Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    So I just killed Pontiff and grabbed the bonfire and walked like 10 meters further before a player invaded me. The problem was that I was stuck between a corridor in 2 fog walls so we were unable to reach each other.
    Wow lol. Ya that zone is a pvp feast, So I recommed not being kindled there.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually never figured Yhorm out. He was just so easy to dodge that I killed him the 'normal' way. Rotating around his legs and hitting him with normal attacks. Took a looooong time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    So I just killed Pontiff and grabbed the bonfire and walked like 10 meters further before a player invaded me. The problem was that I was stuck between a corridor in 2 fog walls so we were unable to reach each other.
    Hey at least it was only one invader for you. I got invaded by two people; it looked like they were from the same covenant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I finished my "blind" playthrough this weekend. Overall I was happy with the game, but definitely got a sense of "Souls Fatigue" when it came to the imagination department. The first Dark Souls still holds the award for the most interesting and terrifying bosses, and I say that DS2 and DS3 are pretty on par for me.

I had heard spells were pretty borked, and usually I do a Sorcerer build the first time through a Souls game...but this time I did a "Quality" oriented build so I could use all the weapons. This ended up working out because I failed the Sorcerer's questline and he left Firelink, and I never found the Pyromancer or Miracle vendor until I specifically looked them up (while past the Grand Archives). So I didn't access to spells at all.

Weapon-wise, I was happy I infused a Longsword with Fire since there were a handful of enemies super weak to fire, but I had planned on using the Wolf Knight's Greatsword (Artorious's sword yo!). When I got the WKG it was kind of weak. It didn't stagger enemies enough or do the damage I would have expected for as much Stamina as eats up. So even after pushing it to +5, I shelved it. I was also kind of disappointed in the Dual Weapon category...mainly because their movesets seemed SO uninspired. They looked cool until you swung them, then they looked less cool...just kind of plain. So I never bothered using any of them except for Dual Daggers (solely for the Quickstep to quickly traverse the swamps). In the end, my favorite combo of Estoc and Greatsword (plain one that's a homage to Berserk's Dragonslayer) without any infusions whatsoever. Estoc outperformed most of my weapons actually, being able to hit super fast and staggering a surprising amount. So Estoc was my go-to weapon for most of the game, and even outdid the Mace (which I would have though would have been more effective based on its uber status in DS2). Greatsword was a monster though, and although I waited WAY too long to start using it, it could easily do 1200 damage with a 3-bit Combo on the final bosses. I just wish I had started using it earlier (and had a Pyromancer's Flame to buff with Iron Flesh for face-tanking goodness).

Story-wise...what did you guys think? For me this might have been one of the most convoluted and confusing storylines in the Souls series. I am definitely waiting with baited breath to hear what some of the lore-experts have to say about it. I think the thing that confuses me the most are the direct placement of people, places, and items from previous games. Anor Londo was when my immersion was completely and utterly broken, and I was totally lost whether this was legit or pure fan service. My initial feeling was that they took the things the community liked about the previous games and just sprinkled them into this one instead of having them sprout up naturally from their story.

My biggest question right now (and please jump in with any speculation) is....

What is the difference in the Champion of Ash vs. the Chosen Undead? Both are confirmed Undead, but the Champion isn't a naturally Hallowing Undead like previous games. In previous games the Chosen Undead needed to Link the Fire, but in this game the Champion of Ash could also Link the Fire...so what's the difference?

With that in mind, the Lords of Cinder are powerful Undead who have Linked the Fire previously. It sounds like they are needed in DS3 because no Chosen Undead has been powerful enough to do it themselves...so they are resurrected by [Blank] to combine their power and Link the Fire as a contingency plan (meaning the Chosen Undead isn't necessary?). But in DS3 they all decide to fuck off (probably because of the Prince), and now the Champion of Ash is a THIRD contingency that has to get them together to Link the Fire...but in the end the Champion of Ash Links the Fire...

So I'm totally confused on the main plot. =/
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I actually never figured Yhorm out. He was just so easy to dodge that I killed him the 'normal' way. Rotating around his legs and hitting him with normal attacks. Took a looooong time.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey at least it was only one invader for you. I got invaded by two people; it looked like they were from the same covenant.
    Yhorm spoilers

You're supposed to get the Storm Ruler on his throne and then charge the L2 attack and hit him with it. Takes about 5 or 6 hits from that to kill him.

Deleted
    The Yhorm fight was my first and only true disappointment in the entire Soulsborne series. The lead-up, model and arena is so amazing and then the fight... it's just the most boring and uninspired fight in the soulsborne series. I really looked forward to a grand and epic battle against a giant who linked the fire but instead I had to press L2 5 times.

