Poll: British Army vs 100 U.S. Marines

Thread: Who would win?

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Here is one thing that would change everything: just one war helicopter. Seeing something incomprehensible in the sky slaying rows of soldiers would probably cause all the British to flee. Especially since they have no means of hitting it.
    A single Humvee would probably cause them to crap their collective drawers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Marines would have no problem sweeping through a camp of sleeping British soldiers in tents. They'd be in and out before the Reds knew what happened.

Night vision wouldn't have to last long, a few nights of that and most British would desert. AN/PVS-14 night vision lasts about two days on a single AA battery.
    dude there isnt even enough time in one night to kill 100k people with knives if you are only 100. thats more then 1 kill per minute required. and obviously if you do serious damage the first night the second night won't be so easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    The marine mortars would be more than enough to inflict despair.. Just magically blowing up would probably be more unnerving.
    To think of it, just one sniper on a large distance in the mountains, shooting the leaders, could cause quite a havoc.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    Doesn't matter how well trained and equipped modern marines are. They'd simply be overrun fighting that many enemies. It probably wouldn't take long either.
    Again, when the Brit's see entire front lines dropping in a matter of seconds from unfathomable distances you think that army is not going to lose its taste for blood real quick?

A standard issue AR style weapon has an effective distance of over 400 yards with IRON SIGHTS on man sized targets.

Do people here really not know how effective modern small arms are?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Again, when the Brit's see entire front lines dropping in a matter of seconds from unfathomable distances you think that army is not going to lose its taste for blood real quick?

A standard issue AR style weapon has an effective distance of over 400 yards with IRON SIGHTS on man sized targets.
    It would be like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Isandlwana but the Brits are the zulu.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Nonsense, If they are shooting in this sweep, they get bayoneted and overwhelemed. If they are killing a few and dissapearing with knives, they'll inflict mininimal casualties for maximum risk, if they get rumbled they are fucked.

Also where do they hide out in the daytime? They are danger close to the British, if they get found its over.
    Who is going to bayonet anyone? The Reds are asleep. There are sentries but they get sniped before hand. Remember, the British have no concept of night time warfare. They aren't prepared for what they can't conceive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    dude there isnt even enough time in one night to kill 100k people with knives if you are only 100. thats more then 1 kill per minute required. and obviously if you do serious damage the first night the second night won't be so easy.
    Like many of us have said, Marines win the psychological war first. Most Brits would just peace out.

It would be like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Isandlwana but the Brits are the zulu.
    That is an absolutely terrible comparison.

The force multiplier between modern weapon tech of now and what happened there is not even close.

Deleted
    Who is going to bayonet anyone? The Reds are asleep. There are sentries but they get sniped before hand. Remember, the British have no concept of night time warfare. They aren't prepared for what they can't conceive.
    Sniper rifles are pretty loud...

That is only with advantage of 10 to 1 too. People here thinking 1120 to 1 is winnable for the outnumbered faction are completely delusional.

That is an absolutely terrible comparison.

The force multiplier between modern weapon tech of now and what happened there is not even close.
    Nor is 10 to 1 odds anywhere comparable to 1120 to 1. It was "terrible comparison" because the numbers were over 100 times off still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Do people here really not know how effective modern small arms are?
    I think most keep assuming that every single Red would have to be killed. This simply isn't the case. They're hung up on the huge numbers and not the reality of what facing things you have no concept of does to the human mind.

Deleted
    Like many of us have said, Marines win the psychological war first. Most Brits would just peace out.
    yeah i wish you luck convincing any group of 100 marines that they can win against 120k trained people (sure trained differently but still trained) whos only objective is them, without the support they are accustomed to.

you'd lose the psychological war right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That is only with advantage of 10 to 1 too. People here thinking 1120 to 1 is winnable for the outnumbered faction are completely delusional.
    Oh well, everyone has an opinion. We tried nicely explaining it to you. I'm sad you have to start being insulting. This was a fun conversation and pretty fascinating to ponder.

You aren't right of course, the Marines would win easily. I can only explain the differences in force so many ways. Maybe someone else can come up with a more eloquent and easy to understand way than me. Night kiddos.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i wish you luck convincing any group of 100 marines that they can win against 120k trained people (sure trained differently but still trained) whos only objective is them, without the support they are accustomed to.

you'd lose the psychological war right there.
    The Marines I know would say hell yeah they would win.

I think most keep assuming that every single Red would have to be killed. This simply isn't the case. They're hung up on the huge numbers and not the reality of what facing things you have no concept of does to the human mind.
    Did the vietcong give up despite terrible casualties in every engagement? Remind me again how the war ended

Point being, if your enemy is determined to kill you, then yes, you need to win by killing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    they wouldn't be facing anything unimaginable. they would be facing guns, just guns that can shoot a lot farther and faster. thats not a huge leap to make. a army like that is also used to heavy casualties so thats nothing new for them. even if they can't see the marines they can still pull the bullets from their guys.

the only scary part for them would be that at first they would assume they were up against a much larger force then they actually were, once they scout out the rough size of the marine force they can just win with overwhelming force.

10+ Year Old Account
    death would win. it always wins.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Sniper rifles are pretty loud...
    They make a little device now a days to help mask the source of the bang now a days...

Deleted

The Marines I know would say hell yeah they would win.
    Really? I thought modern military training focused a lot on staying alive. I figured your average soldier would be trained to avoid suicide missions and to evade and hide if you can.

I mean theres a lot of bravado in the military sure but that's because they know they won't be sent into guaranteed losses on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post

Nor is 10 to 1 odds anywhere comparable to 1120 to 1. It was "terrible comparison" because the numbers were over 100 times off still.
    The odds are irrelevant because not every Brit is going to go down fighting. Huge swaths of them are going to think better of their lust for blood in short order.

There is an entire topic you can read up on when it comes to psychological warfare.

Brits will literally be dying before they can even see what is killing them. That one multiplier is going to begin a snowball of second guessing.

10+ Year Old Account
    they wouldn't be facing anything unimaginable. they would be facing guns, just guns that can shoot a lot farther and faster. thats not a huge leap to make. a army like that is also used to heavy casualties so thats nothing new for them. even if they can't see the marines they can still pull the bullets from their guys.

the only scary part for them would be that at first they would assume they were up against a much larger force then they actually were, once they scout out the rough size of the marine force they can just win with overwhelming force.
    The British would never find the marines.. the Marines would see a scouting parting coming, they would either kill them or simply move. Marine mortar teams would never be found, ever in that era. This alone is enough to make the British give up. HE weaponry that can't be found will destroy them psychologically.

There is a small chance a sniper team would be found but highly unlikely and in the event they were found a scouting party from that era would be noticed and counter measures would be taken. The scouting party would not return if the team was found, they'd have no chance of escape.

if the brits used the old battle formations and lined up to get mowed down, it all depends on how much ammo the marines have.