Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    It is relevant, you're not qualified to speak about raising children. Its always easy outside looking in. Until you raise a child on your own, you don't know anything.
    My parents have never spanked me. My dad has never employed any form of violence or even angry attitude towards me. I know well that teaching kids through love always renders better results than teaching kids through violence. If you can't deliver your point in a better way than through violence towards a little defenseless creature, then perhaps it is you who isn't quite qualified?

Appeal to experience is silly. People interpret experiences in different ways. A parent who has raised 10 children the wrong way still knows less about parenting than someone who has never had kids and has the right ideas about raising them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I don't. Not that it is relevant in any way.
    Exactly how is not having actual experience with something irrelevant for having a complete and comprehensive understanding of said something?

Nothing is wrong here. He probably did som shit to even deserve the spanking.
    The lack of corporal punishment in many places has a lot to do with why the world is what it is today.
    That was the most gentle ATTEMPT to spank someone i have seen in my life! No1 there deserves to go in any jail. No crime here!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Exactly how is not having actual experience with something irrelevant for having a complete and comprehensive understanding of said something?
    I explained it in the comment above.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was spanked by my parents when I really crossed the line, whats the issue here?? If you misbehave you will get punished, pretty straightforward

10+ Year Old Account
    I explained it in the comment above.
    I saw an argument based purely on your single experience, followed immediately by a dismissal of all personal experiences (I'm guessing apart from your own?), and then topped off with a claim without any form or substance. This is not a compelling argument. It could barely qualify for an expository opening statement even if you phrased it in such a way.

My parents have never spanked me. My dad has never employed any form of violence or even angry attitude towards me. I know well that teaching kids through love always renders better results than teaching kids through violence. If you can't deliver your point in a better way than through violence towards a little defenseless creature, then perhaps it is you who isn't quite qualified?

Appeal to experience is silly. People interpret experiences in different ways. A parent who has raised 10 children the wrong way still knows less about parenting than someone who has never had kids and has the right ideas about raising them.
    As an adult you have many consequences! If u kill = jail, steal = jail, be tardy etc on work = u get fired, etc etc etc.
    Maybe your story is true but id consider that an exception, not the rule.
    If u misbehave as a child you should also have consequences. Stealing from the cookie jar all the way to sneaking out at night shouldnt be met with a light talk about life. All that would teach me is that i have nothing to fear for doing the wrong thing.
    You have your life as an example of why corporal punishment shouldnt be given and my brother is an example of why it definitely should! He is the only one that was brought up in this 'new age' way of things and he is everything thats wrong with society. Ill spare the details but if you think it hes probably into it..
    I know it would never happen but im on the Bring back licks in homes & schools train.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yattz View Post
    As an adult you have many consequences! If u kill = jail, steal = jail, be tardy etc on work = u get fired, etc etc etc.
    Maybe your story is true but id consider that an exception, not the rule.
    If u misbehave as a child you should also have consequences. Stealing from the cookie jar all the way to sneaking out at night shouldnt be met with a light talk about life. All that would teach me is that i have nothing to fear for doing the wrong thing.
    You have your life as an example of why corporal punishment shouldnt be given and my brother is an example of why it definitely should! He is the only one that was brought up in this 'new age' way of things and he is everything thats wrong with society. Ill spare the details but if you think it hes probably into it..
    I know it would never happen but im on the Bring back licks in homes & schools train.......
    Of course children should be taught responsibility. I just think there are better ways to do that than through violence. Kids are not stupid, they don't need a threat of something nasty to be able to understand that doing something is wrong. They definitely don't need to be physically hurt; emotional scars from such experiences go very deep and have a potential to ruin the kid's life in many ways, preventing them from achieving their true potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course children should be taught responsibility. I just think there are better ways to do that than through violence. Kids are not stupid, they don't need a threat of something nasty to be able to understand that doing something is wrong. They definitely don't need to be physically hurt; emotional scars from such experiences go very deep and have a potential to ruin the kid's life in many ways, preventing them from achieving their true potential.
    Not all kids act the same. You can tell a child a 100 times why they shouldn't do something and they'll still do it. What do you do in that instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    Why would she go to jail for truancy, having to stay home to take care of her child is a legitimate reason, where did she get the idea she'd go to jail? What am I missing?
    In the state of Georgia, you can be arrested if your child has too many unexcused absences from school.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    your post/link doesn't verify the legitimacy of their threat of truancy. being suspended is not an unexcused absence.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/m...les-5-y/nq5Js/
    That suspension would have put Shana Marie Perez back in jail for truancy, she said Wednesday. Perez said she was arrested two weeks ago on truancy charges, booked into jail and then released. If her son missed any more school, she said she thought she’d go to jail.

Perez’s son, a 5-year-old Jasper County Primary School student, missed 18 days this school year in part because of doctors appointments that Perez said should have been excused.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2016-04-17 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    In the state of Georgia, you can be arrested if your child has too many unexcused absence from school.
    ROFL, that shit is crazy. Would be so fucking embarrassing to be a victim of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Not all kids act the same. You can tell a child a 100 times why they shouldn't do something and they'll still do it. What do you do in that instance?
    If I run out of ideas, I will ask someone else. I definitely won't be employing violence, because I don't believe that violence can do more harm than good in this scenario.

