Quote Originally Posted by Plaguestorm View Post
    god allmost 900 pages later... and people still think what blizzard did was wrong, and that the server was legal...
    Me thinks you have no followed the thread at all. Or you would see that maybe around only 20 posts, out of 17921, considered the Private Server to not be breaking any law.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Me thinks you have no followed the thread at all. Or you would see that maybe around only 20 posts, out of 17921, considered the Private Server to not be breaking any law.
    yes but that people are still debating about this....

god allmost 900 pages later... and people still think what blizzard did was wrong, and that the server was legal...

can we just get over this?

blizzard shut down a illegal private server, big deal, yes it effected alot of people, but overall IT WAS ILLEGAL they had every right to do it, there is no debating it

was it a good thing they did it? for a company, and a copright holder, yes it was

for a community and players of nost? no it wasent

but thing is, blizzard is in the right, these people were hosting their product, for free, accepting donations, and possibly having people not play the normal game cause of it

ive talked to a guild on the server, and 5 people addmited "i would have played retail, but my freinds told me about this so i decided to try this out insted"

lost money for blizz
    Legally speaking George Lucas was in the right too when he crapped all over his original masterpiece and refused to sell his most passionate fans an unaltered version. Sure you can levy your scorn against the fans that now download the despecialized edition. But in the legal right or not, it's pretty obvious who the real douche is.
    Last edited by Merie; 2016-04-17 at 03:50 AM.

yes but that people are still debating about this....
    Mostly just echo-chambers now, repeating themselves and saying "exactly", from both sides.

Most of the arguments from both sides have already been stated and repeated plenty of times. Now the thread is mostly just to funnel and prevent the rest of the forum from getting rogue threads about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I'm always impressed by people who constantly try to bash ideas by taking words from people as if they were holy.

Blizzard is a man-led enterprise. It have its faults - it can and still do many mistakes every single day. When they said no to private servers, it was also when WoD was on the decline - nothing surprising considering that opening a legacy server while the main, current content is on the decline is bad publicity. It's declaring that they can't make content as good as what they used to do 10 years ago. Well, let me tell you, nobody want to say they got worse over time.
    They haven't said 'no' just "when WoD was in decline". They have said no ever since The Burning Crusade expansion. Year after year, the same question asked, getting the same answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Legally speaking George Lucas was in the right too when he crapped all over his original masterpiece and refused to sell his most passionate fans an unaltered version. Sure you can levy your scorn against the fans that now download the despecialized edition. But in the legal right no not, it's pretty obvious who the real douche is.
    ok... kinda a weird example... as your comparing multiple people downloading it, to one person disturbing it... heres a better example using your statement

George lucas has edited the starwars movies

somone goes online and makes a website hosting the old movies pre-edit, for anyone, bought the orignal or not, is able to watch the movies

george lucas then shuts down the website and sues them

he is in the right, even though you cant acsess the orignal movie 100%

they still made it, and somone else is using it and giving it out for free
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2016-04-17 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    They haven't said 'no' just "when WoD was in decline". They have said no ever since The Burning Crusade expansion. Year after year, the same question asked, getting the same answer.
    Actually, it has never been a direct no (well shouldn't say this, but the majority haven't been a direct no). It typically involves at this time type comments. Which highly indicates the realm of possibility sometime in the future. Any person knows too that this want for these types of servers has only increased over the years. Unless you for some reason suspect all of us are the same person. In that case, I don't know what to say.
    Last edited by Eliseus; 2016-04-17 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    Actually, it has never been a direct no (well shouldn't say this, but the majority haven't been a direct no). It typically involves at this time type comments. Which highly indicates the realm of possibility sometime in the future.
    Not really. It just means that Blizzard, like any business, are not going to outright close any possible future endeavors by stating a resounding 'no'. But the message has basically stayed the same over ten years: no classic servers.

