Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The leveling experience is already ruined by the changes of the last 3 expansions. Those changes made leveling not even moderately challenging and took most of the fun out of it. Heirlooms just make bad leveling even worse.

As with everything else, you have the option to not use them.

"But that means gimping myself"- Against who, exactly? What is it with people today being unable to play a fucking mmorpg the way they want...?

No, they do not ruin my leveling experience. I choose to use them, and sometimes I choose not to, depending on what I want out of the experience. Sometimes I want to read quests and finish zones, so then I don't use looms. Sometimes I want to speed to a certain level, and then I use looms and go dungeons. Sometimes I'm happy to quest and use heirlooms, and sometimes I stay in zones long after they've become grey to my heirloomed character.

If I want danger of dying and "challenge", I do the Iron Man. Choices all around. And when I just don't feel like leveling at all, I buy a boost. They're not mutually exclusive, one can choose to take many routes. I've leveled 33 characters to 100, never once been impacted or felt "gimped" by or against other players choosing to level in different ways from my own. Gear = a tool, not the reason for why I play. If I don't feel like I need the tools in certain areas, I'll opt for other tools that give me the result I want. Be it slower leveling, less power or whatever.

And, if we're gonna go in on this dead horse of "challenging leveling content!", in order for leveling content to meet the standards of "challenge" we have today, it'd have to be tuned like the higher levels of Brawler's, or Proving grounds. Not pulling more than 1 mob at a time and eating between every mob battled may have been a challenging strategy to follow way back when, but today? Not so much.

Not that I'd mind if they applied the Keystone modes to leveling as an optional feature that'd only affect your character/those you grouped with, but that's for a future expansion.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-16 at 01:23 AM.

Deleted
    Heirlooms are a must due the ridiculous amount of levels in this game.

Deleted
    Gear... hard to say. It evens out at some point, and it someone doesn't care his looks stay exactly the same - and identical as any other character of his class for 99 levels, that's his business. Heirloom Medallion is nice too, before the Legion PvP changes hit.

However, the constant droning of the heirloom mounts ruins every single starting zone for sure. Double the ruin for the especially atmospheric ones, like Night Elf or Undead.

I don't know what demon told Blizzard making the most common mount the noisiest one was a good idea, but I wish there was an option to mute them.
    Last edited by mmocd2effbd770; 2016-04-16 at 12:51 AM.

No they don't because they're optional. Don't like them? Don't use them. Problem solved. The only issue you face after that is if you believe it is your job to tell other people how to play the game

If they ruin it for you, then don't use them. Doesn't get any easier than that. I've leveled more than 20 wow characters, i don't want to enjoy lvling, i want to rush through it as fast as possible because i've done it 20+ times already. So for me, heirlooms saved lvling.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwarden View Post
    However, the constant droning of the heirloom mounts ruins every single starting zone for sure. Double the ruin for the especially atmospheric ones, like Night Elf or Undead.

I don't know what demon told Blizzard making the most common mount the noisiest one was a good idea, but I wish there was an option to mute them.
    THIS I agree completely with! When I heard "heirloom mount", I was sort of hoping that it'd be a spiced up version of the level 20 racial mounts, changing depending on the race of your character. A newb undead would be riding a skeletal horse at 1, for a nelf it'd be a saber and so on...

Mechanical mounts can die in puddles of salty water, at least the ones making a lot of noise! I mute the game until my char reaches 20 most of the time. ^^
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-16 at 12:58 AM.

Naw Blizz just needs to expand the scaling that it is using in Legion to the entire game and every level

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    The leveling experience is already ruined by the changes of the last 3 expansions. Those changes made leveling not even moderately challenging and took most of the fun out of it. Heirlooms just make bad leveling even worse.
    Leveling was never, ever challenging. Use to be a bit more time consuming yes but it was never challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    To me, they kinda do. Which is why I don't use them. WoW is mostly about upgrading your gear, and heirlooms takes that important aspect away, even if the gear is low level stuff used for leveling and replaced soon afterwards.
    Exactly this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    While I certainly can't argue that statement, the problem is if you're the only one in a dungeon group that isn't using BoAs, there's a good chance you're either going to die or get kicked from the group.

