Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    1. illegal to discriminate against
    2. illegal to discriminate against - see hooters.................
    3. already covered by individual's desire to put in the effort to learn. there is always a way.
    4. illegal to discriminate against, unless as I already stated it is a sufficient enough dissability to make the given job impossible.
    5. already covered. maybe it will take a lot more effort than the person born with the silver spoon in their mouth but it is still your personal choice.
    6. daddy issues? really??

even if any of the "legitimate" reasons you posted are in existence for a particular person they are ALL able to be overcome by the proper amount of effort. You can literally learn how to create a nuclear weapon by going to the public library.
    Oh please, just because it is illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Come on, I know you're better than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    The McDonalds near me pays about 10 an hour.... or so they say on the sign at their drive through window. They never made a mistake on my order, except like recently where there was some onion on my cheeseburger
    They get the order wrong about half the time here.

Its awful, and the burgers are misshapened, and sometimes missing ingredients.

You might want to include that the lowest tax bracket in Denmark is 45%.

In America under a certain threshold you do not pay any taxes, which covers most people making minimum wage.

So that $20 an hour just plummeted to $11 an hour net pay.

Denmark also pays a 25% sales tax. The highest sales tax in the USA is 9.45%

Not to mention that Denmark adds a lot of duties and fee to almost everything. Also in Denmark a gallon of gas is $10 a gallon.

In denmark a person over 18, working for McD earns 17.5 USD minimum.
    A Cheesburger costs 1.5 USD
    A Big Mac Menu, medium cost 9.5 USD
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    3-6 are logical. Skin colour and Gender does not stop you being to get to a position you want though. People that use the excuse that they didn't get something because of those 2 things are actually just useless and need something inane to blame.
    I'd write , but it doesn't really do justice to how far back into my head my eyes are actually going at the reading of this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    and then it goes under reported. Thus is business encouraged fraud.
    Amazing that people who hide tips under the table (I understand the long time practice) are actually cheating us tax payers of tax money. So again I have to pay more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh taxes!!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Perhaps we need to get free college education in place you know most poor people regardless of how smart they are cant afford 30k tuition,
    Except for it isn't free.

That "Free" education has to come from somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

I go to the good Mcdonalds thats the next town over from me (they pay 10) because they are great and friendly. I think the one thats actually near my house (down the block) pays a dollar less and they suck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I agree that everyone needs to have a way to pay for their basic needs, but I don't think everyone deserves it. Why don't I think everyone deserves it? Well for 1, when people make bad decisions in their lives, maybe they got addicted to drinking, or doing drugs and all the ramifications that go along with that, and they end up on the street, why should the rest of society pay for them to make their stupid decisions?
    Because, unlike you, I feel society has an obligation to help support those who can't, even if they're there because of their own fault.

Second, I want to ask EVERYONE in this thread a simple and honest question. Do you think that raising the minimum wage from 7-8 dollars in most states, to 15 dollars wouldn't have any negative consequences?

So all of a sudden, every business in america, especially those who primarily employ minimum wage workers will now have their salary and wage expense double, and you dont think that will have any negative effect? Do you realize that several businesses run on a bottom line profit of 1-2%? Especially retail businesses. If you double the salary and wage expense, usually running at 15-20% of operating expense, you now as a business wont be making a profit.

Think of all the mom and pop stores that several of you want to support because "walmart is the devil," Out of business within a year or two because they cant afford to pay their employees 15$ an hour.

How do you think a business will have to change in order to stay alive during a massive increase in operating expenses? 1) Cut jobs, and require those who are left to do more in less time. 2) Increase prices of goods and services, which causes inflation. Those are just 2 examples of what could happen through increasing minimum wage to 15$. Another example would be, what about all the people who are in career type jobs, who maybe right out of college they make 18-20 an hour? So now everyone else in the world are making $15 an hour, so now you paid 20-40 thousand dollars to go to college to make 3 dollars more an hour than the 16 year old kid still in high school? Exempt employees would be requiring a similar bump in pay.

