Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The study researched three scenarios: a $15 minimum wage, a $22 minimum wage, and a mostly full-time employee roster under Obamacare. The $22 minimum wage is what would result in either a price increase of 25% or portion reduction of 70%, or some lesser combination of both factors.
    Ah I see, sorry thought it was discussing the $15/hr.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    Do they have a McDonalds? Every McDonalds offers free wifi. If there's absolutely nothing, my bet is there aren't any available jobs there either, minimum waste or otherwise.
    No, they don't. There aren't a lot of jobs there, no, but there are some. Small towns are extremely common here in the midwest, towns with no fastfood, one gas station, and a shared public library between 3 or 4 towns.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    I assume they either are a college kid or a deadbeat.

And no, it's not a -real- job.

As somebody else pointed out, you can train a McDonalds worker in a day.

If they are still flipping burgers at say, age 28, they did something wrong.

Life has consequences.
    clearly the answer is to punish them some more so we can complain about how the crime rates are going up and state welfare is skyrocketing.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    What??? No.

Services are consumed just as goods are. Buying a burger at McD's involves consuming both. And the idea that there isn't enough human done manufacturing is mostly nonsense anyway. It simply requires so little labor to manufacture now vs the past that having the bulk of the population working in manufacturing just isn't going to happen. Gone are the days when a Ford plant had 500,000 workers in it.
    Gone are the days when Ford did 90%+ of their manufacturing in the US. I dont care about how many people are involved, just the manufacturing itself.

And yes I know the US economy will never recover to be as strong as it once was, even with on-shoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Gone are the days when Ford did 90%+ of their manufacturing in the US. I dont care about how many people are involved, just the manufacturing itself.

And yes I know the US economy will never recover to be as strong as it once was, even with on-shoring.
    The manufacturing being in the US is meaningless if it doesn't employ a significant number of Americans.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    They get the order wrong about half the time here.

Its awful, and the burgers are misshapened, and sometimes missing ingredients.
    because they aren't paid enough to give a shit. you pay for the quality you get.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    And its a bad idea. The more you subsidize something the more you get of it. So subsidizing low paid work incentivizes employers to create more low paid work. That's been the case here and everywhere else that has tried this "good" idea.
    There is simply less "good" work to be had. And it is better to have more low paid work than no work at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigglepower View Post
    I can't believe you people actually think raising the minimum wage for fast food workers to 15$, those who were too lazy to go to school a trade school etc.
    i think we should make a drinking game out of this at this point. drink everytime someone posts that minimum wage worker's are either lazy, useless, or not fit to make a living wage. you'll be wasted before you finish the second page.

10+ Year Old Account
    The manufacturing being in the US is meaningless if it doesn't employ a significant number of Americans.
    Not true. It effects taxes which effects the ability to provide welfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Society doesn't owe them anything.

You never owe somebody else something.

That concept of entitlement....sheesh.
    don't be surprised when you suddenly need society's help and no one wants to help you.

No, they don't. There aren't a lot of jobs there, no, but there are some. Small towns are extremely common here in the midwest, towns with no fastfood, one gas station, and a shared public library between 3 or 4 towns.
    Don't make me laugh. I live in the Midwest and have driven cross country literally dozens of times. I have found McDonalds even in the smallest of towns, And if not, within 5-10 miles.

Does your grandma have Internet? Can't use hers? Yeah ok.

If you still want to contend there's no public internet, I'll bet with a minimum of effort, you could find someone who would let you use their internet.

No? Well, if the town is THAT small, then you should be able to apply for a job in person.

If you can't do any of that, Don't see much chance of bringing any value to an employer anyway.
    Last edited by Cricket22; 2016-04-18 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Corporations in a general sense are not good or evil, they as you put it "want to make more money." If they means doing something illegal that leads to huge profits even if they get caught they'll do it. It's seems ridiculous to me that people should entrust a CEO or Board Members with not only the well being of their workers, but the longevity of the very same company they work for when all they care about is short term profits because most of them don't see themselves in that job 10 years down the road.
    You know how board members get on the board, right? Hint: they own the company.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Competition would drive down the prices. McDonalds in interested in volume, not the price. As long as it covers cost there won't be an issue.
    And what if it doesn't?

Man, traveling abroad showed me how much the dollar still commands respect. Money changers were desperate to get my business over their competitors.
    Everybody want dollar right now. In the current economy, the US is like the best looking horse in a glue factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Why would the price go up? They didn't go up when the CEO's compensation package went from $1.69M to $7.91M. Are you suggesting that giving Easterbrook a raise of more than six million dollars a year doesn't affect the cost of their shitburgers, but somehow giving their government assistance recipient hourly sleps another $7 an hour is going to cost them so much they'll be forced to pass it off on the customers?

Fine by me. I don't eat their shit anyway, but my taxes go to paying their employees' grocery and medical bills. Let the cost of doing business come out of their profits for a change.
    Thank you for saving me from this thread. You really said about everything that needed to be said with regards to minimum wage fearmongering. For anyone still arguing against it 30 pages later, just reread this post and move on.

No, wage based employment will never recover. That is an very different thing to the economy itself.

To have a strong economy you simply need lots of people undertaking transactions to exchange goods/services/things for money. Simply tax the income from production and distribute the proceeds to everyone so they can exchange that money for the products of production. The idea that we should make people work for no reason if there is no need for their work is nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

There is simply less "good" work to be had. And it is better to have more low paid work than no work at all.
    Utter rubbish. It is better to automate and let machines do it and not have the work. Work is a means to an end which is to create stuff to improve our lives with. If machines can do it so we don't have to then have them do it. We just have to put in place ways to distribute the products without having to work for an income. Your argument is basically the same as saying we should go back to farming by hand because mechanization has taken jobs away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think removing the minimum wage would be a good thing.
    yay let's all head on back to the 1900's! horray for slave wages!!! long live corporations!

Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    So minimum wage take home is $6.80 an hour after income taxes?

People in America don't pay any taxes if they are under a certain threshold. The USA's Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 an hour. Even if you worked 40 hours a week you would still be below the threshold to pay income taxes.

To top that off, the highest sales tax is 9.45%.

Tell me again about this great utopia of fair wages in Europe when you actually make less?
    I definitely used to pay taxes at a min wage job, duder.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Firstly he should have never entertained this straw-man argument. People shouldn't have to rely on McDonalds or the kindness of strangers in order to afford internet when it's become such a vital part in our daily lives. Period.
    No, that the internet is "vital" is nothing more than your personal opinion. Human beings managed just fine for thousands of years without Internet, and many still do. I know quite a few.

and gee, another alternative would be to get a cell phone with unlimited everything.

FYI, flipping burgers does not require Internet access, and neither do a whole slew of other entry level, minimum wage jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaganfindel View Post
    Why would the price go up? They didn't go up when the CEO's compensation package went from $1.69M to $7.91M. Are you suggesting that giving Easterbrook a raise of more than six million dollars a year doesn't affect the cost of their shitburgers, but somehow giving their government assistance recipient hourly sleps another $7 an hour is going to cost them so much they'll be forced to pass it off on the customers?

Fine by me. I don't eat their shit anyway, but my taxes go to paying their employees' grocery and medical bills. Let the cost of doing business come out of their profits for a change.
    Holy hell, that was awesome, you can really feel the frustration in that. And it's like you took the words right from my mouth.
    I'm a thread killer.