If all you're doing is questing, then it won't be an issue. But doing dungeons, especially as a tank or healer without 'looms is no bueno.
    Heirlooms aren't really necessary. The way classes are tuned and the number of abilities that you get early on still makes dungeons laughable.
    I leveled a druid tank in MoP without heirlooms and was literally soloing dungeons. I'm sure the same could go for healers because mana isn't even an afterthought in low level dungeons. The last time I had any kind of fun or challenge in low level dungeons was back in Wrath when very few people had heirlooms and bosses didn't die in 5 seconds.

Heirlooms kinda breaks the game for leveling I agree. But their purpose is to let you lvl faster, same goes with the 3h or 15min XP Potions we can use. As the OP said, you start a new zone, queue into a dungeon, by the time ur done with the dungeon, you're too high lvl to stay in that zone and only finish half of the quest. It can be frustrating for people that want to know the story and the Cata Revamp (most revamp zones are worth trying if you like story/lore) But if you just to get done with it, its the perfect option. I can be frustrating to have a weak character, even if questing is pretty easy overall. But IMO its the best way to learn your class. Its usually when you struggle that you learn to use your abilities to its full potential. But heirloom make you feel powerful, and its fun. Then when you hit lvl100 with you're crappy 605 ilvl heirloom you get that slap in the face (not powerful anymore XD).

WoW pre-lvl100 and WoW at lvl100 are 2 different game completely. Either you like lvling but find gear farming tedious, or just the complete opposite, where lvl is "meh" and farming is "Yeah!". It really depends of what you want to do.

And I couldnt lvl up a character without the Heirloom mount anymore.... (Who walks now anyway? Its so 2006 (Pre-BC)).

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    While I certainly can't argue that statement, the problem is if you're the only one in a dungeon group that isn't using BoAs, there's a good chance you're either going to die or get kicked from the group.
    Never had it happened, not once, whilst doing dungeons without looms, healing or tanking or dpsing. If you get kicked, just shrug it off and join another. A bad tank in heirlooms is still a bad tank, and I've seen several kicked for that reason, but never out of principle because they didn't have looms...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post

1) It can be frustrating for people that want to know the story and the Cata Revamp (most revamp zones are worth trying if you like story/lore)

2) But IMO its the best way to learn your class. Its usually when you struggle that you learn to use your abilities to its full potential. .
    1) Those people are entirely free to immerse themselves into the story, if they're craving it. The only frustration would be self-inflicted.

2) Then how come so many players have always reached max level only to end up barely able to perform at a minimum?

Back when many classes had 1 viable spec and fewer abilities at max level than starting characters have at level 15 today, I could see how the leveling experience could have trained players...only, it didn't. People still, even then, had to learn how to play at max level when performance came into the picture.

When I leveled my first character, I learned to play "my way" whilst leveling. Then at max level when it came down to performance and going up against actual mechanics (questing mobs have always been dumb as bricks), I had to basically relearn my class and learn how it should be played in a setting where survival and performance went hand in hand.

The unfortunate truth is that much of the leveling experience is beyond dated.

It was great years and years ago, but it's just not up to scratch today, because it is in essence nothing more than a painful grind.

To make the problem worse, there is very little to no replay value.

Technically speaking once you have 2 max level characters one Horde and one Alliance you have got the gist of the events. Further immersion offers little to no reward because unlike in single player RPGs your actions have no impact on the world, or really yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaviaton View Post
    Like most people who have characters at max level, I've got several heirloom items and I have leveled several characters by suiting up and powering through the levels. Leveling a new character is basically just a race to hit the level cap as fast as possible. After the world revamp in Cataclysm, most zones provide great quest chains but with heirlooms, you hit the max recommended level for the zone before these chains are finished and you move on. As an experiment I tried out leveling without heirlooms again, just to fit the levels in. I realized that not only can I enjoy the questing again, but actually upgrading my equipment while leveling makes the leveling enjoyable, and without overpowered gear I actually have to focus on what I'm doing.

I am basically wondering if anyone else has found heirlooms to suck the fun out of leveling? Do people generally dislike leveling so much that you prefer to get it over with as fast as possible? Do you think heirlooms could be changed somehow?
    Simply put? Yes.

Reasoning? I used to level back in Vanila, and that was a fun amazing experience, going from zone to zone, getting the rewards, hopefully getting a nice little story In each zone and aiming to eventually explore the whole of Azeroth, by foot, one by one, that was the endgame. Running around, exploring, leveling, getting better and better gear until you could raid and do tougher stuff to get even better gear.

