Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Dragonball Z all over again.
    Sad truth.. I actually never seen that movie.. never will. Same likely goes for this GitS movie as well.

Yep, though I'm sure some people in here felt it was fine because Goku was an alien so why should he be played by a Japanese actor =P

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Saiyans are Japanese? Aren't they aliens?
    Called it.

Don't care about casting, I just don't want this movie to happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Those panels are not from Masamune Shirow's hand. The line quality is way off.

Anyways ScarJo blinks way too much for an actor let alone a cyborg.
    i am not a big fan of the teenage looking major at all

Deleted

Also, since when does Goku look anything like a Japanese boy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

Also, since when does Goku look anything like a Japanese boy?
    Didn't you know all Japanese boys have muscles as big as a watermelon and powerlevels over 9000. The give away is all asian people have black spikey hair.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    to be honest this is also my opinion. Anime/Manga to Movie? idk if it can ever capture the magic.

There exists a quality to anime that RL just cannot capture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I'm of the same mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Because that's literally what's going on? It's the same reason why we see the Simpsons as being white. There are scholarly journals and many blog posts that explain this in great detail, but it's American fans who are the ones saying this. Even with what little anime I've seen I can still recognize that most anime characters aren't white, because as has been stated by many people, it's the context, accent and other features that often distinguish different ethnicity, and white characters are most often drawn as blonde, blue-eyed and with a much longer nose.

What constitutes a good reason to you? Because to me, taking a well-known Japanese IP and making the majority of the cast as non-Japanese or Asian actors simply because it never explicitly states that the characters are not, in fact, white is bad form. It's a problem because they keep doing that, like in the Hunger Games (read the book description of Katniss), Pan (Tiger Lilly), Noah (almost everyone was white, and only two of the actors were Jewish) and that's just some recent examples that weren't based on a true story but still had white actors play real-live people who are not white.

Seriously, just go on Google Scholar and read some of the many articles on whitewashing, or ones about how not having characters that look like you portrayed in media can affect you. To me, that's more than a good enough reason.
    You're raising all excellent points, and I agree with mostly everything you've said. I think they're mostly falling on deaf ears. People here really want all white protagonists all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    You're raising all excellent points, and I agree with mostly everything you've said. I think they're mostly falling on deaf ears. People here really want all white protagonists all the time.
    Name me a asain actor that can do this role. As a matter of fact name me 5 and tell me the movies they was in.

Not a asian cos-player.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    to be honest this is also my opinion. Anime/Manga to Movie? idk if it can ever capture the magic.

There exists a quality to anime that RL just cannot capture.
    This scene is was from 1995 and we can't replicate the same magic in live action. (animated nudity, nothing sexual, don't freak out)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    I agree.. She has a very authoritative voice fitting the role. Actually I have the GitS TV english cast so deeply attached to the character I'll likely struggle with the whole thing.
    Yeah. Sometimes it's a hit or miss with the cast but McGlynn is simply the best. They tried to find someone who sounded like Woods from the original movie and went beyond expectations.
    Last edited by Sett; 2016-04-20 at 05:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

You know many people were upset when that little black girl was casted as Annie. But when it comes to anime it's not that big of a deal, I guess. In that terrible Dragonball some white dude played Goku, lol. But i'm pretty sure hes japanese, isn't he? If I were to make a movie based on an anime, I'm probably going to cast japanese people. Unless they are white in the anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Name me a asain actor that can do this role. As a matter of fact name me 5 and tell me the movies they was in.

Not a asian cos-player.
    https://www.yahoo.com/style/six-japa...161006119.html

Deleted
    This scene is was from 1995 and we can't replicate it in life action.
    What about it couldn't be replicated in a live action film?

This scene is was from 1995 and we can't replicate the same magic in live action.
    "The same magic"? What does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Not a asian cos-player.
    Rinko Kikuchi - who coincidentally is someone that many people in Japan feel should have gotten the role.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452860/

Constance Wu
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2090422/

Bingbing Fan
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1549063/

Jamie Chung
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1512166/

Maggie Q
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0702572/

Claudia Kim
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2263791/

Tao Okamoto
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5148840/

Need more?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    The solution would be to draw them as Asians, and not Caucasians. Its kind of self inflicted.
    http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2009/11/03/anime-film-characters-do-we-pe/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/23tucd/eli5_why_do_the_majority_of_japanese_anime/
    and so forth as was shared earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm im an outlier here, but I've see some pretty diverse looking people in Japan or from there.

What features make Motoko not Japanese?

To thee above, you forgot Chiaki Kuriyama and maybe Rie Miyazawa. Both are taller to boot. Watching some short cyborg is really going to ruin my immersion.

Rinko Kikuchi would have been great. I mean I get why they cast Johansson. Its a movie based on an anime/manga IP with an out there premise. Some well recognized star power to bring in moviegoers is an intelligent decision. I just wish it hadn't been done at the expense of white washing the main character.

I see Wells one-upped me and listed only Japanese actors, not simply Asian actors.

Only one out of that list that I could see doing it was Rinko Kikuchi.

Now I admit that I haven't seen the content any of these actor's was in. But she may be the only one free to do it since the other two I think could are working on Suicide Square and Man in the High Castle. But NONE of those 6 has the same star power as Scar-Joe and if you want this movie to have a decent budget and make profit you need that star power.

To add once again you don't need a asian to do this role at all. How about we wait for the movie to release before judging it.