Im sure all these examples you guys didn't even care to think of because you are so blinded by "inequality" and "unfairness" and "Evil corporations" and the other bullshit liberal propaganda you guys love to take in. Stay classy MMO-C.
    Yeah, absolutely, there would be problems. Of course. Is that a reason to keep things as they are?

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    There are lots of jobs which can be learned in a day. Still those tend to pay more.
    Suppose that is true.

But it also brings up a point.

People who scream and cry about not supporting themselves by working fast food?

Gasp, idea, get a new job.

Sure i can compare it since thats what you should do. everytime your failed logic shows up to be failed when we show what can and will happen when you raise wages is the only way to do it. and as usual we get to hear USA isnt denmark or blah blah blah blah nonsense excuse for the status quo of slave wages in the USA.

Perhaps some free public healthcare some increased taxes on billionaires and wages that arent total fucking shit would be good you know, the whole concept seems to work pretty fucking good elsewhere.
    You can make the comparison but you should also adjust for the cost of materials. Its dishonest to just say "oh the difference is 35 cents so it must all be labour!" Don't get me wrong I don't think the price of a hamburger will change much at all but we shouldn't manipulate data to demonstrate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    I always wonder why conservatives is so against helping people on the low end. Being against improving society as a whole while sticking their tongue inn the rich man's sphincter as if it would help them or anything.
    That is because you see their arguments from your non conservative view point. You are not being kind to their argument in the philosophical way.

If you come to the argument with the prior bias of "they are doing it because they don't want anyone to have a better life" of course you won't understand. Both sides of the aisle are kind of in it for the same thing. They are in it to make life easier and better for everyone. They don't agree on the methods but they have the same goals. Take some time and read conservative ideas and don't just jump to conclusions, take the time to try and understand the arguments. You might find things you like in there.

I say this as a liberal in the classical sense. I am in no way a conservative but some of their ideas have merit. They are not the bogey man you make them seem to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Because, unlike you, I feel society has an obligation to help support those who can't, even if they're there because of their own fault.
    Society doesn't owe them anything.

You never owe somebody else something.

That concept of entitlement....sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    I won't argue economics, we can go round for hours about it.

Consider this: In almost every major metropolitan area(where the jobs are) Rent in a shitty apartment in the ghetto or boonies costs no less than 500$/mo. That's in almost every major city in the U.S. Getting out of the ghetto immediately pushes you up to 800-1000 a month range, and it's usually not much better.

Believe it or not most people don't have the luxury or privilege of parents supporting them. They get kicked out or parents go to jail or w/e, a young person starts out life paying more than 2/3 of their pay to be independent.

If you don't want to raise pay, then lower rent.

Speaking as a landlord, I truly wish I could still charge $500/month, but that wouldn't even cover the property taxes, much less insurance, mortgage, licensing fees, repairs, etc.

Seriously, property taxes have more than doubled, most of which is due to having to increase school capacity, hire all those Spanish speaking teachers, and massively increase the police department, who actually have been fairly effective at bringing all the gangs/drugs/crime under control.

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    15$ does seem a lot though for some jobs.

It seams that way cause we've been fucked for so long. 15-25 bucks an hour (actually 35) is what the real Minimum wage should be cause that is the COST of leaving and being self sustaining.

8 bucks an hour is a starvation wage that men/women have qualifies them for food stamps.

For those thinking it would increase the cost of a burger, you are forgetting that people spend roughly 100% of their income to live. That means if they have increased funds they will spend more.

THIS is the exactly OPPOSITE of "trickle" down economics and that is why IT works.

I agree that everyone needs to have a way to pay for their basic needs, but I don't think everyone deserves it. Why don't I think everyone deserves it? Well for 1, when people make bad decisions in their lives, maybe they got addicted to drinking, or doing drugs and all the ramifications that go along with that, and they end up on the street, why should the rest of society pay for them to make their stupid decisions?

Second, I want to ask EVERYONE in this thread a simple and honest question. Do you think that raising the minimum wage from 7-8 dollars in most states, to 15 dollars wouldn't have any negative consequences?

