Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Oh he is absolutely suggesting jail for them. Passive aggressive style which is the norm coming from the left.
    You do not appear to have watched the video, as he does not suggest jailing them now, he is clearly saying that if they have been found out further down the line to have been deliberately misleading and that has harmed society, then they should face prosecution.

And if you are on the right, then why would you not want criminals prosecuted? What right wing are you on that is advocating being soft on crime and criminals? "Tough on crime" is kind of our thing on the right.

Its not the right thats the threat for mass genocide, its the left. Before you start I was an anti-Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr and anti-war Democrat too.

I think they're are just as many on the right as there are on the left that have stated they'd like to see all the people on the other side of the party line rounded up and shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup.
    He clearly wants skeptics rounded up. Guy is a fanatic.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure why not. That would leave about 10% of the population left

- - - Updated - - -

Its not the right thats the threat for mass genocide, its the left. Before you start I was an anti-Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr and anti-war Democrat too.
    You're misrepresenting his stance. If people are malicious and purposefully misleading the public then he thinks criminal investigations are warranted. He doesn't want to jail skeptics as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Additionally, the guy's got a BS in Engineering; why does everyone act like he's God's gift to science?
    God's Gift to Science? Seems like an oxymoron.

Besides, we're all Atheists over here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    You're misrepresenting his stance. If people are malicious and purposefully misleading the public then he thinks criminal investigations are warranted. He doesn't want to jail skeptics as a whole.
    The line between being ignorant and criminally negligent is often abused by prosecutors and defendants.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The line between being ignorant and criminally negligent is often abused by prosecutors and defendants.
    Which is why the courts have this whole thing called "reasonable doubt". Prosecutor has to do a whole lot more than just point his finger and say "he knew and he lied".

He's going to have to show evidence that the defendant deliberately mislead the public.

You can go ahead and spin it like Bill Nye wants to jail all of you, or you can simply read his comments in context and realize that's open to punishing the people in the industries who, get ready for it:
    1) Knew decades ago that global warming was not only real, but that the warming trend is largely caused by human emissions,
    2) and funded groups whose sole purpose was to spin and cast doubt.

At some point you guys need to sit down and realize that the people responsible for funding dumb arguments like 'no global warming for X years' and 'polar ice caps are recovering' know themselves that it's full of it. We've already discovered (to nobody's surprise) that Exxon knew all these arguments were false at least 4 decades ago but still promoted them.

So, yeah. Go ahead and scream that the sky is falling when Bill Nye suggests that people who knowingly, intentionally promoted lies in order to prevent changes to policy that would hurt their business model despite being in the public interest.

It's completely implausible that the largest promoters of denial don't know they're promoting lies. You don't become wildly successful in industry without being able to understand and assess risks to your business model. In the case of Exxon, for example, we actually know that they knew.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2016-04-19 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    God's Gift to Science? Seems like an oxymoron.

Besides, we're all Atheists over here.
    Over where? And what makes you think I'm not an atheist?

But the on topic point, I don't see why anyone cares what Bill Nye thinks.

Well...you're talking about "God's Gift". Atheists don't believe in God and therefore find it even more unlikely he has left any presents.

10+ Year Old Account

But the on topic point, I don't see why anyone cares what Bill Nye thinks.
    Because pop scientists make people feel smart.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

So, first he comes with a pseudoscientific theory about the climate changes caused by CO2 emission, and now he wants to suppress his opponents?

Hadn't people learned anything from the previous "ozone holes" hoax?

As much as I like the guy, I gotta disagree with this sentiment. Jailing scientists for what they view as scientifically accurate is a slippery slope towards limiting scientific discovery and free speech.

We can't allow that to happen. Even if we disagree with each other.

Oh he is absolutely suggesting jail for them. Passive aggressive style which is the norm coming from the left.
    He really isn't. He doesn't even imply that. His comments were about anyone who may have falsified data for their own agenda. The people who do that are the reason why there are people who think vaccines cause autism for example, even though there is no link between the two. Shit like that SHOULD be a jailable offense. Don't turn this into a "left versus right" or a "right versus left" argument, because that's not what's going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Well...you're talking about "God's Gift". Atheists don't believe in God and therefore find it even more unlikely he has left any presents.
    Over here, and by that I mean in the United States, we speak a language known as English. We have things known as "euphemisms" which are expressions that substitute for others. I often use other euphemisms, including some that involve the names of certain religious figures, in direct violation of the fourth commandment. I would doubt, however, that anyone listening to me would mistake my exclamations as expressions of faith. You might, though, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am.
    I assume, then, that you've got both a BS degree and work experience in a STEM field and have experience teaching university-level science courses?

Because pop scientists make people feel smart.
    I'm not ripping on the guy. He seems like an alright guy, he's got an engineering degree from an Ivy League school, he's done pretty good for himself, but he's not exactly a Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    As much as I like the guy, I gotta disagree with this sentiment. Jailing scientists for what they view as scientifically accurate is a slippery slope towards limiting scientific discovery and free speech.

We can't allow that to happen. Even if we disagree with each other.
    That isn't what he is saying.
    He is not talking about jailing people that legitimately believe climate change is not real.
    He is talking about jailing those that know it is real and have been deliberately misleading people that it is not.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    And around here people want other people fired because they don't like a feature being developed for a game they play. We're all assholes.