Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Should I buy WOD or just base WOW and wait for Legion???

Hi guys,

I'm just about to get into WOW but I'm kinda confused. I know that Legion is coming out in September so should I buy the base WOW game but not WOD and just wait for Legion or should I buy both WOW and WOD and just play it until Sept?

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Danguar

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any friends in-game? If you do, I highly recommend buying Legion now, since that will allow you to bypass leveling and join them in end-game, getting used to the mechanics. If you don't want to do that, you can just buy the base game for now, level up, and decide what you want to do later. You don't have to commit to anything right away.

I'd recommend just buying wow and taking you time leveling. Don't rush it and enjoy the slow course. If the past is any indication, WoD should become free shortly after Legion comes out, allowing you to ugrade to legion asap and save the money that you'd have invested in wow.
    If you come from other MMOs aiming for endgame pvp/raiding however, WoD is the only way to go, end game content from previous expansions is pretty much dead

Deleted
    Thanks guys- I think I'm just going to buy the base game just now as I currently don't have anyone to play with and it helps me save money!!

Yeah i expect another sale near legion launch, base game usually goes for $5 and wod $10 (its like $15 now though with a lvl 90 boost)

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Best not to get Legion until you see the final product, and better yet, see what people have to say about it first. Often what Blizz says and what they end up doing are entirely different.

Here's your best plan of attack. The Warcraft movie will be released in 2 months. Blizzard will run some kind of promotion, at the very least there will a huge sale on Vanilla Wow - WOD, there is even a possibility they will give the core game away for free with a movie tkt purchase. I am not speculating the latter, you can do a Google search and see the articles from reliable sources.

Keep in mind you'll need to pay a sub fee if you buy the game. My best advice is - be patient - kick start a free trial and play a few classes in game. Get a taste, kick the tires a bit and see what you enjoy most. The core game of WOW is the end game, either PVP or PVE, so treat the lower level process with a grain of salt. Leveling up to max free trial level, level 20 will take about 4-5 hours. Then, I suggest trying out another class in game. Each time you level up and progress things, will go faster and faster cause you're gaining XP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danguar View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm just about to get into WOW but I'm kinda confused. I know that Legion is coming out in September so should I buy the base WOW game but not WOD and just wait for Legion or should I buy both WOW and WOD and just play it until Sept?

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
    Danguar
    Well, if you wait, then you have to buy WoW, WoD and Legion (for now) as we don't know when WoD will be part of the battle chest. Oh, and there's a chance of losing the character boost once it's added to the battlechet, I guess.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Do you have any friends in-game? If you do, I highly recommend buying Legion now, since that will allow you to bypass leveling and join them in end-game, getting used to the mechanics.
    This really makes me sad. There is a huge game world in WoW, but the only thing that actually matters is the tiny bit of current end-game content. In the current design all that has become a nuisance with no value. The whole design is just so fundamentally broken that I really can't recommend the game to anyone anymore.

In the old WoW you had a huge world of content, all relevant and meaningful. Sure you couldn't just jump to the end game to play with your "friends", but your friends could roll and alt with you, and you would actually make new friends while playing. But not in today's WoW. You pay to get boosted to the current raid instance, and that's all there is to the game.

Deleted
    Seems like very mixed opinions- think I'm just going to get the base game!

Deleted
    join and buy as much tokens as you can!

Wait for legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    join and buy as much tokens as you can!
    Waiting for Legion to buy tokens is the smart Idea, though I guess he could now and save some money until Legion where about a week after release the tokens will drop down to 20k or less (NA)