Any person knows too that this want for these types of servers has only increased over the years.
    Has it, really? And I'm not asking this out of spite, but a legitimate question. Since, up until the moment Blizzard brought down the law on Nostalrius, the 'vanilla server' talk didn't really differ in intensity from basically every other year, during content droughts.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2016-04-17 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Legally speaking George Lucas was in the right too when he crapped all over his original masterpiece and refused to sell his most passionate fans an unaltered version. Sure you can levy your scorn against the fans that now download the despecialized edition. But in the legal right no not, it's pretty obvious who the real douche is.
    Apt comparison. That's very on point.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    And I report every streamer and new server. Muahahaa
    That sounds like something that someone with no job or responsibilities would do. Good job being an unpaid snitch.
    You and your God don't frighten me. You see, you and I believe in different things. You wanna know what I believe in? The Will of Fire. Right now, the God you should be worried about isn't your stupid Jashin or anyone else. It's me, because I'm the one who's about to pass judgement.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me when we kept asking for Oceanic servers and every year for nearly 10 years no no no.

Then suddenly one day a miracle happened - oceanic servers announced.

Morale of story - it won't happen overnight but it will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    And I report every streamer and new server. Muahahaa
    Some private server have been around for over 5+ years so I don't think Blizzard cares about most private servers.

Just this one as it had 12-15 k concurrent connections - essentially 4 high pop retail wow servers
    Last edited by peterpan007; 2016-04-17 at 04:04 AM.

Didn't Bliz say no flying in Draenor like 2 months before announcing flying in Draenor?

Other companies say no for years before finally giving customers what they want - look at Square. They said "no" to a remake of Final Fantasy VII for about 10 years and now they're doing it.

Not really. It just means that Blizzard, like any business, are not going to outright close any possible future endeavors by stating a resounding 'no'. But the message has basically stayed the same over ten years: no classic servers.
    This just contradicted yourself. You say no, by also stating as a company they won't close any possible future endeavor.................

Has it, really? And I'm not asking this out of spite, but a legitimate question. Since, up until the moment Blizzard brought down the law on Nostalrius, the 'vanilla server' talk didn't really differ in intensity from basically every other year, during content droughts.
    Consider the frequency that these threads show up I would say it's safe to assume so, although that doesn't necessarily prove that it has at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Other companies say no for years before finally giving customers what they want - look at Square. They said "no" to a remake of Final Fantasy VII for about 10 years and now they're doing it.
    It's because Nostalgia sells. I know it, you know, everyone in this thread knows it. Unless they have been living in a cardboard box. Some of these people are literally arguing for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Nobody is saying they weren't breaking the law, but that isn't a 'book shut' case. Walmart can sue you if you accidentally break something in the store, you can sue Walmart if you slip on a wet floor. Just because it was legal doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. It's an especially dumb thing for blizzard to do given the 'your best friend in company form' they try to pull off.
    except if a company with a trademark doesent enforce it, they can lose it, also if they let them go unpunished, people will no longer feel the "risk" of hosting/playing these servers, and they could get too big for blizzard to stop later on

except if a company with a trademark doesent enforce it, they can lose it, also if they let them go unpunished, people will no longer feel the "risk" of hosting/playing these servers, and they could get too big for blizzard to stop later on
    And that wouldn't be a problem if they, you know, just made their own. Which is all anyone really wants.

Nobody with any sense is saying that what Nostalrius did was legal. What they are saying is that it's ridiculous for Blizzard to ignore their community. If you want to talk about "lost money for blizz" then ask Blizzard why they refuse to consider legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Nobody with any sense is saying that what Nostalrius did was legal. What they are saying is that it's ridiculous for Blizzard to ignore their community. If you want to talk about "lost money for blizz" then ask Blizzard why they refuse to consider legacy servers.
    Have they ever answered this?
    I speculate they've got the mentality of:
    Move forward, don't look back. Keep evolving. Change for the sake of change. If you're not moving you're dying.

This isn't obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Have they ever answered this?
    I speculate they've got the mentality of:
    Move forward, don't look back. Keep evolving. Change for the sake of change. If you're not moving you're dying.

This isn't obvious?
    lol they're moving and dying anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Razzako View Post
    lol they're moving and dying anyways
    Yes! lol
    They maintain said mentality, still.