So all of a sudden, every business in america, especially those who primarily employ minimum wage workers will now have their salary and wage expense double, and you dont think that will have any negative effect? Do you realize that several businesses run on a bottom line profit of 1-2%? Especially retail businesses. If you double the salary and wage expense, usually running at 15-20% of operating expense, you now as a business wont be making a profit.

Think of all the mom and pop stores that several of you want to support because "walmart is the devil," Out of business within a year or two because they cant afford to pay their employees 15$ an hour.

How do you think a business will have to change in order to stay alive during a massive increase in operating expenses? 1) Cut jobs, and require those who are left to do more in less time. 2) Increase prices of goods and services, which causes inflation. Those are just 2 examples of what could happen through increasing minimum wage to 15$. Another example would be, what about all the people who are in career type jobs, who maybe right out of college they make 18-20 an hour? So now everyone else in the world are making $15 an hour, so now you paid 20-40 thousand dollars to go to college to make 3 dollars more an hour than the 16 year old kid still in high school? Exempt employees would be requiring a similar bump in pay.

Im sure all these examples you guys didn't even care to think of because you are so blinded by "inequality" and "unfairness" and "Evil corporations" and the other bullshit liberal propaganda you guys love to take in. Stay classy MMO-C.
    Stop scaremongering. You're literally making stuff up, that I'm sure you believe is true, in order to scare people into thinking minimum living wage is a bad thing. None of these things actually happen in the way you say they do when minimum wages are increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

You don't think that is on management/ownership. You are a BIG capitalism cheerleader. Maybe take your business elsewhere?

Plus you hyperbole of how many times it happens is probably not true. I also go to high end restaurants and they mess up my order. The horror!!!!!!!!!!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    Wouldn't higher income for everyone increase business and revenue though? People will have more disposable money to spend. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    Yes you are wrong in your thinking because you are not considering the impact on the franchise owner (take McDonald's as an example) and on the consequences of increasing his labor costs by 50%. Remember McDonald's stores are owned by franchisees (individuals), not by McDonald's Corp. They pay anywhere from $1-$2 million for the franchise.

After all expenses are paid, a franchise owner nets around $150,000 per year. If the owner is also the manager (makes around $108,000), then he pulls in $258,000 per year. This is not an unreasonable amount to make for a small business owner

Now his Crew Payroll is around $540,000 per year. Increasing employees pay by 50% (from $10/hr to $15/hr) increases his payroll to $810,000. This means the owner's payroll costs went up by $270,000. Now remember the owner is only making $258,000, so now he is losing money on his business.

Here is the link to the numbers I cited: http://www.mymoneyblog.com/mcdonalds...vs-profit.html

How will he go from losing money to making money?

1) Raise costs
    2) Lay off employees and automate.

Now the other aspect that you are not considering is the impact on uneducated, poor black males. No one will hire them for $15/hr to flip burgers. They will be competing against other candidates that have more experience and/or education. They simply won't get hired because they are being forced to sell their labor for $15/hr when they would be willing to work for much less.

In the long run, they won't be able to get a starting job, earn experience and raises and eventually move up to better paying jobs.

Bottom line is that without a proper education (which the Democrats and Teachers Unions are incentivized to deprive them of) these poor black kids are even worse off with higher minimum wages.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

at most 15 to 20 cents more, fact of the matter is the big mac costs only 41 cents more in Denmark vs USA and in Denmark a burgerflipper takes home about 23 dollars/ hr.

What you should really ask is why the fuck is it so more expensive in USA with the low prices .
    Denmark McDonalds workers make $20 an hour.

The lowest bracket of tax in Denmark is 45%.

The "take home" pay for Denmark McDonalds' workers is $11 an hour. Keep in mind that a work week in Denmark is only 33 hours. So even if the McDonald's employee in Denmark works full-time(33 hours), their "take home" pay is only $330 a week.

Yep, the Danish McDonald's' employees are really bringing in the big bucks!!!!!

Also keep in mind that Denmark has a sales tax of 25%.