Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I for one have absolutely no with that ending. For the matter, I also liked SCII ending

Woop, awesome news, cannot wait for a holy angel illidan to lead the forces of light, the nerd rage on the internet is a juicy bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    That is seriously overstated and not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be.
    agreed, Spot on.
    Look at the opinions of people who read the book vs people who did not, - notice how far many more who read it are down with it, and those who didn't read it are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    That's good. I just refuse to buy this book because the whole holy Illidan BS.
    Wildmoon it only feels that way when you see a summary without the context of the entire book behind it. And it is seriously overstated as well on the forums, you're better off reading the book rather than reading opinions and moans from people who haven't read the book.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    That's good. I just refuse to buy this book because the whole holy Illidan BS.
    There is no "Holy Illidan BS". Just an Elder Naaru that sees Illidan's pragmatism against the Legion. It's actually the best written Warcraft novel so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Just want to jump in to add to the chorus that the oft-ridiculed "Holy Illidan" part of Illidan is actually quite small and self-contained in terms of the overall book. It's a small aside that has received a far greater amount of scorn than it should otherwise merit - agree or disagree, it's neither set in stone nor anywhere near the actual salient part of the book.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Just want to jump in to add to the chorus that the oft-ridiculed "Holy Illidan" part of Illidan is actually quite small and self-contained in terms of the overall book. It's a small aside that has received a far greater amount of scorn than it should otherwise merit - agree or disagree, it's neither set in stone nor anywhere near the actual salient part of the book.
    People are rightfully sceptical after seeing this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Well, holy guys with angelic wings aren't that hopeless. Remember Mozgus ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well Mozgus was not a holy guy, whatever he was thinking. He was a false apostle created by the egg dude.
    He was the holiest. This guy is literally as holy as you can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    He was a giant flying armadillo that breathed fire.

And in a fair fight, Guts would have spilled his Guts even quicker
    And the only god in that uniwerse is a giant black heart in void of souls. Your point ?

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, it would be a horrible cliche. And thats so illidan. The they should cut off his ears to make him more crippled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I'm not sure I subscribe to the whole "Holy Illidan = Kerrigan" argument, nor was I really put out by the turn in the story as I felt it was kind of foreshadowed from the very start of Starcraft 2 (and is a pretty classic trope on top of that). While I prefer Illidan as a straight-up anti-hero type of character, as long as his redemption arc is done well I'd be fine with it. A little teaser in the form of a prophetic vision isn't enough for me to judge the development, personally speaking.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I subscribe to the whole "Holy Illidan = Kerrigan" argument, nor was I really put out by the turn in the story as I felt it was kind of foreshadowed from the very start of Starcraft 2 (and is a pretty classic trope on top of that). While I prefer Illidan as a straight-up anti-hero type of character, as long as his redemption arc is done well I'd be fine with it. A little teaser in the form of a prophetic vision isn't enough for me to judge the development, personally speaking.
    Exactly, and people need to remember that he's still half-demon. The book takes great pains to show that he did not succumb to becoming fully demonic after consuming the Skull of Gul'dan, but it did make him into a seriously cruel bastard. That's a good part of what makes the character in the book interesting, the back-and-forth between his true self and how he can just whip around and do horrible things. All that is getting overshadowed by a couple of pages at the end which hint at a possible future story arc which doesn't even seem that big of a deal when read in context.

I also find something weird.Illidan is stated to be more powerful than any of Archimonde's lieutenants and yet he struggled against Magtheridon.

True, it's a sort of vision he gets very late in the book, a vision that may well turn out to be wrong or symbolic rather than literal, although the words "Holy" and "Illidan" don't really fit together (He does some pretty heinous stuff throughout the book), it's far too small a part of the story (A page or two) to judge the whole book by it...

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    I also find something weird.Illidan is stated to be more powerful than any of Archimonde's lieutenants and yet he struggled against Magtheridon.
    He didn't, read more carefully. Illidan had no problem damaging Magtheridon without taking any damage by himself. What he needed to put an effort in was using the spell to bind Mag instead of killing him. That might or might not reflect fighting prowess - if Illidan wanted to kill Mag, he probably could have done so easily when he thrusted his warglaive into the demon's neck.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    True, it's a sort of vision he gets very late in the book, a vision that may well turn out to be wrong or symbolic rather than literal, although the words "Holy" and "Illidan" don't really fit together (He does some pretty heinous stuff throughout the book), it's far too small a part of the story (A page or two) to judge the whole book by it...
    While I agree with the general sentiment that it's absurd to judge the book by a single page, I don't agree with "the words Holy and Illidan don't really fit together". Sure, it seemed so, but looking through Warcraft history, doing heinous stuff isn't an issue to prevent you from using the Light. Otherwise, that bunch who were killing innocents in bunch and manipulated by a dreadlord shouldn't have been able to. As long as you have faith in your ability to wield the Light, you can - and we can say that the vision did quite a good job to convince Illidan he'd have no problem wielding the Light in the future.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-04-18 at 12:54 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    He didn't, read more carefully. Illidan had no problem damaging Magtheridon without taking any damage by himself. What he needed to put an effort in was using the spell to bind Mag instead of killing him. That might or might not reflect fighting prowess - if Illidan wanted to kill Mag, he probably could have done so easily when he thrusted his warglaive into the demon's neck.
    yeah I know.I read it.I always thought that he is more powerful as in magic,you know.although he did rekt Kruul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    By "Holy Illidan" I meant the pejorative take on the content of the vision - Illidan shooting out beams of Light, bearing a halo of Light energy, etc. etc. Illidan as he is in the bulk of the book is pretty much your quintessential anti-hero, doing terrible things in the name of what he believes is the higher good in addition to seeking his vengeance upon the Legion itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    By "Holy Illidan" I meant the pejorative take on the content of the vision - Illidan shooting out beams of Light, bearing a halo of Light energy, etc. etc. Illidan as he is in the bulk of the book is pretty much your quintessential anti-hero, doing terrible things in the name of what he believes is the higher good in addition to seeking his vengeance upon the Legion itself.
    Light is a form of power, something Illidan will take in any form should he have the opportunity. If he is offered a big Naaru buff, he would take it in a heartbeat.

Finished the novel earlier today and i have to say it was pretty good. Really enjoyed the story of Vandel, and his transformation into a demon hunter. And ofc the fact that we finally found out what the fuck Illidan was doing in outland.

"Anti-hero" is a grey area, and Illidan went way past that grey area with the spells cast using souls, warping orcs into even worse monstrosities, ripping the soul out of Akama to keep him under control, his little "many go in, few come out" demon hunter training programme, as the saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions", and Illidan raced down that road and passed "anti hero"-town ages ago...