Hell, I remember getting that I think It was level 16 common white axe from the vendor? Pretty shit, yes. But to me It was like Ashbringer, so awesome and nice.... I was an orc warrior. It was better then what I had before, and I finally got the silvers for It when I was around lvl 20 I think. Barrens was a giant place, let me tell you... hunting all of those quests down In the desert.
    Last edited by mmoc385edd32eb; 2016-04-16 at 06:08 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To the OP, in my opinion, Looms are one of the best creations they've ever made in this game. I enjoy the 1-60 content but after that it's a nightmare for me to do the content that I've done since TBC
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

It is my understanding (read that as: it's been so long since I've played a lowbie without heirlooms, how would I know?) that heirlooms aren't as overpowered as they used to be.

The XP bonus is only, from what I understand (read the caveat, above), on killing mobs, not on quest turn-ins. So it's unlikely to be all that big of a deal, comparatively speaking. They've boosted leveling so much that the small boost to killing mobs probably only takes a few hours off of dedicated leveling.

The stats from the gear are nice, but with the stat crunch (again, caveat), a good piece of dungeon blues/rares could last ten levels, where it used to only last maybe 4-5 levels. So even if you outstrip your gear, the difference in stats of a piece from ten levels ago (even quest greens/uncommons) is minimal.

But that's all based on my impressions from an expansion or two ago, so take with a grain of salt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracens View Post
    Don't do them than.
    Idiots like this one always make sure that my visits to this forum end up in being irrirated. Judging by your posts in other threads I can safely say that you're not the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe it's time to apply for work at Blizzard?

Let me start by stating that I don't play WoW anymore because the leveling experience is a disjointed, broken mess. It has always been my favorite part of the game and as of now, the game would be better off without it.

Heirlooms are only part of the problem. Even without them dungeons and the world are undertuned and there's no risk of dying. Pacing is messed up even when wearing greens. You outlevel zones without having a chance of completing them, especially if you attempt to do dungeons on the way (each dungeon only once, that's what I've always been doing).

As for heirlooms being optional: they are NOT. Don't even approach PvP without them or you will keep getting instagibbed without a chance to fight back. Your performance in dungeons will be garbage because all the players fully decked in heirlooms have chosen to be overpowered. So if you want to level by doing a healthy mix of dungeons, questing and PvP (like myself), you HAVE to wear heirlooms to even have a go at staying competitive. It boils down to making a choice: do you want to enjoy better pacing and constantly improving your gear during leveling (core part of an MMORPG) or make yourself stupidly overpowered just not to get kicked from dungeons and not to get wrecked in PvP by every mouth-breathing heirloom user.

One thing I don't understand, is this retard mentality of so many WoW players. They seem to perceive Blizzard as some sort of enemies. When Blizzard trivializes certain aspects of the game and makes them completely undertuned and boring, these players treat it as some kind of victory. "Hurr, they're messing up their game by making it too easy and too convenient (yes, too convenient is a thing). Now I will finally be able to steamroll through undertuned seas of boring content so that I can join my friends in lackluster endgame!"

It's the result of Blizzards greediness. It has clouded their judgement. They listen to the loudest morons who have no clue what's good for the game thinking that it will somehow bring more subscribers with their shekels. Surprise! Undertuning the game and overdoing it with the convenience does NOT increase the games population. Frankly, the result is the opposite. Old timers, who have fell in love with a game different than it is nowadays leave in masses.
    Last edited by mmoca7431c090a; 2016-04-16 at 07:08 PM.

Gear... hard to say. It evens out at some point, and it someone doesn't care his looks stay exactly the same - and identical as any other character of his class for 99 levels, that's his business. Heirloom Medallion is nice too, before the Legion PvP changes hit.
    It's why I wish that transmog was "per slot" and not "per gear"... For my lowbies, the helmets on my plate wearers generally don't work well, and they end up having a huge collar around their lower jaws, and nothing above that.

This looks to be what you're looking for:

http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/mute-wow-sounds

Seems to be you'll have to ask around to find out what/where are the sounds you dislike and manually add them to the list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If heirlooms ruin your leveling experience, don't use them. That is how simple it is. Some it 'ruins' it for, and others it makes it better.
    But other people use them effecting the leveling process. If I entered a dungeon with a loom loaded tank then I may as well go afk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    But other people use them effecting the leveling process. If I entered a dungeon with a loom loaded tank then I may as well go afk.
    Note that I don't do group instanced content. So this is a curiosity question, not a loaded question.

Is it possible to do a "group finder" for low-level dungeons? Assemble a group of players outfitted in non-heirloom gear, for instance?