Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The thing is, surely you have a PC in the house anyway so the cost of the system is moot.
    This is what I always thought. Pretty much everyone has a PC/Mac. It's nearly required in today's age. Why not invest more money into that so you've got a faster computer for standard tasking as well as gaming?

The only upside of consoles is that they're plug'n'play. Literally the only upside. Because of that it's much more accessible. But if you invest just a tiny amount of effort into researching on how to set up a PC, or even easier, ask for help on forums (You can literally go to the MMO-C computer section to ask for help for a build in your budget range and specifications), you'll have a beast of a computer that will last you a long time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    And? Bungie is strange lately. They made a game that would fit nicely on PC, but never released for PC. I know they don't like PC. A few years ago one of their developers talked about how PC gaming was dead. Destiny was also another PS3/360 game that got ported. Not that PC owners are missing anything.

Arkham Knight is a good example of how developers have treated PC gaming for a long time, since Vista. Considering how much attention the game grabbed for this port, we'll probably see a lot less of these for PC.
    Dude, they can't even be bother to QA the PC release, do you really think Rocksteady's publisher gives a shit?

PC gaming is dead. The moment consoles got FPSs, PC went into decline as they lost their stranglehold over that genre.

In hindsight, Halo was the beginning of the end for PCs.

The rise of PC as a mainstream gaming platform I believe is primarily thanks to Doom and the genre it spawned. Once PC lost that exclusivity, it was over. Now it's slowly sliding back into being a niche platform that it always was pre-Doom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    The only upside of consoles is that they're plug'n'play. Literally the only upside. Because of that it's much more accessible. But if you invest just a tiny amount of effort into researching on how to set up a PC, or even easier, ask for help on forums (You can literally go to the MMO-C computer section to ask for help for a build in your budget range and specifications), you'll have a beast of a computer that will last you a long time.
    See here is the thing, people don't want to.

People have enough shit in their lives to deal with. They don't want to add more BS to worry about.

They don't want to deal with anti-social geeks on computer forums - I had a pretty bad personal experience; they keep asking me for my price range, despite the fact that I don't live in the US thus part price and availability won't match their recommendations, my requests for actual information about "what is what" go unanswered and they just keep badgering me about "price range".
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

The PCMR is a group of people trying desperately to justify how much they've spent on a gaming box that will be obsolete in 3 years, while thinking up reasons not to spend any money on games.

Just ignore them. They're simply another faction of fanboys.

PC will always be best, beste hardware, best hardware innovations, best everything. However, that doesn't mean its best for you, some people like to sit on the couch and play games with a controller while others with mouse and keyboard. But that doesn't change the fact the pc will always be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Dude, they can't even be bother to QA the PC release, do you really think Rocksteady's publisher gives a shit?

PC gaming is dead. The moment consoles got FPSs, PC went into decline as they lost their stranglehold over that genre.

In hindsight, Halo was the beginning of the end for PCs.

The rise of PC as a mainstream gaming platform I believe is primarily thanks to Doom and the genre it spawned. Once PC lost that exclusivity, it was over. Now it's slowly sliding back into being a niche platform that it always was pre-Doom.

- - - Updated - - -

People have enough shit in their lives to deal with. They don't want to add more BS to worry about.

They don't want to deal with anti-social geeks on computer forums - I had a pretty bad personal experience; they keep asking me for my price range, despite the fact that I don't live in the US thus part price and availability won't match their recommendations, my requests for actual information about "what is what" go unanswered and they just keep badgering me about "price range".
    So much ridiculous hyperbole here that it's hard to take this post seriously. PC gaming is dead? Ok bud, people have only been beating that drum for about 20 years.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    So much ridiculous hyperbole here that it's hard to take this post seriously. PC gaming is dead? Ok bud, people have only been beating that drum for about 20 years.
    It's not "dead" but it has not been anywhere close to being as big as console gaming for 20 years. PC gaming popularity lies with mobas, RTSs and some other ridiculously lightweight games.