Anyway, the patch that was released today stated:
    "Performance adjustment for Greatsword
    Battle performance adjustment for Dancer’s Enchanted Swords, Winged Twin Knight Axes
    Performance adjustment for Soul Greatsword, and Farron Flashsword"

What's the difference in Performance and Battle Performance?
    Did they make Greatswords better or not?
    Battle Performance I can see is about the damage, speed etc. but since they use different words surely there must be a different meaning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnecyl View Post
    The Yhorm fight was my first and only true disappointment in the entire Soulsborne series. The lead-up, model and arena is so amazing and then the fight... it's just the most boring and uninspired fight in the soulsborne series. I really looked forward to a grand and epic battle against a giant who linked the fire but instead I had to press L2 5 times.
    I get the homage they wanted to do with the sword and the fight in Demon Souls with the Storm King...but yeah it was pretty lame IMO. The Lords of Cinder shouldn't really be gimmick fights, and if they are, then there are much more creative ways to do them...like the Dragon God.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I get the homage they wanted to do with the sword and the fight in Demon Souls with the Storm King...but yeah it was pretty lame IMO. The Lords of Cinder shouldn't really be gimmick fights, and if they are, then there are much more creative ways to do them...like the Dragon God.
    I haven't played Demon's Souls so I sadly cannot speak about that but from what I've been able to gather it is rather similiar to a fight from that game aye.
    I agree that one of the "main bosses" shouldn't be a gimmick fight. Had it been another fight I would have had much less grudge against it. I didn't even use Storm Ruler until I looked the tactics up after having beaten his feet for 15 minutes because I kept thinking "No way Fromsoft will force you to use a specific weapon, their design is way beyond that."

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yep yesterday I had two invade me and I had to take them both on at the sametime. Safe to say I lost that fight.
    I had it happen to me in Anor Londo. At least they were polite enough for me to kill the knight I was fighting and heal up. Also only took 1 on at a time, some people have respect for those that don't want to be invaded.

Also super glad I'm past that area, did NOT miss arrows that took half my health at 35 vig and knocked me back almost off the edge :C

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Story-wise...what did you guys think? For me this might have been one of the most convoluted and confusing storylines in the Souls series. I am definitely waiting with baited breath to hear what some of the lore-experts have to say about it. I think the thing that confuses me the most are the direct placement of people, places, and items from previous games. Anor Londo was when my immersion was completely and utterly broken, and I was totally lost whether this was legit or pure fan service. My initial feeling was that they took the things the community liked about the previous games and just sprinkled them into this one instead of having them sprout up naturally from their story.

My biggest question right now (and please jump in with any speculation) is....

What is the difference in the Champion of Ash vs. the Chosen Undead? Both are confirmed Undead, but the Champion isn't a naturally Hallowing Undead like previous games. In previous games the Chosen Undead needed to Link the Fire, but in this game the Champion of Ash could also Link the Fire...so what's the difference?

With that in mind, the Lords of Cinder are powerful Undead who have Linked the Fire previously. It sounds like they are needed in DS3 because no Chosen Undead has been powerful enough to do it themselves...so they are resurrected by [Blank] to combine their power and Link the Fire as a contingency plan (meaning the Chosen Undead isn't necessary?). But in DS3 they all decide to fuck off (probably because of the Prince), and now the Champion of Ash is a THIRD contingency that has to get them together to Link the Fire...but in the end the Champion of Ash Links the Fire...

So I'm totally confused on the main plot. =/

Eh, they are more like lords who linked the fire along with Gwyn way back, who propably died at some point, and is possible dead during DaS1, but is reborn by the the time of DaS3 takes place, as it is with gods and lords in souls universe, their souls recycle.

You basically bring them back to act like fuel for the next lord of cinder, which is you.
    The whole storyline is that they fucked off from their thrones, thus the ritual can't take place for you to become the next lord of cinder, linking the fire.
    You see this with the princes, Lothric want's the fire to fade out, they stopped giving a shit, all of the lords did except Ludleth, but Ludleth alone isn't powerful enough to complete the ritual.

Instead of them going back to the thrones themself, you bring their bodies as embers or whatever.

Why would Anor Londo break your immersion? The storyline takes place in the exact same place as DaS1, Smouldering lake is basically lost izalith/Ash lake(?)
    Nameless king is Gwyn's firstborn, who sided with the dragons and was thus banished, he propably killed Ornstein aswell, who was known for being a dragon killer.
    Aldrich is literally in the process of devouring Gwyndolin when you're fighting him, Gwyndolin who was sick and got trapped to be eaten by Aldrich by Pontiff, because pontiff wanted to save a family member(?) Aldrich was forced into becoming a lord, but he also dreamt of eating gods, so he went for it.
    Aldrich have propably consumed Nito and possibly Quelana aswell, judging by his appearance.

We don't know how long after DaS1, DaS3 takes place, but it's the exact same locations, and there is ALOT of hints of what happened to the various NPC's and characters from DaS1 if you pay attention to what mobs and bosses drops, or just their appearance.

This is where the 4 endings come inn place aswell.
    First thing to remember in souls universe is, fire means gods rule, darkness means humans rule, you decide what's better.
    First is the standard one, you use the lords of cinder, to become one yourself, and you link the fire, thus continuing the cycle.
    The two alternatives i am not entirely sure what is exactly, i assume you let the abyss swallow everything, thus bringing the age of darkness(?) but this only lasts a while, as the flame is still alive, but very small.
    I am not sure what the significance is between letting the firekeeper keep the fire or you taking it yourself is, i'm not entirely sure what those two alt endings actually means.