Seems you made up your mind already. I agree with waiting until Legion comes out just get the base game for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Best not to get Legion until you see the final product, and better yet, see what people have to say about it first. Often what Blizz says and what they end up doing are entirely different.
    Whatever you do though don't listen to this guy or anyone else like him. The game in general is very well polished and well made given how old it is. Do not let outside angry people influence you on what you do. Play the game yourself and see if you enjoy it and then play it if you wish. The WoW community and especially the community here really dislikes the direction of WoW but you must know that it is for extremely immature reasons often due to nostalgia. Game is great. Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Wait for legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting for Legion to buy tokens is the smart Idea, though I guess he could now and save some money until Legion where about a week after release the tokens will drop down to 20k or less (NA)
    In a year people that are capped at the 36 token mark will be able to buy them again and the price is going to sky rocket. Mix in that we will no longer have the garrisons making hundreds of thousands of gold for people and paying less now while gold is easier to be made is clearly smarter. Since the OP is a new player working out the garrison gold grind isn't something that a new player will probably be too wrapped up in.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    In a year people that are capped at the 36 token mark will be able to buy them again and the price is going to sky rocket. Mix in that we will no longer have the garrisons making hundreds of thousands of gold for people and paying less now while gold is easier to be made is clearly smarter. Since the OP is a new player working out the garrison gold grind isn't something that a new player will probably be too wrapped up in.
    Tokens are going to go down because people are going to need gold for those pretty shiny epics, they explained how it works a billion times, the more tokens that are put onto the auction house the cheaper they become, also you can only have 10 tokens at a time per month now.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2016-04-18 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    Whatever you do though don't listen to this guy or anyone else like him. The game in general is very well polished and well made given how old it is. Do not let outside angry people influence you on what you do. Play the game yourself and see if you enjoy it and then play it if you wish. The WoW community and especially the community here really dislikes the direction of WoW but you must know that it is for extremely immature reasons often due to nostalgia. Game is great. Enjoy it!

"Outside angry people"? wtf? Firstly, I based my opinion on the obvious stuff that we've all seen Blizz do over the years; whether some want to admit it or not doesn't make me "angry people", it's just the truth. And I don't have nostalgia about it, again it's just what we've seen the game morph into. Immature? Hardly. I'm over 50 and don't have that problem, thanks.

Anyone that has known WoW for awhile should know not to listen to the hype that Blizz routinely puts out. That's just being smarter than the hype, especially since WoD. Better to wait and see what Legion is before you put down the money for it.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2016-04-18 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Tokens are going to go down because people are going to need gold for those pretty shiny epics, they explained how it works a billion times, the more tokens that are put onto the auction house the cheaper they become, also you can only have 10 tokens at a time now.
    I know how the ebb and flow of token prices work. Thanks to 2 years of garrisons making people millions of gold mixed with the lull of content, people are going into Legion gold capped multiple time. You can buy 36 tokens over a 24 month period. So there is a chance tokens will dip briefly in cost, but as we roll back around to April next year the price is going to fly back up from all the people that have tokens spots opening back up. The cap of 10 tokens is over a 7 day stretch, so you can't buy more then 10 in a 7 day period, on the 8th day you could buy more though. I for one bought 9 the first month you could get them and as long as I could snip a few cheap ones I would buy new ones putting me back at the 36 cap as soon as possible. The biggest flaw in your assumption that the tokens will cut in more then half of the current rate is that gold will go to somebody else who will buy up more stuff with that gold. It isn't leaving the market it will in most if not all cases be injected right back in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    Seems you made up your mind already. I agree with waiting until Legion comes out just get the base game for now.

Waiting to see more of the finished product is just good advice. It doesn't imply that it wont be a good product but there is no reason to assume it will be, even less of a reason as a new player. So you can get the base version now and go from there. If the OP like the game then they can keep upgrading as they move along and meet people in game and have fun.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I know how the ebb and flow of token prices work. Thanks to 2 years of garrisons making people millions of gold mixed with the lull of content, people are going into Legion gold capped multiple time. You can buy 36 tokens over a 24 month period. So there is a chance tokens will dip briefly in cost, but as we roll back around to April next year the price is going to fly back up from all the people that have tokens spots opening back up. The cap of 10 tokens is over a 7 day stretch, so you can't buy more then 10 in a 7 day period, on the 8th day you could buy more though. I for one bought 9 the first month you could get them and as long as I could snip a few cheap ones I would buy new ones putting me back at the 36 cap as soon as possible. The biggest flaw in your assumption that the tokens will cut in more then half of the current rate is that gold will go to somebody else who will buy up more stuff with that gold. It isn't leaving the market it will in most if not all cases be injected right back in.
    I am preparing for the week one drop in price, I have 350k and I am hoping to get 10 tokens, and possibly more if the drop remains into week 3 once the threshold drops off.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait for Legions

7+ Year Old Account
    There's a bundle you can get that includes both WOD and Legion for the same price as Legion (you basically get WOD for free). Get that. The price of Legion isn't going to go down anytime soon.