Recent front page builds good for streaming?

As the title says, I saw the builds on the front page the other day, and I was wondering if they were good for streaming? CSGO, OW, Hots, etc.

If not, what would you upgrade?

The I5 6600k is a fine CPU for entry level streaming. With the proper setting in OBS you should be able to stream most games especially the ones you listed.

I would prefer to step it up higher then entry level then. Just in case ya know? What would be the next step, mid tier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kruor View Post
    I would prefer to step it up higher then entry level then. Just in case ya know? What would be the next step, mid tier?
    A Xeon E3 or a consumer grade i7. Due to HT solely. But you can very well stream offloading to the GPU these days so this CPU argument is debatable...

The setups are more than enough to stream most games at 720p 60 fps. There is really no reason to go above that if you are not partnered because most people won't be able to watch the stream because of no transcoding. When unpartnered you also have lower prio on the twitch servers making the stream laggy if you would stream on 1080p 3500 bit rate.
    The next step would be to get partnered and then get a second streaming PC. Then all you have to focus on your gaming PC is that it can play the games on their highest settings.

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by HT.

So off this list below (from the front page) Just the CPU upgrade? Anything else?
    Corsair Air 540 - $110
    EVGA G2 650W - $100
    Intel 6600K - $240
    Noctua 6 NH-D15 - $89
    ASUS Z170-A - $162
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - $75
    GTX 970 - $304
    Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black - $123
    SSD Crucial BX200 250GB - $65
    OR
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB - $88 SanDisk Extreme PRO 240GB - $110
    OR
    SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB - $121
    Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $21
    $1289 - 1345

Being partnered increases your quality more than any upgrade on that list.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by HT.
    Hyperthreading

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Hyperthreading
    Thanks, quickly googled and now know what you mean =)

Could you link the processor for me? Wanting to make sure I get the right one!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, would the heatsink change?

10+ Year Old Account
    Going Skylake i7 route means going overpriced route and for a Xeon E3 you'd need to change the mobo as well. The 970 is also arguably a bad purchase now, Nvidia is supposed to release new products soon if you like them.

- - - Updated - - -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.24 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.89 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.11 @ Mac Mall)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1073.64
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 16:45 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.89 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.11 @ Mac Mall)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1273.91
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 16:53 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-04-17 at 08:59 PM.

Going Skylark i7 route means going overpriced route and for a Xeon E3 you'd need to change the novo as well. The 970 is also arguably a bad purchase now, Nvidia is supposed to release new products soon if you like them.
    While Shadowplay and the NVEC codec is nice for recording, it isnt as good for streaming as x264. Simply because you need a higher bitrate with NVEC to hit the same quality as x264. And seeing as you're limited to a certain bitrate at twitch(especially when non partered) you're beter off investing into a cpu for x264 encoding. So if people like the OP want to invest money into getting hardware for streaming an Skylake i7 isnt an overpriced route. So it all depends on the budget.

As said i5 6600k is a nice entry level cpu for streaming but if you want to spend more money the i7 6700k(4cores 8 Threads) or the i7 5820(6 cores 12 threads) are nice choices.

CPU upgrade won't mean much because of Quick Sync. The 970 can run everything on your list of games on highest setting but this is the part you would benefit the most on upgrading though, the next step would be either the 980 ti or the next gen cards.

Seriously the only real upgrade is a dual pc streaming setup.

- - - Updated - - -

SNIP
    These are not really good builds. The i7-6700K is a better purchase because it's better for gaming. Even the i5-6600K will be better than the i7-5820k. The difference in CPU doesn't matter much for streaming without a partnership. The best increase to make the stream look good is to increase game performance.

Seriously OP, here is a list of how you should go about it.
    • Make the game run as good as possible.
    • Use quick sync with an intel processor to help offload the streaming load.
    • When you have made partner buy a second PC dedicated to running the stream.
    • Upgrade your gaming PC to godmode tier.
    Last edited by Lillpapps; 2016-04-17 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    These are not really good builds. The i7-6700K is a better purchase because it's better for gaming. Even the i5-6600K will be better than the i7-5820k. The difference in CPU doesn't matter much for streaming without a partnership. The best increase to make the stream look good is to increase game performance.
    No. The CPU is utterly irrelevant for gaming and even a Pentium would give him the exact same results. They're not better or worse for gaming, they're exactly the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Only if you are playing games that aren't gpu intensive.
    He's playing "CSGO, OW, Hots, etc". So I guess yeah, not gpu intensive.

No. The CPU is utterly irrelevant for gaming and even a Pentium would give him the exact same results. They're not better or worse for gaming, they're exactly the same thing.
    The CPU hardly matter for either streaming or gaming but less and faster cores are better than more and slower. Faster core speed is better for gaming than having more cores. The CPU is utterly irrelevant for 720p streaming. Any strong GAMING rig can stream. Even my old i5-3570k can stream any game on his list at 60 fps 720p 3500 bit rate which is the most you will ever be able to get out of a twitch stream without being partnered. A 1080p 30 fps stream on lower bit rate looks worse than 720p 3500 bit rate. And to stream on 1080p 60 fps you will need a second PC. Spending that extra cash on a good microphone is a better investment when it comes to streaming than a slightly better CPU.

Unless you are streaming as a job, in which case you should really try and figure out why you need certain parts and what type of computer you need to stream instead of asking here, any modern gaming rig is absolutely fine for streaming. Just install OBS, enable quick sync, downscale to 720p and set bit rate to 3500 or as high as your upload allows you and start streaming. There really isn't a huge requirement to streaming.
    Last edited by Lillpapps; 2016-04-17 at 09:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yep, but your point is that the cpu debate is somewhat passe. It isn't except in specific cases.
    Context. And that's exactly why I talked about HT in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    The CPU hardly matter for either streaming or gaming but less and faster cores are better than more and slower.
    IPC difference is ~5% and both can OC well. They're literally the same thing even for CPU-bound games like WoW.
    Faster core speed is better for gaming than having more cores.
    Yes but we're not talking about meaningfully faster cores. We're talking about more cores of the same speed. They're both unlocked CPUs, you can OC both. The fact that the 6700K comes at a higher clock by default is irrelevant. In fact this entire discussion is pointless, OP is fine with a 6600K or even a 6500.