In the big scheme nobody cares about AAA gaming at PC, and it's pretty much "dead" in comparison. Intel probably has 80% of the GPU market-share by now.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    It's relatively dead. Dead enough the major publishers can't be assed to do QA on their PC ports.

Batman: Arkham Knight
    Battlefield 4

These aren't some small indie studios. These are multi-billion dollar corporations releasing broke as fuck PC ports because they simply don't care enough.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Console gamers often argue, that PCs and it's gaming is expensive. Often in a way, that makes PC gamers stupid, as they "mindlesly throwing money down the toilet for no reason". Charts, such as this one, are just to counter stupid arguments with another stupid argument - move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    That just included micro transactions...

PC sales has been on a decline since the last two years where as PS4/Xbone are gaining higher sales than before, well not sure about Xbone.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-04-17 at 07:44 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say "PC gamers" or "any specific group" makes charts like this.

Other than a very very select few people who feel like they need to reaffirm their purchase being good to both themselves and others.

Console gamers do this shit too.

It's stupid - on both ends.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted

You tend to get out of online advice what you put in.

It's true that 90% of the time on computer fora they will just fill up the budget you provide, so it can be annoying if you don't know what a good amount of money to spend is for the performance you are looking for, but if you give a rough idea and a local site people can work with for prices, you can often find someone willing to help.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    You tend to get out of online advice what you put in.

It's true that 90% of the time on computer fora they will just fill up the budget you provide, so it can be annoying if you don't know what a good amount of money to spend is for the performance you are looking for, but if you give a rough idea and a local site people can work with for prices, you can often find someone willing to help.
    I was hoping for a real discussion about the pros and cons of various components. So I can pick and choose what I feel is important to me based on cost and part availability.

They just keep nagging me about my "price range" and won't explain shit.

I learned more just buy randomly googling crap.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping for a real discussion about the pros and cons of various components. So I can pick and choose what I feel is important to me based on cost and part availability.

They just keep nagging me about my "price range" and won't explain shit.

I learned more just buy randomly googling crap.
    Tell people where you live and unless you live somewhere like North Korea, we can typically find what parts are available to you there.

Also, this is usually how people make subpar computers for the price - they go based on their heart instead of what has been tried, tested, and proven by countless nerds online, including massive amounts of benchmarks showing what parts will do best in what games, etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Tell people where you live and unless you live somewhere like North Korea, we can typically find what parts are available to you there.

Also, this is usually how people make subpar computers for the price - they go based on their heart instead of what has been tried, tested, and proven by countless nerds online, including massive amounts of benchmarks showing what parts will do best in what games, etc.
    90% of the recommendations:

i5 6500/6600k
    8/16gb ddr4 crucial
    1tb WD blue
    250gb Samsung 850 EVO
    R9 380 / R9 390
    EVGA/Seasonic 500~600W PSU

It's really not hard to recommend stuff, it's really rarely needed to go outside of this listed above.

All of my friends that have consoles pay full retail to pre-order the game and buy them on release day. Friends spent $65 on fallout 4 and dark souls 3. I spent $45 on both.

Is it too hard to actually want to help a person? My friends thought that because I spent $1500 on my PC that it costs that much for everyone.
    They also didn't know you could actually use a tv for your PC.
    They didn't know you could use any controller of your choice on a PC.
    They thought PC gaming was nothing but World of Warcraft and Minecraft. They had no idea what Steam was.

And after adding it up they've spent WAY more than me on their Xbox one alone since they got it. Course, they got it on release for $500 for the console but still... Can't someone be all "Consoles have a place, but unless you're getting exclusives, PC is generally cheaper"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    And after adding it up they've spent WAY more than me on their Xbox one alone since they got it. Course, they got it on release for $500 for the console but still... Can't someone be all "Consoles have a place, but unless you're getting exclusives, PC is generally cheaper"?
    This thing can play almost any game at 1080p with very, very satisfactory performance just fine and arguably isn't that much more expensive whatsoever.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($23.26 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $482.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-17 19:44 EDT-0400

Like rly, people exaggerate a lot about this price argument. And you could still go cheaper with a quad core FX that will do just fine at most games.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's relatively dead. Dead enough the major publishers can't be assed to do QA on their PC ports.

