.

I mean, it is a direct parallel.

BACK TO THE SAND I GO!
    It's a SANDMAN, quick, hide! In the sand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    But not 'chump change' profits: remember: Blizzard won't be hiring a third party to host their servers: they'll buy it themselves, which means doing all the work themselves, buying all the necessary hardware themselves, and hiring and training development, community manager and customer support teams, and pay them monthly.
    We need proof this is true. You are just making up things to support your argument.
    You must provide undeniable proof from Blizzard , or this is just assumptions on your part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    It could obviously blow up in their face, because obviously if it was possible to know for sure what works and what doesn't there would only be successful enterprises
    But nevertheless, legacy servers are a very low-cost investment, especially for Blizzard - they might be rather high-risk from a PR perspective, which is IMO the real roadblock - so even if it blew up it wouldn't be a large cost.

Again, the only real problems are most probably "political" (as in : would be a loss of face, and a change in general strategy). Which can be pretty strong incentives to ignore even a low-risk venture.
    Do you have any proof that it's a low cost venture? I've yet to see any numbers to back that claim up from anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    To be fair, the world has changed quite a bit in 10 years. Back then you were more likely to have WoW and maybe another game here and there to kill down time. Now you can get thousands of cheap games from places like steam whenever you want.
    True, but wow has lost so many MMORPG elements that I'm wondering if it's still worthy of being called that. I'm mentioning this because it resembles these quick-to-play games more and more. And the lack of perceived value on characters nowadays makes people less incentivized to come back.