Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    A more correct definition of the term flop is purely financial.
    You literally get on me for using opinion and you start you response with an opinion. There is no "more correct" definition of flop. A flop is generally considered to not met expectations due to poor quality given. A financial or commercial flop is used to describe something that failed to meet expectations for a reason other than poor quality. Neither is "more correct." When you call something a flop you are making a judgement the quality of the product was poor (SW:Tor wasn't a poor product, just underwhelming which is different).

And you are right about about WoW, it won't go F2P it has no reason to at this time. I would say it goes F2P if and only if it drops below 1.5 million subs.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    They'll come back, but just as with WoD most won't stick around. Not because Legion won't be good (I think it looks great), but rather because they will once again realize that they don't really have the desire to play a game they quit years ago.

The sub numbers will spike for expansions, then drop down again, and then continue to dwindle down as would be expected of a game that is long past its peak. That being said, I doubt they will ever go FTP.
    for some this will be true, for others hopefully it wont be

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    it will cause a jump, who knows it might flop?, the movie might be bad aswell?, Dont expect it to be amazing, The drop in subs after a month or so could be huge
    i dont need to expect anything, legion looks amazing from alpha alone. also, what the fuck does the movie have to do with it? (the answer is nothing, but i also expect that will be good)
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It wasn't really a flop, it wasn't a bad game at all. The problem was that it came out with WoW. WoW had more content as it was out longer ... you can't release a game with only 3 PvP maps and limited raids. You can't release something without a group finder. The game was released at a time where players expect more from a released MMO.

A flop to me is a bad game, SWToR isn't a bad game. I suppose you can say it was a commercial flop as it didn't make the money it should, but that is referring to money, not quality. To me, ESO was a flop.
    I was commenting more on the financial side than others. I know a few people that actually enjoyed it as far as gameplay
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Raptar View Post
    Legion will bring back so many people, trust me. My intuition also says people will stick around and won't unsub. Also because of this it won't go F2P. I think we may wish it's never going F2P, just imagine how the botters, hackers, negative people et cetera will incease in a high rate because there are too less GMs around to do anything about it.
    Doubt it. No matter how good the expansion might be many of us are just sick of WoW and are playing other games now. I pre-ordered just so I could get the diablo 3 wings. Cancelled my WoW sub the other day though since I just wasn't logging in to it and don't know if I will bother playing the expansion much when it's out. I will probably level 1 char to 110 and check out the new class.

That's about as much as many people do when a new expansion is out then they go play other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably never.

Probably never

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people want the fall of WoW to be a reality? how many more of these threads are we going to see.

Warlock always and forever, Necromancer otherwise
    It is better to be feared than it is to be loved, if you cannot have both.

Given how the SWTOR model is gating content behind payment, then never.
    As that IS NOT Free to Play.
    That is a glorfied demo, the same format as a demo has been following for years.
    Playable content incomplete without payment is a demo.
    The wow starter edition is equally that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    They already added F2P in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Since the subs dropped so much that Blizzard decided to stop telling us the numbers and the game subs are in a steady decline since 2011 (that if continues at identical pace would mean no more subs in 2019 - but we will reach the hardcore-fans plateau before that) I wonder when WoW will go F2P.
    All signs are already there. Money to buy gold, Money to buy instant level 100, level 100 trials in Legion, money for cosmetic items like pets mounts and three hats are all already in the game. All that is missing are few more crafting- and xp-boosters for money.

I think if WoW would go that path they would continue to offer the regular subscription just like SW:TOR offers (where you get free tokens to buy boosters each month).

This would increase the numbers of players significant. It even worked for failed sub-MMORPGs and made them lucrative enough to run for years. Rift for example (they had 1 million subs in 2011) is still running.

What do you think, how many sub-only expansions are we looking at? I think Legion could already be the last one.
    Wow is free to play now. you can purchase your sub with gold.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Wow is free to play now. you can purchase your sub with gold.
    You don't even need gold to play WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    You don't even need gold to play WoW.
    please explain. I am all ears on how to purchase a legal subscription without either money or gold.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    it will cause a jump, who knows it might flop?, the movie might be bad aswell?, Dont expect it to be amazing, The drop in subs after a month or so could be huge
    Yes but we gotta look at what legion has to offer at launch, and so far it has the most content any expansion has ever had with unique and fun rewarding things in the open world and instances.

they have no reason to,

as some of us pointed out at the very first store mount, they're double dipping hard, with both a cash shop, that before wow implemented it, was a f2p only thing, that was justified by the fact that developers had to make money someway.

Now they're selling boosts pets and gear. So how is going f2p, going to make them more money, than their current "PAY FOR EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME" model? (unlike all other mmo's, wow was here first, got everyone addicted, and sits on the majority of the mmo playerbase.)

They have no reason to go f2p, f2p is a desperate cash grab maneuvre that mmo's that couldn't sustain themselves using subs was forced to use, to keep just a sliver of a playerbase to build on and stay afloat.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    please explain. I am all ears on how to purchase a legal subscription without either money or gold.
    You don't need a sub, all you need is a battle.net account.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...tarter-edition

Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    You don't need a sub, all you need is a battle.net account.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...tarter-edition
    There is a difference between f2p to 20 and the entire game being free to play. Also no, why would they go f2p when the game is still very profitable for them?

Yeah is long as people are willing to keep paying a sub with no content patches, and then selling them an xpack created using that sub money, that is like free money, why give that shit up.

I hope it never goes f2p... never liked the system. I mean, if its like Wildstar than sure, maybe when population will be really low. But swotr? NO THANKS!

Deleted
    It's already F2P for many people...more F2P than SWTOR is by far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Since the subs dropped so much that Blizzard decided to stop telling us the numbers and the game subs are in a steady decline since 2011 (that if continues at identical pace would mean no more subs in 2019 - but we will reach the hardcore-fans plateau before that) I wonder when WoW will go F2P.
    All signs are already there. Money to buy gold, Money to buy instant level 100, level 100 trials in Legion, money for cosmetic items like pets mounts and three hats are all already in the game. All that is missing are few more crafting- and xp-boosters for money.

I think if WoW would go that path they would continue to offer the regular subscription just like SW:TOR offers (where you get free tokens to buy boosters each month).

This would increase the numbers of players significant. It even worked for failed sub-MMORPGs and made them lucrative enough to run for years. Rift for example (they had 1 million subs in 2011) is still running.

What do you think, how many sub-only expansions are we looking at? I think Legion could already be the last one.
    Honestly is it you asking this question liek once a month?

Does it really need to be asked more then once?