Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    There are tons of great ideas to be discussed.
    As Anthene mention in the video he posted today WOW has so much untapped potential - so much more could be done with WOW as its fanbase it bigger than its subscriber base

To whomever reads this post. If you buy into any of the nonsense thrown around about legacy progression servers not being an investment worthwhile, you are simply a clueless ape lacking logic and reasoning skills. Go eat some termite larvae, figuring out how to break open a termite nest may push your intellectual boundaries to the point to where... fk it, this'll go over your head... nvm.

Mod Edit: Keep it civil.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2016-04-17 at 09:00 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    I can see this going a few different ways.

Start from vanilla and work up.
    People have played WoW for 10+ years.
    If their were progressive servers, I think we could have another 10+ years of WoW.
    Basically starting all the way over. But have a schedule of planned release date for each major patch and expansion.
    No surprises, and content delivered at a consistent rate.

Seasons
    Reset the server every x years.
    Would kinda suck if you just about the beat Naxx40 and a server reset was imminent.
    Some people like this idea. Personally, it's not my favorite.

Server transfers
    Have Vanilla/TBC/WotLK/Cata/MoP/WoD servers.
    When you reach max level on a server you can transfer your char to the next level.
    This would allow players to stay on a specific version if they want. Or move up.
    Basically everyone plays the server type they like best.
    This is what I wish Blizzard would do.

????
    I don't know.
    There are tons of great ideas to be discussed.
    Out of all those option 3 is good the only problem would be is how much Blizz would milk the transfer from one server to the next.. As we know it costs $25 USD to transfer from one normal server to the next.. So if they did that with option 3 they would be raking it in so to speak..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    lol you never proved anything right. Idc about proving you wrong, doesn't mean you aren't. Saying you can just play vanilla in retail is ridiculous. That was more possible in BC, maybe early Wrath. Not anymore.
    Oh I see, you think I said something I didn't, now it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Mythic raiding devauled by LFR? What does that even mean?
    I don't know wtf else he's talking about (as in regards to diversity because, well, lol) but here maybe I can flesh it out a bit. I haven't done Mythics in WoD and it's because I'm honestly just over the ridiculous number of times you have to do the same bosses. Normal, then heroic, then finally the "real" one is just a grind. It's something that started to wear on me to a lesser degree in Wrath, even. I went from clearing Sunwell after slowly but surely slogging through to tier 9's insistance on starting with easy mode and THEN the real one. Sarth in t7 was good. The three adds brought enough to the fight that you truly felt as though 3D was a different experience. Assembly of Iron was kinda "eh," but I was RL and at least laying out the healing strat was fun. Mimiron was a legitimate blast, the other keepers were your basic "do betterer" and Yogg, while very difficult, still felt like the same fight. Then with t9 forward you get the first glimpse of the current model - "do betterer +" I did it again in Cata and MoP (ToT though, you're right in a later post, was tops - one of their best patches overall in years).

That process isn't any fun to some people, and I lean toward the belief that it's less fun for many of those still enjoying it just based on the nerd scream when you down Mythic anything vs just a regular old Brutallus guild first kill back in the day. Or any of those tier defining bosses from expansion's past. Adding a third time to the process is even less appealing.

Honestly I wouldn't even be asking for legacy if they'd just do Mythic Realms or something. A place where LFR/G isn't a thing, a leaner but more difficult progression curve is the norm, toss heroic dungeons out entirely since mythic is the new heroic there too, and let people's gear grind go normals -> mythic dungeons -> mythic raids. And the old content wouldn't be immediately replaced by the new since people would still have to, for example, farm Highmaul/Blackhand for the equipment needed to progress in HFC. It would still suck to lose other things they've butchered like real professions but there's plenty about the current game that I do like. This bloated endgame is not it though. The numerous tiers of gear within the actual raid tiers make it flow like a walk up some stairs instead of scaling walls. It can be just as long without 3-4 "firsts" on the same bosses, taking the flavor out of the whole thing.

I think that's the heart of this argument though - more than a time where my main is useless (an enh shaman since vanilla who barely raided then and was lucky enough to secure the single spot available in a guild in BC) and everything looked bad, I miss the more difficult structure. They can have their cake and eat it too, and the whole "don't want to split the player base" argument loses more and more weight with every person who unsubscribes. The player base is more split than ever, with a huge number playing on servers that don't even belong to Blizzard.