The fourth one? You become a lord of hollows, you basically let fire and darkness merge or something, everything turns grey, you break the cycle finally.
    That's how i understood it anyways, or it could just possibly mean you bring the age of darkness, akin to alternative ending in DaS1, but i also feel this one is the most related to the darksign, which we still don't know who is behind, most likely Velka.
    But if the fourth ending means you bring age of darkness, i have no idea what the second/third ending means.

Someone will propably correct me on the endings, but that's how i took them atleast.
    There is still alot of speculations still in the air, as the game is still pretty new, we'll hear more when people start putting the pieces togheter(no not vaati)
    We know from soft had a huge connected story and lore to go with, that they decided to put huge blanks inn and spread out all over the place on purpose, don't be surprised if we one day get a book with the full lore, from soft still have it in their office most likely.
    Another thing to remember, Lordran isn't affected by time, this is repeated plenty of times in the souls universe, time is fucked and convoluted, shit's a mess.
    Lordran doesn't change on itself, Lordran changes when the inhabitants who is affected by time, force it to change.

The storyline isn't any more convoluted or messy than DaS1 and DaS2, in fact.
    It feels like they actually focused on the lore way more this time, there is alot more information to find, things to put togheter, it isn't nearly as vague as it was in DaS1.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2016-04-18 at 07:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha sounds like I did Yhorm the "right" way then. I had no idea about that and found him pretty fun. One of the few fights where I didn't lock and and just fought him freestyle.

Any news on the lighting problem? Is that part of any of the fixes? It's bumming me out that I have to keep turning Lighting to Low each time I start up the game...Low lightning also seems to mess up hair color styles and makes my character look wrong.

I did Yhorm the "right" way too. However I died and wanted to just move on so summoned a sun bro and watched them do 6k damage a hit with that stupid weapon. Absolutely silly.

What lighting problem is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Setting lighting to low is the bandaid fix for people who are crashing all the time...like me. Seems like it's mostly a problem with 700 series and below Nvidia cards. It's also the only thing that works. If I set lighting to medium or high I am guaranteed to crash near a bonfire or any other extremely lit up area.

That's really odd. Something I've noticed recently, I've been playing in windowed mode cause I like to tab out to other stuff while be waiting to be summoned. My game will quickly flash white for a frame or two. Haven't noticed any other problems, just weird. It's also happened when the game is the active window as well.

I was recently gifted this game, probably the best souls game in the series, and it has quickly became one of my most favorite games!

Anyone else get random-spikey frame dips? Usually I get them when going into new areas, but not right away.. I just don't understand whats going on. Some times areas will have no fps issues and other times they will

Me and my brother just got invaded 3 times in under a minute, one blue one red and one other , we got them though but needed to run back and refill our flasks have no idea what all colours mean but two of them where fighting eachother to so it was a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Yhorm spoilers

You're supposed to get the Storm Ruler on his throne and then charge the L2 attack and hit him with it. Takes about 5 or 6 hits from that to kill him.
    See thats what I thought but I think I did it wrong.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    And again invaded, someone with a rapier! easymode weapon
    Using embers is a major downside, not worth the extra health.
    Use embers at the boss door is what I'd do if you need it. Estus are flat health gains, not percentage based, so the extra health isn't quite that helpful after a certain point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I never use embers or humanity in the souls series. Got tired of the pvp crap, I think I am the only one who hates souls pvp.
    /raise hand.
    Actually I don't hate it, but it's extremely dumb cause lag lag lag and getting invaded when I don't want to is extremely irritating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I feel like the Farron Greatsword is possibly the highest skill cap PVE weapon ever created due to the fact that you can dodge certain attacks with it while maintaining dps. I wonder if speedrunners will end up using it. Probably not since Titanite Scales are kinda out of the way, but I really wanna see some videos of people fighting bosses with the Farron Greatsword while not even being touched.
    Not worth it if you're speed running. Too far out of the way and from the looks of it the damage isn't enough to off set it. Rapier is probably the best they're going to get right at the start and infuse with fire right off the bat. I haven't really looked at the map layout and item access nor the dps of each item but just first impression is that. All that matters is maximum damage on bosses while not dying. If anything skipping straight to boreal dancer might actually be a good consideration due to the access of high amount of souls and stronger stuff which makes the other 3 lords trivial afterwards.

Deleted
    I kind of just forgot embers existed so I had like 70 of them by the time I finished the game... I'm not entirely against the pvp part of DS, it's just that I always get invaded whenever I am fighting something already annoying like the gigantic crabs, Ithirull hound or similiar so it's more pve+pvp at the same time instead of just pvp. Whenever I invade I wait for them to finish fighting the enemies they are already fighting since attacking them then would make the kill far too easy to be enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was embered the entire time, although my win ratio is pretty high so I don't mind the occasional invasion. The only time it got ridiculous was when I was in Irithyll and got chain invaded by the Aldrich Faithfuls. Then I had to go offline because I couldn't progress.

Did anyone else notice how the bridge leading up to the Twin Princes was almost exactly like the one in Demon's Souls for Penetrator , except on a much grander scale? At 1:12 in the video below.

Last edited by Baracuda; 2016-04-18 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne