Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Am I defective for liking pokemon?

As a 27 year old guy - am I a weird odd ball for still liking the style of game-play that pokemon games have to offer? I deal with a lot of stress, so typically when I do feel stressed I tend to chill on the couch or bed and play these GBA emulators and try to complete pokedex's.

I won't say you are not because I don't know you, but if you are, it's not because of enjoying Pokemon.

No? What kind of question is that? If you care whatsoever about what anyone else thinks about you or what you do, then in my eye's you have a defection.

But 4 realz, get off those emulators, and start collecting them all propper yo.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdLord View Post
    As a 27 year old guy - am I a weird odd ball for still liking the style of game-play that pokemon games have to offer? I deal with a lot of stress, so typically when I do feel stressed I tend to chill on the couch or bed and play these GBA emulators and try to complete pokedex's.
    On this very forum there is likely a middle aged man in character as a pink pony.

Some people like football.
    Some people like knitting.
    Some people like pokemon.

You aren't defective, you're just happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    On this very forum there is likely a middle aged man in character as a pink pony.

Some people like football.
    Some people like knitting.
    Some people like pokemon.

You aren't defective, you're just happy.
    Tell that to my in-laws.

Who I fucking hate anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

The irony is... they watch sports, and none of them ever actually played sports (beyond golf).

While I despise watching sports, and played every available sport all through high school. I'd much rather go out there and play the sport then listen to your boring dialogue on sports stats.

I need a divorce...

As a 27 year old guy
    Stop right there.

The vocal fanbase for Pokemon (the fans who post on forums, make YT videos, and comment on Reddit) are old, just like you. Guess how many millions of mature fans are out there? Hell, just check out MMO-C's dedicated Pokemon thread. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Pokemon-Part-2

The periphery fanbase (the second largest demographic) for Pokemon pretty much consists of people like you and me.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I am 32 ... I literally have my 3DS with Pokemon Omega Ruby next to me as I type this. If you are defective, so am I. I learned a long time ago, if you do something that makes you happy and doesn't cause harm, do it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Defective? How does that make you defective? Defective as opposed to what?

I'm 35 and I still play pokemon. I don't even bat an eyelash at the thought that I may be too old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

No, not at all. You are not defective because you like Pokemon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still play pokemon on my gameboy colour and i'm 23. Oh the happy memories and nostalgia of playing it when i was younger :')
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Deleted
    You like a thing. You don't hurt anybody by liking/engaging in said thing.

So no, it is fine.

Yes yr weird , now play the newest version already

10+ Year Old Account
    Pft, I'm nearly 24, and still like pokemon, I've liked it for fuck knows how many years now. So no, you're not "defective" for liking it. We all have our own hobbies, sports, hiking, ect. playing pokemon is one of your hobbies.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you should be introduced to the original Pokemon! thread which went to 3548 pages. Or perhaps the new Pokemon, Part 2 which is currently on it's 255th page.

PS: You are not alone out there!

Deleted
    Not because of playing Pokemon, no.

Pokemon is a classic japanese RPG with a collection aspect. Just becasue the anime is aimed towards kids doesn't mean you can't enjoy it becasue you are too old.

The best part of beeing an adult is that you no longer have to pretend beeing one.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I love pokemon, and I'm much older than you are. If you're defective, than I don't want to know what I am... >.<
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    No.. and I believe a lot more people like it/are interested in it than willingly admit to it.
    I've never made a secret out of the fact that I still play Pokemon and buy every single game the day it's released. At first you get this reaction of a kind of stunned awe, but a lot of people will actually want to try it themselves when invited to play.
    Just at work, 3 people have gone and bought their own 3DS because I let them try out mine, and those people haven't played many video games since they were 16 or so. They appreciate seeing that all the old stuff they played as kids is still alive and well and love to play Mario, Pokemon etc again at the age of 30+.
    They said their spouse/boy-/girlfriend was kind of surprised when they brought it home, ended up playing themselves 2 days later.
    I don't know, but for a lot of people Nintendo still manages to evoke this sense of childlike wonder with their games.

No one can be called defective for playing what they like.

If you have to ask, then the answer is always Yes

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you know how it is:

And the games are great.