And no, it's not just because they're free - stop kidding yourselves. That's coming from a place where you're taking it personally that many people don't like what you like, so there has to be something deviant about them for the situation to make sense to a lot of you. There's nothing deviant. They like apples, you like oranges, and there's no need for a war about it. We can have both, if this fucking fruit vendor would stop being stubborn and stock them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Cro Threadstrong did 9/11.

7+ Year Old Account
    894 pages later and accomplished nothing. Blizzard doesn't care about our opinions. I thought we knew this by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselden View Post
    894 pages later and accomplished nothing. Blizzard doesn't care about our opinions. I thought we knew this by now.
    Caring about your opinion isn't the same as acquiescing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    There are plenty of other vanilla private servers, it's just very small and very vocal minority, that is upset that they can't sell their no-effort-to-make accounts with bot-leveled 60s on them for 150$
    Vocal minority for what exactly? Is this just random things people spew when in disagreement? I find it more odd that it was just thrown out in an argument there is no majority or minority that matters. There is only numbers of people wanting that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plaguestorm View Post
    yes issue is that the amount of people isent enough

from what we have seen there is MAX of about 400k people who would pay to play a vanilla server FOR FREE let alone 15$ a month

also how many of these 400k people would be willing to stay more then a few months? or wouldent leave as soon as they are wearing full BIS and notice "wait.... nothing new is EVER going to come out" THAT is the reason why blizzard wont do it
    Well I think the other side finally cracked. This guy just made several posts with fabricated info I can't even find on a Google search. This must be saying something. Desperate for what exactly? What do you gain from making up things like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Nobody took thousands of dollars in donations? Nobody profited. (Aside from the hosting company, I guess.)
    Profit isn't the point. Donations were used to cover costs that would need to be paid out of the admins' own pocket. So there was benefit to them. Everyone talking about profit exclusively is missing the point.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Profit isn't the point. Donations were used to cover costs that would need to be paid out of the admins' own pocket. So there was benefit to them. Everyone talking about profit exclusively is missing the point.
    True though at the end of the day people just want to enjoy wow in the manner they believe is best. I know I will never get the quality experience of tbc or vanilla again so I enjoy private servers.

My advice to people who get into them is to treat them like a rental. Everything on them can disappear in a instant so enjoy your time while your there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Profit is absolutely the point. It was not a profit seeking enterprise, it was a non-profit project. It is a fundamental difference the same way there is a fundamental difference in legislation/tax codes/etc. between corporations and non-profit organizations. Whether they got donations or some admins decided to pay some costs is completely besides the point.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Profit is absolutely the point. It was not a profit seeking enterprise, it was a non-profit project.
    You talk about it like it's a some kind of humane association.

I've never heard of a pirate server charging a fee. Do they? Surely you'd have to be insane to PAY to use a pirate server. This is the norm and not something you can laud Nostralius for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Because they dont get a job otherwise?
    Because they have ZERO clue how Blizzards Network in 2016 works AT ALL? Because you hire the thief breaking into your home to manage security?
    Or is the answer simple as
    1. Don `t know if they get a job otherwise ... ask them.
    2. Of course they don `t know how the internal network works. No one joining Blizzard does that. That`s what further training is for.
    3. There is a demand for vanilla servers. If they ever plan on opening some, a good economic opportunity for them would be to hire the nostalrius team.

Ohh .. and no, i ´m not a fan of vanilla - or private servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haselden View Post

How do you know? Blizzard does listen. The idea that blizzard doesn't listen to it's playerbase is false. It's just that they often don't know who to listen to or how to interpret what the community wants.

Like, i'm pretty sure blizzard is going to atleast consider doing legacy servers now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post
    How do you know? Blizzard does listen. The idea that blizzard doesn't listen to it's playerbase is false. It's just that they often don't know who to listen to or how to interpret what the community wants.

Like, i'm pretty sure blizzard is going to atleast consider doing legacy servers now.
    They considered it a long time ago and decided they want WoW to constantly evolve and move forward. Dumping resources into legacy/progression servers doesn't help that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeshiro View Post
    That sounds like something that someone with no job or responsibilities would do. Good job being an unpaid snitch.
    Oh man, you got me. I couldn't possibly have a job, girlfriend or other responsibilities in the 3-5 minute time frame it takes to do that on Twitch! Woe is me, woe is me...

