Poll: ?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Failing to understand scaling doesn't make you right, unless you believe 1/7th+ of the population died during that time.
    I understand scaling just fine.

I was just poking fun at you saying billions didn't die during a time period when the world would be lucky to have a billion people inhabiting it in total.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, not this year. The signs would be more noticeable, most likely. But we are hundreds or thousands of years late from the expected eruption, so it can indeed happen anytime, but perhaps only in the next 1000 years or later.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    i'm trying to remember some random tangent my teacher went on like... 8 years ago...

but it was soemthing tied to the lightning strikes you can see present within the ash cloud of some eruptions. But anyway there's still the posible chance of just forcing the areas to strain their electrical grid to the point of going down at the very least. Either by destroying key buildings or as a side effect of human interference in a reactionary event that isn't directly tied to an eruption naturally.
    I mean.. the west coast won't have power for a while, yeah. Power is going to collapse, and everything is going to be gummed up by cement. It'd require a complete rebuilt. East coast.. might have power. Depending on how much is thrown at them and how far away they are. Middle.. probably won't have power, just too much gummed up works.

Europe? Will probably have power, it'd be iffy on the coastal areas. Africa? Same. Asia, even less of an issue, depending on winds (i believe they go more eastwards, however). Australia, absolutely.

Dealing with the strain would be the issue, as heating, food-growing (lights and heat, as well as irrigation controls) would go absolutely insane. On the other hand.. public transpo would drop to zero, as would anything that required outdoor activities (sporting events would be decimated).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    I understand scaling just fine.

I was just poking fun at you saying billions didn't die during a time period when the world would be lucky to have a billion people inhabiting it in total.
    listen, i can't be responsible for numbers i write!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    You're a kind soul. I wish you well.

Self-sufficiency isn't a lie. Dark times are coming, Ms Crissi. I hope you survive them.
    I think true self sufficiency would be hard to accomplish, as that means no community involvement and likely means a shorter life span. Now if we're talking small communities, yeah I think those can happen if one is to accept a much lower quality of life.

but Im in North Texas, an area that, while not completely royally ruined beyond repair like Wyoming and Montana, would still be seriously hurt form the ash. So, I either go South to Mexico or hope the East takes Texas residents as refugees

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    More concerned about Mount Paektu
    Yeah... especially since fatso dictator set off his hydrogen bomb not far away from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    but Im in North Texas, an area that, while not completely royally ruined beyond repair like Wyoming and Montana, would still be seriously hurt form the ash. So, I either go South to Mexico or hope the East takes Texas residents as refugees
    You won't go south if Drumpf has any say in it. There'd be a huge ass wall in the way.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The article sounds a bit sensationalist and is a bit thin on information side most likely because it's classic tabloid material. Anyways, it's of the same level of estimating whether Betelgeuse will go supernova tomorrow. Answer: Maybe.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Acording to the Mayan calender, it was suposed to have erupted in December 2012, just after Nibiru crashed against earth, but the freaking rogue planet missed.

Did i answer the question?

You think you want to vote no, but you really don't.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

I doubt it will erupt this year, but I'm also not a fancy Geo/volcano scientist person thingy so what do I know. I'm surprised I have gotten that far to be on the "no" side of this argument seeing as when I was a kid I was freaking out so badly about the Y2K thing, my AWESOME dad cut the lights at midnight and I couldn't stop crying for like 30 minutes (sad I know).

I do know there are some awesome documentary's about the possible Yellowstone eruption and you all should go watch them when you get bored!

15+ Year Old Account
    Man it's gonna be a blast, maybe i should come over and do some volcano watching.

Since the question is "Do you think it'll erupt this year?" and you're asking for our OPINIONS, you really should include "No" as an answer.

I'm predicting it won't erupt this year, but some time in the next 1000 years? Sure.

Deleted
    Moronic poll. Nobody knows when it'll erupt, could be next month or 5 years from now. By your logic the poll should o ly include " I don't know" as an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yes, definitely.

Trust me I'm a scientist, just like everyone else on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    you sure? south africa is quite nice looking.
    Oh, yeah, Africa is beautiful. The best thing about that pic, though, is that it doesn't show Africans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.