Besides, if telling a child something 100 times doesn't get through, do you really think that one or two spankings will? Or are you going to spank them every day, until they learn their lesson? That's some sadistic children raising right there.

If I run out of ideas, I will ask someone else. I definitely won't be employing violence, because I don't believe that violence can do more harm than good in this scenario.

Besides, if telling a child something 100 times doesn't get through, do you really think that one or two spankings will? Or are you going to spank them every day, until they learn their lesson? That's some sadistic children raising right there.
    Tell a child not to do something and they do it any way, the child learns they don't have to do what you say. Spank them when they break the rules and they learn actions have consequences. Then reward the child when they behave properly and you will end up with a well behaved child.

Deleted
    So if the kid throws a big tantrum it means he is scarred and traumatized for life and the person responsible for the correction should be thrown in jail. Or maybe the kid cries so hard because he knows that the adults that are supposed to look out for him start throwing rewards at the first sight of a tantrum as he knows that that they are incapable of enforcing any sort of boundaries in any way. I hate myself for saying this but the society nowadays is so full of shit sometimes when it comes to the education of children. It is almost as if the previous generations that raised us were all serial killers and torturers because they were spanked at some point for doing something bad.

As if all children are the same and have no personality of their own and are incapable of seeing their parents for the jokes that they are and just roll over them while the parents keep trying to be their friends. Time always catches up to these kind of people (both parents and kids) usually around the time the kid is supposed to stop being a kid and stand on his own feet, and it isn't pretty as you usually end up with a failed individual for the rest of his life.

My point, don't go talk about throwing people into jail so quick before you understand the whole situation, and don't dismiss some things just because "our grandparents did this", what worked with you might not work with someone else, people are different, no need to raise and encourage a kid with some personality problems by not teaching him the meaning of consequences.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know this may surprise millennials...but paddling in school was totally normal and commonplace in grade and jr. high nationwide at least through the 70's and earlier. When I was in school kids were sent to the principal everyday and were paddled far worse than this. It was during the 80's when attitudes around paddling in school changed pretty quickly and it was gradually phased out. It was kind of a subtle change in trusting schools to share in the parenting of kids since they are there 8+ hours a day, to - you better not touch my kid. I don't think I would want my kids paddled at school now either, but looking back at it I will say the threat of a trip to the principals office or the hallway for a padding definitely helped keep us in line during school. The sound of a paddling whack in the hallway had a powerful effect. And the kid who was being bad that lead to the paddling coming back into class suddenly being good and fighting back tears did the same.

It's so frowned upon and has been for so long that I'm surprised to see it in this recent video, but the calls for arresting the people in the video are equally surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginantonicus View Post
    Tell a child not to do something and they do it any way, the child learns they don't have to do what you say. Spank them when they break the rules and they learn actions have consequences. Then reward the child when they behave properly and you will end up with a well behaved child.
    All they will learn is: if they do this, they will suffer. It doesn't teach them anything about morals, about WHY it is wrong to do something. It just tells them: either don't do that, or you will suffer.

A proper teaching, I think, should let the kid understand WHY doing something is wrong - and then that kid won't want to do it in the first place, without any threats. It is a healthier approach.

10+ Year Old Account
    All they will learn is: if they do this, they will suffer. It doesn't teach them anything about morals, about WHY it is wrong to do something. It just tells them: either don't do that, or you will suffer.

A proper teaching, I think, should let the kid understand WHY doing something is wrong - and then that kid won't want to do it in the first place, without any threats. It is a healthier approach.
    No REAL studies have proven spanking is bad. None whatsoever. If you find one please link it, so far everything has been correlation.

Not all children understand why something is wrong nor do they have the ability too. What they do understand is action and consequence, to some degree. Like I said if you aren't raising a children, you have no qualifications. People who go to school to tell others how to raise kids is a crock of shit too.

Deleted

Reading what you say is almost making me wonder how often are you around kids of the age of the one getting punished in the video. Because you seem to think that all kids are rational and if you explain something well enough to them you will have it your way and everything will be fine. Morals? some kids are smart enough to get it, and that is awesome to have a kid like that, while others are manipulative little shits who are smart enough to play adults into getting their way but not wise enough to think of the morals and long term consequences.
    You try explain morals to some of them to the best of your ability and all they think is "can he/she shut the fuck up already, I'm wasting my time here instead of doing x" because they will know all you do is talk, talk talk talk talk and you are taken even less seriously. I'm not saying this method is effective with everyone but we shouldn't be quick to throw people in jail like this thread started.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Did their god tell them to beat and abuse their children?
    1 smack on the butt with a paddle is hardly abuse.

Deleted
    To be honest kids need to learn like this is wrong you do this correctly, applying violence isn't the way you teach people or kids. And F you do this all you teach them is that when they are wrong your willing to hurt them, instead of telling them to stay in room, have time out or rather something which won't leave them hating you. And I can tell most people will disagree here but as someone who had this at one time, I can say it's not the right path, it doesn't make you better and it doesn't help kids, if you think that's the case then God help this world.