Depends on the issue. After 10+ years of saying no, I think that should let people know what their position on it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burts View Post

They've discussed and considered it internally many times. Once reality sets in where these legacy realms would have to adhere to both modern and their own industry standards it's a fuck ton more than "lol just 500$ a month"
    But I'm not seeing anyone try to discuss the technical or logistical matters on how these legacy realms would work in practice, with the Bnet launcher, with the network infrastructure in general, account data, the proposed server jumping between different expansions (how do you jump from one expansion to another while making sure everything stays the way it should? where are the systems to make sure this is feasible?), should these servers have GM support? bug fixing?
    Current day systems that simply wouldn't work on legacy realms, well time to develop those for backward compitability.

It's painfully obvious that people who seem to think this would be a small undertaking to work just because Nost made it work as a separate entity, have given this near zero thought. I almost wish Blizzard would release a giant statement on how much work legacy realm would ACTUALLY mean in practice, just to shut down the smug cloud of naiveness that poisons this topic, but that would kinda give too much credibility.
    Or do they genuinely think Blizzard would open a little corner room, put 5 servers in there, launch a server client for 1.12, 2.4 etc, put a Blizzard Seal of Approval sticker on them, and rake in the money?

And what a promising demographic: The people who wants to re-live their first MMO experience from a decade ago and then most leave shortly after. What was the Nost retention rate again? On a FREE server?

I can't see any way for legacy realms to be profitable. Well, at least not if they are to have any support whatsoever.

tl;dr official legacy realms are a shit ton more expensive and need of development time to work today than people want to admit.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-04-17 at 10:44 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    They haven't said 'no' just "when WoD was in decline". They have said no ever since The Burning Crusade expansion. Year after year, the same question asked, getting the same answer.
    Yes, but it's a matter of timing too. You don't release a legacy server when your game is young. But World of Warcraft isn't young anymore. It's been over ten years now and in term of timeline, legacy servers make sense.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demos89 View Post
    They considered it a long time ago and decided they want WoW to constantly evolve and move forward. Dumping resources into legacy/progression servers doesn't help that.
    You can keep these 2 things completely seperated tho.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Compelling argument. Good points to consider. I like the way you used logic to explain your thought process. Your intelligence is admirable.

(Don't be so toxic. It's quite unnecessary.)
    Why do I need to use logic? It's pretty obvious to anyone with a brain that if you are playing a game in vanilla state that you have serious mental issues/autism anyway. Not worth anyone's time especially my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcoffin View Post
    What a grown-up thing to say.

Nostalgia was the first thing that got me to Nostalrius. The sense of a community is why I stayed and got me hooked to a 10 year old game again.
    You can have your community of people that live in the past pretending that everything is okay when it's not. Similar to some retarded cult. Rest of the world moves on and looks down on you folks and it's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If your the opposite of the ''nostalgia losers'', I'd rather be a nostalgia loser any time.
    Good. Stay there and stay the hell away from those of us that actually understand what moving on in the passing of time actually means.

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    It's actually more than Nostalgia. That seems to be the only argument of why you think people enjoyed this server. Also, It's ironic calling someone a loser over the internet and telling them they're the one who needs to grow up. Lmao
    I mean, stating facts is a pretty adult thing to do is it not? Sorry that it rustled your feathers dude. Move on it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Calling a group of people losers and taking enjoyment from people losing their server and then ends it all with telling others to grow up.
    Sheesh, same as the previous response not even worth responding to.

My point in simpliest form just so even the autists can understand:

By enabling yourself and others to indulge to play a lesser version of a game simply because of nostalgia factor you are essentially showcasing to the world that you are immature, and unable to move on because of social memories. It shows that you value said social memories far more than you place value in building new bridges and moving forward and it's pretty pitiful.

There's literally no argument you people can say other than social community yadda yadda nonsense for why you play that crap version of this game. You wanna know something funny? I played Vanilla, I raided AQ40 where having to farm Nature resistance was the norm. I was at the Gates. I know, I get it. But you don't get me or my point. And that is why it's funny to me. Carry on.