Poll: ?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    and what'll happen to our bodies? the vitamin D we get from the sun and our way of life? the global economy downfall
    The sun doesn't disappear. What the fuck kind of sources are you reading from.

10+ Year Old Account
    not only the ash will be deadly but the super earthquakes and tsunamis that'll form and the storms also will be devasting to all life
    You really really need to stop with this doomsday nonsense that based on having very little understanding of geology or the yellowstone area in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Billions won't die.

We've gone through this already. At a much lower tech level. It's kinda shitty, but it's not devastating unless you're beneath the actual eruption area / get buried in ash by being nearby.
    Uhhh, since Humanity hasn't gone through something like Yellowstone, I'd like to tag a big "maybe" to your statement. We as a species are much, much more reliant on artificial terraforming, artificial energy production and technology keeping us afloat. Once harvest fails for a couple of years, billions will die. Africa will be gone, China will have a huge ass food crisis. Forget India. Europe? We got reserves and we like doing shit in factories and greenhouses... we could probably get away with less deaths, but those countries are fucked...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Climate change?
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Just move away from the west coast? :P
    I'm in Chicago

The base of the issue is that the west was built not knowing the fault line exists. The strongest san andreas earthquake possible is only 2% of the cascadia one. At this point, it's too expensive to go back and retro-fit every building affected by this.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    What? Africa is the shit, man. Everyone who was there told me it was awesome. So much so that I'm going to make that my next continent off my bucket list! Yes, that's right Asia. Suck it!
    I dunno, man. Not so big on sentient reprogrammed police robots pulling heists, throwing ninja stars, and stealing cars.

The sun doesn't disappear. What the fuck kind of sources are you reading from.
    the ashcloud will block the sun
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kretan View Post
    I'm in Chicago

The base of the issue is that the west was built not knowing the fault line exists. The strongest san andreas earthquake possible is only 2% of the cascadia one. At this point, it's too expensive to go back and retro-fit every building affected by this.
    I used to live in an apt in Seattle built in the 1930's and had very little in the way of retrofitting :x scary

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You really really need to stop with this doomsday nonsense that based on having very little understanding of geology or the yellowstone area in general.
    its not doomsday nonsense, its what i've learned about the volcano. i read about it every summer and this is what people have been telling me
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

and what'll happen to our bodies? the vitamin D we get from the sun and our way of life? the global economy downfall
    We're talking extinction here, bare survival. A large part of us will simply starve, because harvests will go missing... but Vitamin D? If Yellowstone erupts we'll have a Winter, but it won't be like.. PITCH BLACK. We'll have days where it'll be merely hazy and you can tank up on dat Vitamin D!

Also, the scandinavian countries have by now gotten really far in articifial sunlight research. You wouldn't believe how great they are with lamps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I dunno, man. Not so big on sentient reprogrammed police robots pulling heists, throwing ninja stars, and stealing cars.
    What? Africa does that? Since when? Did I do a Fry and wake up in another century?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Uhhh, since Humanity hasn't gone through something like Yellowstone, I'd like to tag a big "maybe" to your statement. We as a species are much, much more reliant on artificial terraforming, artificial energy production and technology keeping us afloat. Once harvest fails for a couple of years, billions will die. Africa will be gone, China will have a huge ass food crisis. Forget India. Europe? We got reserves and we like doing shit in factories and greenhouses... we could probably get away with less deaths, but those countries are fucked...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Preeeettty damn close to what yellowstone would do, unless we're talking it's doing the maximum of any volcano could ever do.

Yes, it was pretty shitty. No, billions didn't die, and the fact that we HAVE artificial means makes it EASIER.. given that you can grow plants without the use of the sun, at all. There's also the fact that not all plants need extraordinary amounts of sunlight all the time, and can survive, as well as animals being able to be fed non-locally, which would provide a great deal of food for people.

This also doesn't take into account the mass amounts we have canned, preserved, and otherwise stored that would keep a population afloat for quite some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not doomsday nonsense, its what i've learned about the volcano. i read about it every summer and this is what people have been telling me
    People? Or VOlcanologists and climatologts and geologists and meteorologists? Because About the only accurate thing is the ash cloud affecting the globe (but its not a humanity killer) and possibly the earthquakes post explosion because an emptying of the lava chamber will release pressure.

If by "block" you mean dim sunlight, yes. If by "block" you mean the spartan "arrows will block out the sun", no. It doesn't work like that with dust.

That blocks visible light (and not even all or most of it). It doesn't block anything else. This is why we're noting your information on this subject is sketchy at BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    BAM!
    bye bye murica.
    and bye normal sunlight for some quite some time.
    and hello good, cold, shitty, depressing winter.

good-bye to a huge chunk of the world's food too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Preeeettty damn close to what yellowstone would do, unless we're talking it's doing the maximum of any volcano could ever do.

Yes, it was pretty shitty. No, billions didn't die, and the fact that we HAVE artificial means makes it EASIER.. given that you can grow plants without the use of the sun, at all. There's also the fact that not all plants need extraordinary amounts of sunlight all the time, and can survive, as well as animals being able to be fed non-locally, which would provide a great deal of food for people.

This also doesn't take into account the mass amounts we have canned, preserved, and otherwise stored that would keep a population afloat for quite some time.
    For 1-2 years I'm actually more concerned about the energy consumption. I think scientists are also looking into this... see, since it'll be a lot, A LOT colder, we'll produce a shitton more energy to keep us heatet. It'll drive cabondioxide amounts in the air up like nothing before and that could actually make global warming a very acute problem medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I used to live in an apt in Seattle built in the 1930's and had very little in the way of retrofitting :x scary
    Yup. And even worse, Portland doesn't have anything resembling the early warning detection system of Japan. It goes in to much more detail in the article I linked 2 pages back or so, but Japan has a system to alert you 90 seconds before an earthquake to shut down public transportation, halt surgeries, get people off elevators, and other critical things to save lives. The entire city of portland is going to be FUBAR'd.

7+ Year Old Account
    vitamin D pills?
    + you know, the sun wont suddenly stop existing because a volcano exploded on earth.

Formerly known as Arafal

It would help if you knew what you were talking about and not take everyone's opinion at face value.

there isn't a "no" option because its factual information that this volcano -will- erupt at somepoint.
    Except the question was "Will Yellowstone erupt this year?". So "No" is a legitimate answer, because while it may be inevitable at some point, it's not inevitable this year.

So, no.