Batman: Arkham Knight
    Battlefield 4

These aren't some small indie studios. These are multi-billion dollar corporations releasing broke as fuck PC ports because they simply don't care enough.
    Games like Batman suffer because of Nvidia's involvement with GameWorks. Traditionally, developers always get help with their PC games, but Nvidia hasn't been doing much help in this department. It's a problem where you have too many people involved and assume someone else will take responsibility. Not a problem console owners have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That just included micro transactions...

PC sales has been on a decline since the last two years where as PS4/Xbone are gaining higher sales than before, well not sure about Xbone.
    So bad that EA makes far more money on PC than on consoles. Consoles are 41% of EA’s entire income. PC is 21%. Though more than likely the PS4 is more than half of the 41%. PC sales are not in decline, but on the rise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    It's not "dead" but it has not been anywhere close to being as big as console gaming for 20 years. PC gaming popularity lies with mobas, RTSs and some other ridiculously lightweight games.

In the big scheme nobody cares about AAA gaming at PC, and it's pretty much "dead" in comparison. Intel probably has 80% of the GPU market-share by now.
    Intel has always had 80% of teh GPU market share. Why you think Valve worked with Intel to bring Vulkan to Intel graphics? Because no matter how much anyone favors AMD or Nvidia, the real winner is still Intel. But as I explained, PC gaming is actually approaching PS4 in sales. XB1 is really not a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The PCMR is a group of people trying desperately to justify how much they've spent on a gaming box that will be obsolete in 3 years, while thinking up reasons not to spend any money on games.

Just ignore them. They're simply another faction of fanboys.
    The truth is PC hardware hasn't evolved like it used to. Because of this a Intel 2500K with a Radeon HD 5870 will have no problem playing todays games with medium settings. And that's nearly 5 year old hardware. GTX 970 and R9 390 owners will likely still be using their graphic cards for another 3 years, unless you want the latest and greatest so your epeen doesn't get small.

They don't because PC gaming has been in decline since Vista. But for the past couple of years, it caught up to the PS4. Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition was released with zero fucks given. A quick cash grab because the game didn't do so well on console. The graphics were crap, and the mouse and keyboard controls were broken. You needed DSfix to correct all that. But because the reception was so high on PC, that Dark Souls is now a thing and gained massive popularity.

PC gamers are willing to deal with bugs and issues, and developers know this. Also, PC hardware is already overkill that badly optimized code wasn't an issue either. That's changed obviously. Nobody has time to deal with bugs now that PC gaming is on par with PS4 in terms of sales.
    PC went into decline back when Vista was released, and nobody was going to use Vista to get DX10. Also the 360 and PS3 were so powerful that it made no sense to game on a PC. It was far more economical to buy a Xbox 360 and game on that.

That's obviously change since.

Before Doom there was no PC gaming. Technically there was nothing before Wolfenstein 3D, but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    So bad that EA makes far more money on PC than on consoles. Consoles are 41% of EA’s entire income. PC is 21%. Though more than likely the PS4 is more than half of the 41%. PC sales are not in decline, but on the rise.
    PS4/Xbone sales not consoles. 65% from this and last generation of consoles. Read the article, not the headline if you're going to use it. 65% > 21% by more than 3x.
    When I said PC sales I meant hardware, bad wording on my part.

In $$$ maybe but not in "Will this game work on my PC? How will it run? OK, why isn't it working? Do I wait for a patch? Driver update? Is there some stupid configuration I have to change?" fashion.
    In the past I would've agreed with you. These days consoles have shitloads of driver/patch/etc issues too!

They've steadily evolved from standalone purpose-built game machines (with no ability to patch or update drivers) to mini-PCs.

I mean yes they are still more uniform than PCs but that advantage is a pretty marginal these days. The biggest reason to get a console is exclusives. And bad PC ports. Neither of which would exist in an ideal world...

- - - Updated - - -

Before Doom there was no PC gaming. Technically there was nothing before Wolfenstein 3D, but whatever.
    King's Quest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.