Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I see no issues with having the weekly lunch across the street from the school. To me, it just sounds like the school is trying to be obtuse about the whole thing.
    Pretty much this. This would be different if the lunch were taking place on school grounds, but from what I gather, this park is a public place. I don't think the administration has any right to do what they're doing here. In fact, it almost comes across as harassment to me.

The nice man in the white van with candy isn't doing anything on school grounds either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Fortunately these are teenagers. They would be much more difficult to reach than small children. There is a reason religions start their indoctrinating at such a young age. Fill their head with their stories before they have experiences with reality so they can't use experience and wisdom to question the stories they are being told.
    And luckily that isn't the case here.

Which is why I don't understand why people are so upset over it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    The nice man in the white van with candy isn't doing anything on school grounds either.
    Let's also keep in mind these are not young children; they are in high school. Many of them have their own cars, and could go have sex during lunch if they wanted to. Why are we acting as if they are some helpless, little, innocent, overly impressionable idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Let's also keep in mind these are not young children; they are in high school. Many of them have their own cars, and could go have sex during lunch if they wanted to. Why are we acting as if they are some helpless, little, innocent, overly impressionable idiots?
    Peer-pressured teenagers are easy pickings for a seasoned peddler of religion. A 9th grader can't be counted on being able to successfully challenge even something as basic as "why are there still monkeys", especially with all the incentives (free lunch) being against even trying.

Question
    how is it any thread that even mentions Muslim or Islam is quickly shut down and infraction handed out like candy on Halloween
    but this thread which is nothing but 26 pages of bashing Christianity is allowed to remain open?

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Sure, but it'd be perfectly valid to call the cops on the nice man in the white van if you think he's acting suspicious. The people hosting the lunch in a public place aren't doing anything illegal or even suspicious. If the school administration has a problem with it, they should be getting the police or lawyers involved (which probably won't go anywhere, because again, these people aren't doing anything illegal).

15+ Year Old Account
    Because children, by definition, don't have fully developed brains, which are susceptible to sky god fables.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Question
    how is it any thread that even mentions Muslim or Islam is quickly shut down and infraction handed out like candy on Halloween
    but this thread which is nothing but 26 pages of bashing Christianity is allowed to remain open?
    There is a shocking double standard throughout the world when it comes to Muslims and Islam. But people refuse to see it and refuse to accept it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

How about a science lunch?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because teenagers brains are still very impressionable. Acting like they're adults with fully formed brains is pretty ignorant.
    They are old enough to choose to have sex, something that can have life changing consequences, but eating a free lunch provided by Christians, well they just can't handle that decision on their own.

My head hurts, I need to stop reading GOT for a while

To bad this wasn't about Muslims, it would have been locked by now

- - - Updated - - -

Question
    I agree, nothing is being done to the people who are openly bashing religion, It's probably time to message a blue mod since the ones here can't do their job
    Last edited by zenkai; 2016-04-19 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that certainly isn't true. If it were there wouldn't be statutory rape laws that cover them.
    Since the age of me being aware of the world around me, I have seen Teenagers be treated less and less Teenager like. When I was 16, I got my learners permit, and had a job. On my 17th bday, I got my full drivers license. The age for these things have since changed.

When I was 17, it was legal to purchase cigarettes. Now it is 19, and the state wants to try and push it to 20 or 21.

Eventually, Adulthood will legally begin at 21 if we keep up the trend of treating young adults, like they are still 10 years old. There was a time when an 18 year old would have been working for a few years, saving money, and getting married and buying a house all before the age of 21. Now we call 18 year olds "kids" and expect them to live at home till they are 30.

We need to stop coddling the youth, they aren't our precious little babies. They are Men and Women, not little girls and boys.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Question
    Didn't you know that Christianity is the cause of every single problem in the world?!?

If some of the people that despise faith so much put half the amount of effort into educating themselves, there would be a lot more Christians in the world and a lot less hatred and plain ignorance.

But that takes some responsibility and a belief in something other than yourself so it's probably too hard for some.

An absurd premise. The school has no legal ground of dictating discourse in this public park unless they have direct control of it. If this was the official school playground on protected school grounds, this would be a different story.

@anyone claiming you don't want them preaching religion at children: you are missing the point. I don't particularly want that either, but the actual issue is where this occurs. You can't suddenly restrict people from preaching their cult because minors are the recipient. This would lead to restriction of free speech in virtually all public areas. The school needs to either assume control of the park, or cease harassment of the evangelists in this case.
    The school's position seemed to be that, since they lease the park from the city during school hours, the park could be seen as an extension of the campus...in which case they would be right to try and stop the Jesus Lunch.:

School district officials recently sent a letter to parents, expressing concerns about the event and urging parents to end it.

The letter said school officials “believe that religious or political events do not have a place in our schools or on our campus, except when sponsored by a student group in accordance with our rules, which require prior approval.
    As it turns out, since it is not an exclusive lease, they really do not have any authority. So, yes, the school was in the wrong here...but it seems it was mostly just a misunderstanding about where the school's authority ends.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that certainly isn't true. If it were there wouldn't be statutory rape laws that cover them.
    It's somewhat true. Statutory Rape laws cover them from sex with people over the age of 18 but not necessarily from sex with people in their own age group. Individual states have different thresholds when it comes to setting what the Age of Consent is.

its simple. any student that leaves the school property during school hours is reprimanded accordingly.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    its simple. any student that leaves the school property during school hours is reprimanded accordingly.
    The school has an Open Campus policy during lunch hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    The school has an Open Campus policy during lunch hours.
    Right. And if the school has concerns about the students leaving, they can change that policy.

Right. And if the school has concerns about the students leaving, they can change that policy.
    That would kind of be going for the nuclear option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    That would kind of be going for the nuclear option.
    I'm with you. I am in the camp of, It isn't against the law, and it isn't on school property, so the school should mind their own business. But if there is anything at all the school can do, it would be to change the policy. That is really their only option.

I'm with you. I am in the camp of, It isn't against the law, and it isn't on school property, so the school should mind their own business. But if there is anything at all the school can do, it would be to change the policy. That is really their only option.
    I think most people are not understanding that it was the school's impression that, because they do have a lease on the park during school hours, the park was an extension of campus grounds...which, if true, would certainly make it their business.

The city however feels that, because the lease is not exclusive, there is nothing stopping the parents from doing their Jesus lunch. So, yes...the school was in the wrong by trying to stop it...but they thought they were in the right.